Crazy to me that there is such a strong demand for PS5 when there really is not that strong of software yet.
Outside of Mile Morales, there's really not much out there for PS5-specific software for folks to get into. Demon's Souls definitely feels like it's sold just about all it's going to, and titles like Sackboy don't really have the kind of audience on Playstation that they would on Switch. RE8 is definitely going to feel like the first big next gen release, so that will be the one to watch.

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2019
Outside of Mile Morales, there's really not much out there for PS5-specific hardware for folks to get into. Demon's Souls definitely feels like it's sold just about all it's going to, and titles like Sackboy don't really have the kind of audience on Playstation that they would on Switch. RE8 is definitely going to feel like the first big next gen release, so that will be the one to watch.

Oh yeah by the end of the year there will be some killer games, trying to get one of the next generation machines just seems like it's better to just wait until they are easily available. Why go thru the headache right now.

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
So PS5 February is roughly ~290K to ~320K

A good increase from January's ~260K-270K. Could point to a ~400K March if it continues to follow PS4's supply output.

Jan 20, 2019
Outside of Mile Morales, there's really not much out there for PS5-specific software for folks to get into. Demon's Souls definitely feels like it's sold just about all it's going to, and titles like Sackboy don't really have the kind of audience on Playstation that they would on Switch. RE8 is definitely going to feel like the first big next gen release, so that will be the one to watch.

Demon's Souls charts every time their is hardware available so no, it not even close to already sold it all, far from it.

Xevross

Oct 28, 2017
So PS5 February is roughly ~290K to ~320K

A good increase from January's ~260K-270K. Could point to a ~400K March if it continues to follow PS4's supply output.
Yeah that's a good increase. I'd say 285-325k to be safe with rounding errors and whatnot.

So HW revenue increased from $319M to $406M in Jan to Feb with Switch going ~385k -> 613-753k and PS5 going ~265k -> 285-325k. I'm not really sure that leaves much room for xbox to have increased much in Feb. Would need the average sales price of Switch and PS5 going down and/or big drop in sales of others.

Deleted member 11008

User requested account closure
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I would like have got P5S on the Switch (and it's not like I'm shy to have games in the same IP/franchise in multiple systems), but for this genre I put more priority to the framerate. I hope Atlus don't have high expectatives about the sales of the game on the Switch just because Joker is on Smash without have the OG/Royal game on the console.

Deleted member 2145

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

good stuff for ps5 given the stock situation

love that it's basically a given that 3d world will surpass the wii u version within months. will probably pass total wii u sales by year's end lol, that's always been the funniest metric for me with the ports. has mario kart 8 doubled the total wii u install base yet?

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah that's a good increase. I'd say 285-325k to be safe with rounding errors and whatnot.

So HW revenue increased from $319M to $406M in Jan to Feb with Switch going ~385k -> 613-753k and PS5 going ~265k -> 285-325k. I'm not really sure that leaves much room for xbox to have increased much in Feb. Would need the average sales price of Switch and PS5 going down and/or big drop in sales of others.
Let's say PS5 DE is ~20% and Switch Lite is ~35% (Lite was 38% of The America's from April 2020 - December 2020, and the Mario SKU probably bumped that down in February)

PS5: ~$139M - ~$154M
NSW: ~$162M - ~$199M

$301M - $353M

Leaving ~$53M - ~$105M

XBS wouldn't be all of that. Maybe ~5% of that $406M is from others like PS4, XB1, 3DS, micro consoles and the like. That would leave XBS a range of ~$33M - ~$85M

If Series S is ~30% then

~70K (50K/20K)

to

~180K (130K/50K)

Lot of assumptions based on where PS5 and Switch actually are.

Xevross

Oct 28, 2017
Let's say PS5 DE is ~20% and Switch Lite is ~35% (Lite was 38% of The America's from April 2020 - December 2020, and the Mario SKU probably bumped that down in February)

PS5: ~$139M - ~$154M
NSW: ~$162M - ~$199M

$301M - $353M

Leaving ~$53M - ~$105M

XBS wouldn't be all of that. Maybe ~5% of that $406M is from others like PS4, XB1, 3DS, micro consoles and the like. That would leave XBS a range of ~$33M - ~$85M

If Series S is ~30% then

~70K (50K/20K)

to

~180K (130K/50K)

Lot of assumptions based on where PS5 and Switch actually are.
I agree with the math.

January: Switch ~385k, PS5 ~265k, XBS ~130k.

Say Lite is 35%, DE is 20%, S is 33%

That would be $286m for Jan leaving $33m for others, seems about right. So the ranges for Feb makes sense assuming the SKU breakdowns haven't changed.

