Kyry

Oct 27, 2017
You're arguing something completely different from what i am. Its not square obligation to keep adding new games if they dont see return on xbox in any form - true. But KH3 WILL RELEASE, regardless. This isn't a discussion about trying to convince KHIII to be ported - that already happened. So yes, its Square's job to support it if they want to sell well, yes.

Its probably a sunk cost for them. I have no doubt they would take back the announcement if they could but they can't. They can ensure they dont spend more money porting the earlier games though,

I'm not convinced a conversation with Microsoft would end in Microsoft spending that money either. They have tried to build an audience for JRPGs on Xbox in the past as well.

Aquova

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Kansas
People in here think that you can just snap your fingers and have a port made.

KH3 comes out in about 6 months, and the team is busy finishing up everything with that. If they wanted to port something, it would have to be 1.5+2.5, anything less than that would almost be insulting to Xbox players. In that case, they would need to port over 4 entire games and get it out the door before January.

To be honest, when he says "we need to discuss with MS" I read that as "we aren't really interested in porting these over, but I don't to say that outright, so I'll shift blame a little". Maybe if KH3 does well enough, then the ports will make it over too.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I have some trouble believing that, tbh. It was the immediate question I saw out of everybody as soon as they announced KH3 for Xbox - "what about the previous titles?" Nobody at MS or SE thought that they should have this conversation before now? Really?

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
People in here think that you can just snap your fingers and have a port made.

KH3 comes out in about 6 months, and the team is busy finishing up everything with that. If they wanted to port something, it would have to be 1.5+2.5, anything less than that would almost be insulting to Xbox players. In that case, they would need to port over 4 entire games and get it out the door before January.

Yeah nah. If they had something to spare during KHIII development, it was time - no one is asking for a six month rush port, but they never had only six months to port anything. We know KHIII would be on xbox since launch.

Which is why your second point is probably correct. It's lack of interest, plain and simple. Saying "talks havent started yet" is just more elegant than saying "and they never will because we dont want to".

Tsunamo

Oct 28, 2017
I seem to recall this being boughtup in a interview a couple of years ago with people from Square-Enix (or the Osaka team?) and they said they'd think about/look into it so I really doubt anything will come of it unless Microsoft moneyhats those ports or Nier does decent.

I could see a scenerio where maybe we get Switch and Xbox ports of them announced together down the line though.
I still don't understand why Kingdom hearts 3 was announced for Xbox One.
Probably assumed the Xbox One would do as well as the PS4 so greenlit it. I'm sure it'll still do okay, but not releasing the collection on Xbox One while the series has no history on there certainly is a headscratcher.

SmarmySmurf

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
MH did well and KH is much more recognizable. It won't bomb.

Does MH even have a continuing storyline that's front and center? Serious question, never played it. And the graphical style of MH looks far more Xbox playerbase friendly. imo I hope it does well enough that SE does port the others, because that's the only way I'll buy any KH games. In order.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
This is just the usual SE BS response.

They are never openly going to admit that they are biased or call out Sony. Same way when they were asked about FF XIV hitting other consoles....

Imagine having to talk with Spencer for 7h just so you can port some old KH titles to the Xbox. There is nothing to discuss and the KH Collection should have been on PS4/One to begin with.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
PC isn't getting KH3 as of now and SE usually doesn't bring their big Japanese games to Steam until they have gotten most of their sales from the console market.

But yeah in a perfect world KH3 and the collections would be on all 3 systems... The fact that we even have to discuss why this hasn't happened is tiresome, but that's SE for you.

Same way they told us they would be willing to bring everything that could be ported to the Switch.... I'm still waiting on a single classic SE title to appear on Switch let alone the mainline games that are already on a ton of other systems.

Mashy

Oct 28, 2017
I doubt the market is there for them to make any meaningful profit from it. It probebly isnt worth their own time and money doing it.

Deleted member 11421

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why isn't this series on PC again? Not trying to port-beg, just curious since FF and and now DQ are on there and not on Xbox. Is there some sort of legal red tape?

Too many games and not enough free manpower? Not sure I trust Square Enix on PC ports just yet either. Hell the PS4 collection took like half a year to patch some significant issues, and while XV is a good port let's not forget the many, many issues the XIII trilogy ports had. I still get unavoidable crashes in XIII-2 past a certain point.

unapersson

Oct 27, 2017
KH3 will be built for new players who are diving in for the first time. On PS4 and on XBox. Just like God of War was. Getting caught up in a desire for the old games would be a mistake.

If you really want to play a Kingdom Hearts game then surely III would be the best place to start considering it is designed around this generation of machines.

