• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone else's thoughts on this oscillating?

I don't know what to think, honestly, I keep flipping from thinking I'm overreacting to literally boarding up our house for 3 weeks.

I'd only board up the house & buy a gun if it was something like >10% fatal.

But what I oscillate between is "none of the family should go to a store / public space at all" and "stores and small gatherings are OK".

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Manifestation was not authorized but "gilets jaunes" do not give a shit about what is authorized or not.

On the other points, you are not wrong unfortunately ...

They did say "we will not prevent manifestations" the day before.

The fact they didn't follow the exact guidelines was to be expected and foolish of the government to even let them assemble at all.

darkside

Oct 26, 2017
So... that paid sick leave bill in the US doesn't actually do anything for people in companies with more than 500 employees or less than 50?

Honestly... most businesses with less than 50 people are going to struggle to make it at all, especially the kinds where work from home isn't an option. The government should be stepping up here and picking up the burden, most restaurants, salons etc are just finished if they're forced to close for months on end and obviously everyone working for them is even more fucked.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So my dad just texted me, very excited.

He tells me he heard that an "Oxford Physicist" is saying that COVID-19 came from outer space, via a comet that crashed in China a few weeks ago. "It all makes sense!" he assures me.

I...I'm at a lost for words.

For the record, my dad hates Trump and voted for Warren in the primary, but nevertheless he is a HUGE believer of the Ancient Astronaut/UFO bullshit.

Naru

May 11, 2019
My mother lives only 20 minutes from me and she asked if I come visit for lunch tomorrow. She is alone too since my stepdad died recently. Is this a bad idea? This is in Germany btw. only around 100 cases confirmed in my state.

NTGYK

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
My mother lives only 20 minutes from me and she asked if I come visit for lunch tomorrow. She is alone too since my stepdad died recently. Is this a bad idea?
I don't think it's bad, but keep your distance and explain that to her?

FTF

Oct 28, 2017
New York

He tells me he heard that an "Oxford Physicist" is saying that COVID-19 came from outer space, via a comet that crashed in China a few weeks ago. "It all makes sense!" he assures me.

For the record, my dad hates Trump and voted for Warren in the primary, but nevertheless he is a HUGE believer of the Ancient Astronaut/UFO bullshit.

...yeah, I wouldn't know what to do with that lol

CrankyJay

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd only board up the house & buy a gun if it was something like >10% fatal.

But what I oscillate between is "none of the family should go to a store / public space at all" and "stores and small gatherings are OK".

Yeah, even though our kids sports leagues were canceled for a few weeks she wants us all to go to DICKS because we have a 15% off coupon to get them sports gear and I see it now as needlessly unnecessary to go. Even though there's currently zero confirmed cases near me. If you asked me a few days ago I would 100% have said hell yeah let's go.

Gpsych

May 20, 2019

Sounds legit. It definitely "makes sense." In fact, it's the only thing that does. No way it could come from anything else. /s

Irnbru

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle

Maybe he read the andromeda strain recently lol

Deleted member 6215

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've been following this thread from the beginning and want to share my appreciation to everyone who has posted detailed info as things developed throughout the world. As a result I've been able to prepare myself, my family, and my organization so much more effectively. We're talking positive impact for 100s of people, so thank you.

Nude_Tayne

Jan 8, 2018
earth

He thinks a strain of COVID virus appeared from outer space a few weeks ago? Uhh...

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
My mother lives only 20 minutes from me and she asked if I come visit for lunch tomorrow. She is alone too since my stepdad died recently. Is this a bad idea? This is in Germany btw. only around 100 cases confirmed in my state.

Keep your distance and make sure you both wash your hands!

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The JFK quote is more in line with a spirit of giving back to one's community and world, ie: JFK founded the Peace Corps. It's not an economic message.
He didn't say community, said country. He was also the president, not a community organizer.
It's a garbage quote and one that is really not fitting right now.
We all should 100% ask what our country can do for us right now, and the idea that it's somehow a bad thing is a terrible way of looking at the relationship between citizens and their public servants.

We don't need volunteers right now, we need our government to get of their ass and start doing shit, for us.

Deleted member 49482

Banned
Nov 8, 2018

You know what would've helped in this situation...some kind of military force based in space.

Like a SPACE FORCE!
(*casts ballot for Trump*)

Seriously though, props to your dad for hating Trump despite that.

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Well fuck

First positive cornivirus case at my base here in Germany

And I live on base so I guess I'm just fucked lol

carlsojo

Shinra Employee
Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
He didn't say community, said country. He was also the president, not a community organizer.
We all should 100% ask what our country can do for us right now, and the idea that it's somehow a bad thing is a terrible way of looking at the relationship between citizens and their public servants.

We don't need volunteers right now, we need our government to get of their ass and start doing shit, for us.

I hate to be the one to break it to you but in all likelihood we're going to need both before this is over.

