• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ramsiege

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Very well deserved. Bought the game on a whim having never played any of them before and it's so far my GOTY.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
I was expecting Youngblood to hit the Top 10 in either PS4 or XB1, but nothing at all? Bethesda's marketing team strikes out again.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
...Shadows of Valentia had a more successful month of release in the U.S. than Awakening and Fates? Really?

Mugman

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Had a feeling Three Houses was gonna have bonkers numbers just seeing the buzz going around shortly before it came out. I'd only ever played Sacred Stones before, and that was as a 3DS ambassador. Had almost 0 interest in Three Houses until right before it came out and it's now one of my favorite games of the year. Pretty crazy and well deserved.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
It doesn't surprise me with awakening.

That game has a ton of launch issues.

Fates is weird tho. 2 releases and how you could get the other for 20 as dlc. The explanation was confusing as hell
Fates was released such you only bought either Conquest or Birthright, and then whichever you didn't buy and Revelations were both DLC. So it's not like everyone had to buy both Conquest and Birthright at retail.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
...Shadows of Valentia had a more successful month of release in the U.S. than Awakening and Fates? Really?
Fates I have a hard time believing, but was awakening super successful from the get-go? The series was almost dead so I assume it was successful by WoM, maybe not a strong debut month. Didn't follow sales back then so idk

mjw

Oct 27, 2017
Wow

...Although admittedly I'm a bit more surprised to hear that SoV had the previous best debut for FE. I forgot about that tidbit completely

lord_of_flood

One Winged Slayer
Jan 1, 2018
Incredible performance, and well deserved too. 3H is incredibly addictive and I've had a hard time putting it down.

Didn't know SoV opened that well in the US though. I was always under the impression that it didn't exactly light the charts on fire.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Wait, is this correct? Shadows of Valentia did that well?!?!?! The one that largely flew under the radar? Sure the person being quoted didn't mix it up with Fates???

Yea, Fates was higher. They just didn't count the three SKUs as one.

It's
1) Three Houses
2) Fates (Birthright + Conquest + Bundle LE) https://venturebeat.com/2016/03/10/february-2016-npd/
3) Echoes: Shadows of Valentia https://venturebeat.com/2017/06/19/...es-out-on-top-as-nintendo-games-keep-selling/
4) presumably Awakening, haven't looked it up

quoting my edit for page 2

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Incredible performance, and well deserved too. 3H is incredibly addictive and I've had a hard time putting it down.

Didn't know SoV opened that well in the US though. I was always under the impression that it didn't exactly light the charts on fire.
It didn't, Fates did better. They just decided to not count all three SKUs which creates this twiligt zone scenario here.

Rotimi

Banned
Dec 25, 2017
Jos , Nigeria
We really need clarification of SOV
TheMoon thanks for clarifying. Glad to see the series do well. Not a fan of strategy rpgs might give a try when I get a Switch

Last edited:

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If anything this proves that FE doesn't need any "hentai-like" design to be a huge seller. Cause TH doesn't have any.
Like no games really need this and I swear I still don't understand this mindset that games do better with "hentai like" design. To appeal to a bigger population you DON'T need that. All you do is cater to a smaller demographic.

Now, there can be some exceptions if that's the type of game it's meant to be. Fire Emblem didn't need it. Three Houses doesn't need it to appeal to a larger audience.

OP
OP
Raijinto

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's
1) Three Houses
2) Fates (Birthright + Conquest + Bundle LE) https://venturebeat.com/2016/03/10/february-2016-npd/
3) Echoes: Shadows of Valentia https://venturebeat.com/2017/06/19/...es-out-on-top-as-nintendo-games-keep-selling/
4) presumably Awakening, haven't looked it up

quoting my edit for page 2

So I assume that Mat is not combining Fates here when he says SoV made the most money? So SoV made more than any of Birthright, Conquest or complete but less than all 3 combined basically.

Man Fates was a bit of a mess really.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
So I assume that Mat is not combining Fates here when he says SoV made the most money? So SoV made more than any of Birthright, Conquest or complete but less than all 3 combined basically.