The ports of the first two are for a pre-existing fanbase that asked for them. I'm not convinced they're expecting gamers to play two substantial PS2 era JRPGs before jumping in to their new game. It could easily be counter productive.

Aurelio

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I mean, I think it's pretty clear what happened. Square announced Kingdom Hearts III for the Xbox back in 2013, before the system even came out, when they expected it to do very well in the US like the 360 did, so it made sense to target the system. Once it was clear that the PS4 was the dominant system and the Xbox One was struggling, Square basically ended all support on their Japanese side, but kept up with the games they promised for the system. I think they feel like the collections would be a waste of time on the system and are basically just publishing Kingdom Hearts III to fulfill a promise they made 5 years ago.
Pretty much this.
Honestly as someone who's had a PS4 for more than a year (primarily Xbox gamer) and has the compilation game borrowed, I'm really leaning heavily on just not buying this game. How does Square expect it to sell well at all on a console where literally no one knows whats happening in the game? And a story focused game as that.
Buy a cheap PS3?
What a load of bull. What conversation is there to have?

We get Nier but not the KH collections? lol Thankfully I already played the PS2 games but I would love to play them again and everything else leading up to 3.
Licenses and stuff
As has been covered before, I'm pretty sure there's weird restrictions with some combination of Disney's contracts and Utada's music (and maybe Sony exclusivity?) that makes porting these games harder than they should be. I'm not sure why they have to talk about it with Microsoft though. But it's almost certainly why the series has at least skipped PC so far, while FF gets ported hard. These games are seemingly a nightmare to move from platform to platform.

Remember they were bizarrely unavailable digitally on PS3 - something Disney liked to enforce- until with PS4 they required that games be available on the PS Store. Disney owns the series, not SE.

So while I think ports are possible, there's a lot of red tape and I'd guess they'd need MS or someone to motivate them to deal with it all and help alleviate any financial annoyances that may arise as a result.
Exactly.
I still don't understand why Kingdom hearts 3 was announced for Xbox One.
$$$

Ghost Slayer

Oct 30, 2017
KH3 will be built for new players who are diving in for the first time. On PS4 and on XBox. Just like God of War was. Getting caught up in a desire for the old games would be a mistake.

If you really want to play a Kingdom Hearts game then surely III would be the best place to start considering it is designed around this generation of machines.

The ports of the first two are for a pre-existing fanbase that asked for them. I'm not convinced they're expecting gamers to play two substantial PS2 era JRPGs before jumping in to their new game. It could easily be counter productive.
Im sure people who jump into KH3 as their first game will know Orginazation XIII, multiple vilians, relationship between characters /s
Seriously, KH3 is not the best place to start the series when it supposes to be the final chapter of Dark Seeker saga. The game expects you know at least base storyline from previous game (included games that is not numbered). Not porting the two collections to X1 is a mistake from SE, I guess they want MS to pay the bill rather than do it themselves

unapersson

Oct 27, 2017
Im sure people who jump into KH3 as their first game will know Orginazation XIII, multiple vilians, relationship between characters /s

Is having such a story dependency on games that released over 13 years ago not a big mistake? Do games makers not have to be competent at having people jump into a big story at any point and be able to play from then on?

The previous games provide additional story context but they should not be necessary.

MrHeisenbird

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
User Banned (3 Days) : System Warring + History of similar infractions.
Kingdom Hearts will flop on Xbox if Phil doesn't start writing more checks.

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
The fact that they haven't even started a conversation about it sounds insane to me.
I played all KH games, and often even I get confused about the story. Someone starting the game with KH3 is going to be completely lost about it.

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
Pretty much this.

Buy a cheap PS3?

$$$

I actually have the collection edition borrowed from a friend and can play at any time, but I have so many other games, and I'm already really invested into the Xbox ecosystem. That and physical games really suck. Either way, bit of a silent protest on my part for them not porting the game. I don't understand how they expect this game to sell while being the third (if only in name) title in a narrative driven game.

Ghost Slayer

Oct 30, 2017
Is having such a story dependency on games that released over 13 years ago not a big mistake? Do games makers not have to be competent at having people jump into a big story at any point and be able to play from then on?

The previous games provide additional story context but they should not be necessary.
Believe me. If first timers want to understand the story, this is the game you require to know previous games context. I dont know how can people have any idea what is going on in KH3 if they dont play last entries. Heck KH3 is the direct sequel of a non-numbered game, meaning if you only play KH1 and 2 and skip rest of the series, you wont know anything in KH3.

chasingclouds

Jan 5, 2018
England, U.K.
I think it's really weird when you get just a single game of a series on your system. It makes it feel more like it's just a token gesture, and I wonder how many sales can you actually expect when you have one game
From a long running series on your system, but then no past ones (or often future ones). Especially with Kingdom Hearts where I think there is an over-arching plot?