Bioshocker

Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
We shouldn't take anything for granted, but Nintendo would have to seriously fudge some stuff up for a system to flop if it's their only system and his handheld in some form.

With mainline Pokémon, Mario, Zelda, Animal Crossing Splatoon, etc... guaranteed to release exclusively of its the only platform with a handheld iteration, its almost guaranteed to have a very very high floor that will ensure it doesn't flop.

Sure, but there's quite a gap between a flop and selling 100 million units. :-)

Bioshocker

Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
After nearly 4 decades i kinda have a good grasp about how valuable Nintendo and their IPs are in the video game space. They always sold alot of hardware and software. Every company can fuck things up...sure, but in a one plattform future thats very hard to believe. They are pretty much Disney of the industry.

Like every other company they have to adapt to market changes if necessary to protect their bottoms line, but thats a given.

They're very strong. I admit I underestimated how "easily" they would bounce back after such a massive failure (Wii U). Obviously the Nintendo brand didn't suffer.

hussien-11

Oct 27, 2017
Jordan
They're very strong. I admit I underestimated how "easily" they would bounce back after such a massive failure (Wii U). Obviously the Nintendo brand didn't suffer.

I believe this is where most people, and even professional analysts, made their mistake while forecasting Switch, Looking only at Wii U and not considering 3DS's success and Nintendo's overall big portion of the market. Switch wasn't a Dreamcast situation for Nintendo, because Switch is not only successor to wii U but also 3DS which still managed to sell 75m with some games selling 10-15m copies.

Nintendo still had a big audience in the market. It was impossible for the next device that will receive Mario + Smash + Pokemon to sell as bad as some analysts expected (many expected Wii U-like numbers). I was following retailers closely back then and they were much more optimistic about the device than industry professionals. Switch was also a new branding, so even looking at Wii U alone it wasn't a very direct follow-up.

I remember people made fun of Kimishima when he said Nintendo wants to sell 100m Switch, like how he was dreaming and would hit reality soon, I guess its fair to say... they knew what they were doing after all. though I imagine - based on 3DS sales and Switch initial shipments - Nintendo expected a bigger split for the handheld version of the device than how things are playing out now in huge favor of the hybrid version.

DeuceGamer

Oct 27, 2017
Sure, but there's quite a gap between a flop and selling 100 million units. :-)

Sure, but the post I responded to was about not taking success for granted. They can sell less than 100m and be profitable and successful.

Having all their studios and franchises on one platform assures it's going to be more appealing to the mass market as it's guaranteed to have big selling franchises like Smash, Mario Kart, Animal Crossing, Pokémon, mainline Mario, Zelda, etc...

Even with the mistakes of the 3DS they were able to get it over 75million units. I'm sure they could make bigger mistakes but the floor should be much higher than it has ever been for a Nintendo console moving forward and make successful consoles much more likely IMO.

tiesto

Oct 27, 2017
Long Island, NY
I'm guessing Ys IX was a bomb... even in the official thread, too few people are talking about it. Maybe when the Switch and PC versions get released...it seems RPG players have mostly abandoned the PS4 as their primary platform nowadays.

Deleted member 63122

Banned
Jan 16, 2020
I believe this is where most people, and even professional analysts, made their mistake while forecasting Switch, Looking only at Wii U and not considering 3DS's success and Nintendo's overall big portion of the market. Switch wasn't a Dreamcast situation for Nintendo, because Switch is not only successor to wii U but also 3DS which still managed to sell 75m with some games selling 10-15m copies.

Nintendo still had a big audience in the market. It was impossible for the next device that will receive Mario + Smash + Pokemon to sell as bad as some analysts expected (many expected Wii U-like numbers). I was following retailers closely back then and they were much more optimistic about the device than industry professionals. Switch was also a new branding, so even looking at Wii U alone it wasn't a very direct follow-up.

I remember people made fun of Kimishima when he said Nintendo wants to sell 100m Switch, like how he was dreaming and would hit reality soon, I guess its fair to say... they knew what they were doing after all. though I imagine - based on 3DS sales and Switch initial shipments - Nintendo expected a bigger split for the handheld version of the device than how things are playing out now in huge favor of the hybrid version.
Analyst were careful, but even the most "open minded" analyst felt short. I, personally, think that the Switch success and momentum surprised Nintendo themselves. Even if we take Kimishima's comments to account.

hussien-11

Oct 27, 2017
Jordan
Analyst were careful, but even the most "open minded" analyst felt short. I, personally, think that the Switch success and momentum surprised Nintendo themselves. Even if we take Kimishima's comments to account.

