• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

AnythingElse

Oct 25, 2017
Fallout 1 and 2 are the best in the series, so yes. Although I can't speak to whether the Game Pass versions are moddable. There's a bunch of mods that come with the GOG version that allows you to choose a higher resolution, among other QOL bug fixes.

EDIT: Fallout Fixt is what you want. https://falloutmods.fandom.com/wiki/Fallout_Fixt
Pretty sure this is preferred over fixit nowadays: https://www.nma-fallout.com/threads/fallout-et-tu-release-v1-4.220052/

Deleted member 1698

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long and short of it. Never played the first two, my introduction was 3, are these worth diving into? Any recommendations going in if I do take the plunge?

3 really has nothing to do with these games.

Treat this like a completely different genre and decide if you want to dive into the top down world of crpgs. I think everyone should, but I think it'll be a big struggle unless you are really into reading, are patient and your gaming soul hasn't been completely destroyed by the "modern" garbage.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
I love you dude, but I feel like Fallout 3 and 4 seized on the worst impulses of Fallout 2.

Don't sleep on Fallout 1. Consider playing it with a guide.
I beat them both. Loved both, what I meant by my comparison was with the way they handled their narratives. Fallout 1 felt pretty straight forward while Fallout 2 had a bit more freedom of choice.

Deleted member 2317

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Depends how much you really have the patience to play old pen and paper inspired RPGs.

The writing and characters and gameplay are incredible if you can.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
They're worth trying, but I find them really hard to go back to even though I was a big fan of Fallout 2 when it was relevant.

Deleted member 1698

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They're both fantastic games and absolutely worth playing if you're into crpgs.

Would you be into crpgs if you had not played it? I can imagine a select few who did Baldurs Gate but missed Fallout because money or something, but I would expect it would be few.

From there you could only be a fan of modern "crpgs", which are just really "cs" given they don't really have role playing and attempts like dragon age inquisition are barely games.

Griffith

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I know 1 gets a bad rep and a lot of people here repeat it and though I completely agree that Fallout 2 is better, overall, Fallout 1 is still very much a worthwhile experience and leagues above anything written by Bethesda.

Last edited:

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nothing on game pass is modable, windows store installs are cursed

Wait really? How?

Moddable games have been a thing for a while on windows store, and most bethesda RPGs support it. Once you enable mods in xbox app it will move game out of windowsapps container into a regular fully unlocked folder

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Fallout 2 is the best WRPG ever made, and is one of the major reasons old pc grognards like myself hate bethesda fallout games - they fucked up all the best parts.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Well I don't hate them they do their own thing, but yeah they don't hold a candle to the past games writing or choices.
I mean, New Vegas is a really good approximation, but FO3 was like, hey it has SPECIAL and VATS. Sorry, but targetting a Super Mutant in the groin was not the reason Fallout was ever good, you guys. It was cool that you could, but like, write some better dialogue, make choices in quests meaningful, let the player play the way they want.

All of the things we consider 'immersive sim' now are basically just classic WRPG tropes (ported to FPS' via deus Ex).

7thFloor

Oct 27, 2017
U.S.
I mean, New Vegas is a really good approximation, but FO3 was like, hey it has SPECIAL and VATS. Sorry, but targetting a Super Mutant in the groin was not the reason Fallout was ever good, you guys. It was cool that you could, but like, write some better dialogue, make choices in quests meaningful, let the player play the way they want.

All of the things we consider 'immersive sim' now are basically just classic WRPG tropes (ported to FPS' via deus Ex).
I don't even play those types of games for roleplaying anymore because they're just not very good at that frankly. But I don't think Fallout 1 and 2 are really that much better, I'm pretty picky though.

andymoogle

Oct 27, 2017
I consider them to be the best RPGs ever created, so yes. They have aged very well, imo, but you probably should mod them to allow higher resolutions.

Aug 13, 2019
Would you be into crpgs if you had not played it? I can imagine a select few who did Baldurs Gate but missed Fallout because money or something, but I would expect it would be few.

From there you could only be a fan of modern "crpgs", which are just really "cs" given they don't really have role playing and attempts like dragon age inquisition are barely games.
I actually played Fallout's 1 and 2 for the first time 2 years ago. I had a blast with them, but it helps that I played a modern crpg before delving into it. I'm trying to play Baldur's Gate now and It's way more difficult for me to get into than Fallout was.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I will say, Fallout 1 and 2 both have AWFUL opening minutes, but we're talking 10 minutes tops.

Leo-Tyrant

Jan 14, 2019
San Jose, Costa Rica
Apologies for the ultra-necro bump but...

