• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Koozek

Oct 25, 2017
Some people misunderstood Nomura's recent comments on FFVIIR from a TWEWY fan event as him saying that FFVIIR's production has been on hold until KH3 is finished even though he clearly was talking about the marketing as he clarified in the new Famitsu issue.

Nomura says to Famitsu that misinformation about FF7R has spread from his comment at the TWEWY event. Assures FF7R isn't on hold until he finishes KH3, reiterates what he said at E3 that FF7R dev is going smoothly & SE PR is giving priority to KH3 now, "after that it will be FF7"

FFVIIR and KH3 are being made by two completely different teams, 300 miles away apart even, and it's pretty likely that there are other people in directing roles that oversee both projects while Nomura is too busy with either one of them, e.g. KH3's Co-Director Tai Yasue who as we know does the actual day-to-day directing in Osaka, and in FFVIIR's case presumably the Project Lead Naoki Hamaguchi (or maybe Toriyama, lol).

Feb 16, 2018
Maybe not but I wouldn't be surprised if it was in development hell like FF Versus XIII. I just don't have much faith in Nomura these days.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
Well yea of course it's not on hold because he's not actually directing it.

Thanks+for+animating+this+oh+great+wizard+video+maker+_604fe662c5454b6d0cedee260c5e5446.png

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if FF7R will show up at E3 2019. I expected it to show up in some form but now Sony is not having conference, I am curious.

StuBurns

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
I totally believe that, but also on some level believe it'll never happen.

Wrestleman

Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
Kinda ridiculous that this needed to be clarified, considering the structure of a AAA development team. But I guess it's just easier to vilify Nomura as the figurehead of Square Enix's evergreen publicly perceived "problems".

nemorrhoids

Oct 22, 2018
Man, is Nomura just cursed or is his work flow that inefficient? I don't want to blame the one man but it's hard sometimes when it seems that all of his projects end up like this nowadays.

Oct 30, 2017
Nomura... save your breath because no matter what you say about FFVIIR the gamers on the internet will just keep being overly pessimistic and make bitter memes about the project.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
So, announced in 2015. Rebooted last year due to shenanigans with external developer, going smoothly.

We can expect PS5/PS6 cross-gen circa 2026!

Gun

Oct 27, 2017
I'm pretty sure that during E3 we gonna see more about the game. Just like we got a bunch of new KH III trailers after the release of FF XV

But there's no way that this is a 2019 game. With luck, early 2020. But I'm betting in late 2020

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
The sooner it's out on PS5 the sooner we can start waiting for the better PC version. Glad to hear that Nomura.

Becks'

Dec 7, 2017
Canada
2025 still. Gotta make three versions and scrap them before releasing the proper one. That's Square's tradition.

Ushojax

Oct 30, 2017
How can they screw up remaking a game though?

By completely changing the genre, as they are doing?

Personally all I ever wanted from an FFVII remake was the old game with a new coat of paint. Keep the perspective, keep the battle system, just redo the graphics and music. SE have taken on a gargantuan and likely impossible task in trying to translate the entirety of FFVII into a modern, fully 3D ARPG. After the many terrible products and development problems they've had in recent years, I don't really trust them to pull it off.

I don't expect them to finish this game for at least 5 years, possibly more. They don't know how to make games properly.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if FF7R will show up at E3 2019. I expected it to show up in some form but now Sony is not having conference, I am curious.
Will just be at Xbox or SE's presentation - presumably they'll have one again, since they have a pretty insane slate of games? I dunno, I expected them to blow their load on a bunch of stuff they have cooking this year, but they surprisingly held off.

Delaney

Oct 25, 2017
While it might be obvious that this doesn't need to be clarified, I'm sure he can improve his wording when discussing the development of his projects. It's not the first time we have to play hieroglyphics to understand the message.

From "KH is 90% while VII is 60% and while I'm working on KH I can't work VII but VII is ahead in some departments but KH releases first" to "We are working on both projects at the time and even if they are progressing at a nice pace, KH releases first so we are now focusing on polishing the game" there's a whole world, and it basically says the same.

Wrestleman

Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
While it might be obvious that this doesn't need to be clarified, I'm sure he can improve his wording when discussing the development of his projects. It's not the first time we have to play hieroglyphics to understand the message.

From "KH is 90% while VII is 60% and while I'm working on KH I can't work VII but VII is ahead in some departments but KH releases first" to "We are working on both projects at the time and even if they are progressing at a nice pace, KH releases first so we are now focusing on polishing the game" there's a whole world, and it basically says the same.

A lot of the quirks of this stuff come from cultural difference that is lost in 1:1 translation of his comments, I'm sure, as well.

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
Will just be at Xbox or SE's presentation - presumably they'll have one again, since they have a pretty insane slate of games? I dunno, I expected them to blow their load on a bunch of stuff they have cooking this year, but they surprisingly held off.
Yeah but unlike KH3, FF7R is announced as PS4 first, so it will be a bit weird for a sort of re-reveal to be at Xbox event.

OP
OP
Koozek

Koozek

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder what he means by "going smoothly".
Well, what's it supposed to mean, lol? FWIW at least, it's apparently going well according to this year's comments from Kitase, Hamaguchi, Hashimoto, and SE's president Matsuda (also Uematsu accidentally leaked that at some point FFVIIR was actually supposed to release this year, lol).

Jan 2018:
Kitase-san mentioned that the game's development is going well. Asked his goal for 2018, he explained that about the remake he'd like to work on "comfort," also playing on words by mentioning that on a personal level hopes to take it easy (using the same word, "raku" which means "ease" or "comfort") if possible.

Source.

Feb 2018:
Hamaguchi goes on, after Nomura leaves, to comment on the long draught of info since the first trailers, and apologizes. He goes on to say that the project has moved completely in-house, and is again, progressing very smoothly. At the current point they're at the stage where they're basically cramming a bunch of stuff into the game, but once they hit the stage of polishing up the look of things and can deliver something with suffuciently high quality, they will be releasing new footage.
He anticipates this will be in the near future due to how smoothly things are progressing.

Kitase then signs us off by making the joke previously mentioned in the thread, saying he wishes to keep on polishing up the game for the 35th anniversary, to which they all laugh and Hamaguchi responds objectingly "Hey that's a long ways off!"
He then however, also goes on to say that a lot is hanging on the next (presumably big) event, and that they're hoping to show off (the game) by then.

Source.

June 2018:
It's been three years since we've seen anything from Square Enix regarding its episodic remake of Final Fantasy VII. The game was a no-show again at E3 this year, but it remains in development, according to Tetsuya Nomura, who has a hand in the title along with directing Kingdom Hearts III. "We are developing [Final Fantasy VII] in parallel, and it's not just in the early concept stages," he tells The Verge. "We are actually in development."

The longtime Square Enix developer says he's been giving equal effort to both highly anticipated games. "So right now, it's like I've been putting in 100 percent into Kingdom Hearts, 100 percent into Final Fantasy VII, 100 percent into Kingdom Hearts... just going back and forth," he says. "It's just like [working on] two titles is just going to be one [after Kingdom Hearts III's launch]. That's pretty much how I see it."

Source.

June 2018:
Final Fantasy VII Remake director Tetsuya Nomura commented on the status of the game's development in the latest issue of Weekly Famitsu.

Here are the tidbits:
  • "We're trying to figure out when we will put out the next news release."
  • "Production is going well."
  • "The scenario will also delve into the members of Avalanche."
  • "[Development] is moving along more than expected, so please wait for the next news release with peace of mind."
Source.

June 2018:
Square Enix Holdings 38th General Meeting of Stockholders [June 2018]

Question: Regarding Final Fantasy VII Remake, it's been three years since it was announced at E3 2015. About what percentage has development progressed?

Shinji Hashimoto: "I can't say a single word about that. As it has been reported, we took a second look at the development structure and continued from there. It's certainly hitting its milestones accordingly."

Yosuke Matsuda: "There is a lot being said about it, but it's progressing as it should so please don't fret. Things are coming along well."

Source.

June 2018:
When asked about Final Fantasy VII Remake during a recent interview, director Tetsuya Nomura said he acknowledges that there's been some fake news [Likely about the rumored 2023 release window] and fans may feel uneasy about it but he said the development is going favorably and solidifying.

However, Nomura said that the lack of new information on Final Fantasy VII Remake has nothing to do with its development Status. According to the director, the reason for this is because Square Enix is prioritizing the release of other titles, including Kingdom Hearts III.

Square Enix is currently looking ahead for a possible timing to release new information on Final Fantasy VII Remake, and Nomura asked fans to wait a little while longer. Kingdom Hearts III releases in January 25-29, 2019, so hopefully we'll get a more steady flow of news on the game after its release.

Source.

Though see below, technically they said similar things about Versus, so I guess you never know how believable these comments are.

Versus 13 was also going smoothly....
Yeahh, tbh, even though I decided to be optimistic about all their reassuring comments this year on FFVIIR considering the circumstances aren't the same as last gen during Versus' development, I still can't help but remember all these very similar-sounding comments during Versus' development:

2009:
In May 2009, Final Fantasy Versus XIII designer Tetsuya Nomura said, "The progress of developing Final Fantasy Versus XIII is going well". At that time, the developers were working on lighting effects for the game.
Later that summer, Kitase told Kotaku that the development time for Versus XIII will be "comparatively faster" than Final Fantasy XIII. If Kitase's estimate held water, that meant a 2011 release was in the cards.
Source.

2010:
They say that we will have to remain patient a bit longer for more information on the game. Although, "development for Final Fantasy Versus XIII has really picked up since we've finished Final Fantasy XIII, and many designers and graphic artists are again Project Final Fantasy Versus XIII."
Sounds like everything is coming along splendidly.
Source.

2010:
In an interview in the recent issue of Dengeki magazine, it was revealed that the scenario for the game is apparently fleshed out and finalized. This actually shouldn't come as a surprise as the details of the story aren't the heavy lifting, but rather, the actual game programming.
The character designs have also been finalized, and the clothing designs are finished.
Keep in mind that the development of Final Fantasy XIII redirected resources from Versus XIII. So while Square Enix revealed Final Fantasy Versus XIII, the company still had to get Final Fantasy XIII out the door first.
Last year, Nomura said that development on the title was going "well", and the developers were working on various lighting tests for the game.
Source.

2011:
Last time we heard from Final Fantasy Versus XIII, the game wasn't yet in full production. At the time, only the team's core staff were working on it. Quizzed at a recent fan meeting, Final Fantasy XIII-2's Motomu Toriyama and Yoshinori Kitase confirmed the game is now in full production.
"Type-0 and Versus XIII have of course advanced to 100 percent development power," said Kitase during the roundtable.
Final Fantasy Versus XIII will not be at this year's Tokyo Game Show, which kicks off next week. Though, game director Tetsuya Nomura has said he's already decided when the game will be shown next.
Source.

2012:
Asked how Final Fantasy Versus XIII was coming along while noting that it's been 6 years since the game was announced, Nomura replied, "We would like to ask for your patience on an official announcement for this title. It always takes time when tackling the challenge of doing something completely new, but we are doing our best to bring information to the fans as quickly as we can.
Your patience is greatly appreciated."
Source.
We know what happened afterwards - the rest is history.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
By completely changing the genre, as they are doing?

Personally all I ever wanted from an FFVII remake was the old game with a new coat of paint. Keep the perspective, keep the battle system, just redo the graphics and music. SE have taken on a gargantuan and likely impossible task in trying to translate the entirety of FFVII into a modern, fully 3D ARPG. After the many terrible products and development problems they've had in recent years, I don't really trust them to pull it off.

I don't expect them to finish this game for at least 5 years, possibly more. They don't know how to make games properly.
I really don't see how changing the battle system would screw the game up unless that's the only thing you liked about the game, FFVII was much more than that after all, the only thing worrying is how they will cut a single game and make 3 full games from it.

IzzyRX