Votes: 95 16.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I would take the fictional character who can't harm me beyond the annoying arguments Marvel nerds have over how totally sympathetic he was, over the billionaire who is partly responsible for actually ruining the Earth.

RedVejigante

Aug 18, 2018
Thanos, as ridiculously wrong as he was, is at least an interesting purple space super-villain. Elon Musk represents one of the worst and most insipid of the banal, self-indulgent modern capitalists who regularly huff their own farts. Fuck him.

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
As someone who is completely on board with Thanos' "fuck 50% of the population" plan, this is a super easy vote.

Dis

Oct 27, 2017
Thanos seeing as there's a chance a lot of the awful fucks in the world also get snapped out of existence, but mostly because thanos in the MCU did what he planned (as bad as it is) and fucked off like he said he would. Elon would double the population if he could and then move on to the next fucked up plan he comes up with to cause more issues.

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
I just want the Infinity Gauntlet and snap Far Right Conservatism off the fucking universe

wisdom0wl

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
thanos-infinity.gif

Oct 12, 2020
iirc the more people the higher chance for someone to make a breahthrough invention/discovery, at least i think that was his position on an old Kara Swisher interview
There are already enough people, the issue is that not enough have access to resources and education, which would put them into the position to make such breakthroughs. Just adding more people, would change this, core issue... Probably just make it worse.
The baby boom happened because of financial security of a big middle class. This is gone thanks to all those greedy billionaires like Musk.

nelsonroyale

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Musk has something like 6 children. It seems he constructed his views on population dynamics partly to justify his own contribution. His views aren't well articulated. The number of what constitutes enough people to survive an existential threat and colonise offworld to provide long term population resilience is largely arbitrary for instance. It depends on so many factors, including how resilient and well resourced individuals and population are.

The idea that more people equals more innovation is flawed logic as well. Above a low threshold it depends more on more people being given the resources and opportunities to participate than just more people per se. You can find small communities for instance, with a culture that supports dynamism and innovation for instance, and bigger communities that don't. The difference is the smaller one has more dynamic individuals that promote a culture of openness, while the latter doesn't. I think for instance cities make terrible use overall of their potential human resource base, especially for transitioning to becoming more ecologically sustainable

Pyramid Head

Oct 27, 2017
Capitalism slowing down too much for Musk and the rest of our economic overlord class? 2x the population, 2x the room for potential increase in their wealth, environment be damned.

Electric fucking cars... Musk doesn't give a shit about the environment.

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
I'll take Thanos, if I can just have a minute to sit him down and explain to him the flaw in his plan.

But seriously, it couldn't be more obvious that we're over-populated. Not that deleting half the people would help; it only took 50 years for the population to get from half of what it is now (3.8-ish billion in 1972) to what it is now (7.7-ish billion).

SquirrelSr

Oct 26, 2017
Imagine wanting to double the population so you can exploit double your work force. It doesn't even make sense from their warped perspective. If you aren't going to raise wages to "keep costs down" then why would you want to hire even more workers? Or are they going to cycle through the work population and waste even more money training new hires?

Crayolan

Oct 25, 2017
Killing half the population is pretty fucked morally, but it would definitely benefit the remaining half more than the alternative.

Arcus Felis

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
... Can't believe I'm writing this, but I would be with Thanos. Comes a point where we would be way too many humans on Earth, where the environment is destroyed beyond all recognition (and already has been destroyed), countless animal species disappear (and already has disappeared), issue with feeding the overall population, etc.

So, no, definitely no to doubling the population. It will only bring misery.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I know its tongue in cheek and a bit of a jest but you are kind of a psycho if you prefer the guy who directly says his goal is to murder 50% of all people.

Thanos is an awesome villain and my favorite MCU movie character. I want nothing to do with him IRL, movies are not real.

Doubling the population would cause far more deaths and the population would probably end up way smaller than it already is within months anyway, except it then happens through bloody war, sickness, starvation and other horrors. At least when the big purple alien kills a bunch of people it's quick. It's like the would you rather be at ground zero for the nuclear bombs or slowly suffer through the nuclear winter.

Elon musk is a moron.

Cudpug

Nov 9, 2017
When Thanos snapped his fingers, if it was random, could he too have been killed?

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
Reminder that Elon Musk is Canon in the MCU (you would be forgiven for forgetting since no one ever talks about Iron Man 2)

www.youtube.com

Elon Musk Cameo Scene - Iron Man (2010) Movie Clip HD

Elon Musk and Tony Stark Scene - Elon Musk Cameo Scene - Iron Man (2010) Movie Clip HD [1080p]TM & © Paramount (2010)Fair use. Copyright Disclaimer Under Sec...

So there's a chance Elon got snapped and everyone in the MCU didn't have to hear him say anything for five glorious years? Yeah, I'm going Thanos.

When Thanos snapped his fingers, if it was random, could he too have been killed?

I don't know about the MCU, but some of the later comics imply that yes, this is the case.

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
So there's a chance Elon got snapped and everyone in the MCU didn't have to hear him say anything for five glorious years? Yeah, I'm going Thanos.

