Zor

Oct 30, 2017
But people told me Mario and Rabbids looked to good for the normal switch

Yeah, no, see that was a joke. Jason deleted his tweet on it because it was a joke, he wasn't trying to actually say that it was running on a Pro, even though that's exactly what he was implying, it was just a joke.

jpv_13

Oct 30, 2017
In reality this probably makes the most sense.

-Nintendo continues to be able to milk the current ecosystem that is still seeing very strong sales.

-Allows them to try to get some people to double dip, while having to worry less about chip shortages since it's leveraging the same chip set as the OG.

-Generate some hype with a new model around Q4 to help with the Holiday Period, might mean they put the OG model a bit more on sale as well.

Then I could see them going with a full Switch 2.0 launch in March of 2023. Which would be 18 months after this launch and 6 years after the OG Switch launched. Aligns with Wii / Wii U which launched 6 years apart, the DS and 3DS were 7 years apart.

LetsEatSnacks

Oct 18, 2020
United States
I don't get why some people are saying that buying this model is a no-brainer for those who don't already have a Switch.

I'm one of these people, I was looking to buy one and even saving money for it, but this doesn't make any sense. The reasons why I never bought the original model were mainly:
- Really old hardware that doesn't even play its own games very well without dropping resolution and/or framerates to unacceptable numbers and, most importantly
- The joycon drift, which is essentially an extra cost in the long run for anybody who owns a Switch and wants to stay sane while playing their very expensive Nintendo games.

None of that changed, it costs more for basically no reason and if I'm going to play portable then the bigger screen will just make all its faults even worse to look at. I won't buy it for the same reason why I wouldn't buy a Xbox One in the year 2021 to play all the old xbox games that I want to play, if I have the option of going for a much better Series S.

I'll keep waiting for the Switch 2 or whatever, this is a huge waste of my already devalued money.

I'm in the exact same boat as you. When I first heard about the announcement this morning I was literally saying, "finally, I can buy a Switch" and then did a deeper dive to find out how minor the upgrades were and immediately did a 180. I experienced the exact same thing when the Switch Lite was announced. This is a huge bummer :(

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I hope that now threads about some upcoming games like No More Heroes 3 and such can have less of the "this really needs Switch pro" crowd infesting half the pages.
It'll be a big upgrade of the discourse level.

Ghgghggh

Banned
May 2, 2018
At this point they should just release Switch 2 Holiday 2022- March 2023, w BOTW2, and backwards compatible with all Switch 1 games. Stronger hardware means not all games would be compatiboe with Switch 1, but if a game can be , it will be. Like iphone 1 to 2- which nintendo has stated would be the model they would be inspired by.

Edit: i just bought a switch lite this week. Ill be getting this Oled switch as well. I also have 2 og switch for some reason. I FREAKING love the switch lol.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
There clearly needs to be a stricter vetting process for insiders.
I think that's simply not possible without having insider information themselves. For example I have family members, who got information of car manufacturer. One is a slightly higher up and another one works for a company developing software for a car manufacturer and sometimes gets brought over in their R&D department to work locally. He has all the access to the databases and even walked through the buildings where future cars are planned and so forth.

So I probably could get vetted, even though I don't know what the vetting process entails. But as I understand it the vetting process doesn't proof the creditably of the information. It's just there to proof "Hey, the person could have information, because he has access to X or knows Y. ". That seems to be the extend of it.

I think the solution has to be a tier system or something else, which tracks their track record without using any loophole like plans can change. Make no mistake they can, but it's difficult to know what info changed and what didn't, so a tier system would be redundant. So with that said, I would like something along those lines...
  • Vage information (something is happening in the next 50 years at Nintendo) -> 0 points
  • Semi detailed information -> 1 point
  • Detailed info -> 3 points
  • Got information wrong -> -2 points
They than get put into tiers depending on their point and if they got less than 0 points after being tracked for 5 rumors, then they'll get banned or at least un-verified. I think banning is harsh.

Aleman

Dec 20, 2018
My LG OLED TV doesn't look great with 30 FPS games (due to lack of motion blur?), wonder if the Switch screen does any better.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
Won't change much when the person you're fighting is using the OG Switch's shitty Wifi.

