• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
When I was like 8 or 9 years old I used to record Nintendo game music from my TV speaker with my Talkboy and listen to it at the park while on a swing. Fight me!

Oct 25, 2017
For reals, there is so much corporate ball-washing going on this thread. People mistake moralistic arguments for legalistic arguments. Just because something is legal or illegal doesn't make it morally correct.
Exactly. God, I really don't understand the mentality at all.

It doesn't bother me because I think it's legal and it turns out it isn't, it bothers me because IP law is archaic and absurd in the first place; and I'm not a fucking lawyer that works for Nintendo.

fhqwhgads

Oct 28, 2017
I do remember a few years back where Gilvasunner got in hot water with Nintendo over uploading the soundtrack to a Kirby remix CD that was released at the Kirby Cafes. It was a case where Nintendo could potentially lose money over it, but the CD in question was a limited edition thing that was only avaliable to purchase at Kirby Cafes, which was a Japan only promotional deal.

RavFiveFour

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
Probably will have to pay for these soundtracks, I would download the ones you like now before they're all gone from YouTube.

Wulfric

Oct 25, 2017
For reals, there is so much corporate ball-washing going on this thread. People mistake moralistic arguments for legalistic arguments. Just because something is legal or illegal doesn't make it morally correct.

Honestly, if this thread was about the takedown of abandonware, it would have been closed pages ago.

Radeo

Banned
Apr 26, 2019
Everytime I see these threads, I'm reminded of how much I hate the word "entitlement"

Umbrella Carp

Banned
Jan 16, 2019
Just yet more evidence of how far behind the curve Nintendo are on nearly everything. They need to ditch this "toy company" mentality very badly.

Andri

Mar 20, 2018
Switzerland
Yeah, you could also just go to a concert whenever you want to listen to music.

Surely you realize how silly you sound?

I know you people want to ignore all reality to get your point across, and anyone disagreeing with you is just a corporate idiot shill anyway.

But fact is there are legal ways to listen to these songs.
If it were about games that cant be bought legally i could see the argument, but that is clearly not what this thread is about.

Anyway, gonna put yall on ignore, i have limited time and dont want to waste anymore on people that cant be reasoned with.

-PXG-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
My heart skipped a few beats when I read the thread title.

This is actually depressing. Fuck off with this shit. How about making your music available for people to enjoy, you assholes. Jesus Christ.

Broken Hope

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's funny how people seem to handwave it away when it comes to music, but not the games themselves. Just something I noticed here over several threads of this variety.
Read pretty much any thread on here regarding emulation, there's plenty of people asking about obscure games that only came out in Japan or Europe, or people asking what games they should play.

It's definitely not just people playing rips of their own games.

When it comes to old games or video game music then for lots on here apparently piracy is okay.

The option of not playing something or listening to something if they can't buy it or get it cheap apparently doesn't exist, they feel entitled to it.

Exede

Banned
Feb 8, 2019
Nintendo is protecting the value of the collectors edition and they have all the rights to do so.
Just wait a few more months and we will see the ost on YT/Spotify etc.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
Lots of piracy encouragement, even admittance, ITT. What the hell.
Publishers have every tool in their disposal to automatically monetize Youtube music uploads, their own and fans'. If Nintendo hasn't done that, it's their own failing, not the fans'.

And I think game music can be a bit on the grey side of things since people have often bought the games they want to listen to music from so, in a way, they have paid for the work that composers have done and not pirating something without any contribution towards the composers & musicians' work. Plus a lot of game OSTs aren't available for purchase (especially Nintendo's, they are notoriously bad with game OST releases, either they don't release them at all or they were available at limited quantities for a limited time through one region's Nintendo Club thing, so basically not available for 90+% of humankind), so Youtube & such can be the only way to listen to those songs.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Lol at people saying to by the Three
Houses special edition (it's a select music CD, so it's not the whole OST) in order to listed to the OST of the game.

If the soundtracks were available wildly for purchase or streaming, people wouldn't have a problem with this. The problem is that most Nintendo games don't do this. They either release the OST in physical form only a year after the initial release (XB2) , or never at all.

I remember when Pokémon Sun and Moon's OST were released on iTunes. It was a Christmas miracle. Bought that up immediately. Still don't think the Ultra Sun and Moon ost is available though.

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
Just live as we used to and download techno remixes of your favourite VG music from OC Remix.

LunaSerena

Oct 25, 2017
Read pretty much any thread on here regarding emulation, there's plenty of people asking about obscure games that only came out in Japan or Europe, or people asking what games they should play.

When it comes to old games or video game music then for lots on here apparently piracy is okay.

