• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

King Dodongo

Oct 27, 2017
latest

HOW WAS THIS GAME NOT BIGGER?!??!?!!

One of the most underrated and misjudged games ever.

waugh

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Feb 21, 2020
That was not the game I expected.

Shin_Megami_Tensei_Nocturne_NA_cover.png

Me too and I'm glad it's not. The English SMT fanbase collectively is dedicated to jerking this game off and yes it's very good but like it's the only one people talk about it and sucks because there's many other great MegaTen games.

Wracu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dated? It both looks better and plays better than P4. The only thing I could see being "dated" is not being able to pick inherited skills. Besides that I'd say it holds up just as well as any Persona.

It just needs a UI facelift. The menus are really quite ugly.

I'd rather keep the semi-random inheritance. Being able to pick makes things too easy and everyone must feel the pain I endured to create a perfect Surt.

waugh

Banned
Feb 21, 2020
There's really nothing else Atlus can release - apart from P5 - that will attract the same kind of sales and excitement. Everything else in their back catalogue is considerably more niche.

Yeah this, kind of. I want Atlus to focus on Persona on PC now because it's popular and will sell well thus cementing Atlus's interest in the market. The niche stuff will come after they run out of Persona and they WILL run out soon because Atlus takes 5 years to make a new Persona game apparently.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Me too and I'm glad it's not. The English SMT fanbase collectively is dedicated to jerking this game off and yes it's very good but like it's the only one people talk about it and sucks because there's many other great MegaTen games.
It's my favorite and most people's favorite. It has nothing to do with "jerking this game off", people just like it.

Nocturne is still stuck either on the PS2 or on PS3 with some performance problems. It has the most to gain from a PC port. All the rest of mainline are either on recent platforms or wouldn't gain much from a PC port (although PC ports of those would be much welcome). I, II, and if... are on Japanese smartphone app stores, and 1 has an English localization that was only on iOS and doesn't even work on modern versions of iOS.

Also worth pointing out that Nocturne is one of only two mainline games that has not appeared on a Nintendo platform. I think a Nocturne Switch remake will happen sooner or later.

The other mainline game not on a Nintendo platform is the Xbox exclusive SMT NINE, which literally no one gives a shit about. Atlus barely even gives a shit about it.

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
Don't expect even close to P4 golden numbers ppl are allrdy emulating these titles for years, again short of a complete remake/remaster i don't see them sell well and the fact P4 golden can't be emulated probably helped sales a lot. Atlus should start porting newer games and they will.

You really think there's not a market for definitive editions of some of the greatest Shin Megami games on PC? I think PC gamers would eat this up. I think they could even get away with Charging a $40 Atlus premium on the remasters.

For context, Sega has sold over 1.5 million copies of the Sega Genesis collection on steam in my understanding. In an era when almost anything can be cracked within days, people are certainly willing to spend money to add great games to thier PC collection.

Simply having cloud saves, 4k, 60fps, and anisotropic filtering would be reason enough for me to buy it.

waugh

Banned
Feb 21, 2020
It's my favorite and most people's favorite. It has nothing to do with "jerking this game off", people just like it.

Nocturne is still stuck either on the PS2 or on PS3 with some performance problems. It has the most to gain from a PC port. All the rest of mainline are either on recent platforms or wouldn't gain much from a PC port (although PC ports of those would be much welcome). I, II, and if... are on Japanese smartphone app stores, and 1 has an English localization that was only on iOS and doesn't even work on modern versions of iOS.

Also worth pointing out that Nocturne is one of only two mainline games that has not appeared on a Nintendo platform. I think a Nocturne Switch remake will happen sooner or later.

The other mainline game not on a Nintendo platform is the Xbox exclusive SMT NINE, which literally no one gives a shit about. Atlus barely even gives a shit about it.

I never said people don't love it, dude.

"Jerking the game off" just means endless praise and bringing it up whenever possible. It's literally the go to SMT game people bring up. I disagree with you that Nocturne has the most to gain. SMT I, II and If are not on the Japanese app store anymore. The apps were published by Index and thus they are not up anymore. It's kind of the reasons Atlus is really incompetent at doing their job.

Also while Devil Summoner became its own series the first one was part of mainline SMT as a spin off. That hasn't seen a release since the PSP too.

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
Game was doomed the minute they said it would be a SMT/Fire Emblem fusion and it ended up appealing to neither.

Should have just done its own thing.

Which is weird because I can definitely see the inspiration of SMT (specifically Persona) and of course Fire Emblem plays a huge role. With Japanese idol culture being huge among weebs and P5 being a huge success, I figured it'd find an audience when it got ported to Switch. But IIRC it sold worse than the Wii U version!

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I never said people don't love it, dude.

"Jerking the game off" just means endless praise and bringing it up whenever possible. It's literally the go to SMT game people bring up. I disagree with you that Nocturne has the most to gain. SMT I, II and If are not on the Japanese app store anymore. The apps were published by Index and thus they are not up anymore. It's kind of the reasons Atlus is really incompetent at doing their job.

Also while Devil Summoner became its own series the first one was part of mainline SMT as a spin off. That hasn't seen a release since the PSP too.

It's like that because Nocturne is a beloved title in the SMT fandom, the last mainline SMT that was a big console release, and painted a lot of how the fandom views the series.

If there's one SMT game that would kickstart re-releases on PC, it'd be Nocturne.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
It's like that because Nocturne is a beloved title in the SMT fandom, the last mainline SMT that was a big console release, and painted a lot of how the fandom views the series.

