• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lwill

Oct 28, 2017
None of that would be their concern, in truth. A sale is a sale.

Select developers have access to a dev kit with DLSS features. The amount with access is limited & that has been a point of contention with info I had vs what reports were suggesting -- it's also one of they motivators in MVG's doubt for a 2021 release. Too many variables weren't adding up in the equation; specifically, the timeline wasn't adding up due to the uncertain status of whether or not the Soc had been taped out.

However, keep in mind that we aren't getting hourly, daily, or even weekly updates on this stuff. So the info can easily be out of date. Given Bloomberg's track record, there was little reason to doubt their report -- though I had spoken against various past reports numerous times because the info conflicted with my own. Prior to E3, I had heard from some contacts that they had anticipated a showing at E3 & it seemed to match the Bloomberg report; but I grew dissatisfied with the info & retracted it because I had low confidence in it after checking with additional contacts. Eurogamer also cited their own contacts about an E3 showing. So there was some rumblings permeating at the time.

The OLED model is not the hardware I was hearing about last yr & I would assume that hardware is the same hardware Bloomberg has reported on -- the 4K with DLSS functionality. For whatever reason it appears the 4K DLSS hardware got conflated with the OLED model -- could be due to each using OLED screens & assumption per contacts/sources.

Thanks for clarifying this, and you made a good point. Moving forward, Nintendo may continue to use OLED screens so there will be an overlap. DF even humored the idea of them going back to LED with the pro after this OLED edition, and that would definitely be ridiculous.

Dekim

Oct 28, 2017
In retrospect, expecting Nintendo to release a new Switch with a new SoC during a global chip shortage where even automotive giants like Ford can't find chips for their cars was probably a big, red flag.

Oct 29, 2017
Are you complaining about the right thing? The Switch always had bluetooth, that's how the joy-cons work (that might also be how ad-hoc multiplayer works). Do you mean running bluetooth audio (headphones and speakers), i.e the system with proprietary codecs and limited bandwidth when shared with other devices due to the channel limit on Bluetooth connections?

Yes, meant the headphone and speakers without having to use an adapter for it, and they're charging $50 more than it retailed for, 4 and a bit years ago with the most minimum of bumps for internal mem and a sub HD oled is a kick in the balls.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
Well here's another issue. I use the DOBE controller on my Switch and it's really great:

H2cba9fb3aefe4779a61741f6db52b026V.jpg

The problem is, it fits quite snugly, and the Switch OLED is exactly one-tenth of an inch longer than the original model. I honestly don't think it will fit. What a fucking shitshow.

btkadams

Oct 25, 2017
In retrospect, expecting Nintendo to release a new Switch with a new SoC during a global chip shortage where even automotive giants like Ford can't find chips for their cars was probably a big, red flag.
I recall the rumours addressing this though and claiming that Nintendo wouldn't be competing for the higher end chips that are in short supply.

Edward850

Software & Netcode Engineer at Nightdive Studios
Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
So how is it that a small Bluetooth adapter add-on solves the problem? Also, how is it like every ipad for almost a decade is able to achieve that + controller support, while nintendo can't figure out how to do it with their latest revision?
Because it's a dedicated independent device. Hardware isn't the only issue here, software is as well, and making the software micromanage the bandwidth of multiple unrelated devices off of the one radio is a real PitA. Note how you can't use all 4 gamepads (joycon pairs?) at once while using ad-hoc multiplayer at the same time, and now you're introducing the same problem with another completely separate user device as well, as well as the licensing costs per switch console for the codecs.

Night

Late to the party
Nov 1, 2017
Clearwater, FL
I sold my switch and games I'd beaten already for a very decent sum. I was putting that aside for the Switch 1.5 or whatever. I won't buy this though. Yeesh.

Butch

Oct 27, 2017
Well here's another issue. I use the DOBE controller on my Switch and it's really great:

The problem is, it fits quite snugly, and the Switch OLED is exactly one-tenth of an inch longer than the original model. I honestly don't think it will fit. What a fucking shitshow.

I don't think I'm following. How does the new revision of the Switch not fitting in there contribute to make this announcement a shitshow?

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
So here's my conundrum, I just bought a new Switch from a coworker (he modded it with a cooler shell) and I haven't listed my old one on eBay yet.

Would it be in my best interest to list this on eBay sooner than the release of the OLED? Or wait until around the release date of the OLED?

I honestly wouldn't worry about it too much. Switchs in good and complete condition will still sell upwards of $260 right now and a lot of times higher. The prices rarely fluctuate except during shortages which there is not one currently. I doubt the prices will fluctuate much between now and then.

However, I'd list it immediately if possible for the best price. You don't want to get caught in the flood of Switchs on the market as everybody lists their old one because they want a cheap upgrade. Granted it is still early and some people will hold on to their Switchs until the last minute since they don't have a current replacement, but, if you don't have that reason to wait, I'd sell now.

