• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Edit to stay on topic: Anyone have thoughts on MLB The Show? It's performance is impressive & I haven't played a decent baseball game in years. Is this one actually worth picking up?
Yep. Fantastic baseball game and the best sports franchise right now imho :) It looks beautiful btw.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Don't take it personally. There's a defence force on this forum surrounding (of all things) the Switch CPU when people bring up that it struggles to maintain a solid 30fps with modern looking open World games when there's lots of data out these supporting that fact (BotW, Fortnite, XB2, LA Noire, Warframe, Saint's Row, Ark, Dragon's Dogma, AC3).

It's OBVIOUSLY 'lazy dev's' in those instances though and couldn't possibly be hardware related bottlenecks...

Switch wipes the floor with PS360 when it comes to RAM amount, general memory bandwidth, GPU compute aswell as modern engine support. The CPU on the other hand is a 4 core ARM mobile CPU from 2014. It's nothing special, it struggles against PS360's CPU performance in large scale open World games and only has ~40% the compute real World performance against the weakest current gen CPU (base PS4).

IMO, the only reason GTA V isn't on Switch is because Rockstar would want to do an 'in between Gen' sort of Remaster but it's performance with the improved shaders, traffic density and foliage isn't up to it due to Switch's CPU limitations. The test was LA Noire which is much more 'empty' than a potential GTA V Remaster.

Don't @ me. I've said my piece to back someone up who was being attacked for 'trolling' while also being accused of being 'toxic' just because they gave their opinion...
You're still shoveling this shit? lol

Thanks for making it clear you've never touched BOTW or DDDA either, after a combined 400 hours in both games I can assure you neither really "struggled" to maintain 30fps for the vast majority of that.

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean I get it. People dont have to like me. I get why some wouldn't. I'm a big personality and that's not always a good thing.

I'm learning and trying to do better about it. People need to realize I went from 0 Twitter followers to almost 3,000 in like 8 months. That's a lot to deal with. On top of that I had a newborn daughter and sever marriage issues. Thing is this isnt your problem. And you all shouldn't bare the brunt of my problems. I should have been more responsible and less open on social media platforms.

This is essentially "excuse making" and I get that. But i guess it's better to at least give context to a shitty attitude than just ignore it and pretend I'm a better person than I am.
I don't think it's excuse making at all. Context helps understand. I certainly get more of why your posts were the way they were. As someone who struggles greatly with mental illness, I get it. And I apologize if I in turn caused any offense to you. If I had known that before, I would never have said something like that to begin with.

Congratulations on the birth of your daughter, and I am sorry to hear about your marriage issues. I hope all the problems you were facing are less stressful than they were before; ideally, I hope they are all resolved.

Anyway, like I said, in the end, you bring valuable insight, and I really appreciate that, and I look forward to more of it for a long time to come.

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just went back and fast read some of the posts and wow.

I can understand thinking some games might run badly due to the nature of their coding/engine but last gen ports in general? That's crazy.
Yeah, something like MGS4 that was hardcoded to the PS3 architecture definitely probably will suffer in a port to any other system, I totally agree with that. But the notion that GTA5 can't run on the Switch is so hilarious that it obviously derailed the thread for a bit.

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it's excuse making at all. Context helps understand. I certainly get more of why your posts were the way they were. As someone who struggles greatly with mental illness, I get it. And I apologize if I in turn caused any offense to you. If I had known that before, I would never have said something like that to begin with.

Congratulations on the birth of your daughter, and I am sorry to hear about your marriage issues. I hope all the problems you were facing are less stressful than they were before; ideally, I hope they are all resolved.

Anyway, like I said, in the end, you bring valuable insight, and I really appreciate that, and I look forward to more of it for a long time to come.

I also shouldn't have thrown an entire forum under the bus. It was frankly fucked up.

And thanks for the kind words. I'm honestly trying to do better.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
So I think this is all hashed out right? Benji has explained, everyone is good? Thank you Benji, good luck with your future endeavors. I don't think anyone wants you or anyone else to feel unwelcome here.

Oct 25, 2017
1558555989703.jpg

Rellik

Oct 28, 2017
How much did the previous marvel ultimate games sell? And how much are we expecting for the third entry? (Riding the endgame success).

