Do you use an adblocker?

• Yes

Votes: 973 87.3%
  • No

Votes: 141 12.7%

• Total voters

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
The mobile web especially is unusable without an ad blocker. I had a fandom wiki page SCROLL ITSELF BACK TO THE TOP to show me an auto-playing video ad multiple times. Vertically scrolling articles will routinely had a pinned banner ad at the top that takes up 1/3 of the screen and an equally sized inline ad in the middle.

mobile fandom is literally the worst experience on the internet

just pure pain

FizzMino

Shinra Employee
Sep 15, 2022
Colorado, USA
I should link my local news website, I made the mistake of visiting it on my work laptop and the amount of ads is the worst I've ever seen on any website lol

secretanchitman

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
Wipr.

I'm sure there are more granular options, but Wipr does 99.9% of what I need on both Mac and iPhone with ZERO fuss or hassle. It's automatic. It is completely worth the nominal payment to the developer too.

It's a one time fee of something like $1.99.

Agreed. Wipr is the best and have been using it flawlessly for years now.

nihil

Apr 22, 2023
Question: What do other iPhone Era users use for mobile Safari browsing?
AdGuard app - It can be used phone wide (behind paywall iirc) or just in Safari. Also supports custom filters.
Brave browser - Can be a bit buggy but its serviceable and has a nice playlist feature.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I have to use ad blockers because videos and moving images destroy my ability to concentrate on something. There's no avoiding it these days.

Indurian

Oct 27, 2017
tenor.gif

RubberStamp

Oct 27, 2017
Question: What do other iPhone Era users use for mobile Safari browsing?

I have nextdns setup on my iphone. Its not as great as ublock on android e.g. but it does a good enough job to block most things.

I don't mind ads as long as they're not intrusive. Sadly, most websites don't realize that there is a middle ground between no ads and "let me throw every ad in the world at you".

SP.

Oct 27, 2017
I've been using a pihole for several months now. It blocks just over 10% of all my network requests, which tells you just how many ads are bolted onto everything now.

But with the pihole I don't really see ads anywhere now, and I pay extra to remove them from streaming services. The only time I see an ad is when I'm watching live sports.

Nov 2, 2017
Shibuya
I don't use an ad-blocker and I feel like I'm going a bit nuts reading people saying stuff like how the internet feels impossible to use.

Fandom, though, I'll grant you that one. Fucking terrible sites on mobile. Better solution to an ad-blocker for Fandom is to just stope using it completely. Full of stuff stolen from other places anyhow.

NetMapel

Oct 25, 2017
Crystal. It was one of the very first and a one time payment.

I liked it better than adguard when I tried the latter a little while back but that's very anecdotal.
I'm not sure if Crystal is still maintained? I got it years ago but since then, there has been no updates for 7 years plus it does not show up in my Safari's content blocker selection.

Polioliolio

Nov 6, 2017
I use Opera webbrowser and it has saved me from ads for over a decade now.
I don't even have a good understanding what a normal plain ass internet looks like because I've been living ad free for years.

It's probably nightmarish, being ad free.

Cyberclops

Mar 15, 2019
I don't use an adblocker, but I know my router blocks some pop-ups and I already use YouTube Premium.

The worst ads I get are when I'm visiting dodgy websites anyway, so the simplest solution for me would be to just not use them.

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021
Nah no ad blocker. I don't know if my service provider blocks done or that stuff, but I don't get many ads except via YouTube really. However the places I go to on the internet are very boring and I probably spend more time on Wikipedia than anything.

Elfgore

Mar 2, 2020
Obviously Fandom's empire is the best example of terrible ads, but it's the lack of curation from sites that should care. I've been on IGN for guides the past few weeks and I've been directed to a website that says it's scanning my phone and I need to download something to protect it multiple times. IGN, you legit have ads taking me to malware. What. Are. You. Doing?

At that point, you lose any right to ask me to remove it. It's clear you can't hold whoever you work with for ads accountable to properly vet what they allow in. So yes, yes I do.

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Big reason why I buy android phones is to use Revanced Youtube tbh. Ads are incredibly intrusive nowadays since services like Youtube have had a whole decade of slow enshittification. Im tempted to do the same for the Twitter app. The ads there are getting crazy. Three in a row or some shit.

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017
Been feeling this a lot. I got an iPad not that long ago and still haven't settled on an iOS ad-blocker. It's pretty stark how much more generally unusable the internet feels in comparison to browsing with uBlock on Chrome. Many sites that feel perfectly fine on my laptop straight up feel like they hate me on my iPad.

StarStorm

"This guy are sick"
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I got malware from ads many years ago and it just clutters up the site. I remember my browser being hijack not having an adblocker. Also pop-ups. I never looked back after that.

On mobile, its pretty much mandatory. I'm using uBlock Origin.

Kyuur

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
No ad blocker on any of my home or work devices for a decade plus. I refuse to leech content that relies on ad revenue for support. I pay for ad free services where possible if they annoy me.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I can't remember a time when I didn't use adblock on desktop.

The mobile web especially is unusable without an ad blocker. I had a fandom wiki page SCROLL ITSELF BACK TO THE TOP to show me an auto-playing video ad multiple times. Vertically scrolling articles will routinely had a pinned banner ad at the top that takes up 1/3 of the screen and an equally sized inline ad in the middle.
I know it sucks but if you really gotta use their sites, I highly... HIGHLY recommend registering and making an account there. Gets rid of all of the autoplaying stuff and annoying obtrusive ads including on mobile.

Wack that you gotta do that, but I see it like having to register to Wikipedia to be able to use their native dark mode.
mobile fandom is literally the worst experience on the internet

just pure pain
There's a much easier trick for fandom: type in "antifandom" in the URL and you'll get a clean, ad-free UI.

sonic.fandom.com

Sonic the Hedgehog

Sonic the Hedgehog (ソニック・ザ・ヘッジホッグ, Sonikku za Hejjihoggu?, born June 23[22][23][24]) is the titular main protagonist of the Sonic the Hedgehog series and Sega's mascot. He is an anthropomorphic hedgehog born with the ability to run faster than the speed of sound, hence his name. As his species...

SirFritz

Jan 22, 2018
I opened up gamespot earlier without an ad block and I could feel my browser about to die. My cpu went crazy too.

dejay

Nov 5, 2017
No, I just don't frequent sites that are over 10% ads. I have YT premium, which helps.

hobblygobbly

Oct 25, 2017
NORDFRIESLAND, DEUTSCHLAND
I am really surprised by some people saying ads today aren't intrusive like before or that they don't use any sort of blockers like tracking. It's not true at all that they are less intrusive. They are more intrusive than ever before. The entire ad system is based on spyware and tracking. They know what sites you are coming and going to. What you're doing on the Internet. Everything. Just because reputable sites don't necessary have intrusive UX popup ads of the past doesn't mean the ads still being served to you aren't full of intrusion of your online presence. The ad system is the worst it has ever been in terms of intrusion, tracking etc

Mabase

Oct 29, 2017
I don't think I, as the user, should pay for the traffic and data usage of advertisement.
When you're trying to read a newspaper article that's two pragraphs long and the autoloading video ad uses 50 Mb of my mobile data, then something's wrong.

Nere

Dec 8, 2017
A few months ago I wanted to read a game review from Eurogamer, they require you to disable ads to be able to access their site. So I was like fair enough, this is what happened every time I deactivated the ad blocker and saw the ads, ads were everywhere with many of them being videos. And then sites wonder why we want to block ads and demand us to deactivate our ad-blockers if we want to visit. I will just stop using your website.
DJ66rxt.png

UltimusXI

Oct 27, 2017
Impossible? I survived the 90's / early 00's internet with popup ads everywhere without using an ad blocker.

If a google search leads me to a page with too many ads, I close the page and try another. I don't mind non intrusive ads and am glad to give a web site clicks (and ad revenue) that uses those.

I usually stick to known web sites though.

Trick_GSF

Nov 2, 2017
Advertising and ads totally killed the internet for me.

Not just usability, but the whole culture. The internet was a better place when people put things online, started a website or made a video (etc), because they was passionate about a subject.

Now it's all patreon, smash that like button, subscribe, and ads ads ads. Money ruins everything, as always. I don't begrudge anyone earning a bit of cash online, but it started overtaking everything else. First it was a bit of ad revenue from clicks or views now its just tied up in everything.

/boomer rant over

pyxl_8

Oct 27, 2017
I don't use an Adblocker on principle but I feel like I'm fighting a losing battle.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
It's a simple matter of security hygiene. You cannot trust advertising third parties not to misbehave. Don't use in-app browsers either, ever, or if you do, exit as early as possible to a normal browser. You cannot trust companies using in-app browser implementations not to misbehave.

Dogstar

Oct 29, 2017
Yeah. Ad blocker, pop-up blocker, sponsor blocker. Still see a few, like weird* items on Ebay and Etsy recently, coming up as big banners here and elsewhere.

*girls in skin tight spandex, alonside odd bits of elecronics kit and old photos of film stars.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
I can't remember a time when I didn't use adblock on desktop.

There's a much easier trick for fandom: type in "antifandom" in the URL and you'll get a clean, ad-free UI.

sonic.fandom.com

Sonic the Hedgehog

Sonic the Hedgehog (ソニック・ザ・ヘッジホッグ, Sonikku za Hejjihoggu?, born June 23[22][23][24]) is the titular main protagonist of the Sonic the Hedgehog series and Sega's mascot. He is an anthropomorphic hedgehog born with the ability to run faster than the speed of sound, hence his name. As his species...

holy shit this is amazing

turtle553

Oct 25, 2017
IT has disabled Chrome extensions on our work laptops. It's so much more annoying than when I use my personal one.

AgeEighty

Oct 25, 2017
It's not impossible at all. I don't use one, because I prefer the people who make the content I look at to get paid for it. And the ads are very easy for me to ignore most of the time, and I turn off tracking where I can.

Using an adblocker kind of makes you a freeloader and deprives the site of money for doing what they do.

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
It's not impossible at all. I don't use one, because I prefer the people who make the content I look at to get paid for it. And the ads are very easy for me to ignore most of the time, and I turn off tracking where I can.

Using an adblocker kind of makes you a freeloader and deprives the site of money for doing what they do.

I installed an adblocker on my phone because of a discover ad on this very website that blocked the entire page and required 3 steps to get past it.