lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
People ranking Dark Souls 3 high probably started with it and can't see how creatively bankrupt it is. I'd put Dark Souls 2 above it because at least it tries to be its own thing.

I did play 3 before beating 1, but nah, its just a pretty, polished and fun game with maybe the best selection of bosses and some of the most fun PvP i've had in their games. Is it as original as DS1? no, its not, but I had more fun with it than DS1. "creatively bankrupt" is up there with "Fromsoft lore is just random shit thrown together"

Fhtagn

Oct 25, 2017
I did play 3 before beating 1, but nah, its just a pretty, polished and fun game with maybe the best selection of bosses and some of the most fun PvP i've had in their games. Is it as original as DS1? no, its not, but I had more fun with it than DS1. "creatively bankrupt" is up there with "Fromsoft lore is just random shit thrown together"

DS 3 felt at the time like "this is great fun but they are holding back most of their new ideas for whatever is next…"

It is overflowing with references and rehashes and variations on stuff they'd already done, I don't blame anyone who bounced off it hard as a result. I enjoyed it a lot for level design and bosses but the story fell flat and the fan service was so intense it almost felt like a passive aggressive joke. It also had really poor balance at launch making magic builds a challenge class, not sure if they ever fixed that.

Creatively bankrupt is hyperbole, clearly not the case given Sekiro and Elden Ring, but creatively withholding? Sure.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
DS 3 felt at the time like "this is great fun but they are holding back most of their new ideas for whatever is next…"

It is overflowing with references and rehashes and variations on stuff they'd already done, I don't blame anyone who bounced off it hard as a result. I enjoyed it a lot for level design and bosses but the story fell flat and the fan service was so intense it almost felt like a passive aggressive joke. It also had really poor balance at launch making magic builds a challenge class, not sure if they ever fixed that.

Creatively bankrupt is hyperbole, clearly not the case given Sekiro and Elden Ring, but creatively withholding? Sure.

I definitely thing you had to be there for DS1 to really have as much an effect as it did. The bosses and some of the later areas fell completely flat for me, playing it after games like Bloodborne and DS3.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
1. Demon's Souls, Dark Souls 1, Bloodborne
2. Sekiro, Elden Ring
3. Dark Souls 2, Dark Souls 3

Basically, I love them all, but the ones at the top are the ones I can (and have gone back to replay again and again), and probably will for the foreseeable future. They also had the biggest impact on me. I just have no desire to do the same with any of the others, but again, I love them all, so don't take the ranking to mean anything except to serve the purpose of this thread.

Fhtagn

Oct 25, 2017
I definitely thing you had to be there for DS1 to really have as much an effect as it did. The bosses and some of the later areas fell completely flat for me, playing it after games like Bloodborne and DS3.

I was considering giving up video games when DS1 came around and set my brain on fire, and part of what I don't like about 3 is the way it cheapens 1 by just doing the same stuff again. Bloodborne on the other hand almost took the #1 spot for me.

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
I haven't played enough of the Dark Souls games to rank them, but having just replayed Bloodborne (and doing the DLC for the first time), my favorite thing that From has ever done is still trick weapons. I love them so much. Played through once with Ludwig's Holy Blade, and then NG+ with Whirligig Saw which is just the best, and there's so many other great weapons to choose from too I don't want to keep replaying it over and over but I totally could, trying something new out each time.

Yup, it's honestly crazy how much better and fun weapons like Ludwig's Holy Blade or Whirligig Saw are when compared to similar weapons in Elden Ring (Dark Moon greatsword and Ghiza's Wheel).

brenobnfm

Sep 28, 2019

It's not about being original as DS1, the entire game is an incoherent blend of Demon's Souls (lol about DS3 "Storm Ruler"), Dark Souls, Dark Souls 2 and Bloodborne.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
It's not about being original as DS1, the entire game is a incoherent blend of Demon's Souls (lol about DS3 "Storm Ruler"), Dark Souls, Dark Souls 2 and Bloodborne.