Pretty much. A LAN Port is worthless when tens of millions of Switch owners play exclusively over WiFi. The stability and quality of an online match is only as strong as the weakest connection.

It would have been nice if Nintendo could have put ancient technology like this in the dock back in 2017. I guess that was just asking too much though.

Hermii

Oct 27, 2017
I expected HDR support more than anything so I'm a bit sad that's not included.
OLED and bigger screen is cool though, so I'm still gonna get this.
Yea it's baffling that they made a new dock, and didn't include 4K output and hdr support. Nintendo's gonna Nintendo I suppose.

MuteMap

Apr 22, 2021
Well, I guess Bloomberg reports are now made by a bunch of nerds on the internet who got carried away with misinformation. From multiple sources, apparently.

FFS

Well they are now. Rumors are rumors, not leaks. People never learn that "insider info" can always be unreliable, and even the most trustworthy sources can get things wrong.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
I think that's simply not possible without having insider information themselves. For example I have family members, who got information of car manufacturer. One is a slightly higher up and another one works for a company developing software for a car manufacturer and sometimes gets brought over in their R&D department to work locally. He has all the access to the databases and even walked through the buildings where future cars are planned and so forth.

So I probably could get vetted, even though I don't know what the vetting process entails. But as I understand it the vetting process doesn't proof the creditably of the information. It's just there to proof "Hey, the person could have information, because he has access to X or knows Y. ". That seems to be the extend of it.

I think the solution has to be a tier system or something else, which tracks their track record without using any loophole like plans can change. Make no mistake they can, but it's difficult to know what info changed and what didn't, so a tier system would be redundant. So with that said, I would like something along those lines...
  • Vage information (something is happening in the next 50 years at Nintendo) -> 0 points
  • Semi detailed information -> 1 point
  • Detailed info -> 3 points
  • Got information wrong -> -2 points
They than get put into tiers depending on their point and if they got less than 0 points after being tracked for 5 rumors, then they'll get banned or at least un-verified. I think banning is harsh.
There was a very solid verification process at the old place. I don't know what all it entailed, but we rarely had anything like what happened today.

Oct 25, 2017
UnhappyCoordinatedBoaconstrictor-max-1mb.gif

Plum

May 31, 2018
I think there was a lot of misguided energy based on this thread. You wanted a Switch 2 not a Pro Revision. That will come soon. The normal Switch still sells a lot, games still sell a lot. The market isn't Era unfortunately and I think we forgot there was a global pandemic that hit hard and caused alot of economic apocalypses. Era might not have felt it, but many just don't have the disposable income. I suppose you can point to PS5 to prove otherwise….but I'm not an analyst.

Nah, people wanted a Switch Pro

Like the PS4 Pro
Or the Xbox One X (i.e. the Xbox One Pro).

They wanted something that would allow titles struggling to run at even 720p/30fps to run at higher resolutions and higher framerates, not something that represents an entire generational leap. Considering it's been nearly half a decade I don't think that's too big a thing to want.

And, I mean, if you're gonna talk about people not having disposable income then why not criticise the fact that this, unlike the above two consoles, does not represent an overall decrease in price for the Switch? The Switch is still $300 4.5 years after release and the OLED model is only adding to that price instead of replacing it.

Rzarekta

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Why? Nintendo never promised a 4k Switch. The only mention of a '4K'or 'Pro' model is from a bunch of nerds on the internet who got carried away with misinformation.
It's not about who said what - Nintendo SHOULD upgrade their current console, it's a joke compared to the competition from a tech stand point and the games library is hurting because of it. So many more games would be ported to the Switch if they made a modest upgrade to the specs, like everyone has been expecting due to necessity. And don't come at me with the "but they don't need to, the current Switch is selling like crazy" because I am a consumer, not an investor.

Jun 24, 2021
Can we stop derail all threads now with "waiting for Switch Pro"?
YES PLEASE! I don't want to hear it anymore. Especially that stupid made up name Switch Pro name that stuck and wasn't even that much of a "Pro" anyways.

And I don't want this to mean now threads will be littered with "waiting for the not even rumored Switch 2".

zashga

Losing is fun
Oct 28, 2017
Pretty disappointed there's no spec increase, but on the other hand I don't have to stress about finding one now. Knock yourselves out, scalpers.

