• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I still find the N64 to be i huge disappointment. Coming off from the Super Nintendo (Arguably the best system ever made) The N64 failed to live up as a successor in pretty much every way. I mean if it still had it's original name Nintendo "Ultra" 64, it would seem even more obvious. The first party games weren't as strong, The controller was revolutionary but sadly not good (Bad build quality, terrible layout) The video quality was terrible. 50hz PAL games in Europe went from being an annoyance during the Super Nintendo era to being downright unplayable thanks to the already crap framerates that most N64 games suffer from. Also thanks Nintendo for making the PAL N64 capable of composite video only. Seriously it's practically required to import NTSC system and the games, to get any enjoyment from this system.

Cartridges did their best to hinder the potential of the system which was undoubtedly more powerful than the competition and the cost of the bridges this decision burned with many third party developers for this system and the future ones to follow was a ginormous fuck up on Nintendo's part. (Probably the biggest one ever) Nintendo consoles went from being the place you go to play first and third party games to being a place were you wait several months for first party games to release and hope that they don't disappoint and some of them really did like Mario Kart 64, Majora's Mask, Smash Bros, Kirby 64, Yoshi's Story.

I guess i wouldn't mind this much as i do if Mario 64 did not blow me completely out of the water when it came out. It seemed like the system was going to live up to the hype but nah, it jumped the shark immediately after i finished Mario 64. Nothing else on the system came even close. OOT was great but not nearly as good as a Link to the Past or Link's awakening for that matter. I love Paper Mario but that is mostly for the ground work it layed out for it's sequel. comparing it to Mario RPG it was undoubtedly worse. Oh and man the lack of a Metroid game was just....disappointing, to say the least.

You can't talk about this system without mentioning Rare and i guess they did help somewhat to mitigate the long software droughts but i just wish most of their games were better. It really seems like this studio was more about quantity than quality. We got one B tier Mario 64 clone (Kazooie) and two other slogs that wish they were even half as good as Kazooie was. (Tooie, DK64) Conker was a a unique and charming game but it's so mechanically simple that i got bored of it about half way through. Jet Force Gemini was terrible and the best i can say about Diddy Kong Racing is that it's at-least not Mario Kart 64.

Goldeneye was great but it's a bit tragic that a more complete and fully fleshed out "GoldenEye" was released on the N64 and only sold a fraction of what Goldeneye did. Perfect Dark did everything GoldenEye did except in a much better and more fleshed out way but sadly nobody remembers it because it came out so late into the systems life-cycle that i question why it was not just made for the ground up for Next Gen Consoles instead. Still It's Rares most ambitious game but the fact that it was GoldenEye that influenced future FPS games on consoles and not Perfect Dark is a sad thing for all of us.

Despite having some highlights i can't help but still think of this system as a Mario 64 machine. I don't think that's a good thing in the slightest. With pretty much every other Nintendo console (Except Wii U) i always think of several games at once when the name is of it is mentioned but with the N64 it's just Mario 64 and nothing else and i just find that kind of depressing. It had so much potential and had Nintendo done everything right with this system i have no doubt in my mind that future Nintendo consoles from this point onward would have been better and more successful financially as well but because they did not i can't help but feel immense disappointment when thinking about the N64.

Edit: How do i move the thread to the gaming section? Accidental mistake on my part, sorry about that.

Last edited:

MCN

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
No, the Virtual Boy was. The N64 had some of the best games ever made at the time (and for many years after), and the games are what counts. How can you not also think of Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask when thinking of the N64?

And Rare games absolutely count, as they were owned by Nintendo at the time. If you're going to discount Rare games, you might as well discount Naughty Dog games from the PS3 and PS4, and call those consoles shit as well.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
50hz PAL games in Europe went from being an annoyance during the Super Nintendo era to being downright unplayable thanks to the already crap framerates that most N64 games suffer from. Also thanks Nintendo fro making the PAL N64 capable of composite video. Seriously it's practically required to import NTSC system and the games, to get any enjoyment from this system.
giphy.gif

Not sure how it was impossible to get any enjoyment from the PAL system or it being unplayable when I managed to love the system through being a kid.