And yet I enjoyed it more on almost every level because of aforementioned reasons as well as the faster pace. This is a completely fine preference to have.
"you only like it because you played it first" is such a strange psych evaluation to prop up a videogame. Like why?

brenobnfm

Sep 28, 2019
And yet I enjoyed it more on almost every level because of aforementioned reasons as well as the faster pace. This is a completely fine preference to have.
"you only like it because you played it first" is such a strange psych evaluation to prop up a videogame. Like why?

As i said, most people that likes it started with it, they didn't play 4 big ass games before so they wouldn't be able to see all the repeated shit and how it doesn't feel genuine at all in Dark Souls 3, the way i see it looks like they were busy with the main project (Bloodborne) and needed content for Dark Souls 3, so they just copy pasted what worked before. I mean, i don't want to blame you for liking it and i'm sure you don't care one bit (neither should you) about my opinion, just giving some context.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
As i said, most people that likes it started with it, they didn't play 4 big ass games before so they wouldn't be able to see all the repeated shit and how it doesn't feel genuine at all in Dark Souls 3, the way i see it looks like they were busy with the main project (Bloodborne) and needed content for Dark Souls 3, so they just copy pasted what worked before. I mean, i don't want to blame you for liking it and i'm sure you don't care one bit (neither should you) about my opinion, just giving some context.

"they just copy pasted" is just another lazy dev rhetoric that's plaguing this forum, completely in line with like "the lore is random shit thrown together"
Game development isn't Lego. Just accept that some people prefer one game they made over another, its fine.

There's even people going on about Elden Ring being "copy pasted non unique enemies, not like Bloodborne", meanwhile im remembering right before Mergo's Wet Nurse (the penultimate boss) fighting more giant boar, angry crows, standard enemies and repurposed shadows of Yharnam. You're going to see the same people ignore any point you make and just continue posting the same shit and its frustrating.

Last edited:

irri

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
I haven't finished Elden Ring, though I'm definitely in the last bit of it. Enough to give my ranking:

1. Dark Souls 3
2. Bloodborne
3. Elden Ring
4. Dark Souls 1
5. Sekiro
6. Demon's Souls
7. Dark Souls 2

I started with Demon's Souls on PS3 FYI. For me Dark Souls 3 is still the best; the bosses, setpiece world design and stunning moments still captivate me to this day. I've played through three times fully, and each time I find the experience better than the one before.

Elden Ring for me is very very close to Bloodborne so it is entirely possible it could rise above it in the end, but for now Bloodborne's unparalleled style elevates it.

Arithmetician

Oct 9, 2019
People ranking Dark Souls 3 high probably started with it and can't see how creatively bankrupt it is. I'd put Dark Souls 2 above it because at least it tries to be its own thing.

Maybe, but I would say Dark Souls 3 at least isn't as creatively bankrupt as Dark Souls Remastered. That's just a copy of Dark Souls 1! I would put Dark Souls 1 near the top of the ranking, but Dark Souls Remastered at the bottom, there's absolutely zero creativity there.

brenobnfm

Sep 28, 2019
Maybe, but I would say Dark Souls 3 at least isn't as creatively bankrupt as Dark Souls Remastered. That's just a copy of Dark Souls 1! I would put Dark Souls 1 near the top of the ranking, but Dark Souls Remastered at the bottom, there's absolutely zero creativity there.

Funnily enough i wish didn't try to change anything in DS:R, but some randos from a low budget remaster team thought they were worthy of changing the aesthetic of the game, needless to say they fucked it up big time.

Oct 26, 2017
creatively bankrupt

DS2 atleast try its own thing

medium.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Bellfry_Luna_Gargoyles_A.jpg

latest

Seems a little extreme dont ya think

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Sure, let's summarize a 80h game in a couple of pics. If anything, Dark Souls 2 got crucified for being too different.

Sure, and similarly, everything DS3 does that's unique and creative is ignored in favor of the familiar in an attempt to tell people they're wrong for preferring something because "copy and paste".