Deleted member 69942

User requested account closure
Banned
May 22, 2020
It's not about who said what - Nintendo SHOULD upgrade their current console, it's a joke compared to the competition from a tech stand point and the games library is hurting because of it. So many more games would be ported to the Switch if they made a modest upgrade to the specs, like everyone has been expecting due to necessity. And don't come at me with the "but they don't need to, the current Switch is selling like crazy" because I am a consumer, not an investor.

Okay, but as a consumer you already bought a Switch I suppose? You are probably buying some Switch exclusives? So then you are still buying.

Kane

Oct 28, 2017
Nintendo just never ceases to disappoint, lol.
Thanks for saving me at least 350€, Nintendo.

Rzarekta

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Okay, but as a consumer you already bought a Switch I suppose? You are probably buying some Switch exclusives? So then you are still buying.
What? You are talking about revenue for Nintendo? That's my point, I don't give a shit. I'm a consumer, not an investor, so my complaints against Nintendo as a consumer are summed up as "Nintendo generally sucks". Whether I buy some of their products or not doesn't change what my general opinion is.

SpaceBridge

Oct 31, 2017

But they are selling like crazy? Why should they upgrade? The market is telling them that they are making profits as it is? Why put out a more expensive revision? You might want a revision, Era might want a revision but the laws of supply and demand say otherwise.

And in regards to ports? Well let's be honest since GameCube days nobody has been counting on ports to justify their purchase over a ps5.

I genuinely think people are getting emotional over this. Of that oled version costs $350USD (can't imagine what it costs in Canada or EU) can you imagine the price tag for a pro?

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
My LG OLED TV doesn't look great with 30 FPS games (due to lack of motion blur?), wonder if the Switch screen does any better.
From my experience, that's only really a noticeable problem with larger screens like OLED TVs. Never noticed motion issues with phones or dedicated handhelds like my OLED Vita.

We_care_a_lot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Summerside PEI
Awh how cute you all complaining... you know what will happen?

Most of you will see the OLED screen for the first time... and poof your bank account is drained. Nintendo got you, again 😂

Ninty knows we all weak

Honestly I would open my wallet in a split second for this except for one thing

I've owned 4 sets of joycons, one set I reserved specifically for only playing one game, and ALL FOUR got drift. 2 of those sets I sent into nintendo for repair and both had drift again within six months. I am not a heavy user, i have a split pad pro so the joycons don't even get used that much, yet they still all got drift.

I'm not really complaining here, I chose to keep buying more joycons despite the issues. I likethe pretty colors, sue me.

what I'm saying is there is no way in hell i will buy any revision of the switch, at any price, with those same joycons. I've learned my lesson, that would be literally just throwing money in the garbage. No thank you.

will0wis

Nov 1, 2017
Brazil
Well they are now. Rumors are rumors, not leaks. People never learn that "insider info" can always be unreliable, and even the most trustworthy sources can get things wrong.

I've been on the internet for a very long time, I know better than to put weight in rumors, but throwing out insults and giving an aggressively reductionist take on what was reported many, many times from multiple "reliable" people and sources in the industry doesn't right any wrongs done by those who believed they were getting something better.

Also, apart from those who are throwing a fit over this or attacking other people directly, did anyone ever do anything wrong other than believing Nintendo would finally do something that makes sense? I don't really see it.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I think the thing about this that stings the most is that the name for this model is so bad it'll be very easy for uninformed people to buy the wrong one. I don't know why Nintendo keeps doing this.

Fabtacular

Jul 11, 2019
Yeah, no, see that was a joke. Jason deleted his tweet on it because it was a joke, he wasn't trying to actually say that it was running on a Pro, even though that's exactly what he was implying, it was just a joke.
I went to Jason's Twitter feed and it looks like he's deleted quite a few tweets about this?

Jul 26, 2018
I'm VERY disappointed that there's no performance bump.

Playing several games on docked mod on my LG CX 48 Inch is a NIGHTMARE. I think Skyrim takes the cake for being the WORST 30FPS game i've ever played. It was unbearable and it doesn't even feel like 30FPS gameplay at all. So much screen tearing on a OLED TV if you move around quickly......

And it's better.. get ready to see tons of screen tearing and frame drops on a BIGGER handheld screen and in OLED! XD