• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which one?

• Aeris

Votes: 256 25.9%
  • Aerith

Votes: 732 74.1%

• Total voters

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Aerith. Aeris always sounded too harsh imo, the 'th' makes it sound more ethereal which vibes with the character for me.

Corrupt

Shinra Employee
Oct 31, 2017
I will learn to adapt to Aerith. I imagine the people who pronounced Mako as make-oh are having a similar change they're dealing with.

Sapo84

Oct 31, 2017
Exactly. If we have to be sticklers for Japanese romanization then Cloud should be Kuraudo and Sephiroth should be Sefiros. And nobody wants any of that.
I don't understand your romanization ideas.
You want Sephiroth's ス to be romanized as th because, nobody wants any of that (your words), for Aerith's ス you instead want s instead of th exactly for what reason?
I think even the most vocal supporters of Aerith understand that nostalgia is a huge factor and that's nothing wrong with that, trying to justify that with double standards really feels pretty awkward I'd say.

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018
Aeristh

For the indecisive in me lol

Just makes me think you have a lisp

now-kith-26007968.png

Riversands

Banned
Nov 21, 2017
I made the thread in lighthearted jest. I'm not arguing about what's right or not since I know Aerith is the correct one. For me it's just nostalgia and Aeris rolls off the tongue better.

You and I argued? I certainly can't remember but hopefully we can come to a closure and leave the bad blood behind. If I did anything offensive, I apologize.
Not talking about you, but about that zero guy.

Raskol

Sep 5, 2018
I'm not usually stubborn about things like this, but I just can't adjust to Aerith no matter how hard I try. She'll always be Aeris to me.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Why is a japanese "su" supposed to be "th"? I've been studying Japanese for years and I've never heard something like this before. Usually the "u" isn't even pronounced. For example "desu", sounds more like a "dess".

If you studied it for years you would know that certain things written in Katakana use su as th, like bi is used as a V or ze for the. It happens a lot.

Oct 28, 2017
If you studied it for years you would know that certain things written in Katakana use su as th, like bi is used as a V or ze for the. It happens a lot.
I know about bi and all that. Romanization to "th" exists but it's not pronounced that way. There is no "th" pronounciation in Japanese. I thought we are talking about pronounciation here.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I know about bi and all that. Romanization to "th" exists but it's not pronounced that way. There is no "th" pronounciation in Japanese. I thought we are talking about pronounciation here.

No it is about how it's written. Obviously they don't pronounce it like that (because as you said there is no TH in japanese, which is why the use SU in this case). TH is something in many other languages which people are unable to pronounce correctly. For example many Germans say SEEEE/ZEEE instead of THE. It depends on the word and in this case it's obvious because it's intended to be almost the same as Earth.

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017
"Aeris" looks ugly to me, that's already reason enough for me to prefer Aerith. I wish they'd have changed the spelling in the rereleases of FFVII tbh.

In general, they really could spend some resources on retranslating one of their most popular games. FFVII's localization is horrible.

Oct 28, 2017
No it is about how it's written. Obviously they don't pronounce it like that (because as you said there is no TH in japanese, which is why the use SU in this case). TH is something in many other languages which people are unable to pronounce correctly. For example many Germans say SEEEE/ZEEE instead of THE. It depends on the word and in this case it's obvious because it's intended to be almost the same as Earth.
Yeah, I'm German btw, when I'm hearing the Japanese voice over it sounds "Aeris" to me, not "Aerith" and certainly not "Aerisu" that's why this whole thing is confusing to me.

The change in English is fine, but it's strange to me when people argue with the Japanese for "th" pronounciation.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Has and will always be Aerith, she's been called that name for nearly 2+ decades of spin offs and other content.

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
I'll always think of her as Aeris first. It's too ingrained at this point. Also pre remake I have touched absolutely nothing featuring her as a character since the original game(which I've replayed several times) so I wasn't exposed to the correction often.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, I'm German btw, when I'm hearing the Japanese voice over it sounds "Aeris" to me, not "Aerith" and certainly not "Aerisu" that's why this whole thing is confusing to me.

The change in English is fine, but it's strange to me when people argue with the Japanese for "th" pronounciation.

Are you kidding me?

At 43 seconds. It's obivously E A RI SU like it's written in Japanese Katakana. It's not the same as Sasuke or DESU where the U sound is mostly omitted (but still there btw. it's just very ultra soft).

It's also not A E RI SU in Japanese. It's written エアリス which is E A RI SU and if you listen to it they also pronounce it like this starting with the E and ending with the very obvious and not subtil SU sound.

Oct 28, 2017
Are you kidding me?

At 43 seconds. It's obivously E A RI SU like it's written in Japanese Katakana. It's not the same as Sasuke or DESU where the U sound is mostly omitted (but still there btw. it's just very ultra soft).

It's also not A E RI SU in Japanese. It's written エアリス which is E A RI SU and if you listen to it they also pronounce it like this starting with the E and ending with the very obvious and not subtil SU sound.

In your example it's audible yeah. I guess I didn't pay attention enough.
But it's still Aeris(u) then, not Aerith.

Narroo

Banned
Feb 27, 2018
"Actual name" from the same franchise that has given us any countless number of characters with made up bullshit names. Tidus?? Basch fon Ronsenburg of Dalmasca?? Prompto Argentum??

Her name be Aerith
Tidus is a real name you realize, right?

So isn't Basch Rosenburg. Dalmasca is basically a feminine of Dalmascus, which is a real place. Only Prompto and FFXV's names are truly stupid.

Erigu

Nov 4, 2017
Pretty sure it's a romanization of the word "Earth".
It's not. A romanization of the English word "Earth" would be "āsu" ("アース", in kana).

Her name is "エアリス" in Japanese, which would be directly romanized as "earisu", but is actually meant to be spelled as "Aerith" (which almost is an anagram of the English word "Earth").

If we have to be sticklers for Japanese romanization then Cloud should be Kuraudo and Sephiroth should be Sefiros.
("Sefirosu", actually.)
You're confusing direct Hepburn romanization and official Latin alphabet spelling.
See above: a direct Hepburn romanization of her name would be "earisu". "Aerith" is how her name was meant to be spelled in Latin alphabet.

To wit:
Japanese name / direct Hepburn romanization / official Latin alphabet spelling
クラウド / kuraudo / Cloud
エアリス / earisu / Aerith
セフィロス / sefirosu / Sephiroth

it's still Aeris(u) then, not Aerith.
No, it's not.
Just like "エア" / "ea" is the Japanese approximation of the English "ae" sound in "Aerith", "ス" / "su" is the Japanese approximation of the "th" part.

Last edited:

DynamicSushy

Sep 7, 2019
Aeris is so much easier to say, but it is also wrong. I'm not gonna keep calling a character the incorrect name

Voytek

Oct 25, 2017
I've been calling her Aerith for so many years now. When the original game first came out I renamed all the characters so Aeris never really stuck on me.

RedGator

Nov 7, 2017
I'm not against using Aerith but I'm still saying Aeris when speaking to people about the game. Consciously using Aerith is making me feel like the flow of R into TH is less comfortable than it is into S or even F. I just can't stop picturing that lisp dog.

Rookhelm

Oct 27, 2017
I used to think people (in america, anyway) insisting on calling her Aerith were silly and trying to sound smart by using her "real" name. Like, the game was localized, just use her English name.

But now, it's clear SE wants her canonical name to be Aerith, so I've come around.