I don't know about the MCU, but some of the later comics imply that yes, this is the case.
Maybe in the mcu Elon didnt get snapped, but he's on a his private jet plane and the pilot got snapped so Elon died and didn't get brought back...

Deleted member 55524

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 31, 2019
Doubling the population would cause far more deaths and the population would probably end up way smaller than it already is within months anyway, except it then happens through bloody war, sickness, starvation and other horrors. At least when the big purple alien kills a bunch of people it's quick. It's like the would you rather be at ground zero for the nuclear bombs or slowly suffer through the nuclear winter.

Elon musk is a moron.
Yeah doubling the population is dumb but we really could add and support another ~2 billion if we had more robust systems to guarantee food and housing. The problem is, someone like Musk would absolutely not create good systems.
I'll take Thanos, if I can just have a minute to sit him down and explain to him the flaw in his plan.

But seriously, it couldn't be more obvious that we're over-populated. Not that deleting half the people would help; it only took 50 years for the population to get from half of what it is now (3.8-ish billion in 1972) to what it is now (7.7-ish billion).
Couldn't be more obvious? That's weird considering it's not true.

Deleted member 55524

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 31, 2019
Imagine wanting to double the population so you can exploit double your work force. It doesn't even make sense from their warped perspective. If you aren't going to raise wages to "keep costs down" then why would you want to hire even more workers? Or are they going to cycle through the work population and waste even more money training new hires?
Ehh, companies like Amazon are more or less
designed to function this way. They hire and train people extremely quickly via automation but the job is so unpleasant and the management so hands-off that they cycle thru a full workforce in less than a year. To an Amazon exec, a doubled population temporarily solves the problem of "what happens when we run out of people?" The Times has a good piece about it.

lexony

Oct 25, 2017
He probably has a new kind of rocket fuel that works with human souls but realized that there aren't enough humans to bring a big SpaceX rocket to the Mars.

Hoot

Nov 12, 2017
Thanos idea is just as bad but has the courtesy at least to not be on twitter, can shut the fuck up and at least if I get snapped it's quick and painless.

Also he can actually go do stuff in space. Take that, Elon.

hobblygobbly

Oct 25, 2017
NORDFRIESLAND, DEUTSCHLAND
of course this forum would vote for some comic superhero genocidal maniac lmao. nerd shit used as a parallel or comparison to real world politics is embarassing

simply wiping out populations doesn't actually save the climate or resources, as the the time taken for populations to naturally increase and expand again is much shorter scale than the time it takes for the wider climate/world ecosystem and resources to recuperate, it would never "catch up" unless you had immoral and stringest sterilisation campaigns for a very long time in history

Last edited:

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
Upside to getting snapped: sweet oblivion

Downside: those pesky Avengers eventually bring you back

Sidewinder

Oct 25, 2017
Of course the richest man on the planet would rather have more cheap labor to make him and all his rich friends even richer, than less of them.

Lol at the environment being able to sustain double our numbers, we're already knee deep into a climate catastrophy and will probably witness a huge famine in the next couple of months/years thanks to Putins war in Ukraine.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
The funny thing about Thanos is he could literaly double all the resources in the universe with a click of a finger, but rather than take that route he wanted to kill half of everyone instead lol

Well, that's because of what they didn't happen to implement into the MCU which was a big part of the source material: he was in love with death and wanted to impress her. Not the concept, but the personification of.

Overpopulation is a myth, ageing populations are a real issue that will become a crisis in the coming decades.

So, having an excessively large population of those in the older age groups is somehow not overpopulation?
Makes sense.

Overpopulation is a very real and current problem, before the population ages. Not all countries will feel the impact the same either.

Pantaghana

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Croatia
iirc the more people the higher chance for someone to make a breahthrough invention/discovery, at least i think that was his position on an old Kara Swisher interview
You can have the same outcome through better funded public education, healthcare and transit.
But that obviously means more taxes and government regulation, so Musk wants to do it the stupid way.

Unclebenny

Oct 28, 2017
He isn't wishing for double the population. He is pushing for higher birth rates and claims the environment would be fine if we doubled the population. Considering we are already facing record high gas prices, water shortages in some areas, and upcoming food shortages later this year, I doubt his claim. That's without even mentioning all the species we drive to extinction.

finance.yahoo.com

Elon Musk says we can't let humankind end in 'adult diapers' and that the environment would be fine if we doubled our population

Elon Musk said humankind should at least maintain population numbers. This should prevent all of us from ending up in "adult diapers," he said.

Elon Musk opining on something he clearly doesn't understand. Now there's a shocker.

He;s a few steps away from replacement theory here and I wouldn't be surprised if that's where he ends up one day.

So really he's just like a more realistic super villain. As a result, I chose Thanos, at least I feel like he can be defeated.

DryCreek

Oct 25, 2017
Doubling the population would be fine. its gonna happen eventually anyway. opposing something just because elon musk said it must be peak era.

Status
Not open for further replies.