Far from a Mario 64 system either, I'd take OoT and MM over it at the very least. Can't even think of the console and my time with it without mentioning Rogue Squadron, Banjo Kazooie, Perfect Dark (as mentioned), Goldeneye, DK64, Super Smash Bros, F-Zero X, Diddy Kong Racing, Mario Kart, Pokemon Snap and no doubt many others that aren't those that have come right to the front of my mind.

DonMigs85

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I had a lot of fun with the system, and if you didn't care too much about fighters and JRPGs I think it's held up better than the PS1. So much fun with Mario 64, Wave Race 64, 1080 Snowboarding, Diddy Kong Racing, Perfect Dark, Rogue Squadron, Turok 2, the list goes on. Heck even Rocket Robot on Wheels and Space Station Silicon Valley (early Sucker Punch and Rockstar games)

Doctor_Thomas

Oct 27, 2017
The N64 had some great games, but I think it was just overshadowed by how much better the PS1 was. It was definitely the last time, for me, that Nintendo consoles were a must have - even if I love the GC more.

Zeshile

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Dec 22, 2017
Kansas
At least the n64 was still breaking new ground.

The gamecube did nothing new or exciting. No DVDs, the first party titles weren't as good, and they no longer had Rare to come in and try to fill some of the time between games. I love the gamecube too, but it's just a disaster.

Also, Banjo Kazooie was better than Mario 64. I don't know where this B tier stuff is coming from.

OP
OP

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
At least the n64 was still breaking new ground.

The gamecube did nothing new or exciting. No DVDs, the first party titles weren't as good, and they no longer had Rare to come in and try to fill some of the time between games. I love the gamecube too, but it's just a disaster.

Also, Banjo Kazooie was better than Mario 64. I don't know where this B tier stuff is coming from.

The game looked much better but between Kazooie and Mario 64 there is almost no question which game plays better.

Joei

Feb 3, 2018
The N64 was the Nintendo system I played the least. The only game I ever beat was Zelda, and if not from playing Goldeneye a ton at a friends house, I would have barely touched the system.

And while Wii U didn't get the sales numbers, I thought it was still a great system and blows the N64 away in terms of software.

Funkallero

Oct 28, 2017
Tokyo
The highs were very good, top five gaming tier but the whole library, the strange controller, the cartridges make this an awkward system. But it has lots of charm.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
No it was the gamecube. N64's library gets so much more shit than the GCNs and I have no idea why. On top of the classics in GE, PD, Mario64, Banjo, Conker, Starfox, SF Rush, Fzero, Diddy Kong Racing, Ocarina, MM, Pokemon Stadium, Waverace, KI Gold, 1080 Snowboarding, Starwars RS, SB Kids, Turok, Smash Bros, Bomberman, the Mario Party Games, Beetle Adventure Racing, S&P theres also the often forgotten entire lineup of super fucking fun AKI wrestling titles starting with WCW vs NWO world tour all the way through No Mercy. Paper Mario and Blast Corps and guilty pleasures like Mace the Dark age and a bunch of others like Mario Golf I think and even a Tennis game too right and Ogre Battle?

I mean, it crushes the Gamecubes library without even trying. Its not even close.

OP
OP

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I guess i meant home consoles and not handhelds. Let's be honest the Virtual Boy is a joke and hardly worth discussing.

camu

Oct 29, 2017
I think a lot of people have a different opinion on OOT, Kazooie, Tooie, DK64, Conker, JFG, Dk racing than you OP.

Just because OOT isn't Link to the past doesn't make it great still. I got no clue how you can find Conker mechanically simple when almost every chapter introduced some new way to play, JFG's music is absolutely God tier, loved the stages, its weapons, controls were unique, playing different characters was cool. PD was just a better and cooler Goldeneye, and it's sales and release timing don't have much to do with how good the game is if you ask me.

It looks like you just didnt enjoy the Rare games while most people (afaik) consider them the best part of the N64.

