• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Nov 7, 2017
I live in SoCal in LA County, but not in the main city. I feel we're handling it relatively decently. Some stores like Trader Joe's are limiting the # of people in the store and maintaining social distancing for the line to get in, which is about as good as you can get. People in general seem to be observing the restrictions as best they can, though there are obviously always gonna be outliers.
They need to straight up close public parks. Here in SF Golden Gate Park looks the same as in any other day before COVID.

Oct 25, 2017
I live in SoCal in LA County, but not in the main city. I feel we're handling it relatively decently. Some stores like Trader Joe's are limiting the # of people in the store and maintaining social distancing for the line to get in, which is about as good as you can get. People in general seem to be observing the restrictions as best they can, though there are obviously always gonna be outliers.

I honestly think all the rain we got right at the start of the crisis helped keep people in at a critical time. Social distancing is kinda the norm when it's raining.

Oct 27, 2017
SoCal
I honestly think all the rain we got right at the start of the crisis helped keep people in at a critical time. Social distancing is kinda the norm when it's raining.
Yeah, the rain definitely helped keep people indoors during that crucial time. I can't say I've visited any of our local parks ever, let alone recently, hahah. I can definitely see that being an issue in the main cities, though.

I've also seen a decent number of people wearing masks when running errands, and people maintained a ton of space when I went to pick up food once at a local restaurant. So that's good.

Jan 31, 2018
Bill Gates is funding new factories for 7 potential coronavirus vaccines, even though it will waste billions of dollars

Bill Gates is plugging money into building factories for seven promising coronavirus vaccine candidates, even though it will mean wasting billions of dollars.

On Thursday's episode of "The Daily Show," the Microsoft billionaire told the host Trevor Noah that his philanthropic organization, the Gates Foundation, could mobilize faster than governments to fight the coronavirus outbreak.

"Because our foundation has such deep expertise in infectious diseases, we've thought about the epidemic, we did fund some things to be more prepared, like a vaccine effort," Gates said. "Our early money can accelerate things."

Gates said he was picking the top seven vaccine candidates and building manufacturing capacity for them. "Even though we'll end up picking at most two of them, we're going to fund factories for all seven, just so that we don't waste time in serially saying, 'OK, which vaccine works?' and then building the factory," he said.

Gates said that simultaneously testing and building manufacturing capacity is essential to the quick development of a vaccine, which Gates thinks could take about 18 months.

In a Washington Post op-ed article published earlier this week, Gates said some of the top candidates required unique equipment.

"It'll be a few billion dollars we'll waste on manufacturing for the constructs that don't get picked because something else is better," Gates said in the clip. "But a few billion in this, the situation we're in, where there's trillions of dollars ... being lost economically, it is worth it."

www.businessinsider.com

Bill Gates is helping fund new factories for 7 potential coronavirus vaccines, even though it will waste billions of dollars

Bill Gates had previously said a coronavirus vaccine could be developed in 18 months.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
driving into work today and there was floods of motorcycle groups and people around.

Honestly.....it felt like a normal friday, so many people driving all of a sudden. It was not like this the entire week going to work in the afternoon. Also saw a ton of cars on my way home from work last night at 1:00am.

They legit need to just start charging people honestly, because people ignoring this shit is only making this fucking stay at home order extend longer and longer.

JesterLaughs

Banned
Apr 1, 2020
If today's numbers don't get people to take this seriously and stay in doors I don't know what will :(

it certainly isn't going to get any better from here for a long while, especially now other states are starting to gain numbers

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
The only good thing to come out of this for SoCal is the air is cleaner than I've ever experienced in my many years here. You can see and breathe the difference. It's amazing, and I dread for when all the traffic returns.

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
"Owes us"? Sure, he might not have been the best in the past, but he's been helping poor countries and funding to study diseases for many years now. Surely saving a bunch of lives (even BEFORE this) is already worth redemption...
Yeah, he's redeemed from stealing DOS in my eyes. Not that he actually did, but he did (kidding, there's no proof iirc ) :P
Still, age did some good... it's clearly not for tax schemes like so many others, and that's refreshing in our world of brutes, HIV, malaria, etc....
If you told me in 1993 that one day i would like what Bill Gates does... i would have asked if you were alright, fearing the sun hit too hard.

I'll watch Computer Chronicle on Windows 3.0 to celebrate.

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
If today's numbers don't get people to take this seriously and stay in doors I don't know what will :(

it certainly isn't going to get any better from here for a long while, especially now other states are starting to gain numbers

The other states really aren't growing faster, percentage-wise, than they were before. It's just that going from 100 to 130 in a day looks a lot worse to some people than going from 10 to 13.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Current Orange County numbers right now have me cautiously optimistic:

o4d5ZMO.png

There was a massive spike on April 1st but after that rather than just going higher and higher like I'd feared the numbers have dropped back down to lower levels. I hope that means our hospitals won't be overwhelmed.

JesterLaughs

Banned
Apr 1, 2020
The other states really aren't growing faster, percentage-wise, than they were before. It's just that going from 100 to 130 in a day looks a lot worse to some people than going from 10 to 13.
Yes I suppose so, depends how they are consuming the numbers also I guess.

I use
www.worldometers.info

United States COVID - Coronavirus Statistics - Worldometer

United States Coronavirus update with statistics and graphs: total and new cases, deaths per day, mortality and recovery rates, current active cases, recoveries, trends and timeline.

To track the Numbers in states and around the world, it's the best site I've found so far

Beje

Oct 27, 2017
Does it get hot enough to kill whatever is on there? If so that's a really smart idea.

From a nurse friend: if you have to reuse masks, you can put them in the oven for 30 minutes at 70ºC. Obviously won't work with clothes since you can damage them, but should do the job with N95 masks if you can't get hold of extra ones.

Puggles

Sometimes, it's not a fart
Nov 3, 2017
So what are my options for getting paid if my work place is open but I don't think I should return?

I went to the doctor on tuesday and was treated for brochintis. The steroids helped with the cough a lot but i still wake up feeling like trash until the steroids kick in. I have one day of steroids left and I'm supposed to return to work Monday. I'm not 100% convinced I actually have bronchitis and think I should take another week off to be safe. I only had 4 days of sick time for the entire year which would be used up this week. I can't afford to take at least another week unpaid.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Probably a bit of a dumb question but if you're going to get burgers + fries, is there a good way to heat those up to a temperature that would kill germs but still let the food stay intact? Would an oven be better than a microwave or vice versa?

I have the biggest craving for a burger and want to support a local place that is still doing take out. With pizza I wouldn't think twice, just throw it in the oven for 10-15 minutes no problem.

ZedLilIndPum

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if certain states, through lack of testing, will look like they did a "better" job flattening the curve. They'll just have a massive spike in pneumonia deaths, which of course is just from bad luck/God's will/etc.

Muu

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Probably a bit of a dumb question but if you're going to get burgers + fries, is there a good way to heat those up to a temperature that would kill germs but still let the food stay intact? Would an oven be better than a microwave or vice versa?

I have the biggest craving for a burger and want to support a local place that is still doing take out. With pizza I wouldn't think twice, just throw it in the oven for 10-15 minutes no problem.

If you have an air fryer it'd get those things up hot enough quickly while not making it mushy like microwaves.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if certain states, through lack of testing, will look like they did a "better" job flattening the curve. They'll just have a massive spike in pneumonia deaths, which of course is just from bad luck/God's will/etc.

Isn't that what was going on with Russia for some time? They were reporting an unusually low number of new cases for a country as large as theirs, but at the same time were reporting a large spike in cases of pneumonia.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure much of it is on purpose. There's just a massive lack of tests and testing ability available. Wisconsin has emphasized for a while that we're ridiculously constrained. The only place doing massive testing numbers is New York but even they're not really keeping pace with what they should considering how hot the spot is.

Jom

Oct 25, 2017
They need to straight up close public parks. Here in SF Golden Gate Park looks the same as in any other day before COVID.
Wow I can't believe that hasn't happened in SF yet. Here in the OC the park near me has yellow tape around everything, huge signs saying that only walking and cycling alone is allowed, and even the basketball hoops were removed so people would stop sneaking onto the court.

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"Owes us"? Sure, he might not have been the best in the past, but he's been helping poor countries and funding to study diseases for many years now. Surely saving a bunch of lives (even BEFORE this) is already worth redemption...
It's about time he does something for Americans. Yes he owes us. We made him filthy rich despite his bastardom.

FrozenX

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
What's happening with Australia?

The number of new cases have basically peaked at 250/day and have remains there...

Is this a testing issue, or did they lock things down a while ago? Could the warm climate play a factor in limiting the spread?
It's mostly under control(except nsw) and the curve is flattening for us.

Oct 27, 2017

lupin23rd

Oct 27, 2017

Not based on any actual evidence (although I think I saw the temp suggested somewhere online) but I ordered some Dairy Queen the other day, and threw the burger and fries in the oven at 325 degrees for about 5 minutes "just in case" (while washing my hands several times in the process, and also wiping down the drink container and then pouring it into another container). Bun was a little more crispy than usual but the chicken (crispy chicken sandwich, not a burger) and fries came out fine.