Deleted member 21709

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, even though our kids sports leagues were canceled for a few weeks she wants us all to go to DICKS because we have a 15% off coupon to get them sports gear and I see it now as needlessly unnecessary to go. Even though there's currently zero confirmed cases near me. If you asked me a few days ago I would 100% have said hell yeah let's go.

Why risk this for a 15% off coupon?
And we should all assume it is in our area, even if there haven't been any positive tests yet. The US is not testing enough.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I hate to be the one to break it to you but in all likelihood we're going to need both before this is over.
I know, but it shouldn't be.
We're the richest country in the history of the world, and we should be paying the people who will do the actual work to fight this virus. Because we both know it wouldn't be our politicians. Who of course will get paid, and have nice health insurance, and can get tested even if they have a cough, and I'm sure will have hospital bed if they really need to.

So yeah, fuck what I can do for them.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Well examining a 50 year old quote through modern political lens likely isn't the best thing to do to begin with. Really actually that quote is also rooted in the Cold War, which was the dominant political issue of its time.

And as this progresses I suspect actually the strategy is going to become that communities have to rally together to support the people in their community that are 65+ so that they can have groceries and other services brought to their doors.

Shutting down society indefinitely is not feasible in this way, the goal right now is to try and flatten the curve as much as possible, but in the future past that first few weeks, likely we're going to need people that go help at risk older populations with basic needs because they probably will need to be isolated from general populations well into the summer.

CrankyJay

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well examining a 50 year old quote through modern political lens likely isn't the best thing to do to begin with. Really actually that quote is also rooted in the Cold War, which was the dominant political issue of its time.

And as this progresses I suspect actually the strategy is going to become that communities have to rally together to support the people in their community that are 65+ so that they can have groceries and other services brought to their doors.

Shutting down society indefinitely is not feasible in this way, the goal right now is to try and flatten the curve as much as possible, but in the future past that first few weeks, likely we're going to need people that go help at risk older populations with basic needs like grocery delivery.

i mean, the simplest takeaway here is in scary times, our current president basically said fuck-all

Remark

Oct 27, 2017
Just heard from my mom the first confirmed case in Central Ohio just happened. Also said it was community spread as well which is a little worrying.

They are closing the schools down earlier than originally expected.

Trice

Banned
Nov 3, 2018
Croatia
The world really needs to put pressure on China to permanently close those wet markets once this is somewhat settled.

Time after time all kinds of shit comes out of those markets. One exotic animal shits on another and now the entire world is eating the shit sandwich

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
Went on a nice walk through a big public park with the SO today. Was nice to get out without putting others at risk

Deleted member 135

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly... most businesses with less than 50 people are going to struggle to make it at all, especially the kinds where work from home isn't an option. The government should be stepping up here and picking up the burden, most restaurants, salons etc are just finished if they're forced to close for months on end and obviously everyone working for them is even more fucked.
Sure, but that doesn't excuse the exemption for companies with more than 500 employees.

BIG J

Oct 27, 2017
Not gonna go to a friend's birthday party because don't want my kid exposed to random people. Smart choice or should I go?

DukeBlueBall

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
Seems like there are big differences between % of people in critical cases in countries. Does this give more credence to the two strain theory?

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/italy/
9%

www.worldometers.info

Spain COVID - Coronavirus Statistics - Worldometer

Spain Coronavirus update with statistics and graphs: total and new cases, deaths per day, mortality and recovery rates, current active cases, recoveries, trends and timeline.
5%

www.worldometers.info

France COVID - Coronavirus Statistics - Worldometer

France Coronavirus update with statistics and graphs: total and new cases, deaths per day, mortality and recovery rates, current active cases, recoveries, trends and timeline.
4%

www.worldometers.info

United Kingdom COVID - Coronavirus Statistics - Worldometer

United Kingdom Coronavirus update with statistics and graphs: total and new cases, deaths per day, mortality and recovery rates, current active cases, recoveries, trends and timeline.
2%

www.worldometers.info

South Korea COVID - Coronavirus Statistics - Worldometer

South Korea Coronavirus update with statistics and graphs: total and new cases, deaths per day, mortality and recovery rates, current active cases, recoveries, trends and timeline.
1% (WHAT)

www.worldometers.info

Germany COVID - Coronavirus Statistics - Worldometer

Germany Coronavirus update with statistics and graphs: total and new cases, deaths per day, mortality and recovery rates, current active cases, recoveries, trends and timeline.
0%

www.worldometers.info

United States COVID - Coronavirus Statistics - Worldometer

United States Coronavirus update with statistics and graphs: total and new cases, deaths per day, mortality and recovery rates, current active cases, recoveries, trends and timeline.
0%

Hubei, Italy, Iran, France, Spain, Netherlands all seem to have lots more critical cases.

I don't think it's a data lagging issue as South Korea is pretty ahead of the time line.

If the mild strain is here in the US, speed running it is actually viable strategy for us. It'll be like a pseudo vaccine imo.

Too bad it seems like UK has the severe strain.

Disclaimer: I'm no doctor.

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
I went for a bike ride and restaurants were packed with people. Really kind of freaked me out to be honest.