I also think its tricky to really call it Snes' successor considering it went from 2D to 3D, it made the type of games on the consoles completely different.

I'm curious what console you would put as third worse after WiiU and N64 and why it's better than N64?

elektrixx

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The N64 still had games from Rare, so I think it beats the Wii and GameCube. I think the Wii U also beats the Wii and GameCube.

I'm gonna say the Wii was the worst.

siddx

Banned
Dec 25, 2017
It had some great games, arguably virtual boy and Wii u were worse. But the n64 feels worse because it came on the heels of the greatest video console in history with such an incredible catalog of games it was staggering.

OP
OP

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No it was the gamecube. N64's library gets so much more shit than the GCNs and I have no idea why. On top of the classics in GE, PD, Mario64, Banjo, Conker, Starfox, SF Rush, Fzero, Diddy Kong Racing, Ocarina, MM, Pokemon Stadium, Waverace, KI Gold, 1080 Snowboarding, Starwars RS, SB Kids, Turok, Smash Bros, Bomberman, the Mario Party Games, Beetle Adventure Racing, S&P theres also the often forgotten entire lineup of super fucking fun AKI wrestling titles starting with WCW vs NWO world tour all the way through No Mercy. Paper Mario and Blast Corps and guilty pleasures like Mace the Dark age and a bunch of others like Mario Golf I think and even a Tennis game too right and Ogre Battle?

I mean, it crushes the Gamecubes library without even trying. Its not even close.

I already stated in the OP about how i feel about most Rare games so i won't repeat it here but plenty of the games you listed were far surpassed by their GameCube successors. Regardless of how you might feel about the Wind Waker and Sunshine. I will stand by the fact that all three Zelda games that were released on the Cube were better than Majora by a significant margin. The only mainline Zelda game Majoras Mask beats is Skyward Sword. Sunshine was sadly rushed but how mechanically sound that games was made it the best 3D platformer since Mario 64 for me. Melee and GX make Smash 64 and F Zero X look and feel obsolete. The GameCube Mario Parties were exactly the same as the N64 ones you either loved them or you didn't. There is no gulf in quality there other than nostalgia i suppose. DD was nowhere near as good as something like Crash team Racing or to be more fair any Mario Kart that came out after but it was miles better than Mario Kart 64. Luigi's Mansion TTYD, Pikmin 1 & 2, Eternal Darkness and two amazing Metroid games put the GameCubes library for me higher than what the N64 offered. It helped that the GameCube did not have a controller that i despised using. Still i don't think even the GameCube was as good as the Super Nintendo but it was a step in the right direction.

I think a lot of people have a different opinion on OOT, Kazooie, Tooie, DK64, Conker, JFG, Dk racing than you OP.

Just because OOT isn't Link to the past doesn't make it great still. I got no clue how you can find Conker mechanically simple when almost every chapter introduced some new way to play, JFG's music is absolutely God tier, loved the stages, its weapons, controls were unique, playing different characters was cool. PD was just a better and cooler Goldeneye, and it's sales and release timing don't have much to do with how good the game is if you ask me.

It looks like you just didnt enjoy the Rare games while most people (afaik) consider them the best part of the N64.

I also think its tricky to really call it Snes' successor considering it went from 2D to 3D, it made the type of games on the consoles completely different.

I'm curious what console you would put as third worse after WiiU and N64 and why it's better than N64?

If i were to rank the systems on enjoyment level and not count the Switch since it has not yet gotten a fair shake.

SNES
NES (Didn't own this one but since iv'e played most of it's games on other systems it's hard to deny the impact this thing had)
GameCube
Wii
N64
Wii U

Also i can't exactly not call it a SNES successor. It was the next big thing coming out from Nintendo following the SNES.

I did enjoy some Rare games and disliked others. To sum up my thoughts on Rare, both pre and post Microsoft buyout is that they are both a hit and a miss developer for me. They do however make games that are consistently gorgeous.

