• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BIG-JG

Oct 27, 2017
This is just the beginning of madness, if you think that people that have been exposed and either know about or don't aren't going to try and hide it and act like nothing is wrong you are mistaken. Even the best efforts to contain it will fail. Stay safe and be smart people.

Snarfington

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
That's.....actually quite impressive. Whatever they are doing, they need to keep doing it. The jump is remarkably less then the previous day. Whew...
Say what you will about the British all taking the piss out of "oh you gotta wash your hands" and shit, but people are aware of it from all this. That and seemingly good contact tracing. More concerned about that 8 they don't know where it came from.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A further 7.5 billion Euros are being set apart by the Italian government to help families, companies, etc. struggling due to the closures, quarantines, and so on. Tax breaks mainly.

There was also going to be a referendum at the end of March, not surprisingly that has been postponed.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
A further 7.5 billion Euros are being set apart by the Italian government to help families, companies, etc. struggling due to the closures, quarantines, and so on. Tax breaks mainly.
That's great. Can't see the UK government doing the same if/when we see a similar outbreak here though.
Say what you will about the British all taking the piss out of "oh you gotta wash your hands" and shit, but people are aware of it from all this. That and seemingly good contact tracing. More concerned about that 8 they don't know where it came from.
Whilst I agree that the government is doing the right thing with the messaging, the incubation period is 14+ days, so we aren't going to be seeing the results of all that yet.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's great. Can't see the UK government doing the same if/when we see a similar outbreak here though.

I have to assume that's gonna happen in every country where there's a similarly big problem. Time will tell. Keep in mind there's towns in Italy where nearly all companies, restaurants, shops, etc. have been closed for weeks, and will be closed at the very least for another 10 days. Big multinationals won't close for losing a month of profit (but some lower level employees might get the boot), small companies, the old lady's bakery and whatnot on the other hand can't afford this. So in various areas they're gonna suspend taxes, loan fees and such to make sure that at the very least they aren't burning money while sitting on their asses doing nothing.

Deleted member 41178

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 18, 2018
So my Mother In Law has been feeling unwell for about a week now with Flu like symptoms(father in law is now also feeling ill) and called 111 who advised her to take some cold flu tablets and see how it goes. I was expecting them to want to test her for Covid-19.

I'm surprised for a number of reasons, she only has 1 lung(had the other removed due to cancer), they are both very social people and are constantly at events with large numbers of friends most of whom all travel a lot, the symptoms seem to match.

I guess I thought at this point to contain it they'd have wanted to test her even if the chances were slim.

Deleted member 7777

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is just the beginning of madness, if you think that people that have been exposed and either know about or don't aren't going to try and hide it and act like nothing is wrong you are mistaken. Even the best efforts to contain it will fail. Stay safe and be smart people.

Calm down. What are you basing this on?

It could just as easily stay at this level for weeks on end.

Don't fear monger. Don't panic. Wash your hands. Stay home if you're sick. Avoid touching your face.

Things are going to be okay.

Jmdajr

Oct 25, 2017
Costco is Houston area already limiting certain sales. Guess you can't build your Toilet Paper fort.

Praxis

Sausage Tycoon
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Just went to get my hair cut and had to use hand sanitizer before I was allowed in the building.

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017
These must be Trumpers sitting near me in a restaurant because I just overheard them discussing whether it was safe to go to a boat show, and this was their conclusion:

"Well, poor people don't buy boats."

"Good point."

Deleted member 7777

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Costco is Houston area already limiting certain sales. Guess you can't build your Toilet Paper fort.

People stock piling tp are absolute fucking morons. Do people think they won't be able to go outside for a year? I don't get it. It's a virus. You can still go outside. Society will still function. You just need to be extra dilligent about cleaning/disinfecting.

The panic is hilariously overblown.

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Spanish Flu likely came about as a result of overcrowding/overpopulation due to the industrial revolution. The more humans there are and the denser the population is the more likely it is that viruses will emerge among human population and lead to pandemics, it's mathematic. It is not a coincidence that these strains usually come from China nowadays. Statistically speaking, there is no reason why some other deadly virus could not emerge next week, next month, next year.

Overcrowding and Mortality During the Influenza Pandemic of 1918
www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov

Overcrowding and Mortality During the Influenza Pandemic of 1918: Evidence From US Army Camp A. A. Humphreys, Virginia

The influenza pandemic of 1918 killed more than 50 million people. Why was 1918 such an outlier? I. W. Brewer, a US Army physician at Camp Humphreys, Virginia, during the First World War, investigated several factors suspected of increasing the risk of ...

What 11 Billion People Mean for Disease Outbreaks
www.livescience.com

With 11 billion people expected to live on Earth by 2100, the spread of infectious disease is a major concern, and scientists are working to spot the next pandemic before it starts.

Bosch

Banned
May 15, 2019
Spanish Flu likely came about as a result of overcrowding/overpopulation due to the industrial revolution. The more humans there are and the denser the population is the more likely it is that viruses will emerge among human population and lead to pandemics, it's mathematic. It is not a coincidence that these strains usually come from China nowadays. Statistically speaking, there is no reason why some other deadly virus could not emerge next week, next month, next year.

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov

Overcrowding and Mortality During the Influenza Pandemic of 1918: Evidence From US Army Camp A. A. Humphreys, Virginia

The influenza pandemic of 1918 killed more than 50 million people. Why was 1918 such an outlier? I. W. Brewer, a US Army physician at Camp Humphreys, Virginia, during the First World War, investigated several factors suspected of increasing the risk of ...

www.livescience.com

With 11 billion people expected to live on Earth by 2100, the spread of infectious disease is a major concern, and scientists are working to spot the next pandemic before it starts.
Man the planet can't hold current population, The signs are all around but people even here on Era insist it is fine and we can have more people...
Natural Resources for a year deplet in August... global warming, virus, air pollution...

but people keep insisting that having more kids is fine... ok...

