• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
A friend of mine bought a neon JoyCon pack, because she got the gray Switch at launch, but didn't like it.
So I swapped my left blue JoyCon with her left red JoyCon, now I've got a full neon red Switch.

It looks pretty dope, I love it.

auhIGJN.jpg

Rl4Gp14.jpg

Also here's a pic of her full neon blue one

FzKdqQe.jpg

Bii

Oct 25, 2017
OK, the battery on this thing is doing my head in - it's not the runtime, it's the charging time. I just left it plugged into my power brick for an hour. My iPhone went from 20% charge to 70% in that time. My switch? 20% increase. Is this normal for anyone else? I'd be fine with 3 hours of gameplay if it didn't take 3 hours to fully charge as well...

It almost wouldn't turn on until I did a hard reboot so not sure if my battery is flaky or this is an issue for everyone.

20% increase after an hour? That is not normal. Are you using Nintendo's official AC adapter? Or maybe use another outlet? Just trying to rule out if it's the actual Switch's battery or not.

Aftermath

Oct 27, 2017
A friend of mine bought a neon JoyCon pack, because she got the gray Switch at launch, but didn't like it.
So I swapped my left blue JoyCon with her left red JoyCon, now I've got a full neon red Switch.

auhIGJN.jpg

Rl4Gp14.jpg

FzKdqQe.jpg

Looks so good, and cos I'm cheap,and didnt wanna fork out just yet for extra joycons, I have blue Joycon grip covers and a set of red on the way to pretend my grey Joycons are coloured ones, don't look quite as right as these though lol.

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
One accessory I'd like to see Nintendo release is a game card case that looks just like a standard game case but filled with slots for game cards. I have a case like that for my 3DS games which I got from Club Nintendo. This would be a nice Switch MyNintendo reward if Nintendo every took that program seriously.

Ogami Itto

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was gonna wait unti SMT came out but I'm weak and I decided to buy one now, my last Nintendo console was a GC and I never played a Zelda game. Got a switch and Zelda today, and I'm hyped for Xenoblade. Now about that PS4 backlog, oh boy.

Oct 26, 2017
Italy
I sold my Switch on April after beating Zelda because I needed cash. Today I finally bought it again, and OMG I missed this console so much.
Bought Mario, still had Shovel Knight digital and bought Zelda for the second time (I'm on my second run while waiting for the DLC)

My only contact with Nintendo was the GameBoy Colour (and Advance) and only Pokemon games. (BTW super hyped for the first Pokemon on Switch, even the last one on 3DS is so much different from the last one I played, I can't even imagine what it will be on the Switch)

After so many years I have finally played my first Zelda (and it became one of my favourite games of all time) and I'm playing my first Mario.
Right now, I'm in love with the Nintendo style and the concept behind the Switch.

Next purchases: Xenoblade 2 (but I'm waiting for the reviews because I'm not toally sold on the combat system) and maybe Mario Kart 8.
I was also playing Stardew Valley on PS4... but I might double dip.

PS Please Nintendo, give me Super Mario 3D World and Captain Toad TT remasters.

z1ggy

Oct 25, 2017
Argentina
Mine arrived last friday

bJINrzo.jpg

Great console so far. Zelda is much better than i expected.

I can´t get used to portable mode yet tho. Anyways, hows Sonic Mania port? Might be my next game.

Oct 27, 2017
I picked up the Super Mario edition Hybrid Cover from PowerA the other day and thought I would share some pics and my thoughts on it:

9EoJJeT.jpg

OMzdMOs.jpg

FUKux7O.jpg

The color looks nice in contrast with the grey joycon, I havent tried them with the Mario red joycon yet though I suspect it will look just as nice if not better. I also have the standard black hybrid cover and this one does not feel quite as nice that one does tbh. That one has more of a leathery feel and look and this one seems more plastic-y, although it does appear to be made from the same material. There's a mario themed pattern on the inside similiar to what you see on other mario themed accessories. The design on the front is printed, it's not embossed like the Nintendo Switch logo on the standard version is. It's also prone to showing dirt and scratches unlike the standard. Overall I'm not sure what to think of it, I might like the standard black version better.

