Status
Not open for further replies.

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sorry, I'm out of fucking patience. Sounds like they made the right choices and are now the way. Newsflash, not everyone gets there.

Some people make the right choices, some land on their feet, others were born into it (rich family, connections, etc). Yes, it's true not everyone will get there but for your own mental health and well-being, you're better focusing your energy on what you can do to increase a better standard of living for yourself.

Getting salty while reading posts about what others spend money on is not a way to be living.

OP
OP

Deleted member 32374

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Some people make the right choices, some land on their feet, others were born into it (rich family, connections, etc). Yes, it's true not everyone will get there but for your own mental health and well-being, you're better focusing your energy on what you can do to increase a better standard of living for yourself.

Getting salty while reading posts about what others spend money on is not a way to be living.

I struggle to hold on to what I have, such as it is, and take care of myself now while planning for the future and making some shitty trade offs. Meanwhile, 9 collectible bottles of whiski and Razer Blade laptop toys.

If anger is more useful than depression and self hatred, I'm gonna fucking use it. I'll never be the whisky boi or collectable sneakers fucktoy. Never. I will be better than that.

Last edited:

Rackham

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Seeing people better off than me makes me wanna work harder but I also feel kinda depressed sometimes about my own failures. I'm better off in some areas than I was a year ago but still not where I wanna be. I don't even think I'll be in that position till I hit that magical 100k+/year but I may even feel like I'm not where I wanna be then

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just spent $500 on test voucher and study material for security +. Looks at pay grade for jobs with a+ net+ and security +. Pay still shit. I m allowed to be fucking g frustrated.
So you spent the money and THEN looked at what pay that would get you?
Have you considered making a thread to discuss this specific issue? People here can help. They can't help what you're doing in this thread, though. It's pure envy.

OP
OP

Deleted member 32374

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
So you spent the money and THEN looked at what pay that would get you?
Have you considered making a thread to discuss this specific issue? People here can help. They can't help what you're doing in this thread, though. It's pure envy.

No I've done the research, I know its what certain jobs I want look for but I'll forever be behind because I choose a liberal arts degree in college instead of an IT one. Useless drag.

Doubt people can help here. Most people here have a shit ton of money and nearly all of the IT threads are admins/programmers, people who make actual money.

Servbot24

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Depending on my mood it can be either depressing or inspiring. Or sometimes I'm just indifferent. After all who really cares how expensive the room we're in is when we're all just browsing Era anyways.

Deleted member 2834

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No, not really. Obviously, I wish I was wealthier but that doesn't really translate into bitterness vs others, especially because the Era community is all right compared to many others. I'm not much of a jealous person in general I'd say.

Deleted member 46493

Banned
Aug 7, 2018
From someone on the other side - I mostly feel bad so I''m going to stop making comments that are or can be read as bragging.

Ryaaan14

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
Keep in mind these ppl get bored w their material possessions and eventually feel just like u. Everything is relative and no one should feel jealousy over someone's wealth. Just live your best life.

That said I get jealous whenever I see someone w a greyhound or an oriental shorthair cat

Air

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nope. This is why it's important to practice gratefulness btw. What's the point of worrying about what someone else is doing with their life?

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No I've done the research, I know its what certain jobs I want look for but I'll forever be behind because I choose a liberal arts degree in college instead of an IT one. Useless drag.

Doubt people can help here. Most people here have a shit ton of money and nearly all of the IT threads are admins/programmers, people who make actual money.
I'd concentrate on getting rid of that chip on your shoulder, and then make a thread genuinely seeking help rather than shitting on those who can help you solely because they've been successful at it. Your mindset is terrible, regardless of whether it's reasonable or not, given your particular situation. You'll never move ahead thinking like this, man. I want you to succeed.

Ketkat

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

You can absolutely make money with the certifications that you're going for. People aren't going to trust you in admin positions until you can show that you have some experience, but there's no reason that you can't get that experience and then have that same kind of high paying job.

There is no "behind" or "ahead" when it comes to life. Everyone's life goes at their own pace, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with going at yours.

OP
OP

Deleted member 32374

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
You can absolutely make money with the certifications that you're going for. People aren't going to trust you in admin positions until you can show that you have some experience, but there's no reason that you can't get that experience and then have that same kind of high paying job.

There is no "behind" or "ahead" when it comes to life. Everyone's life goes at their own pace, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with going at yours.

I'm not going for admin positions nor do I expect to. I'm talking shit beyond, "this is how you create a link to your desktop" places which ask for all this shit.

Deleted member 33887

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
Just spent $500 on test voucher and study material for security +. Looks at pay grade for jobs with a+ net+ and security +. Pay still shit. I m allowed to be fucking g frustrated.

Even the low end of the pay scale for these sorts of jobs is more than I make, not including benefits. Granted, whether this is a livable salary usually comes down to where you live and how good your benefits are. At any rate, I feel like obsessing about what other people have is unhealthy. It wouldn't surprise me if some of people buying stuff are in the same boat as the majority (wages have been flat for everyone not in the top quarter or third of the population), they're just spending irresponsibly. Doesn't matter, it's not my business. You don't know what they had to do to get to the point where they can acquire an expensive item.

OP
OP

Deleted member 32374

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
I'd concentrate on getting rid of that chip on your shoulder, and then make a thread genuinely seeking help rather than shitting on those who can help you solely because they've been successful at it. Your mindset is terrible, regardless of whether it's reasonable or not, given your particular situation. You'll never move ahead thinking like this, man. I want you to succeed.

Nah I'll keep the chip thanks. If I was 25 I wouldn't have the chip. If I hadn't been dumped by multiple places bc budget cuts happened and I was expendable I wouldn't have a chip on my shoulder.

If its a reasonable mindset, then it isn't terrible.

Deleted member 6263

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not really, because I know it'll get better. My wife and I are focused on paying off student loans so we're living very frugally. It's tough to see our friends buying houses and nice cars, starting families and what not, but I know all of that will come with time.

For me, it's really about being content with the things I have. I'm incredibly blessed compared to other people so that helps keeps things in perspective.

Chrome Hyena

Oct 30, 2017
I get jealous of seeing folks who are working writers and authors. I make a good living but i want to write. To date ive gotten 50 rejection letters and then i pop on here reading about peoples projectsvand stuff. I think for me it may confirm a fear of mine; maybe I just dont got it.

Deleted member 8741

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I've been on both sides of the equation. I worked as a server for years making $22,000 and saving every penny. Now I make significantly more than that and have 5 weeks vacation a year.

Quite frankly, the stuff is whatever. It's nice, but I'm not really any happier and It's always in the back of my head that it could just go disappear due to health, financial markets, etc. I make enough to easily afford a Tesla, but I still drive my 2006 corolla with 180,000 miles on it because - why not? Toys are cool, but unless you're uber wealthy you still get stuck in the rat race. I just want to escape the game completely.

I still just wish I had enough money to not work. At the end of the day I have found the most valuable thing through it all has been my wife and my friends. I'd take half pay at this point if I could work 20 hours and enjoy my time more.

Ketkat

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not going for admin positions nor do I expect to. I'm talking shit beyond, "this is how you create a link to your desktop" places which ask for all this shit.

I'm not really sure what you're getting at here to be honest. Help Desk positions go through a lot more than just the absolutely basics like that, and that's typically where most people start in IT.

Oct 28, 2017
If anything, it just makes me feel kind of stupid.

I feel there's a lot I can learn from people who are well off though. I struggle with holding that amount of focus. My brain is scattered af. That's okay though. I have my own house, a cool dog, decent PC w/ 5.1 surround, a camera, and a guitar. Life could be so much worse.

Turbowolf

Nov 2, 2018
Keep in mind these ppl get bored w their material possessions and eventually feel just like u. Everything is relative and no one should feel jealousy over someone's wealth. Just live your best life.

So true. I'm pretty fortunate when it comes to the gaming side of things (OLED TV, own every console, every game I want, etc.), and I still get bored and feel down like anyone else. These past two weeks have been particularly low. Material possessions really don't mean shit.

OP
OP

Deleted member 32374

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
I'm not really sure what you're getting at here to be honest. Help Desk positions go through a lot more than just the absolutely basics like that, and that's typically where most people start in IT.

I know they do, I've done those jobs. I've started there. I've moved up a bit but not enough.

Fright Zone

Dec 17, 2017
London
Yes and no. I don't get very envious of strangers and what they have because I don't know their situation or what they did or didn't do to get that stuff.

I get very envious of my friends and people I know that are far better off than me though, hits closer to home.

LosDaddie

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Longwood, FL
Jealousy is not exclusive to any one class of people.

That said, most people are going to have to grind for the better things in life. So go out and get yours.

nonuser

Oct 27, 2017

I have a bachelor's and a master's degree in a STEM degree, but I'm considering a complete career change into IT at 30 after working in my studied field for 1.5ish years making pennies.

I'm not sure it will work out, but hey, gonna try. Of course, I wish I majored in CS during undergrad or made different choices in life, but yea, can't regret the past too much or it'll eat you up.

We can (try to) climb together!

MrS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I struggle to hold on to what I have, such as it is, and take care of myself now while planning for the future and making some shitty trade offs. Meanwhile, 9 collectible bottles of whiski and Razer Blade laptop toys.

If anger is more useful than depression and self hatred, I'm gonna fucking use it. I'll never be the whisky boi or collectable sneakers fucktoy. Never. I will be better than that.
Why get angry over other peoples success/purchases? It's really not a good look for you my man. It's bad for you to keep visiting pickup/gaming setup threads when you know the reaction it provokes from you.

SecretCharacter

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Colorado Springs, CO
I don't get jealous over material possessions, I get jealous over experiences. I've never been to a big gaming convention, never gone overseas, barely traveled, and have no meaningful relationship with my family or anyone else really.
Things are just things, but it's people that I'm lacking.

OP
OP

Deleted member 32374

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Why get angry over other peoples success/purchases? It's really not a good look for you my man. It's bad for you to keep visiting pickup/gaming setup threads when you know the reaction it provokes from you.

I had it on ignore for the past five months, just frustrated and needed to direct my anger not at myself. They can take it.

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
OP it sounds like you need help, would you not want to create a different self-help thread or something like "tips to succeed"? You could actually hear things from people who have experienced successes, I'd like to contribute as well.

I'm just not sure if taking this particular course you're on is productive for you

Air

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nah I'll keep the chip thanks. If I was 25 I wouldn't have the chip. If I hadn't been dumped by multiple places bc budget cuts happened and I was expendable I wouldn't have a chip on my shoulder.

If its a reasonable mindset, then it isn't terrible.

It's not reasonable because all you're doing is fuming and not taking action. You can be mad about mistakes you made or the hang you've been felt, but the difference between a lot of the people you're jealous of and yourself is that they did work to get where theyre at (plenty probably didn't but that's whatever).

It's never to late to pick yourself up, but it seems like you're really comfortable in your own misery

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
Cost of living, saving, being able to support someone else and not selling things to afford dental treatments to start.

No, I mean dollar amount.

It's not reasonable because all you're doing is fuming and not taking action. You can be mad about mistakes you made or the hang you've been felt, but the difference between a lot of the people you're jealous of and yourself is that they did work to get where theyre at (plenty probably didn't but that's whatever).

It's never to late to pick yourself up, but it seems like you're really comfortable in your own misery

This. Been in the same position. It sucks. But can't just mope. Trust me. I know. I wasted so much time doing that. It gets you nowhere fast. Fuck that.

OP
OP

Deleted member 32374

Banned
Nov 10, 2017

You skip the part where I'm working for nothing to build up a destroyed resume and spending hundreds on furthering my education on my own? Is that nothing. No it fucking isn't.

Also, btw, it can be too late to pick yourself up really fucking fast.

Deleted member 6263

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
OP it sounds like you need help, would you not want to create a different self-help thread or something like "tips to succeed"? You could actually hear things from people who have experienced successes, I'd like to contribute as well.

I'm just not sure if taking this particular course you're on is productive for you
I like this idea as well. If we could look at your situation completely, it may give way to some actual meaningful advice and support. Right now, all I'm seeing is a lot of frustration (which I'm sure comes from a valid place) and wallowing in self-pity.

Air

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You skip the part where I'm working for nothing to build up a destroyed resume and spending hundreds on furthering my education on my own? Is that nothing. No it fucking isn't.

It seems like you think you're the only one who has to start from nothing. There are people who have started with less and have been able to find success. You're posting on the internet which tells me you have some kind income or living situation. So it doesn't really sound like you're starting from zero. So it'll take some time to build to your success. Once you accept that you can do better. I'm not saying it will be easy or not painful, but you don't want to add more to it with a bad attitude.

I went from making less than $10000 a year living at my parents house in the bronx to making $60000 living in Manhattan. I struggled and tore my hair out but a bad attitude didt't get me to where I am. I'm telling you this as someone who has struggled and is still paying off predatory student loans. Work with what you got and get out of your own way

AliceAmber

Drive-in Mutant
Administrator
May 2, 2018
I get jealous, a lot. I actually stopped following a lot of my friends on social media because I realized I was comparing their picturesque life to mine.

I don't have more money (in fact I have less lol wheee), but I try to focus on my own financial goals and appreciate what I have.

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I like this idea as well. If we could look at your situation completely, it may give way to some actual meaningful advice and support. Right now, all I'm seeing is a lot of frustration (which I'm sure comes from a valid place) and wallowing in self-pity.
See above quote.
Edit: guess he was wrong. Glad to see it.

OP
OP

Deleted member 32374

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
It seems like you think you're the only one who has to start from nothing. There are people who have started with less and have been able to find success. You're posting on the internet which tells me you have some kind income or living situation. So it doesn't really sound like you're starting from zero. So it'll take some time to build to your success. Once you accept that you can do better. I'm not saying it will be easy or not painful, but you don't want to add more to it with a bad attitude.

I went from making less than $10000 a year living at my parents house in the bronx to making $60000 living in Manhattan. I struggled and tore my hair out but a bad attitude didt't get me to where I am. I'm telling you this as someone who has struggled and is still paying off predatory student loans. Work with what you got and get out of your own way

Working for peanuts at job that uses a quarter of my skills for two years is enough time. Example, I'm posting at work. I remember years ago some guy thought I was just got out college when I was in my late 20s, probably the only reason I got the job was because he thought I was younger.

Student loans are nearly half of what I take home each month.

Oct 27, 2017
As someone with a lot of things, it is not all that it is cracked up to be. Trust me. I know it doesn't make sense and people will roll their eyes, but it is true.

I collect books, manga, films, animation, comic books, board games, video games.....all kinds of shit. I spend a lot of my time researching new things constantly, curating my private library. All that time curating my shit is time I am not actively using it.

1. Time - There is never enough time for me to enjoy my things. While some of us have more means, nobody can get more time.

There is a very real phenomena that occurs when someone has a lot of stuff, that prevents that person from enjoying it.

2. Decision paralysis - Ok, so say you have access to essentially every film/book/game. How do you choose what to watch? What to read? What to play? You will never keep up. You will always second-guess your choices of time-sink, always.

I grew up poor, so I know the difference. Being poor sucks, but sometimes I fantasize about having less - if only because I can focus on a single thing and truly appreciate it. I look with envy to those who can truly master a game. Games are incredibly dense sources of entertainment that poor and wealthy can both enjoy. I just have access to more games for which I spend less than the average gamer playing. That makes me more of a gaming tourist than a specialist.

Having means leads to added stress and responsibility. I am approaching the threshold of what I can honestly deal with. Everything comes with a price, means included. Oftentimes I wonder whether it is worth it. I'd almost rather have 1-2 games, and a lot less responsibility.

I have a large house, that the rest of my family refuses to visit, even during Thanksgiving time. They would rather stay at my parents with a much smaller house. My home is literally a funhouse of entertainment. My wife struggles with constant and pervasive depression. On the bad days, her brains tells her that I am her enemy and that she hates me. On the good days, she wakes from the fugue and I get to see the person I chose to marry. I spend a lot of my time and means trying to make her happy. Let me tell you - stuff means nothing, wealth means nothing to this problem. It requires an infinite amount of time and patience.

I have two beautiful and brilliant children. I cannot say anything more about them other than most of the time I feel like a failure to them. I work a lot, to maintain our means, which means I miss a lot in their lives. I stress eat and have little time for exercise, so I am mildly obese, which prevents me from playing with them in a way that would bring them the most joy.

Obtaining means is like like the story of Icarus. If you fly too close to the sun, it will destroy you.

While I have many struggles, I understand everyone has their own set of problems - rich, poor, whatever. I am incredibly thankful for what I have, but I also understand that if I want more there is a logarithmic function that will bring me more problems if I reach for more. Nowadays, I mostly live for others, not myself. The things I buy and curate are for other people to enjoy and for me to enjoy with them - mostly my wife and kids. They will get the junk I leave behind and probably hate me for it eventually.

I wish life were simpler. I don't think I have met anyone who is truly happy - wealth or not. Sometimes I dream about the end of civilization.

Air

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Working for peanuts at job that uses a quarter of my skills for two years is enough time. Example, I'm posting at work. I remember years ago some guy thought I was just got out college when I was in my late 20s, probably the only reason I got the job was because he thought I was younger.

Student loans are nearly half of what I take home each month.

I didn't get employed at my first job in the industry until I was 27. That's six years after I graduated. I worked at Victoria's secret, I worked part time at my college, tried to do freelance and start a business. 2 years is nothing. Why exactly do you think you should have it easier than others? You lack perspective and get it. Struggling to make ends meet and not even working in something you like is terrible, but there are people who fight their whole lives to get even a grain of success. Instead of getting fat off of your anger at the world, I strongly suggest you find a better paradigm for your beliefs. You have every measure of clawing your way to the life that you want, but you either don't want it that bad or don't want to get your hands dirty

Status
Not open for further replies.