Khasim

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
1. Elden Ring
2. Bloodborne, Sekiro
3. Dark Souls 1
4. Demon's Souls (remake, original's artstyle is really ugly and I have no intention of replaying it now that the remake exists)
5. Dark Souls 3
6. Dark Souls 2

ER wins mostly due to the amazing exploration and open world. The last third of the game sucks and I'm not looking forward to it on my replay, but the first 70 hours of my playtime was 10/10 and it's still 50% more than I spent with any previous From game so it's an easy winner to me.

BB/Sekiro are both amazing at what they do and are 10/10 just like ER, but they aren't open world so they go slightly below ER.

DS1 has an unforgettable atmosphere and the interconnected level design of the first few levels amazes me to this day, but it's unfinished and some parts of it are horribly, horribly unfun. You know which ones.

Demon's Souls feels like proto-DS1, the health and and world tendency mechanic are bad and it aged the worst mechanically, but the remake looks and feels so amazing to play I still rank it on spot 4.

Dark Souls 3 had amazing bosses and really nice looking levels, but I absolutely hate how much the pace of the gameplay was increased. You're actively discouraged from playing slowly and methodically and most hard non-boss enemies require you to roll spam like a madman. I never bought the DLC for this reason since I only finished the game once and had enough.

Dark Souls 2 doesn't have much going for it. I never managed to get further than around after Shrine of Amana before getting bored. The level design and the constant bombardment by swarms of enemies make it a couple of levels below the other games. Definitely the worst of them all, though it does have its moments (for example Majula is a 10/10 hub area).

brenobnfm

Sep 28, 2019
Sure, and similarly, everything DS3 does that's unique and creative is ignored in favor of the familiar in an attempt to tell people they're wrong for preferring something because "copy and paste".

There's nothing similar, the concept of DS3 being derivative and safe as it is probably started as an answer for the Dark Souls 2 criticism of trying new ideas, when the execution clearly was the problem, not the intention.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
There's nothing similar, the concept of DS3 being derivative and safe as it is probably started as an answer for the Dark Souls 2 criticism of trying new ideas, when the execution clearly was the problem, not the intention.

DS2 was criticized for being the self evident result of serious development problems, not for trying new ideas. Which is to say it still did better than most videogames critically and commercially despite its troubled development.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Currently at the top because it really feels like a combo of all the previous games. So many good aspects that they used and then make it crazy open world. Still wish bows were made a bit more interesting haha.

D O T

Jan 1, 2021
already 138 hours and haven't finished it yet, but currently it sits at the top for me.

diablogg

Oct 31, 2017
I haven't played enough of the Dark Souls games to rank them, but having just replayed Bloodborne (and doing the DLC for the first time), my favorite thing that From has ever done is still trick weapons. I love them so much. Played through once with Ludwig's Holy Blade, and then NG+ with Whirligig Saw which is just the best, and there's so many other great weapons to choose from too I don't want to keep replaying it over and over but I totally could, trying something new out each time.

It's for sure a problem I have with the Dark Souls games. Weapons movesets don't feel all that special, even a good chunk of the boss soul ones. Especially now that we can change the weapon arts and how weapons scale it makes even less sense to me why we get so many in a playthru. Also the rate at which you acquire them feels off/bad in the Dark Souls series and Elden Ring to me, random enemies can drop them, they're in chests, npcs sell them, just out in the world and you can get boss souls that you can trade for weapons.

Trick weapons to me seemed like the perfect medium for how a good weapon can feel in their worlds and also to how they are acquired within the world. Mostly by killing a boss or an NPC hunter for his badge. There are only two trick weapons placed on the ground in the main game, the Saw Spear and Tonitrus. The Old Hunters DLC kind of botches the weapon acquisition pace a bit, but they are just trying to feed you new cool shit so I forgive it although I do wish it felt as good as the main game.

Last edited:

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
I really need to replay DS2&3 and play their dlc for the first time, but as it stands now I think Sekiro is my favorite From game actually. It's a variation on the formula that clicked really well with me, moreso than Bloodborne. Elden Ring is fantastic but it does feel like too much of a good thing sometimes, it's maybe a bit too big for me.

Last edited:

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017

This is such a dumb generalisation. I started the series with Demon's Souls and played all subsequent games on release day in their chronological release order, and would still rank it highly, above Dark Souls II and even Dark Souls.