As a personal example- I was SO excited to finally play Final Fantasy on Xbox - played, XIII, XIII-2, Lightning Returns, XV, Type-0, but there was no back catalogue - so then I ended up buying all of them again for
PS4, along with the remastered older games when I eventually got a PS3 and PS4.

I played Tales of Vesperia on 360 and loved it. I was then upset because I found out the last 6 Tales of games were Playstation 3, 2 were Playstation Vita, and the next 2 were Playstation 4. To get just one game out of 10 doesn't make much sense to me, it's then just upsetting for fans who enjoyed it to discover they need to buy a new system to enjoy more. I've since bought every Tales of game for PS4.

Same with Star Ocean - I LOVED Star Ocean 4 on my 360 and was gutted when I found out Star Ocean 5 would release only on PS4 (which I didn't have), not Xbox. I've since bought Star Ocean 4 again, along with 3 and 5 for
PS4.

Ironically, Xbox getting one or two of the games from establishes franchises actually got me into the series, which then fuelled my desire to get a Playstation because I realised first hand what I was missing.

It's a two way street with Microsoft and their fan base - we need start playing these kinds of games on Xbox for them to invest more, but they need to invest more so we will play - it won't happen overnight, but they do need more effort and to properly invest in it if they are serious about Japanese support - however so far they usually get a couple of key titles and check the box off and do no more. So far that's all this seems to me, again.

Vault

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Most people who buy this on PS4 wont have played the Collection either.

So wont make much difference.

Deleted member 10060

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Most people who buy this on PS4 wont have played the Collection either.

So wont make much difference.

I'm thinking you have a point. I played the remaster of the first game on PS3, but have yet to touch the second. I played the games when they originally released, and with everything else out there, I don't know if I have the time or will to replay them before KH3. Pretty sure there are many like me. Having had a PS2 back in the day does not mean you're not gonna play this on Xbox. Some people are that console loyal, but most aren't.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Is this just a polite way of saying, it's not really been high on our agenda?

Tintin

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like it's clearly not cost-beneficial for either party to get the collections on Xbox. If it made sense financially it would have been done already to be honest. I just don't see this happening...

DSP

Oct 25, 2017
General responses I've seen from shows to KH3 is that it doesn't make any sense. It's been so long, what they should have done is that treat this like a soft reboot of some kind. Maybe they have I don't know, but from the trailers doesn't look like it. It' been so long, there is a lot of appeal to a game mashing Disney worlds together but among the audience that would be interested in 2019, I'm not sure how many have ever played KH before and releasing this collection really wouldn't change anything either. You're a releasing a sequel after 14 years, it can't be a direct sequel to some obscure handheld games.

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
The collection being exclusive was a major selling point during the Sony conference. Somehow I doubt it's just a matter of Microsoft asking for it.

Like they're not gonna make a point of saying "EXCLUSIVE" at E3 and then a few month later "nevermind Phil talked to us forget about the exclusivity thing". It's a done deal, and what Nomura is saying is sounding like good old bullshit.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
What the hell is up with this company and their ports/remasters? They should have been working on this the day they announced KH3 for XB1. They've done this collection not once but twice on Playstation, why would they even need to "discuss" this with MS?

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
They're just leaving money on the table and even more odd, they;re dropping in hot with a one-off with no back catalog... which is weird when they've already ported it to another console. They just did that with FF XV and honestly I think they'd have better sales if they released the previous titles on the console first, I know for sure I'd toss my wallet at the screen for that.

Where's the PC release for any of these? Switch? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not a fan of the fact certain developers/publishers feel the need to "discuss" (as in get financial help) to even consider porting certain products over popular consoles. There's about 40m Xbox Ones out there, not exactly peanuts, I don't see how a "quick and dirty" port wouldn't be profittable. And if games like Nier end up selling poorly, it's ultimately a self-fulfilling prophecy: a year late full-priced port really shouldn't be used as a sign on how much Xbox players want to play your titles. Since they want to bring KH3 to Xbox, it seems like a no-brainer to bring this collection as well, and it feels so odd they are waiting for Microsoft to "ask" them to do it instead of doing the most logical thing porting it. Given how the architectures of Xbox One and PS4 are rather similar, I honestly can't imagine the porting costs wouldn't be recouped in days, given the size of the Kingdom Hearts property (with MS giving them "free" advertisement on the E3 conference).

