• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

kess

Oct 27, 2017
The GOP is trying to end the emergency declaration in PA, emboldening the usual suspects. Some dickhead tried telling me it was illegal to make him comply to our store regulations today.

Last edited:

Rockets

Sep 12, 2018
Virginia unveiled its plan for reopening schools today for those in the education field and/or curious:

https://www.governor.virginia.gov/newsroom/all-releases/2020/june/headline-857292-en.html

as far as I understand it, schools will be able to open in the Fall while following social distancing guidelines (keeping students 6 feet apart [lmao], reducing classroom sizes, eating lunch in the classroom, etc.) staff will be required to wear masks; students will be encouraged to do the same. and then some students might opt to do everything entirely online.

a few districts have already shared some ideas about how they might proceed, though they've acknowledged they'll have to start later to adequately plan for all of this. one idea presented by one district that I actually don't hate is staggering the schedule so that one group of students attends on Mondays/Wednesdays, another on Tuesday/Thursdays, and Fridays are staff workdays.

tl;dr: it's a mess and they probably should've stuck with remote learning for the first semester
They absolutely should've stuck with remote learning. It really feels like they're moving too fast.

cb1115

Oct 25, 2017
They absolutely should've stuck with remote learning. It really feels like they're moving too fast.
VA was one of the most proactive states in the country with regards to school closures too. if they're reopening in the Fall, most other states probably will too.

...until they have to close down again when another wave hits

EDebs1916

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I love that they put the only two black and brown men in the front row. 'Totally Not on purpose! The blacks they love Trump!'

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
Belgium: 16 new deaths, 8 in hospitals and 8 in retirement homes. Now 9.636 deaths. Might end up just below 10.000 in the first wave. 19 new hospitalisations, while 61 people have been discharged. It means only 482 beds are used! First drop under 500 since 18 March. Drop on intensive care as well, down 3 to 99. First time under 100 since 18 March.

GCX

Oct 27, 2017
Finnish government decided today to allow quarantine-free travel to Baltic countries (Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania), Norway, Denmark and Iceland starting next Monday.

Last edited:

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
I seriously don't get this. New Positives is really Low, but the Number of Deaths Is still very high.
I think it is mostly due to the fact that only recently the number of new positives decreased so much, while before it was still quite high. So the same percentage of people that were tested positive are still dying, indipendently of how many ICU beds are available.

RocknRola

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Portugal:

35.910 confirmed cases.
+ 310 since yesterday. 0.9% growth.
1.504 deaths.
+ 7 since yesterday.
22.002 recoveries.
+ 260 since yesterday.

415 people hospitalised.
- 2 since yesterday.
70 in the ICU.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
Sorry for not posting the update yesterday, will do it now

Chile Update June 10th

+ 5.737 new positivies, 148.496 total
+ 192 !!! new deaths, 2.475 total
+ 1.354 ventilated, 365 critical, 311 ventilators avaliable
+14.498 new tests reported, 761,090 total

Second biggest jump in new positives, while the daily tests is the lowest in the past 8 days. The whooping 192 deaths are due to the new methodology, this one follows the Registro Civil records (The office of civil records) of deaths in the country, instead of those reported by medics directle. So it's slower, where we will see days like the one before with only 19 deaths (Despite medics claiming more than 80) and days with several deaths added together like yesterday. It's confusing and does nothing to the already poor credibility of the government's numbers.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
Chile update, June 11th

+ 5.596 new positives, 154.092 total
+ 173 new deaths, 2.648 total
+ 1.379 connected to a ventilator, 368 critical
+ 19.976 reported tests, 781.043 total

There are also 1.618 currently in ICUs
a 25% of positivity rate
33% positivity in the capital even after a month of "Quarantine"

The death count is horrible, yet government is not using international standards in the counting. After changing three times the methodology in the past days, government says it's not recommended to change so often the methodology since it confuses people.

Fuck guys, I really can't stand living here. We are going straight into Italy's situation despite the months we had as warnings, government doesn't know what the fuck it's doing, but they are looking to create a "economic reactivation" strategy for when it's over, despite everything,

This is the day 100 since the first case in March.

DrM

Oct 26, 2017
Slovenia
Public events up to 500 people will be allowed in Slovenia from Monday.
International travel will be possible with trains and buses.

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
Italy's update:
+379 new positive cases (total 236142)
+53 new deaths (total 34167)
+1399 new recoveries (total 171338)

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017

LiquidDimBeagle-size_restricted.gif

Charpunk

Oct 25, 2017
Dang, Florida with the largest spike so far. Fuck DeSantis and all of these people around here acting like the virus is gone.

Deleted member 9932

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
portugal is more or less opening everything next monday (outside of nightclubs), even tho lisbon has record cases for 1-2 weeks. government stopped believing they have any way to control the spread, lisbon had great results during the quarantine naturally it's the most affected area post-reopening. They will just move ahead with contact/tracing and hope people follow the social distance guidelines.

CJohn

Oct 30, 2017
portugal is more or less opening everything next monday (outside of nightclubs), even tho lisbon has record cases for 1-2 weeks. government stopped believing they have any way to control the spread, lisbon had great results during the quarantine naturally it's the most affected area post-reopening. They will just move ahead with contact/tracing and hope people follow the social distance guidelines.
I am worried but it is obvious they are suffering mad pression to open the economy in Lisbon.

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't realize that Arizona had a significantly lower population than NYC. So that's not a great number, albeit where NYC was in May when things had come down a lot. But AZ is also on the wrong side of the spike right now.