OT: For me it would be Bloodborne > Elden Ring > Dark Souls III > Sekiro (if that counts) > Dark Souls I > Demon's Souls > Dark Souls II

Elden Ring would be top but the last third of game almost soured me on the whole experience. Bosses and enemies with bullshit hyper armor, seemingly endless combos or mixups and killing you in one-two hits even at level 130+ with 40+ vigor. The balancing just seemed completely off and encounters seemed to lack the polish of the other games as if From put artificial difficulty over making it fun. Incredible game overall though despite this.

Oct 25, 2017
I've been going through the previous games and I think what's stood out the most (aside from DS3 having many of the exact same, arguably worse due to roll spam, enemy attack/combo issues people complain about in Elden Ring) is how glaringly obvious it is that the previous games have fundamental problems due to their over-reliance on the tedium of artificial difficulty associated with lengthy corpse runs back to the boss. Elden Ring is a full on repudiation of something that was originally treated by some as so central to the experience that removing it would fundamentally ruin or taint the game.

Elden Ring proves that the From formula always would have worked better without it. If anything, the previous design is more compromising because it makes you question whether enemy and environmental placement is supposed to challenge your progression through the zone itself or just to make it more difficult and time consuming to learn the boss (or to evaluate or critique their own boss design).

Personally, I always thought this was open and shut when even MMOs, which are intentionally designed around making players play for as long as possible, have long since moved away from that kind of unnecessary and egregious downtime. But it's nice for From themselves to finally, and begrudgingly, admit that not all modernization of systems is bad and that respecting a players time has nothing to do with creating challenging content.

Last edited:

Hoggle

Mar 25, 2021
I really need to replay DS2&3 and play their dlc for the first time, but as it stands now I think Sekiro is my favorite From game actually. It's a variation on the formula that clicked really well with me, moreso than Bloodborne. Elden Ring is fantastic but it does feel like too much of a good thing sometimes, it's maybe a bit too big for me.

You need to play DS3's DLC. The game felt incomplete to me at first, but the DLC fixed that. It's got some of the best moments in the series and it gives you another area to explore very early on if you want to, so the game doesn't end up feeling as linear.

Dark Souls 2 DLC is…okay. I think it made a bad impression on me because I played it with my magic build and every enemy in one of the DLC's has insane magic Defense, so it was hands down the hardest part of the game for me.

wbloop

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
For the longest time Dark Souls 1 was my top pick. Elden Ring changed that, although I dislike some of the decisions made in ER regarding enemy movesets.

I prob would rank them like this:
1) Elden Ring
2) Dark Souls 1
3) Bloodborne
4) Dark Souls 3
5) Dark Souls 2: SotFS

I haven't played enough of Sekiro and DeS Remake to make a judgement on where to rank them, so they're not on there

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
You need to play DS3's DLC. The game felt incomplete to me at first, but the DLC fixed that. It's got some of the best moments in the series and it gives you another area to explore very early on if you want to, so the game doesn't end up feeling as linear.
I already loved DS3, it felt like the most consistent Souls game to me, no underwhelming areas. But I never got around to the dlc, really should yeah.

Kyubajin

Feb 22, 2019
130 hours later (still haven't beat the game, taking it slow) I'd say ER is among the best From has ever created. Bloodborne is still Miyazaki's best imho but this is approaching it.

1) Bloodborne
2) Elden Ring, Dark Souls
3) Dark Souls III, Sekiro
4) Demon's Souls (remake)
5) Dark Souls II SotFS

scatrapper

Nov 25, 2021
still playing elden ring so too soon. I'm finding Im rushing too much to the open worlds and one shotting all the side bosses. I love the more labyrinth like games, but then again, elden ring has a few locations similar to soulslike areas so we can have both.

Still i can't help but feel a bit 'rushed'. I'm still learning to get into the right mindset but I think i'm almost there.