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Thanks for making it clear you've never touched BOTW or DDDA either, after a combined 400 hours in both games I can assure you neither really "struggled" to maintain 30fps for the vast majority of that.
BotW at launch definitely struggled with its framerate (and still does in Korok Forest)

I also shouldn't have thrown an entire forum under the bus. It was frankly fucked up.

And thanks for the kind words. I'm honestly trying to do better.
It's a learning experience, lol. You're only human, you'll make mistakes.

--

Anyway, time to get back on topic now.

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How much did the previous marvel ultimate games sell? And how much are we expecting for the third entry? (Riding the endgame success).
Well, the earlier ones were mid budget games that sold like mid budget games. MUA3 comes after Marvel's success with the MCU, and with Nintendo's backing as a first party, so I expect it to sell better.

Oct 26, 2017
If it rides off of the Endgame / Far From Home hype with good marketing and the game is at least fun, I think it can perform better than those older games, even with it being an exclusive

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Well, the earlier ones were mid budget games that sold like mid budget games. MUA3 comes after Marvel's success with the MCU, and with Nintendo's backing as a first party, so I expect it to sell better.

Yeah this one kinda has everything going for it, it should easily set some sales records for the series.

Deleted member 32018

Banned
Nov 8, 2017

They've been showing the trailer in the UK (and I assume elsewhere) before showings of Endgame. It's a shame it doesn't come out a little sooner to ride off it a bit more though.

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah this one kinda has everything going for it, it should easily set some sales records for the series.
I do expect it to sell very well. Definite 1-2 million seller.

They've been showing the trailer in the UK (and I assume elsewhere) before showings of Endgame. It's a shame it doesn't come out a little sooner to ride off it a bit more though.
I am still flabbergasted Nintendo didn't attempt to have the game complete and out in April alongside Endgame, with Switch bundles lol.

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
If it rides off of the Endgame / Far From Home hype with good marketing and the game is at least fun, I think it can perform better than those older games, even with it being an exclusive
While I do expect Endgame to have a little positive effect, personally I don't think that a generally non cinematic game (as opposed to Spiderman) where the characters look different from the movie will benefit that much from it. Of course I could be wrong.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017

Anytime a Moblin walked up on screen in BOTW, the framerate tanked to what felt like the teens. Also, Korok Forest?
I admittedly have not played the game in several years now but near launch it absolutely did struggle to maintain 30fps at specific times.

Back on topic, I predict CTR sales will be like this
PS4 >>>>>>>> Switch >> Xbox One
We'll probably never find out and it's just speculation. Too much nostalgia for Crash on Sony platforms for the game not to sell the great majority of it's copies on there. I think Switch portability and also mascot games seemingly selling well there points to it doing better than the Xbox One version. Nothing to base that off of at all though

Oct 26, 2017
While I do expect Endgame to have a little positive effect, personally I don't think that a generally non cinematic game where the characters look different from the movie will benefit that much from it. Of course I could be wrong.
Oh I don't think it'll make people necessarily go and get it for it but it at least puts it within the public consciousness and makes it more, well, acceptable to go for superhero games, which will help out by a good amount. I certainly feel that that helped Marvel's Spider-Man outsell the Batman: Arkham games

Deader2818

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
MLB is one of those titles every year that people underestimate. The title was tracking strong and even had supply issues but I believe that was localized but still, Game always does really well but people are shocked by it.

DMVfan123

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
I am still flabbergasted Nintendo didn't attempt to have the game complete and out in April alongside Endgame, with Switch bundles lol.
I'd rather they not rush it just to get it out by the time a movie comes out, that's how a lot of movie-based/superhero games end up bad
Take your time to ensure the game is the best it can be, Marvel hype isn't going away anytime soon

Deleted member 32018

Banned
Nov 8, 2017

I guess it just wasn't possible to get it done in time, it's a shame. But there is still Far From Home releasing around the same time, while obviously not the same, will keep the Marvel mindshare going.

While I do expect Endgame to have a little positive effect, personally I don't think that a generally non cinematic game where the characters look different from the movie will benefit that much from it. Of course I could be wrong.

It has Marvel in the name, personally I think that'll be enough for a lot of casual fans, it's more the timing that will have an affect imo, but I guess we'll see.