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
My doctor has it. Probably for a while but they only caught it yesterday.

Feel terrible for him. Hopefully he didn't infect too many.

KillerMan91

Oct 25, 2017
Man the planet can't hold current population, The signs are all around but people even here on Era insist it is fine and we can have more people...
Natural Resources for a year deplet in August... global warming, virus, air pollution...

but people keep insisting that having more kids is fine... ok...

Global fertility rate has been decreasing each year for decades. No developed nation has birth rate enough to even replace their current population (so population increase is driven by immigration). Most of Asia is the same. Economic development leads to lower birth rate. In 100 years we will be wondering how we could get people to have more children as global population will start to collapse without end in sight.

FreezePeach

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lol, this guy at that congress hearing in response to how to keep panic down is basically giving panic inducing answers. 'angel of death for old people', 'this is defiitely not a regular flu', 'health officials getting sick will be devastating for morale and the workforce', 'might need the national guard'.

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov

www.livescience.com

IMO, the germane lesson from that piece of history is that outcomes will largely depend on preparedness and the capacity of the healthcare system. Can't think of any practical or healthy reason to dwell on doom and gloom regarding the population levels at the moment.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
These must be Trumpers sitting near me in a restaurant because I just overheard them discussing whether it was safe to go to a boat show, and this was their conclusion:

"Good point."
At least they didn't say
"the corona virus can't swim!, so it's safe"

Froli

Oct 25, 2017
Philippines
Can anyone translate this? It's an article saying that a Japanese person got the virus after vising Philippines. Google Translate is inaccurate
Thanks in advance

www.kyoto-np.co.jp

新型コロナ新たな感染者、フィリピン滞在歴ある30代男性 京都府で6例目|社会|地域のニュース|京都新聞

京都府は5日、大阪市在住の30代日本人男性から新型コロナウイルスが検出されたと発表した。府内の感染は6例目。 府と長岡京市によると、男性は…

Oct 25, 2017
Someone from one of my kids institutions is in quarrentine. Her husband aparently went to northern italy, but he doesn't have symptoms, so he hasn't been tested. They are expecting to have her back on monday......

DarkChronic

Oct 27, 2017
Have an opportunity to sell my hockey tickets tonight (venue is at Madison Square Garden in NYC). Should I sell em? Risk going?

Seriously at a loss at what I should do.

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
Have an opportunity to sell my hockey tickets tonight (venue is at Madison Square Garden in NYC). Should I sell em? Risk going?

Do you share space or regularly come into contact with people in their late 50's/60's or who are immunocompromised? If not, I'd probably just be careful and practice good hygeine. Otherwise, maybe consider not going.

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC

If you regularly come into contact with older folks, I'd think twice. If you don't, just accept the fact that you're likely going to get sick and will likely be fine. So just go and practice good hygiene.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
My doctor has it. Probably for a while but they only caught it yesterday.

Feel terrible for him. Hopefully he didn't infect too many.
Just thinking about how much the last doctor I saw touched my face etc... not good.

"Good point."

I'd have struggled to stop myself going over and dumping a drink on them, or worse.

ReactionShot

Oct 25, 2017
769 new cases + 41 deaths in Italy; 3858 cases in total (148 deaths, 3.8%).

13 new cases in NY (2 in NYC).

25 new cases in England (115 in total in UK).

151 new cases in Germany (500 in total).

g23

Oct 27, 2017
Any news out of Iran? I feel like they are getting hit pretty bad at the moment but what's unsettling is that we're are barely hearing anything from them.

DrM

Oct 26, 2017
Slovenia
Third case confirmed in Slovenia

So far they found 27 individuals that were in contact with the first patient.

MasterChumly

Oct 25, 2017
Can anyone translate this? It's an article saying that a Japanese person got the virus after vising Philippines. Google Translate is inaccurate
Thanks in advance

www.kyoto-np.co.jp

This isn't good. Literally the same situation occurred with Iran. Mysteriously people coming back started testing positive and it points to a much larger outbreak

SuperRaddy

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
A few days ago i was really panicking and getting down by the whole situation, i am 40 yrs old and with type-2 diabetes so i am in one of those high risk groups.

But i woke up yesterday and though i couldn't keep up acting this way.. Since then, i've come to the conclusion that i may or may not get it, i may nor may not die. I am going to take precautions against it but ultimately there will be very little i can do. Just going to live my live and enjoy it. Stopped reading the news every 5 minutes.

Stay safe everyone, but this isn't the end of the world.

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Low count of cases in canada seems too good to be true at this point.

They're not doing general testing yet. Still just for people who travel from affected countries. It'll probably change with the outbreaks all around the world now.

It's possible we have it circulating, but if your not tested, how do you know it's not just a cold or flu?

johnsavage

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks in advance

www.kyoto-np.co.jp

Disclaimer: I'm currently learning Japanese.
  • 30 yr old Osaka man.
  • 6th case in Osaka
  • Stayed in the Philippines from 2/20-2/28.
  • On the way home, he went through an airport, metro, and taxi.
  • Got the fever and pneumonia and saw a doctor on 3/2. Wasn't diagnosed with corona
  • Didn't get better, saw a different doctor on the 3/4. Was confirmed to be corona on the 3/5