Right now I'd say:

1. Bloodborne
2. Elden Ring/Sekiro/Dark Souls 1
3. Dark Souls 3/Dark Souls 2/Demon Souls

nelsonqos

Jul 8, 2019
I think if Elden Ring was half the size it would be my favourite. Bloodborne reings supreme. I've never had to grind in any souls game before but Elden Ring has made me do that. Kind of takes the joy out of it. Whilst exploration is fun, it is often for stuff you don't need. You also don't get enough runes for defeating optional bosses and it can feel a bit pointless for all the effort you put in. Still to play Sekiro though...

viral

Oct 25, 2017
DS3 has the best gameplay, DS1 the best lore, DS2 just sucks in both. I would put Elden Ring after DS3/DS1, but still great. Haven't played BB/Demon's and I don't consider Sekiro a soulslike.

Megabreath

Oct 25, 2018
Not played Elden Ring yet, but Sekiro is my favourite if it counts, i hadn't played a game as exciting and challenging as that in years. I loved DS1 and DS2, DS3 is also great but had some frustrating parts for me. Overall id say the quality is consistent.

I feel like Bloodborne is slightly overrated, its a great game on par with with the other From games for me, I don't think it belongs on some pedestal. I won't be surprised if i feel the same about Elden Ring.

CupOfDoom

Dec 17, 2017
  1. Sekiro
  2. Elden Ring
  3. Dark Souls 1
  4. Demon's Souls (not remake)
  5. Dark Souls 2
  6. Dark Souls 3
Bloodborne is unranked because I bounced off hard the second I ran out of blood vials, and realized I had to farm them. I'd rank it #1 for aesthetic though, and plan to go back and give it a real shot later this year.

Like other have said, Elden Ring really suffers from a huge dip in quality/ enjoyment in its last third.

DS3 suffers from being the 4th soul's game I had played in a 5 year span. If it had come out a year later, or took some wild swings, I probably would rank it higher.

M4n

Oct 25, 2017
Leon, Spain
  1. Bloodborne
  2. Elden Ring
  3. Dark Souls
  4. Sekiro
  5. Demon's Souls
  6. Dark Souls 3
  7. Dark Souls 2
The conclusion is obvious imho, new IPs with iterations on the base idea that was born with Demon's, are more interesting than direct sequels.

Jencks

Oct 25, 2017
Now that I'm at the ending I think I can confidently rank them:

1. Sekiro
2. Dark Souls 1
3. Bloodborne
4. Elden Ring
5. Demon's Souls
6. Dark Souls 2
7. Dark Souls 3

Elden Ring is mid tier for me. Bosses feel over-designed, most of them I would describe as straight up bad. Giant monsters that flail around eating up the entire camera or ridiculously fast humanoids with stupid undodgeable attacks. It feels like the worst of Dark Souls 3 and Bloodborne cranked up to 11.

The open world is my favorite part but is likely the cause of the balance issues especially in the last chunk. I appreciate how open it is while still maintaining a clear path. You are ascending to godhood in-game and the map reflects that with the intended path being an upward curve to the north, toward the Erdtree.

Hope the next game is more focused like Sekiro.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
User Warned: Thread Whining
IS 'FOR A WHILE' A MONTH?

IS THAT WHERE WE'RE AT?

JUST LET A GAME BE OUT FOR AN ACTUAL WHILE

SO MANY THREADS

DaciaJC

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

Pretty hilarious thing to say about DS2 when you have an avatar of Ornstein.

DS3 was a damned fine game. Yeah, it went overboard with the callbacks, but that doesn't invalidate everything else that makes it so good (level design, bosses, music, NPCs, etc).

system shocko

Jan 17, 2018
Dark Souls 3 was not completely original on the surface, being of course a 3, but if some asset were reused, to me what counts is the balance between fidelity and splendid new discovery. Plenty of this there was, and so it was an incredibly polished, inventive, devilishly seducing experience, towards a well deserved grand("grandepressing")finale.

Dark Souls 2, beside some uncertainty in the general sense of connection, was set after set of mystery and marvel, with a remaster, for once, not resting on laurels despite being so close in time.

Dark Souls 1, with a rushed but still haunting last segment, was maybe the game that got me in awe the most with the idea of level design, in 49 years and after many metroidvanias, and the most in sense of danger and bravery, in search of the next bonfire.

If we don't count Demon's Souls. Here the sense of menace, particularly on Latria, is stellar, competing with the greatest survival horrors ever, surpassing many.

If we don't count Bloodborne, a symphony of horrors without rivals.

As without rivals are all, absolutely all, the DLC contents. They are not just adding more stuff mechanically, but more sense, and at the same time more mystery, and at times even more quality through the cracks of the main game.

And every time the very idea of action-adventure-rpg, as a mission to restore some order in a crumbling reality, is modeled around the opposite. The violence is always ambiguous (Shadow of the Colossus-like), the journey is from chasm to chasm instead of building bridges, the chaos is in your actions first of all, you disappear and return to retrieve your "soul" over and over again, as if it was the body the real soul, and the soul some inert energy. The co-op is limited, wordless, uncertain and paired with, again, the opposite, the invasions, adding an incredible tension overall, even if the invaders, more and more year after year, are cheaters, even at this weak point, if you want to play along, the game is always whispering in your ear: some invincible sob is coming to get you.

Games of contrasting juxtapositions: a frightful order verging into chaos, but also maybe a peaceful chaos verging into frightful order, and a constant, as constant as it is reticent, invitation to contemplate this narrative mystery, as reflective as can be a thing at the same time ordering you to adopt a tactic, to study it, but without giving you pause.

The many very obscure aspects, a ton of them in the narrative, are then in my opinion enrichments, are calling me to explore, to research more, but only because in the end the reward is there. And I don't even go into the lore very much, but not many (read: no other one) narratives in games were able to make me think, not of other fantasy writers (that I mostly don't have the time to read, sadly), but of the works of James Frazer.

Speaking of gameplay again, Sekiro, like Bloodborne in his way, tries a different path, and finds in himself another milestone.

Because magisterially, when they seem to concede something with their games, like more frequent bonfires, or fast travel etc, they are really using these concessions to expand the means and the scenarios, and to shove under your throat even more challenge.

They are constantly changing their vision I think, just without going from space to cowboys, but above all, without selling an ounce of their integrity, not even in selling this like some "tegridy" facade. Just the idea of putting on the market a thing of pure challenge like Sekiro, and winning the challenge as a soft house, is very telling.

And then, Elden Ring?

The fact that they are, at this point, not only not imploded, but so magnificently exploding the formula while keeping the balance between risk and exploration, progress and repetiton, in a way that many can say, not all of course but many, that this is the best open world ever and one of the greatest games ever, just as when I was saying to myself, back then playing Demon's, and then the Dark ones, and then Bloodborne, and then Sekiro: this is the best stuff I'v ever...

Well, "just" this fact, and sorry if I went to a general recap, is why Elden to me is impossible to classify. It's only the best stuff that I need, as f always with FROM

Cronogear

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
1. Bloodborne
2. Dark Souls
3. Demon's Souls
4. Elden Ring
5. Dark Souls 3
6. Dark Souls 2

Leaving Sekiro unranked because I didn't like it when it came out and didn't get very far in.

Reedirect

Oct 27, 2017
It's been a while since I finished Dark Souls I and II, not since launch, so I'm only following my memories and feelings here, but vaguely:

1. Dark Souls
2. Elden Ring
3. Demon's Souls
4. Dark Souls 3
5. Bloodborne
6. Dark Souls 2
7. Sekiro

JMZ

Apr 15, 2019
loved all of them, none are perfect.

Atmosphere and setting - Bloodborne easily takes this for me.
Combat - Sekiro, Lack of so called builds compared to other entries but the combat at its core is amazing.
Home Hub - Tough choice but there is just something about Majula DS2 , the music, the lighting , ocean view....
Maiden- Maiden in black or The Doll

I have completed Elden Ring, took about 90 Hours for all bosses etc....Loved it. Had Age of stars ending.

Looking back , the open World design they absolutely nailed but compared to other entries in terms of Bosses, combat , atmosphere I feel it doesn't surpass other entries.