Man Fates was a bit of a mess really.
Yea the "official NPD data" has them separated and presents the "official NPD reading" of the performance of Fates vs Echoes: SoV as the latter landing higher. It's pretty misleading. As you can see in Zuge's twitter thread, they had previously combined SKUs for Smash 4 so it's willy nilly.

Drax

Oregon tag
Oct 25, 2017

Nintendo was really really conservative with Awakening shipments. To be honest, I actually think this helped though as it created a frothing demand for the game.

Fates had the SKU issue.

Agent_J

Oct 30, 2017
If anything this proves that FE doesn't need any "hentai-like" design to be a huge seller. Cause TH doesn't have any.
Dude I'm almost 80 hours in and adore the game but the game's intro video shows a class of thirsty students ogling at bouncy anime breasts almost popping out before we see this is an instructor of the class, then we see her face. It's full of cringey shit like this that I would happily do without.

lord_of_flood

One Winged Slayer
Jan 1, 2018
It didn't, Fates did better. They just decided to not count all three SKUs which creates this twiligt zone scenario here.
I see. I forgot that NPD tracks individual SKUs for games with different versions, which is the same thing they do with Pokemon IIRC (though I guess another user mentioned that both of Smash 4's SKUs were combined, so there's definitely some inconsistency).

Nightbird

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Dude I'm almost 80 hours in and adore the game but the game's intro video shows a class of thirsty students ogling at bouncy anime breasts almost popping out before we see this is an instructor of the class, then we see her face. It's full of cringey shit like this that I would happily do without.

While that scene you're talking was really out of place, I wouldn't say the game is full of stuff like that.

The next weirdest thing is that thing with the camera you can do at the end of a teaparty, other than that the game is really tame.

ZhugeEX

Senior Analyst at Niko Partners
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Note. NPD separates the SKU's for Fire Emblem Fates into Birthright, Conquest and Special. In terms of dollar sales, Three Houses still has the highest opening in the series, even when combining SKU's for Fates. In terms of LTD, dollar sales for Fates would actually be higher than Awakening if you combine the three SKU's.

Anyway. FE:TH > 300k in the US (Put > to show with digital it'd be higher).

Last edited:

Tochtli79

Jun 27, 2019
Mexico City
The series has never been more popular! The Switch is a best seller! It's the perfect time to translate and port over the Japanese exclusive games! But Nintendo.

Rotimi

Banned
Dec 25, 2017
Jos , Nigeria
I see. I forgot that NPD tracks individual SKUs for games with different versions, which is the same thing they do with Pokemon IIRC (though I guess another user mentioned that both of Smash 4's SKUs were combined, so there's definitely some inconsistency).
Probably just counted it as a multiplatform game like they do others. While the others like pokemon are skus on the same system so they separate them. Probably has to do with how they analyze the data

Edit: guessing the System they are using adds skus to get multiplatform Charts from individual platform charts, but doesn't support addition of different skus on one platform

Last edited:

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
As someone that has been with FE since the beginning of its releases in the US, I am over the moon at this series' success. To think that only a few years ago Awakening was planned to be the last entry in the series for a long time, if not ever, and now firmly one of the biggest revenue drivers (including Heroes, of course).

On par at retail with MUA1 launch month which was a multiplat. So it is even ahead when factoring digital sales.
That's awesome if true, where does this info come from though?

Jan 9, 2018
I see I'm much too late to make the obvious "talent won" posts, but man am I glad to see the game do so well. I had a feeling it would based on the hype around it nearing its release, but the best part about it is that the hype hasn't really died down at all. Memes abound everywhere, word of mouth getting non-FE fans interested weeks later, the sheer amount of content has people like me attached to their Switches by the hip still, etc. Can't wait to see what the FE franchise has planned next (past DLC, I mean, but I'm also excited for DLC lol), but I'm also perfectly fine being patient for it since I still have a lot of 3H to get through.

Let's celebrate by singing our national anthem!
gonna start a petition to make the Book 3 theme the new permanent anthem:

Shepherd

Oct 25, 2017
The increasing success of the Fire Emblem series is proof that God exists. Your turn, atheists.

Mobu

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Oof, add another one to the list of Ninty franshises that have become bigger than Metroid

Mobu

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
The big five

Mario
Zelda
Pokemon
Splatoon
Fire emblem

What a time to be alive