If there's one SMT game that would kickstart re-releases on PC, it'd be Nocturne.
Plus, it seems like a good gateway for people into SMT from (modern) Persona since it feels like a bridge between the two. As someone who was introduced to anything MegaTen through Persona 4G and 3, I was surprised just how much Nocturne DNA there was in P3/4 in terms of the designs of the demons (which I guess were mostly reused after that point) and the gameplay. The older games were a bit more intimidating, but Nocturne still feels modern and familiar but with a much darker tone.

Renteka-Bond

Chicken Chaser
Dec 28, 2017
Clearwater, Florida
Thought this thread would be about Digital Devil Saga, but Survivor is a really good option. Traded my buddy after just meeting in college his copy of DeSu for a new copy of Hyperdimension Neptunia 1 (the PS3 original) and to this day I feel great for how I pretty much robbed the hell out of him.

Still trying to work my way through 2, but the music just hits different in 2 (plus my homegirl Melissa Fahn isn't a VA in this one T~T)

waugh

Banned
Feb 21, 2020

Hmm... you know what you're right. I was being a bit too harsh. Sorry.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Atlus is sitting on a goldmine of remasters waiting to happen.

Eager to see where they go from here.

RPG_Fanatic

Oct 25, 2017
My favourite SMT spinoff. I would love for this series to get more exposure and open up the possibility of Devil Survivor 3.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
I said this in another thread, but honestly almost all of Atlus' RPGs would be a good fit for PC.

Atlus' bread and butter is basically 80's-style dungeon crawlers with some elements from adventure games -- two genres that never went out of style on PC. Other JRPG developers need to realize this with their strategy RPGs too. The only JRPG developer that's actually figured this out is Nihon Falcom, and I suspect it's because they started out as a Japanese CRPG developer, so really their turn towards Steam and GOG was a homecoming.

Fuu

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
I weirdly can't remember a single thing about Devil Survivor, but I recall enjoying it a lot back in the day. Anyway, I want to see everything Atlus on Steam, so bring it!

Tigerfog

Oct 28, 2017
Montreal
Many people compare the tension and story of Devil Survivor to the first Shin Megami Tensei. I can see the likeness.
Also, I've some reviews saying that too often the characters talk too much to say nothing, but I always felt that commenting on their situation and even repeating themselves (Yuzu) contributes to the feeling that they react and freak out like normal teenagers would.
I really loved Devil Survivor, and the Overclocked made it even more awesome with the extended epilogues.

Augemitbutter

Oct 25, 2017
yea, Survivor is real good. They weren't cheap with the difficulty too. All fair and a good monster battle as it should be.

don't ever ask for remakes of old Atlus releases. They will turn everything into a monster circus and add pay to win on top of it. Replacing Kaneko art is a sport as well.

Sadly the composer of the Devil Survivor games, Takami Asano, passed away earlier this year, so that is one part of team that will be sorely missed

R.I.P :(

NioA

Dec 16, 2019
I actually am still searching for a copy of both this and Record Breaker, unfortunately they are pretty rare and expensive and Overclocked haven't seen a sale on the eshop in the last 3 years, so...
Too bad, I love both srpgs and SMT
I wish for a remaster of both Digital Devil Sagas, though. Never played that one

Stoof

Oct 25, 2017
I love the Devil Survivor games a whole lot, and I'm sad we may never get a third. I wish all SMT/Persona games and spinoffs were on all platforms.

Einherjer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
You really think there's not a market for definitive editions of some of the greatest Shin Megami games on PC? I think PC gamers would eat this up. I think they could even get away with Charging a $40 Atlus premium on the remasters.

For context, Sega has sold over 1.5 million copies of the Sega Genesis collection on steam in my understanding. In an era when almost anything can be cracked within days, people are certainly willing to spend money to add great games to thier PC collection.

Simply having cloud saves, 4k, 60fps, and anisotropic filtering would be reason enough for me to buy it.

Remasters? Maybe if they are really cheap or collections of games but let's face it most pc peeps expect Atlus new current gen games like Persona 5 Royal, Catherine Full Body or 13 Sentinels from the Atlus published games now they will not be satisfied with just the leftovers aka decade old games that can be emulated.
A lot of people bought P4 golden to make this happen and not because they want more old games (ideally both i guess but that's just my opinion).

Last edited:

KernelC

alt account
Banned
Aug 28, 2019
Persona 3 would totally sell, even if it was just a simple port of either FES or P3P.

Nocturne/DDS would do comparably worse, but I still think they could sell well enough to justify... especially if the PC ports result in certain streamers checking them out, such as CohhCarnage.
I think only Persona 5 and P4 would sell extremely well, and they knew.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017

Technically the first Devil Summoner is also a mainline SMT and also not yet on Nintendo platforms (Saturn, PSP). It's too bad it never got a 3DS port to go along with Soul Hackers.

Jun 24, 2019
Devil Survivior Overclocked is amazing.

I feel sorry for those who hasn't played it, they're missing out on something incredible.

Kivvi

Jun 25, 2018
Ah, gotcha.

I wonder, would the games come out faster if Atlus would just handle the concept and design of the games and let another studio handle the actual software development?
Atlus feels like Game Freak in that regard imo. But since they're finally moving games to the pc I could see Atlus giving other studios some ports and remakes to work on. No mainline stuff though. If they save any time that way is an other question. Right now they have "only" 3 games in development (and I like to think P6 as well). I hope we get a big Atlus stream this year, it's time.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I would play this game. I would play all of the DS and 3DS Shin Megami Tensei games if Atlus or Sega brought them over to a proper platform.