KingKong

Oct 27, 2017
it really does feel like people wont care until the hospital systems get overwhelmed, and maybe not even then. well good luck with all those seniors, Florida and Arizona

Dec 12, 2017
I know it's a bit early. but no noticeable protest bump yet for NYC. 24K tests and only 1.7% tested positive yesterday. I think we can rule out a Memorial Day spike.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Washington's State Superintendent says if there will be in person schooling of any kind, that everyone will be required to wear masks. The angry parent messages have begun.

Elshoelace

Oct 25, 2017
it really does feel like people wont care until the hospital systems get overwhelmed, and maybe not even then. well good luck with all those seniors, Florida and Arizona
I honestly dont think anything will happen then. Our largest hospital system has been saying they are getting close to capacity but closing the state down isnt on the table.

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
Arent a lot of the spikes happening now from places that opened 4+ weeks ago? Not sure why everyone is so hung up on the 2-3 weeks timeline for a single day. Memorial Day should not be factoring much into a spike of new cases.

We probably won't know about the protests affects for 2 more weeks either as it's only been about 2 weeks since they started.

With that said I'm cautiously optimistic about the states that have been taking the virus seriously. Most of the citizens know the importance of masks, social distancing, and proper hygiene. It's evident by how they've flattened the curve.

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
It keeps rising in India. I wonder if they have the means to curtail the spread, and also wonder if current numbers are just the ones they can't miss, essentially among Indians with more healthcare access? No idea how the healthcare system works in India, but in developed countries the disease was easier to diagnose regardless of income status due to healthcare access. In poor countries I can imagine you'd need really widespread infection for it to start looking significant in diagnosed numbers as you'd have to have enough cases among a minority with good healthcare access to notice.

Oct 27, 2017
Arent a lot of the spikes happening now from places that opened 4+ weeks ago? Not sure why everyone is so hung up on the 2-3 weeks timeline for a single day. Memorial Day should not be factoring much into a spike of new cases.

We probably won't know about the protests affects for 2 more weeks either as it's only been about 2 weeks since they started.

With that said I'm cautiously optimistic about the states that have been taking the virus seriously. Most of the citizens know the importance of masks, social distancing, and proper hygiene. It's evident by how they've flattened the curve.
Thing is some states like NY or NJ—especially NY—are testing so much that you ought to see some kind of signal after two weeks, at least if there were a real superspreading problem. Median symptom onset is five days, and new cases aren't even really flat week to week, they're still going down. And this is two straight weeks of dozens of mass outdoor events per day.

KingKong

Oct 27, 2017
protesting outside while wearing a mask isnt a huge risk. you're much more likely to get people infected in an office or store

gcubed

Oct 25, 2017

places that are spiking opened indoors

greepoman

Oct 26, 2017
Holy shit, Arizona is toast.

Goddamn I'm really worried about my wife's parents who live there.
Don't worry it's still early and it's been shown with people wearing masks, social distancing, and being responsible you can quell hot spots especially with some amount of contact tracing.

Surely Arizonians will....

ok nm Arizona is toast.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
It keeps rising in India. I wonder if they have the means to curtail the spread, and also wonder if current numbers are just the ones they can't miss, essentially among Indians with more healthcare access? No idea how the healthcare system works in India, but in developed countries the disease was easier to diagnose regardless of income status due to healthcare access. In poor countries I can imagine you'd need really widespread infection for it to start looking significant in diagnosed numbers as you'd have to have enough cases among a minority with good healthcare access to notice.
India already locked down, and it didn't work. Now they opened up...

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
places that are spiking opened indoors

Yea, I know. And they weren't following precautions. And it still took 4 weeks for a spike.

But I think people obsess over this indoor outdoor thing to much. The reason why indoors is bad is not just enclosed, it's because people are close together for longer periods of time, too, and social distancing of wearing masks. Most things people do outdoors is more spread out. The protests are tightly packed with people together for hours. They are also shouting. It's better than being in a closed space but the virus will still spread if you some breaths close enough to another persons open mouth. If there isn't a spike I'm guessing it's due to masks. The NY ones looked really well masked. Wasn't there a recent story on infected hair stylists not spreading it even though they were inside? They followed precautions with masks and limited customers inside. Masks are a key.

Deleted member 4367

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yea, I know. And they weren't following precautions. And it still took 4 weeks for a spike.

But I think people obsess over this indoor outdoor thing to much. The reason why indoors is bad is not just enclosed, it's because people are close together for longer periods of time, too, and social distancing of wearing masks. Most things people do outdoors is more spread out. The protests are tightly packed with people together for hours. They are also shouting. It's better than being in a closed space but the virus will still spread if you some breaths close enough to another persons open mouth. If there isn't a spike I'm guessing it's due to masks. The NY ones looked really well masked. Wasn't there a recent story on infected hair stylists not spreading it even though they were inside? They followed precautions with masks and limited customers inside. Masks are a key.
But there weren't any cases found as a result of those Lake of the Ozarks parties either.

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
Bulletin for the
French situation for the 11/06:

155561 confirmed cases + 425 in 24H
hospital:
11465 hospitalized -213 in 24 H (143 entries)
903 in intensive care -30 in 24 H (26 entries)
18962 dead + 27 in 24 H

Care homes:
37599 cases
10384 dead

Total 29346 deaths +27 in 24H
covidcare_hosp06113rjkd.png

Hospital graphs:
covid06112jkks.png

ICU entries:
icu0611rckxc.png

Johnny956

Oct 25, 2017
I honestly dont think anything will happen then. Our largest hospital system has been saying they are getting close to capacity but closing the state down isnt on the table.

I noticed that on Arizona's health page about icu capacity. they are easily over total icu capacity from end of March but cthey expanded it as they still are hovering around 80%. The question is how much more they can continue to expand