I will say this though regardless of the style you choose I highly recommend buying a hybrid cover. It is super easy to apply and remove and it provides protection similiar to what you'd get with a clamshell design. It has been vital to keeping my Switch protected on the go, and it's a legitimate alternative to a screen protector, albeit it's not a replacement for one. It also doubles as an excellent stand with settings for multiple different angles.

Next I'm going to try out that really sweet leathery triforce version, if it ever comes back in stock.

edit: and yes I know my screen is filthy, it's that way for a reason. That's my back-up switch (it's a long story but rest assured I never intended to have a back-up Switch, it just sort of happened that way) and I've been using it as a guinnea pig to test various screen cleaning methods.

Last edited:

Vitor711

Oct 28, 2017
UK
Don't you leave it in the dock when you're not playing it?

Not when I'm travelling - dock is too bulky to take around with me on international trips.

20% increase after an hour? That is not normal. Are you using Nintendo's official AC adapter? Or maybe use another outlet? Just trying to rule out if it's the actual Switch's battery or not.

This was on a portable power brick so I'm fine with slightly slower charging. The thing is, if Nintendo quotes 3 and a half hours for a full charge, 30% per hour is actually normal charge speed.

THAT'S ATROCIOUS. I literally can't think of another piece of electronics that I own which is this slow to get juice.

Balbanes

Oct 25, 2017
I can´t get used to portable mode yet tho. Anyways, hows Sonic Mania port? Might be my next game.

I played it when it released and there was an issue with the home button becoming non responsive if you wanted to quit out, but it always worked for me and I think they've patched it. It looks great on the Switch screen.

Kaz Mk II

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've got the red Mario Switch now. I've been playing it and Stardew Valley on this thing for a week now. I've realized that I need a multiplayer game to round out my system for a while.

I love Mario and am growing to like Stardew but I think I need something I can play sort of competitively. So I'm deciding between Splatoon 2 and ARMs.

I can only get one for the foreseeable future since Xenoblade 2 is next.

Which would people recommend? I played and enjoyed splat 1 on Wii u, but ARMs looks kind of interesting. Hell, I'm considering Mario Kart 8 too.

Last edited:

Coricus

Oct 25, 2017
I've got the red Mario Switch now. I've been playing it and Stardew Valley on this thing for a week now. I've realized that I need a multiplayer game to round out my system for a while.

I love Mario and am growing to like Stardew but I think I need something I can play sort of competitively. So I'm deciding between Splatoon 2 and ARMs.

Which most people recommend? I played and enjoyed splat 1 on Wii u, but ARMs looks kind of interesting. Hell, I'm considering Mario Kart 8 too.
Well, I would spring for Splatoon 2, but I really dig Splatoon gameplay so you might want a second opinion.

We do have Squidboards, though. A little neglected, but it's at least a place. r/Splatoon lists tourneys once in a blue moon, too. In general as the larger franchise Splatoon will probably have more competitive lift, although nothing Smash Bros scale or anything like that.

Balbanes

Oct 25, 2017

Which would people recommend? I played and enjoyed splat 1 on Wii u, but ARMs looks kind of interesting. Hell, I'm considering Mario Kart 8 too.

Ultimately it would depend on if you like team based shooters or fighting games more, but with all things equal I would get Splatoon 2 if I were you.

Kaz Mk II

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ultimately it would depend on if you like team based shooters or fighting games more, but with all things equal I would get Splatoon 2 if I were you.

Yeah I'm leaning toward splatoon since I'm already familiar with it. I like fighting games too so ARMs would be up my alley. I'm just concerned it's fighting would get old too quick. Splatoon 2's new mode and weapons justifies it enough for me to be interested in getting it full price.

Valkrai

Oct 25, 2017
Mine arrived last friday

bJINrzo.jpg

Great console so far. Zelda is much better than i expected.

Sonic Mania is great on Switch. Just a little slowdown on the first special stage though

Balbanes

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I'm leaning toward splatoon since I'm already familiar with it. I like fighting games too so ARMs would be up my alley. I'm just concerned it's fighting would get old too quick. Splatoon 2's new mode and weapons justifies it enough for me to be interested in getting it full price.