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd rather they not rush it just to get it out by the time a movie comes out, that's how a lot of movie-based/superhero games end up bad
Take your time to ensure the game is the best it can be, Marvel hype isn't going away anytime soon
That's also true, they didn't want to compromise on the integrity of the game, and like you said, it's not like Marvel is suddenly irrelevant just because Endgame didn't release this month lol

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo increased the specs of the Switch for Capcom. They have always done more for Capcom than any other third party. If there's one third party they definitely pursued it would have been Capcom.
I think this a bit overstated. It is known that many devs/pubs had provided the same feedback on RAM that Capcom did. As far as I am aware it wasn't specifically to satisfy them. My point was simply that Nintendo isn't known to make big overtures to 3rd parties, so it wouldn't be surprising to find that after learning what Capcom was focusing on and what they were doing with Monster Hunter, that Nintendo just let the relationship cool rather than pursuing aggressively. There's nothing wrong with that, just another factor in why Capcom's support is in such a state.

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I guess it just wasn't possible to get it done in time, it's a shame. But there is still Far From Home releasing around the same time, while obviously not the same, will keep the Marvel mindshare going.
Yeah, I think they've done the next best thing for sure.
I do wonder if they will have bundles; have any been announced?

Oct 25, 2017
Anytime a Moblin walked up on screen in BOTW, the framerate tanked to what felt like the teens. Also, Korok Forest?
I admittedly have not played the game in several years now but near launch it absolutely did struggle to maintain 30fps at specific times.

Back on topic, I predict CTR sales will be like this
PS4 >>>>>>>> Switch >> Xbox One
We'll probably never find out and it's just speculation. Too much nostalgia for Crash on Sony platforms for the game not to sell the great majority of it's copies on there. I think Switch portability and also mascot games seemingly selling well there points to it doing better than the Xbox One version. Nothing to base that off of at all though
Crash should do fine but Sony association and the year of exclusivity for the NSane trilogy will probably assure the sales rate per console is about what you mentioned.

Also wonder about Spyro. Don't think that franchise is as popular now a Days, but I think the remake did well?
Feels like they were a bit stretched for resources so they couldn't do a PC/switch release. We might see that later this year.

about Zelda performance, it got an optimization patch less than a month after launch that fixed a lot of the issues. Game runs perfectly fine now, has some problem spots but so do most open worlds.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I think this a bit overstated. It is known that many devs/pubs had provided the same feedback on RAM that Capcom did. As far as I am aware it wasn't specifically to satisfy them. My point was simply that Nintendo isn't known to make big overtures to 3rd parties, so it wouldn't be surprising to find that after learning what Capcom was focusing on and what they were doing with Monster Hunter, that Nintendo just let the relationship cool rather than pursuing aggressively. There's nothing wrong with that, just another factor in why Capcom's support is in such a state.

Possibly but considering the Classic Controller Pro and Circle Pad Pro it's not like there isn't prior evidence of Nintendo tailoring hardware specifically for Capcom.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
With Capcom, if we don't see a new Switch MH reveal this year, something has to be up. Ichinose isn't working on World and that is tons of money left on the table. Capcom are the kings ot asset reuse, especially with MH, they wouldn't have to go too crazy will new assets for a potential Switch entry.

Crash should do fine but Sony association and the year of exclusivity for the NSane trilogy will probably assure the sales rate per console is about what you mentioned.

about Zelda performance, it got an optimization patch less than a month after launch that fixed a lot of the issues. Game runs perfectly fine now, has some problem spots but so do most open worlds.

I know about the patch, i didn't play BOTW till a few months after launch and those issues still existed. I don't even know why Moblins specifically made the game slow down so much, you had Lionel's doing all types of crazy shit and game runs fine, Moblin literally just walks on screen and game starts stuttering immediately

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
Possibly but considering the Classic Controller Pro and Circle Pad Pro it's not like there isn't prior evidence of Nintendo tailoring hardware specifically for Capcom.
Of course, but bearing in mind that stuff like the Circle Pad Pro was completely in service of Monster Hunter. I imagine that from Nintendo's perspective that's the only Capcom IP they care about.

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
Hahahaha I said a lot more
Yeah but they posted just the least ridiculous parts.
Can we stop the derail about Switch ingame performance now? This is a sales thread, and as we can see, whether what you said is true or not (it's not), it has no impact on its sales (just like the poor ports on PS3 or Wii had no real impact on their sales).

