• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimrpg

Oct 26, 2017
I don't understand - why don't they just give everyone their money back so they can spend it on the correct DLC?

May 19, 2020
I don't understand - why don't they just give everyone their money back so they can spend it on the correct DLC?
Sony and Nintendo have a no refunds policy on their stores because they can get away with it. They don't care.

For fairness they will allow refunds only on a conditional basis, often given as a one time exception.

Jan 10, 2018
Nintendo making life difficult for customers and generally being anti-consumer? Shocking.

I hate how freely the term anti-consumer is used on Era where it doesn't make sense, but Nintendo just embodies actual anti-consumer behaviour to me in the way they approach customer service and their products. JFC.

Their customer service is pretty good. Except for digital, but you already had that conclusion anyhow.

LostSkullKid

Nov 27, 2017
One time I bought the season pass for a game but for some reason one piece of DLC that came out later wasn't marked as owned for me, so I just assumed it wasn't part of the season pass, so I bought it. Like an hour later, I found out it was included and the only reason it wasn't listed as owned was because I hadn't updated the game. Nintendo refused to give me a refund for DLC that I should've already owned.

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Their customer service is pretty good. Except for digital, but you already had that conclusion anyhow.

Generally speaking their customer service is fine, it's just the fundamental decisions they make that I find so whack. I mean more fool me, I buy their shit anyway, but it still doesn't sit well with me. Joycon gate is the worst example of it (I live in Europe).

Jimrpg

Oct 26, 2017
Sony and Nintendo have a no refunds policy on their stores because they can get away with it. They don't care.

For fairness they will allow refunds only on a conditional basis, often given as a one time exception.

it really wouldnt hurt to be more consumer friendly would it? this is a company that made $2b in profits last year iirc.

May 19, 2020
it really wouldnt hurt to be more consumer friendly would it? this is a company that made $2b in profits last year iirc.
It wouldn't so that's why my explanation for it is that they don't care. It is something they are willing to take punches on because they do well otherwise and it provides no advantage to them to offer refunds.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I'm more baffled by the fact that there are two different versions of the DLC available for purchase based on Sword & Shield individually. What a ridiculous thing to do. The refund issue isn't surprising because Nintendo has always been that way unfortunately.

Dehnus

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
... Is the US version different to the UK shop page?

Because the purchase page for the UK is literally titled "Pokémon sword expansion pass" and the very first text on the page is a warning that it's only compatible with Pokémon sword and that if you want to use it with shield you need to buy the other version.
There is always one.

Seriously, this is just obtuse, especially for people not so digitally savy. Nintendo should be taken to court for this, and I say that as a Switch and pc only gamer.

boontobias

Avenger
Apr 14, 2018
Banning refunds on digital goods wouldnt hold up in any court. Someone just needs to get the resources to sue

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
Sure, that's fair. But the language and energy a lot of people in this thread are using is a bit extreme. Most of it is just yelling at clouds anyways. As many have pointed out, this isn't even a confirmed thing. Also, are we getting mad on behalf of like, what, 500 people that made the mistake of buying the wrong DLC and will probably get refunded if they contact Nintendo?
I see your point but it doesn't mean we shouldn't call this out. When we found out there won't be a save backup option for Animal Crossing NH, there was enough noise about it for Nintendo to backtrack and say they are now working on an option for later in the year. When Mario Maker 2 didn't have online co-op, noise was made about this also and the feature got added later.

I know we often operate on the basis that Nintendo will do what it wants and not listen to anyone, but sometimes it does. We need to keep kicking up a fuss each them.

Jimrpg

Oct 26, 2017
It's not even something you could abuse unless you have multiple accounts and bought the DLC on every account.

Ashgarth

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's still ridiculous how they went with version specific DLC in the first place.

Gotta day though... it's pretty hard to buy the wrong version.
In the eShop...

Title: "Pokemon Shield Expansion Pass"

Image: "Pokemon Shield Expansion Pass"

"Software Required to Use This Product" Box:
"Pokemon Shield"

Header: "This Expansion Pass is only for Pokemon Shield."

and then it's referred to 5 times in the description text as 'Pokemon Shield Expansion Pass' specifically.

To be fair they tell you NINE times exactly what you're buying. It doesn't excuse the lack of refunds in the slightest, but I'm just saying...

You realize A LOT of these purchases will have to be made by parents who have absolutely no idea what the difference between both versions are?
They'll go into the eshop, see the dlc and buy it, expecting something as basic as not being able to buy DLC for a game that is not installed on the game console.

totofogo

Oct 29, 2017
Chicago
Uh yeah, wtf. I haven't gone through all the pages here, but the cited tweets do not mention refunds according to a quick google translate.

Currently, we have received inquiries from people who have "Pokemon Shield", saying, "I accidentally purchased an expansion pass for Sword."