Or if you want to play the long game, wait to see what the supply is like on this thing. if nobody can get one, there might be a higher demand for the original. But again, I don't see much fluctuation either way.

Common Knowledge

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly this same exact model just with the addition of bluetooth audio would've changed my whole perspective of it for the better.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
I don't think I'm following. How does the new revision of the Switch not fitting in there contribute to make this announcement a shitshow?

Because making a Switch revision with even remotely different dimensions is an obviously awful idea? It was already a shitshow given the extremely meager improvements for a ridiculously high price (here in Australia, even if you trade your Switch, the OLED model will still set you back $300, which is frankly nuts). Pointlessly increasing the length juuuust enough to render the best accessory I've found to replace drifting Joy-Con completely useless while seemingly not doing anything to combat drift is just the rotten cherry on top.

Waffle

Oct 28, 2017
Do we have any idea when the preorders are going up?

EDIT: I didn't see there was a thread dedicated to preorders. Please disregard

Milk

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So does this mean a 'Switch Pro' is at least two years away then? It would seem kinda scummy to me to toss this out there to let people clamor for, then release the actual Switch people were waiting for in just one year.

JoJoBae

Oct 25, 2017
Layton, UT
The DSi XL came out less than a year before the 3DS came out. We might still see the Upgrade/successor next year even with this releasing. (I'll be getting it though as I only have a lite currently)

AkIRA_22

Oct 29, 2017
Won't the battery be good on this due to the screen being OLED???

It will add a small, I mean incredibly small, benefit, which is immediately consumed by the enlarged screen size.

An OLED on a phone has more impact because the screen is a major consumer of power, most phone apps are fairly rudimentary. But a Switch is a console that consumes big power in the SOC, massively outstripping the display as a consumer of energy.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So does this mean a 'Switch Pro' is at least two years away then? It would seem kinda scummy to me to toss this out there to let people clamor for, then release the actual Switch people were waiting for in just one year.
we don't know. could be next year, could be 2023

May 19, 2020
look as a nintendo insider i just don't know about this switch pro i've been teasing for months. i think you guys just misunderstood. i'll go into this misunderstanding in detail on my podcast exclusive to my patreon backers. also donate to my patreon

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017

switch pro would be a switch 2 at this point. 2023 is six years after launch of the switch.

game boy: 1989 - 2002 (1995: vb, 1998: gbc, 2001: gba)
gba: 2001-2007 (2004: ds)
ds: 2004-2012 (2011: 3ds)
3ds: 2011-2019 (2017: nsw)

nes: 1985-1994 (1991: snes)
snes: 1991-1998 (1996: n64)
n64: 1996-2001 (2001: gc)
gc: 2001-2007 (2006: wii)
wii: 2007-2015 (2012: wii u)
wii u: 2012-2017 (2017: nsw)

even systems that lasted a long time usually got a replacement around six years in. that includes the game boy, which kinda refused to die. the longest nintendo went without a replacement in the console scene was famicom to super famicom - but they had also released the famicom disc system, and had been planning on a hardware boost upgrade to the famicom before it became obvious that it wasn't a long-term solution.

Last edited:

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
look as a nintendo insider i just don't know about this switch pro i've been teasing for months. i think you guys just misunderstood. i'll go into this misunderstanding in detail on my podcast exclusive to my patreon backers. also donate to my patreon

can you send me a link and also how much do you want

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
Is it more advanced than ps5 and series x?
It isn't more advanced than the Switch.
It's the same Switch with better screen

I think, the original post was a reference/joke about this thread:

www.resetera.com

If the Super Nintendo Switch supports DLSS, it is going to be more technologically advanced than Series X and PS5

EDIT: editing because of people generalizing as "Nintendo fans". First of all, I'm not a "Nintendo fan". I do like Nintendo games, but I don't even own a Switch, even though I have in the past (I no longer do and I'm not interested in getting another one, not even a future Super Switch). In any...

Butch

Oct 27, 2017
Because making a Switch revision with even remotely different dimensions is an obviously awful idea? It was already a shitshow given the extremely meager improvements for a ridiculously high price (here in Australia, even if you trade your Switch, the OLED model will still set you back $300, which is frankly nuts). Pointlessly increasing the length juuuust enough to render the best accessory I've found to replace drifting Joy-Con completely useless while seemingly not doing anything to combat drift is just the rotten cherry on top.

I'm still not sure why you expected the revision to mantain the same dimensions or why changing the size would be an awful Idea, that's a bit of a weird expectation tbh

Oct 27, 2017
Hilarious to look back at some of the pre E3 "Developers want to show off their Switch Pro games at E3 so a reveal is imminent."

dsosarod

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017

You'll have no problem, the Switch itself is the same size, what they did to get to the 7 inch screen was to reduce the bezels.

Or am I getting this wrong?

rAndom

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Just measure your original switch with joycons and confirm the size if it really is 0.1" shorter than the OLED model. The dimensions given before is an approximation after all, and the 0.1 difference may just be physical tolerance.