• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
The Premier of Ontario just declared the Easter Bunny an essential service provider:

dBJEWpT.jpg
Aww that's cute

Everill

Banned
Dec 2, 2018
But the post I was answering to had just stated that Sweden is doing more testing than other countries, so I'm totally confused now what is the truth here.

Also, looking at the official figures there are 54k tests done so far and a 12-13% infected rate among tests is not that bad in comparison with other countries unless they really tested the wrong people somehow.
huh okay, well I don't know how many people other countries have tested per capita, I just wanted to say where people are being tested at this point, it got narrower in the scope of testing to focus on where they thought tests would have the biggest impact a couple of weeks ago. Seemingly now they are saying they probably should've tested more in retirement homes / care homes due to where a lot of the very very sick / dying people are coming from.

Deleted member 1476

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
At first I was thinking of the people that dress up in malls for photos, but I guess this is more to show kids that Easter isn't cancelled? Kind of like if this happened around Christmas and kids thought that Santa wouldn't give them gifts this year.

Santa would be so fucked. An obese, old guy that visits billions, what could possibly go wrong.

Nabs

Oct 26, 2017
CVS has a rapid testing site in Massachusetts. They can do 1000 tests a day, and they get results in 15 minutes.

chromatic9

Oct 25, 2017
In a bit of positive news, my neighbor's mother in law is 89 years old, recently completed breast cancer treatment, and she got covid-19. Ended up going to the hospital, then into the ICU on a ventilator, and despite all that, her body seems to have overcome it - symptoms have all dissipated and she's back home.

So pleased for her. Thanks for sharing.

Br3wnor

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In a bit of positive news, my neighbor's mother in law is 89 years old, recently completed breast cancer treatment, and she got covid-19. Ended up going to the hospital, then into the ICU on a ventilator, and despite all that, her body seems to have overcome it - symptoms have all dissipated and she's back home.

That's great to hear, need stuff like this in such grim times.

I live in Suffolk County on Long Island which has kind of become the "new" hotspot for NY (and the world I guess) I'm very lucky to live in a somewhat secluded neighborhood with wide roads so wife and I do daily walks around here which helps, but man when I drove into town today to get some supplies it was really disheartening. A lot of people walking around in groups, not many masks, pretty sub par social distancing. A lot of people out and about, I feel guilty because my neighborhood allows relatively safe walking conditions but other areas there's not much room to walk around and people are just saying Fuck if. I worry about the next few weeks since the weather is getting so much better and people are going stir crazy. They closed the beach in my neighborhood thankfully but I walked past there earlier and sure enough cars just parked on the road outside of the parking lot gate and are enjoying the beach. Wasn't crowded thankfully but this is gonna be a shit show for beach areas if this goes on into May, people cannot help themselves.

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah today will be a bad day, highest deaths today here as well

The number of known cases of the new coronavirus in Illinois topped 13,000 on Tuesday as state officials announced 1,287 additional diagnoses and 73 more deaths — the largest number in a single day, bringing the death toll to 380. With COVID-19 now detected in 77 of the state's 102 counties, there have been 13,549 total known cases since the outbreak began in late January.

A member of Gov. J.B. Pritzker's office has tested positive for the new coronavirus, the governor said Tuesday. The employee started to feel unwell on March 26 and immediately went home, Pritzker said. The staffer is feeling better, and no one else in the office has showed symptoms.
www.chicagotribune.com

Coronavirus in Illinois updates: Here’s what happened April 7 with COVID-19 in the Chicago area

Here are the latest updates on the coronavirus in the Chicago area and Illinois.

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
huh okay, well I don't know how many people other countries have tested per capita, I just wanted to say where people are being tested at this point, it got narrower in the scope of testing to focus on where they thought tests would have the biggest impact a couple of weeks ago. Seemingly now they are saying they probably should've tested more in retirement homes / care homes due to where a lot of the very very sick / dying people are coming from.

That's fair, that could explain some of the differences. Interesting approach, one would think that those are exactly the places to protect first especially when you don't have a lockdown and while the infection is not so wild spread to make it increasingly more difficult like in Italy and France.

Everill

Banned
Dec 2, 2018
That's fair, that could explain some of the differences. Interesting approach, one would think that those are exactly the places to protect first especially when you don't have a lockdown and while the infection is not so wild spread to make it increasingly more difficult like in Italy and France.
Yeah, a lot of criticism of their handling is floating around from other experts etc. I'm not an expert of any field related to this so I dunno what is the actual right long term approach but at the very least it does seem like they(Folkhälsomyndigheten) also agree that they messed up with making sure the care homes had the right support to keep their staff and clients safe.

Luminish

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denver
Do experts and models still expect this to last well into the summer?
They all expect at least couple weeks of it being as bad or worse than this, really hard to say other than that.

The models are very split between if the actions over the last two weeks was enough to stop the spread or to just slow the spread. If it stopped the spread, than what we're seeing now should be the worst of it as the last people who caught it 2 or more weeks ago start needing medical care.

But if our actions only slowed the spread, then it won't stop spreading until literally everyone gets it, and we might not see the peak of that until August, give or take a couple months, unless we take further action to actually stop the spread.

We'll know a lot more in a week.

Last edited:

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
All of this happening during allergy season sure is awful timing. I keep thinking my throat feeling like its closing up might be a bad sign, then I have to remind myself that no, I get these same breathing issues around this time of the year anyway.

Br3wnor

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I fucking knew it! I assumed that if someone pushed it, maybe they cut the light by a second or 2 but I figured it was more a placebo effect that made people less impatient because they thought their request meant the light was going to come legitimately faster.

All of this happening during allergy season sure is awful timing. I keep thinking my throat feeling like its closing up might be a bad sign, then I have to remind myself that no, I get these same breathing issues around this time of the year anyway.

Amen, is it allergies or is it COVID is a daily thing for me. So far, I'm 99% it's all been allergies, but I won't know until I either become legitimately sick or the antibody test tells me I had it at one point.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
They all expect at least couple weeks of it being as bad or worse than this, really hard to say other than that.

The models are very split between if the actions over the last two weeks was enough to stop the spread or to just slow the spread. If it stopped the spread, than what we're seeing now should be the worst of it as the last people who caught it 2 weeks or more weeks ago start needing medical care.

But if our actions only slowed the spread, then it won't stop spreading until literally everyone gets it, and we might not see the peak of that until August, give or take a couple months, unless we take further action to actually stop the spread.

We'll know a lot more in a week.
There's also the side deal of even if it does die down, if we let up lockdowns we'll be starting the whole thing again.

Deleted member 8741

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
On Minnesota:

"Minnesota Gov. Tim Walz started his daily COVID-19 update call by saying that he is seeing some "pretty strong indications" that Minnesota is bending the curve."

Malcolm said one way they are tracking the COVID-19 curve is to look at the rate of doubling. She said they are happy to note that Minnesota is seeing a slower rate of doubling than they anticipated.

Since the week of March 18, when they started implementing broader community mitigation, they saw the doubling rate slow to once every eight days, and have maintained that rate.
"That's good news," Malcolm said. "We need to keep this up so we can reduce the chance that our health care system will be overwhelmed by a surge in cases."

So far Minnesota has 34 deaths.

Luminish

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denver
There's also the side deal of even if it does die down, if we let up lockdowns we'll be starting the whole thing again.
That too. I have a little more trust in people wearing masks and trying to be safe in their slow return to normal life, but it's hard to say.

But I have a hard time moving on to that until I'm certain the lockdown was enough to stop the spread.

Oct 27, 2017
The past few weeks, every time I go outside, the throat gets it, gets on your nerves. Lots of stuff in the air right now.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Do we know why deaths in Germany are a lot lower than France, Italy and Spain?
Germany has a lot more ICU beds and it might be that they're doing more testing, so they have more cases. Either that or in a week Germany's death numbers are going to explode since there's a delay between being diagnosed and death.

Oct 25, 2017
these numbers look fabricated especially when you have two days where deaths are not following the trend.. did people just randomly decide not to die for two days?

Or if you actually use your brain for a second, you might realize there's a natural reporting dip on the weekends. :o

(thats been commented on plenty in this thread and others)

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Do we know why deaths in Germany are a lot lower than France, Italy and Spain?
Combination of more UCIs and got lucky on containing before it hit the elderly (due to social relations the youth which used to be the patient 0-1 were less likely to contact them, due to "early" lockdown).

these numbers look fabricated especially when you have two days where deaths are not following the trend.. did people just randomly decide not to die for two days?
Weekend numbers tend to be off because not all the people are working.

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
No one can predict when the deaths will occur is what I'm getting.

You can say "100 people will die here." and then only 50 die and you're like "Yay!", but then a week later you get 150 deaths in the same place.

There are so many variables to the death we're going to have from this thing that you might as well just stop counting unless it's your job to count and assume everyone has it.

Witness

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hartford, CT

Mine was like that for 8 days straight and would randomly flare up and swell even more, fucking awful.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My prediction is the US (along with the rest of the world tbh) will see a VERY slow and gradual return to some normality starting in May.

It will start with things like "these businesses can re-open but must abide by these health guidelines. Parks will be re-opened but no more than 5 people can congregate in groups. Stay 6 feet apart" And then "events of 20 or less can continue. Please be sanitary and careful" and so on.

It will be in 2-3 week intervals to see if a gradual return is possible or if it extends a plateau or shows a spike in cases.

Given this government, some states will extend lockdowns and others will follow the federal guidelines. Most likely it will blow up in their faces and we will be worse off.

Hope I'm wrong tho

Deleted member 14459

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't necessarily disagree with you that Sweden is handling this worse than Norway, but this is actually wrong. The death numbers were not the highest today:

And as can be seen on the this cumulative graph where I've added a "double every third day" and "doubles every sixth day" starting from 7 days ago, Sweden is currently following a "doubles every sixth day" curve:

thanks for the curve, I have been looking at old info, however your first point is not correct - every single country is lagging in death #s, so the "actual" so called corrected daily numbers are still incorrect.

So when Sweden reports "114 new deaths reported since yesterday" that is the highest # of cases reported in a day and that is comparable to what every single country is reporting and how most graphs are done, then to allocate the deaths to correct date is another exercise that can be done in retrospect. Today's numbers allocated to deaths that actually happened today can probably be seen in 5 days etc., only then can we say something about how many died on a particular day. That is why every single country reports on "number of reported deaths in 24hrs", not # of deaths that occurred on that day. It's the same for any country.

Seirith

Oct 25, 2017

It is! I have allergies and I have also developed a cough and slight shortness of breath. I have no fever and I feel fine, so I keep thinking Covid 19 or allergies? It's been going on a few days now and I feel the same.

My mother take a blood pressure mediation which makes her cough. She went into the grocery store to pick up medication and coughed and people gave her a death stare. She can't help that she coughs. She called her doctor and asked for another medication but her Dr. said he really want her to stick with it for now. My husband was on the same medication and had a cough too, his doctor gave him a different medication after a while of it never going away.

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I fucking knew it! I assumed that if someone pushed it, maybe they cut the light by a second or 2 but I figured it was more a placebo effect that made people less impatient because they thought their request meant the light was going to come legitimately faster.

I mean, the one by my old place had a sign that said 'push for audio signal only' (aid for sight impaired) and my friends and everyone I knew pushed that button for YEARS even when I told them not to. I'm guessing the one in this photo is for audio signal. There are tons where you do have to press the button or you're screwed (hello, Los Angeles).

God, it was so hard to nap in the summer with that constant, useless digital whistle sound.

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So MN is expected to push out stay at home order based on their own model which is pushing the peak out a bit. I don't really like that they aren't just showing us the actual model.

Lyrick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So MN is expected to push out stay at home order based on their own model which is pushing the peak out a bit. I don't really like that they aren't just showing us the actual model.

Just like the US as a whole, Minnesota is probably divided into several models. Just like how Minnesota didn't start at the same time as New York or Washington, Lyon County didn't start at the same time as Hennepin County.

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
pulled from over on slickdeals

wipes
Dd3Hpsk.png

and toilet paper
SZERerS.png

are currently in stock at walmart (ordering 1 of each will net you free shippiing)

so hopefully anyone that needs some of either can order some before they sell out again.

Gone my friend. Bright note is I actually got TP and hand sanitizer yesterday at target. Like it was weird. There was a lot of it. Must have just randomly hit the shipment.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Gone my friend. Bright note is I actually got TP and hand sanitizer yesterday at target. Like it was weird. There was a lot of it. Must have just randomly hit the shipment.
:(

I should have posted a bit faster in here. I posted to all my discords first, which took about 5 minutes. All in all I'd say those were up for 10 minutes. I hope someone who needed it got it.

if I see more pop somewhere I will likely post it again as I would rather people get this stuff shipped to their place then head out to get it.

Dec 31, 2017
shit

www.scmp.com

Low antibody levels raise questions about coronavirus reinfection risk

Scientists in Shanghai say some recovered patients show no signs of the neutralising proteins.

interesting that mostly young patients develop low titers. Perhaps the innate immune system is playing a more effective role for them. either way these are very preliminary data. To translate it towards vaccine effectiveness is premature. But this definitely will be studied further.

HammerOfThor

Oct 26, 2017
Hey guys, will any hand soap be okay, or does it need to be antibacterial? I"m running low and finding the antibacterial one is proiving to be pretty difficult.

Typhonsentra

Oct 27, 2017
The way France erratically reports updated figures of cases and deaths after the fact makes it feel impossible to tell whether they are actually succeeding with their lockdowns or not.