The expansion pass is divided into [for sword] and [for shield]. Please be careful when purchasing. #Pokemon Sword Shield #Expansion Pass

If you purchase from the banner marked "Expansion Pass" at the bottom right of the game menu screen, you can purchase the correct "Expansion Pass" (jump to the purchase screen of the e-shop). #Pokemon Sword Shield #Expansion Pass

Am I missing something here, or have both articles and a majority of seven pages of posters just... not checked their source whatsoever?

EDIT: and to be clear, the Nintendo Soup article directly makes a false claim regardless of Nintendo's typical policy. And regardless, they've been known to flex it as we've seen in the past.

The company reminded customers to be very careful as there will be no refunds provided for such mistakes.

Lylo

Oct 25, 2017
OK, they don't want to refund it, but how difficult is to change the product the user owns from one version to another? That's lame...

LunaSerena

Oct 25, 2017
OK, they don't want to refund it, but how difficult is to change the product the user owns from one version to another? That's lame...
The tweets from the source (banned by the way) don't say anything about refunds or about changing the licence to the correct one. Even in this thread we've had mixed accounts (some people that have been refunded by Nintendo, others haven't) so...
I asked if anyone had the issue here but no answer about it, so the article and the thread are based at the end of the day on hearsay. Nintendo's digital practices are bad, but I don't think it would be that hard for the license to be changed...

Aswitch

Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Yeah this feels pretty grimey. It's one thing for them to sell 2 versions of essentially the same game, but It's another to do the same with DLC and punish people considering how confusing this is for even gamers in the loop. They should've just bundled both DLC together or give you the correct one if they confirm you have the appropriate version.

Shiranui93

One Winged Slayer
Mar 7, 2018
It's Nintendo, no news here. As long as they can get away with it in any imaginable way, they won't change. They'd probably only change under extreme pressure. Legal pressure.

Porco Rosso

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Uh yeah, wtf. I haven't gone through all the pages here, but the cited tweets do not mention refunds according to a quick google translate.

Am I missing something here, or have both articles and a majority of seven pages of posters just... not checked their source whatsoever?

EDIT: and to be clear, the Nintendo Soup article directly makes a false claim regardless of Nintendo's typical policy. And regardless, they've been known to flex it as we've seen in the past.

I've been on every page saying this - it's completely fabricated. If it turns out to be true, that is 100% slimy. But there is 0 evidence except a banned source with no sourcing themselves. This thread shouldn't even be open.

Oct 27, 2017
NYC
If they do not have an automated process, and they do not have an outsourced support team, it costs money in human resources to process all the refunds manually.

However, it is dumb and should have gone away last generation:
• Jacking people by selling two versions of the same game
• Further making two versions of DLC
• Having no refund policies
• Having no tools for automated refunds

Yep, the way mainline Pokémon games are designed caused this, along with eshop regulations.

Points to greed, imo.

spad3

Oct 30, 2017
California
GameFreak - creates Bank that can recognize different Pokemon versions and allows content to be added/removed from selected version.

Also GameFreak - "Pokemon Sword Expansion and Pokemon Shield Expansion. They both have the same shit in it. Go fuck yourself"

Madao

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Panama
lol this is why i said there should be just 1 DLC set and that it enables the appropiate pokes depending on which version you own. this should not be hard. the DLC is the same for both versions so there's no reason it should be separate packages. it's nonsense they separated this.

(this was actually the true intention. make extra bucks from people messing up)

Jul 17, 2019
Regardless of whether this is true or not, I have to ask. How could anyone buy the wrong version? It literally tells you which version you're purchasing. There's no excuse as to why they got the wrong one.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Wait...the DLC isn't universal between the versions? So like, for example my mom who loves pokemon, bought the double pack last year, she ahs to buy the dlc FUCKING TWICE?

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
It feels we condemn Nintendo every time they do this, but we don't really keep the criticism going until the next thing happens. And then it starts again.

Arrahant

Nov 6, 2017
NL

I don't get it, what does Nintendo lose by being forthcoming? People who bought it wrongly would just buy the correct version after a refund.

And they clearly need to mark this better and/or have a warning before purchasing.

Bad business practice that does not add value for the consumer. Nintendo Support should at least be able to retract the license for the wrong DLC, and instate the correct one.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
So why exactly doesn't a single DLC purchase cover both games? I guess the answer is money, but come the fuck on, Nintendo (or Game Freak, or whoever the hell was in charge of this asinine decision).

May 19, 2020
Why should they? Can't people own their mistakes these days.
While I agree that you should make sure you are buying the right thing before you buy it most other digital storefronts have safeguards in place to prevent you buying certain DLCs and versions of a game if you own a license for the same game. There is no reason Nintendo can't implement this to only allow you to buy the particular DLC for your version.

Zemst

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't kept up with the news but for some reason I thought it was two separate dlc accessible to everyone not game specific dlcs, or do I have that wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.