WiZaRdOuS

Nov 8, 2018
Yeah but they posted just the least ridiculous parts.
Can we stop the derail about Switch ingame performance now? This is a sales thread, and as we can see, whether what you said is true or not (it's not), it has no impact on its sales (just like the poor ports on PS3 or Wii had no real impact on their sales).
So my opinion is ridiculous?Lmao Comical

And I didnt bring it back up there were 3 post speaking on it before I posted, but I derail since you dont agree with my ridiculous opinion...but you right this is a Sales thread...we digressed

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Of course, but bearing in mind that stuff like the Circle Pad Pro was completely in service of Monster Hunter. I imagine that from Nintendo's perspective that's the only Capcom IP they care about.

I wouldn't go that far but for sure. Nintendo isn't going to bending over backwards for them for nothing. Hence the aforementioned dropping of European distribution.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, something like MGS4 that was hardcoded to the PS3 architecture definitely probably will suffer in a port to any other system, I totally agree with that. But the notion that GTA5 can't run on the Switch is so hilarious that it obviously derailed the thread for a bit.
Could current GTA Online work on Switch? Single Player should be fine, given it runs on PS360, but GTA Online stopped supporting those platforms years ago (in 2015 I think) and we've seen how little Rockstar care about GTA5's SP mode post release, they don't even put the new vehicles or weapons in it.

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Could current GTA Online work on Switch? Single Player should be fine, given it runs on PS360, but GTA Online stopped supporting those platforms years ago (in 2015 I think) and we've seen how little Rockstar care about GTA5's SP mode post release, they don't even put the new vehicles or weapons in it.
I think GTA:O, plus the size of the game (it's over 60GB now, isn't it?) is the main consideration with a Switch port of GTAV, yeah.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
BotW at launch definitely struggled with its framerate (and still does in Korok Forest)

Hence "vast majority". Yes BOTW had performance issues with Korok Forest but that was due to the volumetrics (aka: not a CPU issue, it's bandwidth) and some large moblin ragdolls (speculated to be a bug maybe related to hitflash pause at death). Both were worse earlier on too but with patches the game improved dramatically, there's almost no performance impact now undocked.

Some limited/isolated performance issues =/= the game struggles to hold 30fps generally and should be classed next to SR3 or Ark

Myriotes

Jan 30, 2018
Germany
I never even noticed problems with Moblins in BOTW, weird. Anyone got a video?

I'm also always surprised how bad performance for some PS3 and X360 games are in Digital Foundry videos, e.g. in their XBO BC ones. Played mostly on PC until the PS4 and NSW.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
I think Switch is gonna have an easy time "winning" every month going forward, unless TLOU II releases this year. If it does, then the month of it's release will be highly contested one at NPD.

Myriotes

Jan 30, 2018
Germany
The metrics for MUA3 hasn't been inspiring.

I don't think it'll sell great.

Which metrics are you referring to? Preorders, Youtube views, something else?

They still got 2 months and the Blu-ray release of Endgame might also be an oppurtunity for some cross-promo, resulting in some legs (if the game is good enough). August might be too soon for that, but if the gap is the same as for Infinity War, it can hit in September.

Oct 25, 2017
I think MUA3 doesn't have a visual or gameplay hook, probably something you have to play to get a feel of.
But reviews will probably be mixed so I'm not entirely sure what'll happen with that.

Not sure if Marvel gave nintendo a chance to pick and they picked MUA3 or if Marvel only gave Nintendo the option for MUA3...but it seems like a pretty lackluster result for a Nintendo published/funded Marvel game

Hucast

alt account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
I think MUA3 doesn't have a visual or gameplay hook, probably something you have to play to get a feel of.
But reviews will probably be mixed so I'm not entirely sure what'll happen with that.

Not sure if Marvel gave nintendo a chance to pick and they picked MUA3 or if Marvel only gave Nintendo the option for MUA3...but it seems like a pretty lackluster result for a Nintendo published/funded Marvel game
Its the type of game that takes off with reviews and commercials. Both wont affect the other too much, but having both would sell the game really well

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
Which metrics are you referring to? Preorders, Youtube views, something else?

They still got 2 months and the Blu-ray release of Endgame might also be an oppurtunity for some cross-promo, resulting in some legs (if the game is good enough). August might be too soon for that, but if the gap is the same as for Infinity War, it can hit in September.

YT views.

Sure there's still plenty of time, but it's generally harder to ramp up since the trend is ramp-down.