• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Polynaut

Oct 27, 2017
Interesting. How would it transfer the island if the user transfer deletes the user? Wouldn't that then also delete the island save?
That would have been my guess as well, but apparently the Animal Crossing save is completely separate, and tied directly to the console. When you do a User/Save transfer, if there are no users left on the Source console, it creates a generic "User" account, that you can then use to access the Island Transfer tool and do an island transfer.

This is what I'm planning on doing during my lunch break, and I'm just going by the guide on Nintendo's support site as well as Nintendo Life's guide.

It definitely is confusing and not obvious without the online instructions.

zen1990x

Jul 1, 2019
requiring the AC adapter to be connected to do a transfer when the only AC adpater in the box is connected to the dock means its a total PITA if you want to do it handheld. and you need *both* systems to be connected to the AC adapter.

Hoping my powerbank can fool one of them at least and use the adapter wiht the OLED for the other one
i just plugged it in until the notice went away, then you can unplug and put it in the other switch.

zen1990x

Jul 1, 2019
So what is the consensus - glass protector on top of the plastic one? I have some amfilms already at the house ready to go, but not sure how glass on plastic on glass would effect quality
I tried putting am film glass one on and i don't know if it was just me and i didn't allow the screen protector to bond properly but it looked a lot duller, so i just took it off. Now that it is glass i am not going to bother putting one on. if the plastic film ever scratches up i will remove it. im sure it will be fine and is just applied incase any kids were to drop it and whatnot.

croc

Oct 27, 2017
Indianapolis
So we can do transfer first then the animal crossing transfer after?
yep that's how I did it. After you transfer your user/save data the AC/transfer tool are still on the old switch. Then you'll have to connect your Nintendo account to another account on the old switch to be able to open the transfer tool there. Then download AC on the new switch to be able to proceed lol. Extremely convoluted.

Also a heads up for other people transferring vids/screenshots to the new switch. After you complete transferring everything else and you swap the SD card over, when it deletes everything on the card it deletes everything EXCEPT your pictures and videos (says this in a notice below but still sounds kind of vague). So if all of that is on your SD card then there's actually no transfer to be done with it, just put it in the new switch, hit delete, and you're good to go.

zen1990x

Jul 1, 2019
I tried applying a tempered glass screen protector but it sucks badly, it is super dirty and smudgy on the surface and makes the screen look like crap. The brand is ivoler, just in case anybody was wondering.

I'm considering just not using a screen protector this time around.
It was the same when i applied an Amfilm one, which is probably one of the most recommended protectors. Looked really bad.

New Donker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
I tried putting am film glass one on and i don't know if it was just me and i didn't allow the screen protector to bond properly but it looked a lot duller, so i just took it off. Now that it is glass i am not going to bother putting one on. if the plastic film ever scratches up i will remove it. im sure it will be fine and is just applied incase any kids were to drop it and whatnot.

That was my fear. I want that screen to shine. No protector it is!

boxter432

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
well shit. I bought one. white, pickup next week at BB. now I can go trade in my OG and Lite to compensate.

SRTtoZ

Dec 8, 2017
I'm installing all my older Switch games. How do I download the cloud data? Is it automatic?

Captain of Outer Space

Come Sale Away With Me
Oct 28, 2017
Did my system transfer from launch switch to OLED before remembering about the dumb Animal Crossing situation, so I just had to log back into the original switch, download the game, relink the save to the default user, download the transfer tool, and did the same on the OLED to bring the save back over. Not too hard, but annoying that Nintendo's dumb limitations on this game require a special app instead of letting people do what they need with it.

Lord Fanny

Apr 25, 2020
That sucks, sorry to hear :-(

Just so I can learn from this, what process did you follow, and what were you "supposed" to do to avoid this? I'm getting my Switch OLED today and want to precisely follow all of whatever the correct steps are.

For example, does this guide say all the right things? I'd hope so but want to be sure:

Hmm, I think I followed all these steps. I even watched a GameXplain showing the whole process. The only thing I can think of is that when I first started, the OLeD couldn't find the old Switch and I backed out and did the transfer screen again. It found it the second time. It's all that I can think of that maybe messed up the process. Everything else worked fine, got all my user data, my digital library is there to download. But all my saves are gone

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
The issue with the way they've gone is now if your kids drop it the glass on the OLED is going to crack instead of the easily replaceable glass screen protector.

So I would be very careful with it now, screen protector or not

Datrael

Shinra Employee
Oct 25, 2017
Yup. The screen under the protector is glass. It seems like a typical nintendo being cautious kinda thing.

It was the same when i applied an Amfilm one, which is probably one of the most recommended protectors. Looked really bad.
I wasted two of them to make sure I didn't just apply the first one incorrectly. Also, I'm weary of putting an aditional plastic screen protector on top of the already applied one.

The dock doesn't seem to touch the screen since the screen seems a bit receeded and the bezels are a bit raised. So I think this time I'm gonna sport it without a protector.

That was my fear. I want that screen to shine. No protector it is!
Pretty much night and day for me. Without it the screen looks way better, at least with my screen protectors.

Richiek

Nov 2, 2017
I'm waiting on line at the Nintendo NY store and they said they have plenty of OLED Switches. They never let me down.

ThisIsMyDogKyle

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Did we get anything definitive about Vivid mode vs. Normal mode? Is vivid just oversaturating the image?
Digital Foundry said it might be less color accurate, but they generally like leaving it on, it's a personal preference thing. So if it does oversaturate I can't imagine it's too bad otherwise I don't see DF liking it.

Oct 25, 2017
México
Well, this sounds like a plan.

I will be returning the amFilm protectors I ordered.