The option of not playing something or listening to something if they can't buy it or get it cheap apparently doesn't exist, they feel entitled to it.
Yeah. It seems that for most people if you can stream it - cheaply - it doesn't count and they're entitled to pirating.

Lol at people saying to by the Three
Houses special edition (it's a select music CD, so it's not the whole OST) in order to listed to the OST of the game.

If the soundtracks were available wildly for purchase or streaming, people wouldn't have a problem with this. The problem is that most Nintendo games don't do this. They either release the OST in physical form only a year after the initial release (XB2) , or never at all.

I remember when Pokémon Sun and Moon's OST were released on iTunes. It was a Christmas miracle. Bought that up immediately. Still don't think the Ultra Sun and Moon ost is available though.
We haven't had news of an official release for Three Houses OST because the game has story DLC on its way, which probably includes new music. If they released the OST now, ignoring the DLC, people would still complain.

As for XB2, it's the worst example you could have used, because the OST is available to buy on digital format since the moment it was published! You can buy it on Amazon, iTunes, Google.... or those, somehow, don't count to you?

I really hope those that complain about XC2's soundtrack put their money where their mouth is and buy it, considering it's available worldwide.

Last edited:

D.Lo

Oct 25, 2017
Sydney

Yep. The idea of 'I can't have this' doesn't seem to be an option for 'bbbbut preservation' types. If they can't have something (on a platform of their choice at a price they decide plus whatever other conditions they decide) it's 'unfair' and therefore stealing is fine to 'fix this injustice'.

Tochtli79

Jun 27, 2019
Mexico City
Seriously backwards company sometimes. People need to pester them with the subject until they're forced to give a solution. They want complete control over the way the fans get to enjoy their products, whether it's banning music on YouTube or releasing the bare minimum legacy content, while not providing any alternatives, which is totally their right of course but totally nuts.

Barrel Cannon

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yep. The idea of 'I can't have this' doesn't seem to be an option for 'bbbbut preservation' types. If they can't have something (on a platform of their choice at a price they decide plus whatever other conditions they decide) it's 'unfair' and therefore stealing is fine to 'fix this injustice'.
D.Lo dropping those facts.

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
If it isn't available legally anywhere and people want to experience it, what can they do other than listening to rips?

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
If it isn't available legally anywhere and people want to experience it, what can they do other than listening to rips?
Don't you see, if our corporate overloards do not get to maximize their profits, you're an entitled little prick if you think you might want to listen to some track you liked from a game you paid for.

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Good thing about threads like this is it attracts these people so it is easier to put them on ignore. Lot of overlap of these same users in other threads who cape for bullshit and pull this perpetual corporate apologism.

Quantza

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I listen to game music on youtube all the time.

But I'm also not going to get mad at a company that forces the music to be removed. They aren't obligated to allow their soundtracks to exist on youtube for you to listen to for free, and you aren't owed those soundtracks either. Entitled whining is thrown around because that's literally what this is, entitled whining by people under the false impression that they are owed something that they are not owed at all.

Do I deserve inefficient capitalism?
Next time, state your philosophical and moral viewpoint before accepting legality as the "be all, end all".
Remember, new laws actually get created.

You can buy the OST legally on CD and stream it to yourself.

That is a cool story, one that is unlikely to be possible even for the people posting in this thread.

Last edited:

jariw

Oct 27, 2017
Good thing about threads like this is it attracts these people so it is easier to put them on ignore. Lot of overlap of these same users in other threads who cape for bullshit and pull this perpetual corporate apologism.

The people on "the other side" of an argument might very well feel and reason the same way regarding putting people on ignore. Yet another human-made filter bubble is created and everybody wins! /s

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
This is totally fucking futile. The only thing Nintendo accomplishes by doing this is pissing people off. The worst are the corporate apologists that defend Nintendo's every move.

Last edited:

viskod

Nov 9, 2017
Next time, state your philosophical and moral viewpoint before accepting legality as the "be all, end all".

That is a cool story, one that is unlikely to be possible even for the people posting in this thread.

insufficient capitalism? lol.

It's fine being annoyed with Nintendo for not releasing more of their soundtracks, because a lot of their soundtracks are really awesome.
It's stupid, for being annoyed with Nintendo for taking their music off of youtube.

Again, you are not owed this music, and you are not owed the release of a soundtrack.

insufficient capitalism. goddamn. I'm going to be chuckling over that all morning, thank you.

D.Lo

Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
Then lobby for new laws that allow copyrighted material to be free if it's not available for sale.

In the meantime, while you're working as a lobbyist for the people who previously made money from uploading stolen works, don't pirate. Play or listen to something else. You not having easy access to some game or music and not being able to play them until youn pay for them is not some great tragedy of 'inefficient capitalism'.

