• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Wescoast76

Tried to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Sep 22, 2018
I mean look at the context though bruh. This is the PS4's 5th holiday season vs. Switch's 2nd. PS4 has sold and still sells ridiculously, but all good things eventually come to an end. We are hitting the typical ending point for a generation andngetting ready to start the next. The fact that the PS4 is even going toe to toe with Switch at this point is commendable. No need to make it a competition. Everyone (hopefully) got a piece of the pie this November. lol

A successful console's sales grow over time. First and second year are always the weakest of a successful console. I know you know this...

OP
OP

donny2112

Oct 27, 2017
I think people are fine with the idea that PS4 and Switch are likely close in units. With PS4 actually being $100 less than Switch in BF week, it's entirely possible that he's correct by revenue but units end up with PS4 ahead. If that's the case, please don't try to rake him over the coals or something. If legit, he's just trying to help out and shouldn't be punished for doing so in an unexpected manner (revenue vs. units ranking).

Sonicfan059

Mar 4, 2018
What does Smash have to do with November? And there's a new gen Pokemon probably slated for next November, if anything Switch could have an even bigger November in 2019.
A lot... People buy consoles based on what's out and what's out in the near future. You can't tell me people buying Switches in November have no interest in Smash.

Anyway it appears they do have big games already slated so it won't be down. As far as Sony goes the only one holding them back is themselves but putting profit over massive sells seems to be their game now as they rev up for PS5.

Jiggy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
wherever

Well I guess the 3DS wasn't a successful console

worldwide-sales-of-the-nintendo-3ds-since-2004.jpg

Or the Wii

Or maybe you just don't know what you're talking about

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
I will wait for Pork numbers or the official NPD report because revenue wise the Switch was always going to take November.

Jiggy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
wherever
Only "consoles" I can think of are 3DS and XBO.
3DS had a huge price cut year one, and XBO has gone like a rollercoaster (up and down, up and down)

You can't think of any other consoles that sold better in their first couple of years than their later years? Really?

The PS2 and 360 might be exceptions both they were both plagued by major supply issues

The DS and PS1 are the only real outliers I can think of here

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
If Sony decides to make the PS4's price go back to 199 at any point next holidays, then we're cooking with gas.

Also, a 5 year old console going neck and neck with a two year old console, one which had two major titles/evergreens come out, is impressive.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
If I recall, I feel the general consensus from insiders was:
Units, it was for PS4
And Revenue, it was for Switch.

(I could be wrong)

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
Lifecycle sales highly depend on entry price. Platforms with a lower launch price tend to cluster high sales during early years while platforms with a higher price tend to have smoother lifecycles because they first rely on a more dedicated, and smaller, audience and then expand through price cuts. I mean, this is pretty much the standard rule in consumer electronics (even if things might get blurrier with revisions and different simultaneous versions targeted towards different audiences).

Wescoast76

Banned
Sep 22, 2018
Lifecycle sales highly depend on entry price. Platforms with a lower launch price tend to cluster high sales during early years while platforms with a higher price tend to have smoother lifecycles because they first rely on a more dedicated, and smaller, audience and then expand through price cuts. I mean, this is pretty much the standard rule in consumer electronics (even if things might get blurrier with revisions and different simultaneous versions targeted towards different audiences).

That's a fair analysis. Which the point is there's no possibility the Switch will be down yoy next November.

allan-bh

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Would be fun if Switch outsold PS4, unexpected events always make things more interesting, but likely didn't happen.

ZhugeEX

Senior Analyst at Niko Partners
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Peak years in the US (Counting launch year as year 1)

NDS: 6th year
PSP: 4th year
360: 7th year
Wii: 3rd year
PS3: 6th year
3DS 1st year
Vita: 1st year
Wii U: 3rd year
PS4: 3rd year (So far)
One: 3rd year (So far)

Deleted member 8791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
How should we value revenue vs units anyway? More money made from hardware vs potentially more people in your console's echo system?

Pablo Mesa

Banned
Nov 23, 2017
I like our group of (potential) leakers, pork and sheep. Cant wait for beef next month!
you meant Fish, right?
That... isn't true

Like at all
unless you are thinking the last years of the life spam. the 1st years are never as good as the mid life of the HW spam.
How should we value revenue vs units anyway? More money made from hardware vs potentially more people in your console's echo system?
PS3 sold almost 100M units but PS lost 6 -7 USD Billions.

on the long run as long as you are not going red, having more HW out is better cause higher user pool = more chances to sell more games.

Oct 27, 2017
This doesn't back up most of what you said.
I'm interested in your analysis on this. Wescoast stated that the 1st and 2nd years are usually the weakest years and your data indicates that peak years are typically in the mid to end of a console life. To me this suggests that Wescoast was on the right track but you have stated otherwise - what are your thoughts on this? Thanks for your insight.

El Manco

Oct 28, 2017

3DS 1st year
It looks like in current gen (3DS --> One) system peak year happens generally earlier than in old gen (NDS --> PS3)
So, 2019 will be fantastic for Switch.

>__

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 28, 2018

3DS 1st year

I thought we were talking about global shipments.

Oct 27, 2017
This doesn't back up most of what you said.

LOL Ice cold.

I'm interested in your analysis on this. Wescoast stated that the 1st and 2nd years are usually the weakest years and your data indicates that peak years are typically in the mid to end of a console life. To me this suggests that Wescoast was on the right track but you have stated otherwise - what are your thoughts on this? Thanks for your insight.

Meaning that the 1st and 2nd years tend to fall in the midrange of sales which would satisfy the condition of those not being the weakest years in sales.

Wescoast76

Banned
Sep 22, 2018

How is that "ice cold"? Lol

Also the Vita was not a successful system and I wouldn't include it on the list. Neither was the WiiU and my Criteria was "successful consoles" so we can also throw out the 3ds, psp and DS. So the list should look like this.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017

Also the Vita was not a successful system and I wouldn't include it on the list. Neither was the WiiU and my Criteria was "successful consoles" so we can also throw out the 3ds, psp and DS. So the list should look like this.

Guy, stop. You are moving goalposts.

Jawbreaker

Oct 25, 2017
New York City

You've just moved the goalposts to an entirely different planet.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada

3DS 1st year
I'm actually surprised by a few of these.

1. Wii U - I know 3rd year had Smash and Mario Kart, but even still, I'm surprised it didn't peak in its first year like other unpopular consoles tend to do.
2. Insane that both Xbox 360 and PS3 peaked so late. Without looking up software, I would have expected PS3 to peak in 2009 with release of the Slim model. 360 makes sense though. Easy to forget how lucrative Kinect was.

Shouldn't DS be 5th year though? I thought it sold most both in the US and worldwide in 2009.

allan-bh

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm actually surprised by a few of these.

1. Wii U - I know 3rd year had Smash and Mario Kart, but even still, I'm surprised it didn't peak in its first year like other unpopular consoles tend to do.
2. Insane that both Xbox 360 and PS3 peaked so late. Without looking up software, I would have expected PS3 to peak in 2009 with release of the Slim model. 360 makes sense though. Easy to forget how lucrative Kinect was.

Shouldn't DS be 5th year though? I thought it sold most both in the US and worldwide in 2009.

He said that is considering the launch year as year 1, so the 6th year of DS is indeed 2009.

About PS3, 2009 is very close to the peak year, like ~200k less.

Ultra

Oct 30, 2017
Switch peak year will probably be next year with the lineup they got brewing. Animal Crossing and core Pokemon leading the pack and it's a recipe for $$$. Plus possible price cut.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Switch being #1 in revenue likely mean that the gap in units sold between it and PS4 is even shorter than what a lot of us expected.