Ashodin

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Durham, NC
PXL_20211008_184803348.jpg

It's time.

kodax_shc

Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
I mentioned this in another post, but you shouldn't have to manually transfer save by save. You should be able to do a full User/Save transfer, then use the AC Island Transfer tool AFTER the transfer to transfer over your island to the new console.

I see. It says to add your user data back to the original switch after completing the system transfer. Then you can use the island transfer tool.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
what the fuck was the point of the user transfer if it didnt transfer my console settings and more importantly game history >_>

Molecule

Nov 2, 2017
I have two Pro Controllers, but I play mostly in handheld mode (99% of the time).

I'm thinking on selling my Pro controllers to get two pairs of Binboks instead. What do you think?
I've never used those but I saw them when I was researching which ones to go with. The battery thing wasn't something that really interested me personally, I cared more about comfortability. I decided to go with the Hori because of Kevin Kenson's video about it. Also, I have an 8bitdo sn30pro+ for when I play docked but I mostly play handheld.

Oct 25, 2017
México
I've never used those but I saw them when I was researching which ones to go with. The battery thing wasn't something that really interested me personally, I cared more about comfortability. I decided to go with the Hori because of Kevin Kenson's video about it. Also, I have an 8bitdo sn30pro+ for when I play docked but I mostly play handheld.
I would love to get the Hori ones, but no gyro and no rumble...

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
That is the recommended path, which I'll be doing in a couple hours.

It's really fucked up, honestly.

download the animal crossing transfer app first otherwise you could get stuck if you don't have a profile attached to a Nintendo account on the source

source: me about four hours ago

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Is the AC adapter identical? My OG switch is threaded behind my cupboards so it would be easier to just swap the dock over and keep the charger and hdmi cable (and then sell the new ones with the old switch

Deleted member 9330

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
download the animal crossing transfer app first otherwise you could get stuck if you don't have a profile attached to a Nintendo account on the source

source: me about four hours ago

Definitely the plan, but I thought I read that you need an active Nintendo account ANYWAY, even if the app is already downloaded? Anyone confirm?

Oct 26, 2017
I think I missed the memo - is there a screen protector on the oled model by default out of the box? I applied an amfilm tempered glass one but looking very closely I do see another raised layer underneath it peeking out from the edges. Is this confirmed as a user removable layer?

TornadoDDT

Alt-Account
Banned
Aug 25, 2021
Games really look stunning on this display. Tried Lumines and Fast RMX and they are so crispy and vibrant.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
I think I missed the memo - is there a screen protector on the oled model by default out of the box? I applied an amfilm tempered glass one but looking very closely I do see another raised layer underneath it peeking out from the edges. Is this confirmed as a user removable layer?
It's non-removable.
It's more for keeping the glass together if it shatters. You can put a screen protector over it.

hanshen

Jun 24, 2018
Chicago, IL

You basically made a glass sandwich...
www.theverge.com

PSA: Don’t peel off the protective cover on your OLED Switch’s glass screen

You can still use a regular screen protector on top.

Ocirus

Dec 4, 2017
Someone just told me about the layer, thankfully I have yet to apply a screen protector. Would also like clarification on this. If I had to guess I'd say it's probably just a super cheap film to prevent visible scratches from the dock? I'm sure they don't want to go through that mess again.

EDIT: damn you guys are quick, already answered.

Last edited:

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
Any way to transfer more than one account from the old switch? I created a secondary account when I restarted Xenoblade 2 since that game doesn't offer multiple profiles. I've got 80 hours logged on that playthrough but I don't see a way to bring that profile and save over the OLED model after I imported the primary profile on my account.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
Definitely the plan, but I thought I read that you need an active Nintendo account ANYWAY, even if the app is already downloaded? Anyone confirm?
Yeah, it's really stupid.
I ended up transferring my user over, realising I couldn't open the AC transfer app without a Nintendo account, logging back in on my old Switch and then transferring the data.
It's a very bad system.

Kentsui

Oct 26, 2017
One cool perk of the new kickstand is that if you put it all the way up and put the console at a slight angle on your table, you can use the charge port :o

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
I can confirm that the new screen is much much bigger.

nTzC2QA.jpg

I really hope they patch in that we can remove these stupid borders (and profile icon) now where the OLED is a thing.

I'm not one of those people who are crazy scared about burn it, I rather roll my eyes on reading about that, but, constant on screen stuff like this is in fact a real potential problem if you play it a lot, and with whole services having the same border, SNES, NES, potentially N64 and Genesis, you're really provoking a burn in.

th1nk

Nov 6, 2017
I really hope they patch in that we can remove these stupid borders (and profile icon) now where the OLED is a thing.

I'm not one of those people who are crazy scared about burn it, I rather roll my eyes on reading about that, but, constant on screen stuff like this is in fact a real potential problem if you play it a lot, and with whole services having the same border, SNES, NES, potentially N64 and Genesis, you're really provoking a potential burn in.

Not to mention they look terrible.

Mantorok

Mar 8, 2018
Really digging the more abrasive feel on the back of this. Also Vivid seems kind of strong, is Standard the way forward or just get used to VIvid?

Plubio

Nov 12, 2019
Spain
@ Screen protectors: weird as I installed one from amFilm and looked perfectly fine for me (and I used the Switch a bit before) :/

Mirev

Jun 8, 2018
I mentioned this in another post, but you shouldn't have to manually transfer save by save. You should be able to do a full User/Save transfer, then use the AC Island Transfer tool AFTER the transfer to transfer over your island to the new console.

Yes, everything worked fine to me, easier then the transfer I made between switch and switch lite

//ARCANUM

Oct 25, 2017
anyone having an issue where their Switch OLED isn't staying connected to wi-fi, and thus stopping downloads when in sleep mode? I've got a big list of games set to download, but when the thing goes to sleep it seems to lose connection. I've got it plugged in to the power brick, not docked. Never experienced this on my previous switch.