Barrel Cannon

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Don't you see, if our corporate overloards do not get to maximize their profits, you're an entitled little prick if you think you might want to listen to some track you liked from a game you paid for.
LMAO oh boohooooo.

I love how when people like you are called out for being entitled the only way you know how to deal with it is by pointing fingers and accusing others of just being corporate-capitalist-butt-kissers. Nah, you don't get away that easy. It's not like we don't want it free and easily available on a platform we all use(youtube). We just know we aren't entitled to it. Instead of complaining about how you can't pirate why not redirect that misaligned anger/whining and project it in a positive way by complaining to Nintendo and requesting a legal method of listening to your favorite tracks.

Broken Hope

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'd really love to experience driving a Ferrari but I can't afford one or get one legally through other means, so I go without.

Why isn't going without ever an option?

it's always companies must provide everything you want or it's okay to pirate it.

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
I'd really love to experience driving a Ferrari but I can't afford one or get one legally through other means, so I go without.

Why isn't going without ever an option?

it's always companies must provide everything you want or it's okay to pirate it.

Amazing logic. Living up to your name.

D.Lo

Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
They listen to it via an in-game sound test many games have. Or rip their own copy and extract the audio files (relatively easy for disc based consoles, cart consoles usually need ripping hardware). If the game is available, you can listen to the music.

Or they just don't listen to it. You can go without if the legal options are too much of a hassle for you.

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
How is your logic any better?

Nintendo don't make it available to buy so that means it's perfectly okay to pirate it because you want to listen to it?

The only reason some OSTs (especially from obscure games) still live on and are known is because of rips. Don't blame the fans for wanting to enjoy what they love if the companies can't provide. This is especially true for OSTs that are OOP. I've imported OSTs from Japan that I can't buy elsewhere for a game I love. They will show support if they want it. But completely erasing channels that provide them is the wrong way to go.

They listen to it via an in-game sound test many games have. Or rip their own copy and extract the audio files (relatively easy for disc based consoles, cart consoles usually need ripping hardware). If the game is available, you can listen to the music.

Or they just don't listen to it. You can go without if the legal options are too much of a hassle for you.

I do this all the time. But I wish Nintendo would offer OSTs more readily.

Quantza

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Then lobby for new laws that allow copyrighted material to be free if it's not available for sale.

In the meantime, while you're working as a lobbyist for the people who previously made money from uploading stolen works, don't pirate. Play or listen to something else. You not having easy access to some game or music and not being able to play them until youn pay for them is not some great tragedy of 'inefficient capitalism'.

An essay coming right up...

There are multiple video game developers, each with different genres of music.
Each collection/album of music has differences allowing them to be sold as unique in an open market.
No reason not to try it first: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monopolistic_competition

This is a case of market failure (i.e. a mis-allocation of resources due to market processes), however important or not the product is:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Market_failure

"Market failures can be viewed as scenarios where individuals' pursuit of pure self-interest leads to results that are not efficient– that can be improved upon from the societal point of view."

And btw, I own many Nintendo soundtracks on disc, such as: Super mario galaxy, 3D world, Mario kart 8 etc.
These specific soundtracks weren't even sold, but were only obtainable via Club Nintendo.
Some soundtracks for sale are only available in Japan, not worldwide. Some are limited sales only.
In these cases, capitalism can't even try to allocate them, let alone more obscure music.

Thing is, I don't even like capitalism much, but giving people a choice in this case, when music provision is easier than ever, seems right to me.
It provides free advertising too.

This is unlikely to happen as intellectual property would then become very hard to defend, probably too much work for the IP holder. A company would have to ensure that they monetise everything, in order to close off any gaps. Sources of content would be restricted even more than now. Derivative products would have to be shown to created only from an un-monetised IP, via some impossible sounding tracking mechanism.

Another (also really difficult) approach: a public request submission system could be setup, where cases of product/service provision could be judged as practical for the copyright holder, with anonymised evidence given. The government could assist with case building, if the company agrees. But even if it is 'practical', the company may not want to go ahead with providing said product/service. At least it would manage PR lol.

who previously made money from uploading stolen works

This is completely Youtube's fault (well, Google/Alphabet now). They could default to not allow monetisation before a video's content is checked, but that would remove all of the service's convenience, and would be really hard to perform in practise without a lot of false positives appearing. Youtube never would have grown to its current scale with a system like this in place.

Barrel Cannon

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
We do need to fight to have this music available to us in some shape and form, not everyone has the luxury of being able to get Club Nintendo CDs or region exclusive soundtracks. I own a couple Nintendo CDs as well and I've always found it absurd at how backwards Nintendo has been in terms of making easily available content available for streaming or purchase.