I definitely think there is more content in Splatoon 2, especially if you like the single player stuff and Salmon Run.

auhIGJN.jpg

Rl4Gp14.jpg

FzKdqQe.jpg

Yeah I got the neon set and my Fiance got the grey set. Eventually she decided she liked the blues so I bought the opposite neon set and she's rocking the full blues and I have the full reds. They both look really good.

strata

Oct 27, 2017
I've bought a bunch of these but no company has made a perfect version yet imo.

The ones you've bought feel great, but the shoulders are mushy instead of feeling clicky. I also got a scuff on one of my joy con getting it in the case.
I like the Giotek ones (Gioteck Duo Grips for Nintedo Switch Joy-Cons https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01MZEDB5W/?tag=e100-21 ) but the hinge on the top makes hitting the shoulders hard if you have small hands.

These are the GOAT. I have 4 of them now. Very comfortable for how small the joy cons are, and I love playing Mario kart with them. The shoulder buttons work very well too, I've had zero issues with mine.

Nice thanks, I grabbed two for $10 so not expecting a whole lot, as long as they're an improvement over the included straps which it sounds like they are. Kinda concerned about scuffing but I guess I'll just have to be careful.

NightOnyx

Oct 25, 2017
I just got my Switch today from Amazon. Man, this thing lives up to the hype! I've been holding off for so long because I wanted the console to build up enough of a library, even though it was killing me not to play Zelda. However, with Mario coming out and both of them basically being praised as two of the best games in their series, I couldn't hold off anymore.

I ended up getting the Gray one, I would have liked to get the Mario bundle, but Amazon didnt have it in stock and I didnt feel like calling around town to see if any stores had them. The Gray Switch still looks very nice though. This is also the first time I have seen a Switch in person and it's even smaller than I expected, but it has a good look and feel to it, and the screen seems solid as well. Both Zelda and Mario seem awesome so far. I've only played a little bit of both, but I'm super impressed by them already. Nintendo really seems to have something special on their hands, and even after just one day, I can't recommend the console enough. I definitely understand waiting for more games if you're hesitant like I was, but if you're considering getting one, I would say go for it.

Mingoguaya

Oct 30, 2017
My 9 year old son has asked for a Switch for Christmas and he wants Mario Kart 8, Super Mario Odyssey, Splatoon 2 and Zelda. This is a $500+ gift! And the thing is that he is totally addicted to Overwatch on the X1 and I fear the Switch will be a thing for a while and then he will drop it for Overwatch again. Should I splurge or should I not give in? Decisions, decisions.

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
My 9 year old son has asked for a Switch for Christmas and he wants Mario Kart 8, Super Mario Odyssey, Splatoon 2 and Zelda. This is a $500+ gift! And the thing is that he is totally addicted to Overwatch on the X1 and I fear the Switch will be a thing for a while and then he will drop it for Overwatch again. Should I splurge or should I not give in? Decisions, decisions.
Maybe not give the kid all of those games at once? That's quite a lot O_O I feel that one game would be sufficient to start. Odyssey and Zelda are huge games, anyway. And Mario Kart and Splatoon are multiplayer and can be played indefinitely.

Mingoguaya

Oct 30, 2017
Maybe not give the kid all of those games at once? That's quite a lot O_O I feel that one game would be sufficient to start. Odyssey and Zelda are huge games, anyway. And Mario Kart and Splatoon are multiplayer and can be played indefinitely.
Yeah or just get him the system and Mario and have all of his aunts/uncles get him the rest of the games. And if he stops playing the system, I'll keep it for myself.

Deschain

User banned at own request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

If you can afford it get it for him, it all comes down to finances.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
Was going to make a thread about this, but seems I'm still a Junior here...

Don't know whether to get Doom or Skyrim for my November game. I've finished Oddysey and want something distinctly non-Nintendo. I love both Skyrim and Doom immensely.

I guess I haven't played Doom quite as many times as Skyrim... but Skyrim would last me way longer.