Fallout 1 on Gamepass already includes the High Resolution mods! You can put it on 4K with 2X scaling without having to mod anything. Just install via Xbox Gamepass and ... play!

No one seems to mention this on the internet, so I wanted to let some of you know.

It is still the same old classic Fallout underneath but Im playing it from the couch right now on a 65 OLED and, it still holds up!

The Kidd

Oct 27, 2017
I really should replay these, it's been over a decade. Also Fallout 2s first 2hrs suck ass but it's one of the best RPGs I've ever played

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
Both Fallout 1&2 benefit from playing on PC. Just get them on GoG or Steam for a pittance in next sale. They will run on a toaster.

Thing is there are great mods that improve overall experience, hence PC recommendation and not just for resolution.

Leo-Tyrant

Jan 14, 2019
San Jose, Costa Rica
Both Fallout 1&2 benefit from playing on PC. Just get them on GoG or Steam for a pittance in next sale. They will run on a toaster.

Thing is there are great mods that improve overall experience, hence PC recommendation and not just for resolution.

They can only be played on PC I believe.

I already have the games in physical form, in GOG, in Steam and now in Gamepass (on PC) . My update is to let ERA users know that the Gamepass version is "plug and play", no need to mod anything to be able to run in higher res and with scaling on modern systems and displays.

If users already have Gamepass on PC, then they can try these games "for free".

Leo-Tyrant

Jan 14, 2019
San Jose, Costa Rica
So its the same as Steam/GoG version were for years, i don't many reasons for such excitement tbh 😅

Interesting, when I bought it on GOG (like 10 years ago) it barely ran at 640x480 and I had to install like 3 mods on top, which kept crashing. My physical releases were no longer an option (dont have an optical drive since 2008).

If the game is packaged like this in all recent releases, then fantastic! Being included on Gamepass could be what some people needed in order to try them out though.

bushmonkey

Oct 29, 2017
As long as you're prepared to make concessions and be patient with them, they're fantastic games. Just don't expect them to be easy to get into.

Spacejaws

"This guy are sick" of the One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
They are very different games, to a lesser extent like someone who played Resident Evil 8 asking if they would like the original Resident Evil. It's almost impossible to tell on that info alone. They are great however.

*Edit ha fuck sake old ass bump lol.

Interesting, when I bought it on GOG (like 10 years ago) it barely ran at 640x480 and I had to install like 3 mods on top, which kept crashing. My physical releases were no longer an option (dont have an optical drive since 2008).

If the game is packaged like this in all recent releases, then fantastic! Being included on Gamepass could be what some people needed in order to try them out though.

Yea I think Bethesda reloaded a patched version in 2015 roughly? The current ones never had a patch but I used to have issues with it too on Steam and no longer do.

Last edited:

Deleted member 93841

User-requested account closure
Banned
Mar 17, 2021
I don't agree with people saying to skip FO1. FO1 has far superior atmosphere and locations. It wasn't nearly as whacky as FO2 and it was a better game for it, imo.

sfedai0

Oct 27, 2017
I actually pity those that were too young or maybe didnt even exist (ugh, Im so old) and were not able to experience these and other classics back in the day.

Games like FO, Syndicate, Dune, etc were so groundbreaking that it completely immersed me as a kid. No games past the PS1 era has been able to capture my attention like that era did. It would be hard to get in to it just on a visual basis, but yes, please try it out.

Bunkem

Prophet of Truth
Aug 25, 2021
I don't agree with people saying to skip FO1. FO1 has far superior atmosphere and locations. It wasn't nearly as whacky as FO2 and it was a better game for it, imo.
yup. Fallout 1 wold-building with Fallout 2 structure/scale would be the ideal game for me. The 'humour' in FO2 is terrible.

Excuse me

Oct 30, 2017
Really slow starters and if you are not accustomed to the 90s early 00s isometric CRPGs then they really have to grab you in order to enjoy them. Great stories, top notch world building and overall great games for sure, but they are products of a time where everything wasn't seamless and intuitive when it game to gameplay.

As last resort, try Fallout 2 with character editor and make a character that manages to survive early on so starter stuff doesn't feel like a tutortial.

dude

Oct 25, 2017
Tel Aviv
Yes to both.
For me personally FO1 was kind of hard to play even back in the day, so let yourself get used to the game and be ready for some early frustrations.

Killzig

Oct 25, 2017
I love them both, but it's tough to recommend for people who aren't into older RPGs of this style. Now that they're all under one banner it'd be my dream to see these old games get a refresh in the deadfire engine (or something with faster loading plz).

Kirksplosion

Aug 21, 2018
I played Fallout 1 for the first time a couple years back, and I thought it held it really damn well for what it is. I didn't struggle with it being dated. Only mod I used was a graphics mod.