Last edited:

Deleted member 283

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No way. The N64 has far too many greats:
Ocarina of Time
Majora's Mask
Super Mario 64
Diddy Kong Racing
Mario Party 1, 2, and 3
Pokémon Stadium 1 & 2
Star Fox 64
Banjo Kazooie
Mario Kart 64
Kirby 64

And just so much other good stuff.

Like, if I had to do this, other than the Virtual Boy, the NES would probably be the worst just due to its limitations and the vast majority of the games, with only few exceptions like SMB2 USA and SMB3 have any appeal to me at all. It's not until the SNES that gsnes that really sysrt matching my tastes appear with any real frequency.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
N64 has some of the best Nintendo games (Majora's Mask, F-Zero X, Sin & Punishment etc.) but otherwise it was pretty doodoo so yeah. I'd even rank the Wii U above it.

LastCupOfBullets

Alt account
Banned
Aug 7, 2018
I still find the N64 to be i huge disappointment. Coming off from the Super Nintendo (Arguably the best system ever made) The N64 failed to live up as a successor in pretty much every way. I mean if it still had it's original name Nintendo "Ultra" 64, it would seem even more obvious. The first party games weren't as strong, The controller was revolutionary but sadly not good (Bad build quality, terrible layout) The video quality was terrible. 50hz PAL games in Europe went from being an annoyance during the Super Nintendo era to being downright unplayable thanks to the already crap framerates that most N64 games suffer from. Also thanks Nintendo for making the PAL N64 capable of composite video only. Seriously it's practically required to import NTSC system and the games, to get any enjoyment from this system.

Cartridges did their best to hinder the potential of the system which was undoubtedly more powerful than the competition and the cost of the bridges this decision burned with many third party developers for this system and the future ones to follow was a ginormous fuck up on Nintendo's part. (Probably the biggest one ever) Nintendo consoles went from being the place you go to play first and third party games to being a place were you wait several months for first party games to release and hope that they don't disappoint and some of them really did like Mario Kart 64, Majora's Mask, Smash Bros, Kirby 64, Yoshi's Story.

I guess i wouldn't mind this much as i do if Mario 64 did not blow me completely out of the water when it came out. It seemed like the system was going to live up to the hype but nah, it jumped the shark immediately after i finished Mario 64. Nothing else on the system came even close. OOT was great but not nearly as good as a Link to the Past or Link's awakening for that matter. I love Paper Mario but that is mostly for the ground work it layed out for it's sequel. comparing it to Mario RPG it was undoubtedly worse. Oh and man the lack of a Metroid game was just....disappointing, to say the least.

You can't talk about this system without mentioning Rare and i guess they did help somewhat to mitigate the long software droughts but i just wish most of their games were better. It really seems like this studio was more about quantity than quality. We got one B tier Mario 64 clone (Kazooie) and two other slogs that wish they were even half as good as Kazooie was. (Tooie, DK64) Conker was a a unique and charming game but it's so mechanically simple that i got bored of it about half way through. Jet Force Gemini was terrible and the best i can say about Diddy Kong Racing is that it's at-least not Mario Kart 64.

Goldeneye was great but it's a bit tragic that a more complete and fully fleshed out "GoldenEye" was released on the N64 and only sold a fraction of what Goldeneye did. Perfect Dark did everything GoldenEye did except in a much better and more fleshed out way but sadly nobody remembers it because it came out so late into the systems life-cycle that i question why it was not just made for the ground up for Next Gen Consoles instead. Still It's Rares most ambitious game but the fact that it was GoldenEye that influenced future FPS games on consoles and not Perfect Dark is a sad thing for all of us.

Despite having some highlights i can't help but still think of this system as a Mario 64 machine. I don't think that's a good thing in the slightest. With pretty much every other Nintendo console (Except Wii U) i always think of several games at once when the name is of it is mentioned but with the N64 it's just Mario 64 and nothing else and i just find that kind of depressing. It had so much potential and had Nintendo done everything right with this system i have no doubt in my mind that future Nintendo consoles from this point onward would have been better and more successful financially as well but because they did not i can't help but feel immense disappointment when thinking about the N64.

Edit: How do i move the thread to the gaming section? Accidental mistake on my part, sorry about that.

I have never met anyone alive who was a child when the N64 came out that has this opinion. In fact, we were all absolutely blown away, children and adults, by the huge upgrades of leaps and bounds.

The Wii U also arguably has some of the best games that I have ever played. Not sure how it is the worst either.

Last edited:

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I just played through Pokemon Snap over the last couple of days so that brings my N64 Games I Like list to a grand total of... 6.

Super Mario 64, Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, Banjo-Kazooie, Conker's and Pokemon Snap for clarity. And heck most of those I didn't even play the N64 versions of!

I just sorta wish I'd have been around for its release because they're some damn good games- but have lost some effect in the decades since.

Still need to get around to Banjo-Tooie, Star Fox 64 and Paper Mario in particular.

I'd still rank it above the NES personally- the only NES games I've enjoyed are Mega Man games, SMB3 and Zelda so yeah.

Oct 27, 2017
The Wii U was better than the N64 and Gamecube in terms of Exclusives.

But overall, N64 is definitely the worst Nintendo console. I legit can count all the games I truly love on it on two hands.

Ocarina of Time
Perfect Dark
Mario 64
Jet Force Gemini
Goldeneye
Diddy Kong Racing
Pilotwings 64

Ohhhh, I think that's about it. Holy hell was the overall quality of its library terrible. And the analog stick being the cheapest piece of shit in history made the longevity of even playing my favorite games on the system non existent

mindsale

Oct 29, 2017
The Wii was. Across its six year primary span (I mean, they just released a Just Dance for the platform), there are like 3 decent games. The Galaxies, Xenoblade. Had the worst Zelda, the worst Smash, the worst Mario Kart, the worst Metroid, the worst 2D Mario, and the worst VanillaWare game. The Wii U has a higher aggregate of 90+ titles.

Last edited:

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
But overall, N64 is definitely the worst Nintendo console. I legit can count all the games I truly love on it on two hands.
Now I'm interested to see your 10+ 'truly loved' list for the NES and Wii. Not that I doubt you can, it's just I don't have that many and am interested. For me on that scale they both fall far below the N64.

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The N64 is a brilliant with some regrettable hardware decisions that caused framerate problems in many titles. Until the Dreamcast came along, it was the closest consoles had gotten to PC-like gaming experiences. Remember playing Rainbow 6 on the N64? Was it as good as the PC version. No. Was it as good as the Dreamcast version? No. But it was light years ahead of the PS1 version. Its library is absolutely incredible with so many highly ambitious and experimental experiences. It managed to have one of the best Doom games (Doom 64) and one of the best Duke Nukem games. (Zero Hour). Plus it had the Turok series and a version of Shadow Man that wasn't terrible like the PS1 version. Also it was the lead platform for Rayman 2, apparently, and that game is a timeless masterpiece.

I feel like not enough people have played Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine on N64. Possibly on account of the whole "only 10,000 copies were made" thing. It's an outstanding game, bugs aside. This is actually a recurring problem with the N64. It's strikingly common for people who talk about the N64's library to have very little clue about the N64's library.

Also, when people talk about "best system" their opinion on typically based on whether it had genres they liked. For example, someone who likes JRPGs will probably think the PS2 had a better library than the Xbox despite the PS2's lack of PC-esque RPGs like Morrowind and KOTOR. It's really impossible to be "objective" about this stuff. And then people start arguing about whether these console libraries should only consist of exclusives. If so, do console exclusives that were also on PC count?

Medalion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
N64 still has a lot of memories for me, so no... I would say Wii and Wii-U and Virtual Boy

Pirateluigi

Oct 27, 2017
I really don't like to call any system "the worst " because there are just so many games on every platform that ive loved throughout the years. Like even the Wii U had such amazing highs and some of the best games ever made.