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium

If you can find it, the Mario Odyssey Switch bundle would be perfect. Maybe throw in MK for a multiplayer game but I wouldn't give him everything at once. Definitely not Zelda and Mario at the same time because these are huge time sink games, best take 'em one at the time. Whatever you pick, your kid's gonna be happy :p

addyb

Oct 27, 2017
I just can't stop playing Binding of Isaac on mine. I recently bought Mario Odyssey, Disgaea 5, Steamworld dig 2, Snake Pass and Mario Kart and yet Isaac is keeping me away from them all at the moment.

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
This was on a portable power brick so I'm fine with slightly slower charging. The thing is, if Nintendo quotes 3 and a half hours for a full charge, 30% per hour is actually normal charge speed.

THAT'S ATROCIOUS. I literally can't think of another piece of electronics that I own which is this slow to get juice.
I believe the problem is the power brick you are using for charging. In order to charge faster than what you're getting, it needs to have certain specifications, you can't just take any power brick hat works for something you have and expect the same results.
Ideally you'd need a charger that can do 15-17W with USB-C PD (Output:5V/3A)

Deleted member 19218

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Bought these last week along with Mario Kart 8 and I am in love.

I had big doubts for the console but in Japan I have no time for a PS4 or an Xbox One. The Vita was my only system however support for that is slowly going away.

20171028_154553.jpg

20171028_154610.jpg

20171101_113750.jpg

Elem

Oct 27, 2017
I just can't stop playing Binding of Isaac on mine. I recently bought Mario Odyssey, Disgaea 5, Steamworld dig 2, Snake Pass and Mario Kart and yet Isaac is keeping me away from them all at the moment.

It's a shame the digital version is so expensive here in the UK. I've tallied up hundreds of hours in Isaac on other platforms, but would love it on the Switch. Hope it appears in a sale with a better price at some point.

addyb

Oct 27, 2017
It's a shame the digital version is so expensive here in the UK. I've tallied up hundreds of hours in Isaac on other platforms, but would love it on the Switch. Hope it appears in a sale with a better price at some point.

Yeah I bought mine digital (I'm also UK) can't complain though with the hours I've sunk in. Must be over a 100.

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Bought these last week along with Mario Kart 8 and I am in love.

I had big doubts for the console but in Japan I have no time for a PS4 or an Xbox One. The Vita was my only system however support for that is slowly going away.

20171028_154553.jpg

Damn that's a beautiful cover, even better than the EU one. Makes me want to buy a Switch all over again.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
Yeah, I love the game but no matter how much content they've added it's categorically not worth £40 when it's half the price (or less) on other platforms. They're not getting away with it with me, I'll wait it out for a substantial price drop.

PaulLFC

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I love the game but no matter how much content they've added it's categorically not worth £40 when it's half the price (or less) on other platforms. They're not getting away with it with me, I'll wait it out for a substantial price drop.
Same here, the game and DLC appears to be available for £19 on Steam, and that's without any discounts. I feel bad enough that I'm considering paying 40 quid for Skyrim when I already own it on PC, so I'm not paying near double the price here as well. It feels like the price has been set to price gouge Switch owners given what it's retailing for on other platforms.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
Same here, the game and DLC appears to be available for £19 on Steam, and that's without any discounts. I feel bad enough that I'm considering paying 40 quid for Skyrim when I already own it on PC, so I'm not paying near double the price here as well. It feels like the price has been set to price gouge Switch owners given what it's retailing for on other platforms.
I'm trading my PS4 copy of Skyrim in, so at least in some way I'm getting my money back... would trade in my 360 copy for it but guessing it won't add much!

Aftermath

Oct 27, 2017
Omg i just played Splatoon 2 with Split Joy-Con motion controls for the first time and i was so much better, for some reason i tried the game with motion handheld mode but Joycons attached and also a wired controller which was non motion and the game didnt click with me it felt off or weird

Well today I tried the Split Joycon controls, and oooh boy what a huuuuuge difference i was able to target better, for some reason after owning the Switch for 3 months this was the first time i tried it and I think i am so happy with them, now i wish doom was having that ability, i know i read earlier that both resident evil revelations games are having motion controls.