• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Vanillalite

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Mega Millions

Next Estimated Jackpot
$750 MillionCASH OPTION: $550.6 MILLIONNext Drawing:
Fri., 1/15 @ 11 p.m. ET

tenor.gif

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
It's fun to hypothesize how your life could drastically change by luck.

bevishead

Jan 9, 2018
I've been playing Mega Millions and Powerball since it was $350 million or so. I just put down $2 each game night. Not trying to spend a ton of money, just want to throw my hat into the ring.

May 8, 2018
God what I wouldn't give for one million much less 750. It's always fun to dream. I fear though if I ever won I'd die of a heart attack. lol

Never spend more than the 2 bucks for one play though because I know I'll never win.

Tater

Oct 30, 2017
After taking the cash option and paying taxes, the EV is just over a dollar. You'd be crazy NOT not to play!

LegalEagleMike

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
this is good, trump terrorists will spend all their transportation money on lottery tickets instead of going to DC.

this is a joke...kinda.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
I never buy lottery tickets until they get to be so big that I may as well make a 50% donation to my local tax cauffers.

Darryl M R

Oct 25, 2017
There's no way to place a ticket online right? I'm not doing groceries until the weekend, so I'm not really trying to unnecessary enter a store for a ticket.

LaneDS

Oct 25, 2017
There's no way to place a ticket online right? I'm not doing groceries until the weekend, so I'm not really trying to unnecessary enter a store for a ticket.

Looks like depending on the state, that's an option? I spent $20 on tickets in VA now (I don't remember the last time I've bought a lotto ticket).

sfedai0

Oct 27, 2017
It would be amazing if they just gave a million to every person in the US. Still would be plenty leftover.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
Before people divebomb the thread with cutesy takes on why it's mathematically improbable and how people are throwing their money away, fantasizing for a day is worth the $10 that I'll spend on Powerball tickets once every 2-3 years.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd be set for life at my current level with a couple million. If I actually hit the jackpot I'd probably donate half to worthy charity's and just keep the rest to invest in some business ventures... or petty shit like making life harder for Trumpers.

Darryl M R

Oct 25, 2017
Obligatory Reddit post about what to do if you win the lottery:

The Reddit Post said:
7. So you have put a safety net in place.

You have provided for your family beyond your wildest dreams. And you still have $36.4 million in "cash." You know you will be getting $638,400 per year unless the capital (assuming they meant capitol) building is burning, you don't ever need to give anyone you care about cash, since they are provided for generously and responsibly (and can't blow it in Vegas) and you have a HUGE nest egg that is growing at market rates. (Given the recent dip, you'll be buying in at great prices for the market). What now? Whatever you want. Go ahead and burn through $36.4 million in hookers and blow if you want. You've got more security than 99% of the country. A lot of it is in trusts so even if you are sued your family will live well, and progress across generations. If your lawyer is worth his salt (I bet he is) then you will be insulated from most lawsuits anyhow. Buy a nice house or two, make sure they aren't stupid investments though. Go ahead and be an angel investor and fund some startups, but REFUSE to do it for anyone you know. (Friends and money, oil and water - Michael Corleone) Play. Have fun. You earned it by putting together the shoe sizes of your whole family on one ticket and winning the jackpot.

200.gif

We got a little too close a few days ago

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
Isnt it 750million? theyd afford $2.20 per person
The $750MM figure is the estimated lifetime value of an annuity they would provide the winner over something like 20 yrs if they did not take the cash option. There will not be $750M sitting in a bank account somewhere on Fri waiting for someone to claim it. That number is closer to something like $400MM.

HammerOfThor

Oct 26, 2017
Obligatory Reddit post about what to do if you win the lottery:

7. So you have put a safety net in place.

You have provided for your family beyond your wildest dreams. And you still have $36.4 million in "cash." You know you will be getting $638,400 per year unless the capital building is burning, you don't ever need to give anyone you care about cash, since they are provided for generously and responsibly (and can't blow it in Vegas) and you have a HUGE nest egg that is growing at market rates. (Given the recent dip, you'll be buying in at great prices for the market)
3hxef2.jpg

Edit: Beaten by Darryl M R lol

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
I always suspected that the lottery was rigged.

The only time I bought tickets were when the office played. And the reason I did it was just because I thought it would literally kill me to come in on Monday as the only person in the office that did not win. That dread outweighed my feeling that it is rigged.

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018
93 year old woman living in rural central florida will win and not claim the ticket.

SpoonyBob

Oct 27, 2017
Arkansas
The office where I work gets a bug up their butts every time the jackpot gets crazy high and we do a pool.

I'm not really sure why, cause us winning 10 million bucks between 8 people would still substantially change all our lives... but anyway.

I wouldn't ever put down money on my own, but I'm not going to be the only moron coming to work poor if they did end up winning.

Kenstar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Earth
whoa 750 million and more people playing meaning a higher chance of splitting the pot with other winners huh
NOW its worth my time to play lets gooooo
imagine if i had played and won when it was a paltry 100 million lmao suckers

Vyse

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The only time I bought tickets were when the office played. And the reason I did it was just because I thought it would literally kill me to come in on Monday as the only person in the office that did not win. That dread outweighed my feeling that it is rigged.
The office where I work gets a bug up their butts every time the jackpot gets crazy high and we do a pool.

I'm not really sure why, cause us winning 10 million bucks between 8 people would still substantially change all our lives... but anyway.

I wouldn't ever put down money on my own, but I'm not going to be the only moron coming to work poor if they did end up winning.
This is the only kind of peer pressure that can shake my soul, the thought of such an unlikely scenario still weights more heavily than real life stress.

Ain't Nobody

Oct 30, 2017
whoa 750 million and more people playing meaning a higher chance of splitting the pot with other winners huh
NOW its worth my time to play lets gooooo
imagine if i had played and won when it was a paltry 100 million lmao suckers

Oh no, three people might win and you'll have to suffer with a measley 125 million after taxes and taking the lump sum.