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Kingdom Hearts is a strange series. Remember how you couldn't get Birth by Sleep digitally, which prevented it being available on the Vita? When you add the silly licensing nonsense in FFVII: Crisis Core that also prevented it being on the Vita one gets the feeling SE are not a hugely forward thinking company when drafting agreements.

Jade1962

Oct 28, 2017
Missing the coll3ctions on X1 isn't going to harm the sales of KH3 on Xbox in any meaninful way. It's not as if missing out on Witcher 1 and 2 hurt the sales of the PS4 version. Most gamers aren't these console loyal fan bots y'all are describing. If KH3 is a great game it will sell well on X1.

Deleted member 4093

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The kind of question is the fact that there never was a game for the console after 7 entries and later SE never ported the collections so I always thought why they did that without build a fanbase in the console at all.
I understand but after monster hunter we have no reason to question these kind of moves. If its a big Japanese game it will do well. Let alone the fact it has disney characters.

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
They're just leaving money on the table and even more odd, they;re dropping in hot with a one-off with no back catalog... which is weird when they've already ported it to another console. They just did that with FF XV and honestly I think they'd have better sales if they released the previous titles on the console first, I know for sure I'd toss my wallet at the screen for that.

Where's the PC release for any of these? Switch? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I think it really just boil down to them not wanting to pay for the port. They really want to squeeze Microsoft to pay for it

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
For time reasons, I'm probably not going to bother with the collection on PS4, but I'd be tempted if these were 4K on X1X.

Fubar

Oct 25, 2017
I fully expect KH3 to sell well on X1 - not nearly as much as PS4, obviously, but well nonetheless. Hopefully it is enough to motivate SE to do something about it, but maybe not.

OP
OP
Liliana

Liliana

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
NYC
The collection being exclusive was a major selling point during the Sony conference. Somehow I doubt it's just a matter of Microsoft asking for it.

Like they're not gonna make a point of saying "EXCLUSIVE" at E3 and then a few month later "nevermind Phil talked to us forget about the exclusivity thing". It's a done deal, and what Nomura is saying is sounding like good old bullshit.

Hmm, so we should believe a random internet armchair analyst over Nomura himself? I'm inclined to go with the latter.

We all know Sony does whatever they can to try to keep games off their competitors consoles but you're giving them too much credit here. With so much games losing PS4 exclusivity lately and coming to Xbox (even Crash of all things) and Sony unable to even get the DMC5 world premiere (a franchise that was primarily Playstation), I don't know what leverage Sony would have to make Square ignore Microsoft here regarding an old remaster port of a franchise coming to Xbox anyway.

Kyry

Oct 27, 2017
Hmm, so we should believe a random internet armchair analyst over Nomura himself? I'm inclined to go with the latter.

We all know Sony does whatever they can to try to keep games off their competitors consoles but you're giving them too much credit here. With so much games losing PS4 exclusivity lately and coming to Xbox (even Crash of all things) and Sony unable to even get the DMC5 world premiere (a franchise that was primarily Playstation), I don't know what leverage Sony would have to make Square ignore Microsoft here regarding an old remaster port of a franchise coming to Xbox anyway.

Its not reasonable to think Sony requires leverage, Square just doesn't bring most of their Japanese games to Xbox. Sony required no leverage to keep Final Fantasy X-X2, XII, Dragon Quest Heroes, Dragon Quest Builders, I am Setsuna, Dissidea FF, Lost Sphere, Star Ocean or Secret of Mana off of Xbox. The recent Babylon and Quiet Man games seem much the same

Square does not care. If they did, we would see an announce port.

raketenrolf

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
They obviously want MS to pay for the ports. If SE wanted to port them over by themselves, they would have done it already imo. They had enough time.

Deleted member 1607

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was really expecting this to be announced during the MS event. It seems so silly to me that KH3 is coming to Xbox when none of the previous games have ever been on those systems.

Aokiji

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
square just announced *two* new PS4 console exclusives, after just announcing they are finally going to port one of their exclusives to xbox. if you don't think Sony & Square would make business decisions to keep games off xbox, youre being naive. VXIII becoming multiplat XV was because development changed and Sony wasnt about to pay Square for the money they would need to recoup. Even KH3 Square announced it in 2013 when they assumed this gen would be like the last. If KH3 was annonced even a year after 2013 it wouldve most likely been exclusive. Crash was Activisions choice, and they have never made an exclusive anything. DMC4 and DmC were on Xbox so I don't know why you think xbox paying negotiating for premiere rights would make a difference there

Last edited: