• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Was Obi-Wan Kenobi worth it?

• It was amazing!

Votes: 326 25.7%
  • Meh, it was just okay

Votes: 702 55.4%
  • It was pure Bantha poodoo đź’©

Votes: 305 24.1%

• Total voters

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Personally I loved it! Sure, some things could have been better written or filmed, but Part V and Part VI more than made up for it IMO.

This scene is probably among the top ten best scenes in the entire franchise IMO:

What say you, Era? Was Obi-Wan Kenobi worth it?

toadkarter

Oct 2, 2020
I'm not sure if it was necessary, per se, from an overall contribution to the lore, but I must say I really enjoyed the start and the end of it. The last duel specifically is easily a top 5 lightsaber fight in the franchise. It meandered a little in the middle but as a whole I'm glad that I watched it!

cjpoppinov

Jul 27, 2021
Toronto
cant wait for The Acolyte, i'm so tired of the stories between Episodes 3 and 4
and i can imagine after Ahsoka i'm going to also be tired of stories between Episodes 6 and 7

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Worth what? I don't think there was any sacrifice made for it to have been created. Not like it damaged the SW franchise or something. I thought it was good though. The Order 66 scene at the series intro was a good scene so at least we got that.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
It was pretty boring and the few good moments didn't elevate the large stretches of bland or outright bad stuff.

It would've been better as a movie. I firmly believe it simply wasn't enough content to justify 6 hours.

TeraDax

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Québec
Loved it. Far from perfect, but really enjoyed it. Final episode was majestic and the duel/conversation was straight fire.

But I wish we got more flashback. Anakin and Obi-Wan training was great, but I wanted more damnit. Hope Ahsoka deliver more on that side.

Also, more prequel musics. The alleged reasons for that seem rather flimsy.

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
The ending is, without question, clearly a top moment in all of Star Wars cinematic history. Loved seeing Vader rip apart a ship like me ripping into a bag of Snyder's Honey Mustard and Onion pretzel pieces.

I'm sure other posters here will more than adequately convey my feelings on the mediocrity of much of the rest.

Surakian

Shinra Employee
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I enjoyed it a lot! I think it could have been better, but I also couldn't tell you what that would entail.

The best parts were all of the Vader/Obi-Wan or Anakin/Obi-Wan moments. Truly the heart of the show.

Reva needs her own show. I'd like to see her past and her future.

I also really liked Leia and Obi-Wan's interactions. Makes me sad we won't see more of it.

The Silver

Oct 28, 2017
It should have been a lot better than it was and it certainly shouldn't have been 6 episodes, they only had enough good content for a movie and it shows. The bland unnoticeable music is a big hit against it personally.

This should have been treated like a full blown Episode 3.5 and now I can't believe I'm gonna have to see Andor of all things blow this show outta the water from a production standpoint.

That said I really enjoyed the final duel and especially broken mask Vader.

Liquidsnake

Oct 27, 2017
It should have been a lot better and Disney really should've thrown a lot more money at it. But just for that final episode it was worth it.

bud

Oct 27, 2017
Personally I loved it! Sure, some things could have been better written or filmed, but Part V and Part VI more than made up for it IMO.

This scene is probably among the top ten best scenes in the entire franchise IMO:

What say you, Era? Was Obi-Wan Kenobi worth it?

this is the only footage i've seen of it, and... it looks pretty bad.

fucking hell.

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
There are some scenes in it that were worth it, all of which totally work without all the other stuff.

TheAggroCraig

This guy are sick of the One Winged Slayer
Nov 6, 2017
I enjoyed the beginning and the end, but everything in the middle was pretty ehh. Reva didn't do anything for me at all, and she was a big focus which took me out of it a lot.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It should've been muuuuuuch better than it was, but it seemed to at least help people bridge the characters of Anakin and Vader together better, so at least it accomplished that much.

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
I only watched 2 episodes but they included some of the worst directed scenes I've seen in a big budget show in quite some time. I don't get how anyone can take any of this seriously when it looks as dreadful as it does. The directing is bad, the writing is bad, much of the CG is straight up terrible. I don't know what anyone gets out of watching this outside of plain nostalgia bait.

Like, Rise of Skywalker is Citizen Kane compared to this. That chase scene with Leia is inconceivably bad, in a way where I legitimately don't understand how anyone who has ever shot, edited or framed anything could let this get all the way into the finished show. Every sentence anyone says is "Somehow, Palatine returned" levels of cringy. There are no layers to anything, everyone just always says exactly how and why they feel the way they do right now. That scene where 5 year old Leia monologues toward her cousin was just laughing out loud embarrassing.

At least the prequels looked cool when they where released, even if they don't hold up at all.This show is just as terrible, only that it also looks awful.

Last edited:

ArkkAngel007

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'd say it was, despite all the problems in editing and direction. The end climax with Anakin trying so hard to get Obi-Wan to go through with killing him, only for the latter to walk away from Vader, was a nice touch to show how much he hates himself as much as his former master while Obi-Wan still has the weakness of not being able to kill this monster who looks like his student.

But damn, there were a lot of rough spots to get through to get there. Nothing was inherently bad in concept, but the writing, direction, and chop job of editing with less finesse than a Tatooine meat mine really brought the show down.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
I only watched 2 episodes but they included some if the worst directed scenes I've seen in a big budget show in quite some time. I don't get how anyone can take any of this seriously when it looks as dreadful as it does. The directing I'd bad, the writing is bad, much of the CG is straight up terrible. I don't know what anyone gets out of watching this outside of plain nostalgia bait.

it's definitely like what if marvel made a star wars. now we know.

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
It felt constrained by the TV format/budget. This should have been a 2.5hr capital-B Blockbuster.

Not that what we got was offensively bad. A lot of great moments and ideas, it just never reached its full potential.

Very middle-of-the-road on it overall, will probably do a re-watch in a year or two and see how it holds up

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
It was great to see the two in the roles, but I don't think it was worth it overall. It overall just dilutes the franchise with mid shit. I liked it, but it wasn't good shit like Mando.

BennyWhatever

Oct 27, 2017
US
I liked it. It was a little long in the teeth, but the end was worth it. That scene in the OP is among the best in the franchise.
Better than the Sequel Trilogy and Episode 2, not as good as the rest of the movies.

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
Obi Wan and Anakin deserved better. Overall it was a very forgettable series. You don't lose nor gain anything if you watch it or not.

AbstractPlain

Oct 27, 2017
Not great overall however the last episode was significantly better than all of the prior episodes combined. Really felt like it was made by an entirely different crew. I guess it was worth it ultimately for the finale and putting a close to the Vader & Kenobi plotline for good.

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It had some neat ideas but I thought it wasn't executed all that well, but it wasn't like super awful or anything.

The best thing it did, was confirm my man Quinlan Vos is still alive.

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
I very much enjoyed it, but in my weekly genre tv consumption I looked forward to The Boys and Ms Marvel more.

CorpseLight

Nov 3, 2018
It was better than Boba Fett. It still wasn't incredible though.

Sidenote: Watching shows weekly is infinitely better than just bingeing entire shows - which is what I did with Obi-Wan. It just came and went and was done with, and ill probably never even think of it again. At least weekly we can slowly digest and think about the show.

Ushojax

Oct 30, 2017
No, a character like Obi-Wan deserved a show of much higher quality. I'm not even sure it reached Xena: Warrior Princess quality.

The story was a mess and the whole thing felt like a cheap fan film. If they didn't have a budget they should never have expanded the scope to include a galaxy hopping rematch with Vader. Should have just been Star Wars Yojimbo on Tatooine.

Haikira

Dec 22, 2017
Northern Ireland
If there was an option in the poll between 'Amazing' and 'Meh', that's what I'd go for.

It was a bit cheap, and definitely had it's rough edges; but I still think overall it was really good, and I enjoyed it.

FTF

Oct 28, 2017
New York
The last 2 eps saved it and I def liked it overall. Glad there'll be a second season now and it changed from being a one off series.

OP
OP
DiipuSurotu

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not great overall however the last episode was significantly better than all of the prior episodes combined. Really felt like it was made by an entirely different crew. I guess it was worth it ultimately for the finale and putting a close to the Vader & Kenobi plotline for good.

Well it wasn't made by an entirely different crew, but there are a few differences relative to the other episodes, indeed

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
In hindsight I think a full budge movie would have been a better execution.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
I loved it. Episode 5 and 6 were excellent.

It should have been a movie though.

Strike

Oct 25, 2017
It was pretty much what I expected to be. You got more of some of your favorite characters without it shaking things up to the point that it would ruin continuity.