True, but they believed it could be successful enough to sell 100m device (though I think they probably expected a 50/50 or 60/40 split between the console and the handheld), while the majority of hardcore players were extremely dismissive of them even being close to this number. I think it was proved again and again that hardcore players in general don't really understand how and why Nintendo's business model work. You can bet that many still don't understand "who" is buying all those systems and "why", it was obvious when many said Switch's momentum would be affected by the launch of PS5/Xbox Series, despite Switch being alongside PS4/XOne in the market for years and having like 0 effect on each other.

Now what we are hearing and what is actually happening? is they are making themselves ready to ship almost as much as they shipped this fiscal year, which would probably end up being the biggest fiscal year for a home console ever, even bigger than what a strong and popular product like PS4 achieved in the entirety of its lifecycle. Switch is big, there is a real chance its gonna end up being the biggest traditional gaming device of all time.

DeuceGamer

Oct 27, 2017
I'm guessing Ys IX was a bomb... even in the official thread, too few people are talking about it. Maybe when the Switch and PC versions get released...it seems RPG players have mostly abandoned the PS4 as their primary platform nowadays.

I'd be surprised if it didn't do very well on Switch. Will have to see, but I wonder how many were waiting on a Switch version.

I'd be surprised if it didn't do very well on Switch. Will have to see, but I wonder how many were waiting on a Switch version.
I'm pretty sure AniHawk has mentioned that Ys VIII did considerably better on Switch in the west than it did on PS4 on a few occasions. Hard not to see the trend continuing and for Falcom to... keep going like nothing has changed.

DeuceGamer

Oct 27, 2017
I'm pretty sure AniHawk has mentioned that Ys VIII did considerably better on Switch in the west than it did on PS4 on a few occasions. Hard not to see the trend continuing and for Falcom to... keep going like nothing has changed.

Yep, I'm almost certain he did as well. I beliebe he also mentioned Disgaea 5 and I believe there have been several other examples.

GamingCJ

Apr 14, 2019
Falcom only develops for Japanese market, and there all of their fanbase is on PlayStation. Ports to Switch have always bombed.

As a side note: I remember Kondo himself saying in an interview Ys VIII did equal numbers between Playstation and Switch in the West.

DeuceGamer

Oct 27, 2017
Falcom only develops for Japanese market, and there all of their fanbase is on PlayStation. Ports to Switch have always bombed.

As a side note: I remember Kondo himself saying in an interview Ys VIII did equal numbers between Playstation and Switch in the West.

Hard to compare Ys numbers when the Switch releases have always released after the Sony version.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017

Kondo only said Ys VIII Switch sales were to expectations in the west and below expectations in Japan. You might be thinking of Anihawk's comment on Ys VIII which was that Switch launch sales were equal to total PS4+Vita sales.

3rd/4th Falcom ports tend to bomb in Japan regardless of platform. Just like Cold Steel 1-2 did on PS4.

Bioshocker

Oct 28, 2017
Sweden

Yeah and I gladly admit I made a mistake not believing in the Switch at all. Even after that January reveal. There were quite a few respectable people in the gaming industry that were underwhelmed at the time too, so to my defence I wasn't alone. Your arguments make perfect sense. But it's always easy after the fact to say "of course they knew what they were doing" and it was always going to end like this. Like Reggie Fils-Aime stating he "knew" the Switch was going to be a success so he could just as well retire.

The truth is, it's very hard to know beforehand how the market will react, and there were good reasons to doubt that 100 million target at the time. With that said, I sort of admire Nintendo for trying new things with every new console. Their products may not always appeal to me personally but they are at least trying something new.

Dec 21, 2020
Yeah and I gladly admit I made a mistake not believing in the Switch at all. Even after that January reveal. There were quite a few respectable people in the gaming industry that were underwhelmed at the time too, so to my defence I wasn't alone. Your arguments make perfect sense. But it's always easy after the fact to say "of course they knew what they were doing" and it was always going to end like this. Like Reggie Fils-Aime stating he "knew" the Switch was going to be a success so he could just as well retire.

The truth is, it's very hard to know beforehand how the market will react, and there were good reasons to doubt that 100 million target at the time. With that said, I sort of admire Nintendo for trying new things with every new console. Their products may not always appeal to me personally but they are at least trying something new.
I personally hope they stick with this one for a long time lol

It's almost a perfect device from them, needs a couple of kinks ironed out, but other than that it would be a much better upswing.

Bioshocker

Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
I personally hope they stick with this one for a long time lol

It's almost a perfect device from them, needs a couple of kinks ironed out, but other than that it would be a much better upswing.

Seeing how well it's still doing I assume it's going to be a looong generation. It's also hard to imagine that they'll go back to a regular home console after this. But who knows, Nintendo tend to surprise us all.