• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 16516

User requested account closure
Oct 27, 2017
Season 3 is top-notch. David Dawson is superb as Alfred and his relationship with Uhtred is one of the highlights of the season.

Plywood

Does not approve of this tag
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I caught the first season, I don't like Uhtred too much does he ever improve?

Also finding out that:
It seems like all/if not most of the women involved with him die at one point or another was a total bummer.

Techno

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

Also finding out that:
It seems like all/if not most of the women involved with him die at one point or another was a total bummer.

I think he has great development over the three seasons, but the last one in particular is really really good.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle

Also finding out that:

Yes Uhtred improves.

I wouldn't say that is entirely accurate, Some of the most important characters who are women and are living. Are you saying involved 'romantically'?

Plywood

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes Uhtred improves.

I wouldn't say that is entirely accurate, Some of the most important characters who are women and are living. Are you saying involved 'romantically'?
I spoiled myself looking up a characters name
it was Thyra and shortly thereafter went down a small rabbit hole, spoiling some fates of some of the women in general.

Techno

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I spoiled myself looking up a characters name
it was Thyra and shortly thereafter went down a small rabbit hole, wasn't sure if it was just romantic interests or just women in general.

Thyra isn't really a love interest for Uhtred, she's Uhtred's sister. A lot of characters do end up dying, including some female ones, but there are couple of strong characters that live - such as Brida, Hild and Aethelflaed. Brida is probably the main female character.

Grahf

Oct 27, 2017
Finished watching all last month, I enjoyed it a lot despite some slight infuriating repetitive elements

Uthred thinking with his cock all the time, and the king frequently being a total douche to the guy who saved his life, his children's life and the kingdom REPEATEDLY. Come on Alfred.

Plywood

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thyra isn't really a love interest for Uhtred, she's Uhtred's sister. A lot of characters do end up dying, including some female ones, but there are couple of strong characters that live - such as Brida, Hild and Aethelflaed. Brida is probably the main female character.
I corrected my post was on mobile, sorry about that.
I know Thyra was his foster sister, I didn't mean to imply they were or would be romantically involved in any capacity, lol but spoiling myself on that and seeing the list of women involved with Uhtred as well as their listed appearances(on a wiki) which led to my assumption that a lot of them would be dying and going further in combination with that was around the time I had seen the episode where Iseult dies. Which caused me to believe it was going to be like another show I enjoyed, but had a similar issue where a lot of the women die.
Supernatural
Anyway sorry for that mouthful, thanks for your patience and replies everyone. I'll give the second season a shot.

OP
OP

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
Finished watching all last month, I enjoyed it a lot despite some slight infuriating repetitive elements

Uthred thinking with his cock all the time, and the king frequently being a total douche to the guy who saved his life, his children's life and the kingdom REPEATEDLY. Come on Alfred.
King Alfred is Chaotic Neutral. He explains to Uhtred, "Past help is no excuse for current lawbreaking". He is deeply, almost to a fault, devoted to the Crown. The Crown is everything. All of Uhtred's actions are weighed before it and only it.

Also agreed on casting. Alfred's actor is phenomenal.

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
I watched one and a half seasons and it doesnt come close to Vikings. Dropped and never want to go back.

Techno

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I corrected my post was on mobile, sorry about that.
I know Thyra was his foster sister, I didn't mean to imply they were or would be romantically involved in any capacity, lol but spoiling myself on that and seeing the list of women involved with Uhtred as well as their listed appearances(on a wiki) which led to my assumption that a lot of them would be dying and going further in combination with that was around the time I had seen the episode where Iseult dies. Which caused me to believe it was going to be like another show I enjoyed, but had a similar issue where a lot of the women die.
Supernatural
Anyway sorry for that mouthful, thanks for your patience and replies everyone. I'll give the second season a shot.

Ah right, my bad.

Catsygreen

Nov 1, 2017
Sorry, the only show in a similar style that I expect this year is this one:
tumblr_phgyjpT5Ky1sxwyufo2_250.gif

Ultimadrago

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, I just watched Season 1: Episode 6 and I love that Uthred
chose to work together with the Danes to betray the local king
! It was such a "Witcher" set of choices and the main character actually chose the darker side. I love stuff like that!

Overall, I'm surprised how much I'm enjoying the show. I'll admit coming from Game of Thrones any other fantasy/middle age shows do come off rather cheap in appearance (like school plays). Still, it has enjoyable characters including the main one and is easier to chew on than meets the eye. I hope it continues to impress.

Last edited:

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Being honest, I got bored with it partway into the first season. It felt like a lot of the medieval stuff from the BBC lately: just actiony and kind of brainless.

I might give it a second shot. I am sure though that now GoT has ended there's going to be a flood of fantasy stuff trying to take its place. That Amazon Lord of the Rings show should be the first.

Edit: forgot about The Witcher. Which I am not thrilled with the casting so far, but if they use the source material they be able to make a good show

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I really enjoyed this show a couple years ago, when the heck did 3 come out? Definitely a must watch. Also recommend Vikings if you're into this kind of thing. At least, the first 4-5 seasons. Until a certain characters meets their end. Both are excellent shows. If you do watch Vikings, make sure its the international version and not the History channel censored version.

As for TLK, I gotta rewatch the first two seasons. Its been too long for me to jump back into 3.

LookAtMeGo

Oct 25, 2017
a parallel universe
Its my favorite show. I rarely ever watch an entire series. Binged the 3 seasons out in a day or 2. Im rewatching it to wash out that taste GoT left in my mouth.

Uhtred > Jon Snow

Fight me.

Tangeroo

Oct 26, 2017
Thanks for the recommendation OP! I just started yesterday and am through the first six episodes. I'm definitely hooked!

Ultimadrago

Oct 25, 2017
Okay, the back and forth between Uthred and Alfred is getting really old at the start of Season 3 now. It's droning really. I do still have a solid time with the show overall and find myself oddly charmed by Aethelwold, the Forbidden King Jester. Still, I'd hold Game of Thrones comparisons in the pocket for this one as the scope simply isn't near any level and neither are the highs.

In terms of consistency, The Last Kingdom has it beat I suppose, but they play it so safe that I'd find it harder to believe it wasn't' consistent.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Is this show covering the same story as Vikings?
No. Historically, Vikings is effectively a prequel, set around 840-870 or so. Vikings covers the early raiding of England with Ragnar and then the Great Heathen Army invasion with his adult sons. The Last Kingdom starts shortly after that, within a few years. In TLK, the Vikings are already established in England and it focuses on Alfred the Great's battles to defend Wessex and retake England.

Whompa

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
definitely going to take a break on high/dark/medieval fantasy stuff for awhile, but maybe in the future I'll check this out

Deleted member 5159

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I had similar thoughts about the 1st season and had to be convinced to watch the 2nd season. It gets waaaaaay better as time goes on.

i believe it but at the same time, with so many good shows around, its really hard to justify going through the slumps to get to the good stuff. curiously it happened to me with barry, i didnt like the first season very much but loved the second, it helps that it has short episodes

Deleted member 16516

Oct 27, 2017
i believe it but at the same time, with so many good shows around, its really hard to justify going through the slumps to get to the good stuff. curiously it happened to me with barry, i didnt like the first season very much but loved the second, it helps that it has short episodes
This show hits a nice little niche though, as there isn't much in the way of historical fiction shows based on a successful book series.

RR30

Oct 22, 2018
If you like the show definitely read the books too. The books go across a longer time frame but are excellent.