For N64, the highs for me outweigh the lows. Yes, the quantity of games is awful and the genre mix is even worse, but there are so many games I still go back to play to this day.
Mario 64
Mario Kart 64
Paper Mario
OoT
Majoras Mask
Beetle Adventure Racing
Pokemon Puzzle League
Pokemon Snap
Star Fox 64
Kirby Crystal Shards
Banjo Kazooie
Banjo Tooie
Conkers Bad Fur Day
Diddy Kong Racing
Snowboard Kids
Waverace
1080 Snowboarding
Mario Party 2

TooFriendly

Oct 30, 2017
There were certainly less games than the ps1, but it's amazing how out of that small pool of games we got some of the best games ever. Imo the best games on the n64 eclipse the best on the ps1 and Saturn. If I had to choose a console to keep from that generation it would be the n64.

But then again I also think that the wiiU had amazing games too, and was even more ignored.

Ghost250

Mar 19, 2018
no that was the wii. the wii was trash and no i don't care that it had mario galaxy, it was still trash.

Mugy

Oct 28, 2017
Remember when people were saying that Retro Studios was the new Rare.ltd? Yeah...

For me, the worst Nintendo console, personally, as it is right now, is N64. Outside of Smash Bros, F-zero, Mario 64, and maybe Goldeneye, i can't bring myself to play msot of the games of the system. If i want to try, say RE2, i play the GCN version. If i want to try Zelda, i'd rather put the Master Quest collection on GCN, if i want to try a Mario Kart, i go with Double Dash or MK Wii by default, and so on. Rare was amazing that's for sure, but from their catalogue, i like mostly Conker. I wasn't much of a collec-a-thon guy.

aisback

Oct 27, 2017
N64 is definitely the worst.

Being it was hard to develop for and it was the experimental 3D era the games dont hold up.

But we do have some of the finest games ever from that era

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Wii U is leagues better than the N64. I like a lot of the games there on N64 but they age so poorly and the hardware is Nintendo's worst by far

Oct 27, 2017
Now I'm interested to see your 10+ 'truly loved' list for the NES and Wii. Not that I doubt you can, it's just I don't have that many and am interested. For me on that scale they both fall far below the N64.

NES:

Mario 2
Mario 3
Zelda
Mega Man 2
Mega Man 5
Blaster Master
Castlevania
Castlevania 3
Contra
Crystalis
Guardian Legend
Punchout
Kirbys Adventure
Startropics
Ninja Gaiden
Ninja Gaiden 2
Dragon Quest III

Wii:

Super Mario Galaxy 2
Skyward Sword
Punchout
Fragile Dreams
Fishing Resort
Xenoblade
Kirbys Epic Yarn
Donkey Kong Country Returns
Metroid Prime 3
Monster Hunter Tri
Little Kings Story

These are off the top of my head. If I had more time or had a list of games in front of me I could throw out a lot more

Oct 27, 2017
The N64 is easily the worst Nintendo console.

For me it even rates below the Wii U.

There are a handful of titles on the system that are worth playing. But following on from the killer apps that Nintendo released on the SNES made it seemed that the majority of their N64 output was really phoned in during that generation. They seemed to be struggling with the transition to 3D and gameplay really suffered.

I had a PS1, Saturn and N64 at the time and the N64 got very little playtime compared to the other two. It also didn't help having to pay cartridge prices for games compared to the cheaper CD media on the other machines.

An absolute dumpster fire of a console with Nintedo's worst generation gaming catalogue.

Mark1

Oct 30, 2017
If Wii U is taken out of the equation, then yes N64 is considered the worst of their home consoles. But that really isn't saying much when we got:

Ocarina of Time
Majora's Mask
Super Mario 64
Diddy Kong Racing
Mario Party 1/2
Pokémon Stadium
Shadows of the Empire
Star Fox 64/Lylat Wars
Smash Bros
Banjo Kazooie
Mario Kart 64
Plus more

Ultimately it was considered weaker because of the competition with the superior PS1. But it was still a success.

Wii U is easily their worst performing console. The N64 was considerably better than it. The former was only saved by Nintendo's first party output.

lowlifelenny

Oct 27, 2017
If you had a PAL one, then yeah it sucked. It was late, slow, and looked terrible.

An NTSC N64 through RGB was absolutely fantastic. Some of my best gaming experiences and memories.