• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Smash Kirby

One Winged Slayer
Nov 7, 2017
I have over 200 games and folders is like...bottom of my list of wanted features.I don't care if they ever add it. It takes me less than 2 seconds to find any game I want. recent games are on the home screen and the rest can be sorted alphabetically. seems like people want this so they can get a new hobby of micromanaging their digital game collection for personal satisfaction but the actual functionality of it is really necessary to me.
I really only used folders to organize my VC games and games I didn't play a whole lot. So for the Switch I am not really missing folders a whole lot.

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
I specifically contextualized those complaints for you and you seemingly ignored that post. I even said the words "These are good updates" in that post. It's on this very page.
I seemed to have conflated your post with someone elses who mentioned how the updates were "worthless". My bad.

Drbeckman

Nov 9, 2017
Everybody complains about no folders.
But what makes me angry is the lack of bluetooth audio. It's crazy !

Dec 18, 2018
I have over 200 games and folders is like...bottom of my list of wanted features.I don't care if they ever add it. It takes me less than 2 seconds to find any game I want. recent games are on the home screen and the rest can be sorted alphabetically. seems like people want this so they can get a new hobby of micromanaging their digital game collection for personal satisfaction but the actual functionality of it is really necessary to me.
Oh wow, I have 15 games and only play 5 currently, so folders aren't that big of a deal. It's a nice feature, but button mapping is Huge and so is save transfer.
for me Mario 3 is awkward to play without button mapping.

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2018
You are, not them. Plus, if people want to voice their opinion about a useful feature they'd like to see (and has been available in previous consoles), who are you to determine how loud they should complain?
We got button mapping and save transfer, but some people just want to complain about folders.the Internet is full of people overreacting

peoples reaction to no folders:

Jun 2, 2019
I'd be honestly happy with Virtual Surround.

Don't understand why they didn't keep it. Don't understand why they don't put it back.

Don't even care about themes or folders, and if they ever put them, i want them to go all out like on 3DS

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
We got button mapping and save transfer, but some people just want to complain about folders.the Internet is full of people overreacting
There is no new save transfer with this update.
And so what. People have a right to opinions on updates.

They and I have been waiting years for folder options. Of course it's going to be continual disappointment until it arrives.

I don't give a crap about new theme options but I'm fine with people wanting them.

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I

folddr is the most needed update. Or at least. Way to rearrange games order !!!!
I want my most played game at first without the need to go to an extra menu. And yet every time a game update it goes first place. Annoying. Im often« opening/closing » my 12 most played game at the moment to have them in the main page

Oct 25, 2017

Since you insist on being THAT guy, I'm type this crap out.

Gonna clarify the folder thing one more time and why people are gonna make a big deal about themes and folders each time we get a new update without them. And I'm speaking as someone who doesn't care about themes personally. This is taking previous update threads and "why doesn't have Switch have x yet" threads over the last three years into account.

My Switch OS experience so far.

Pay for online that's technically worse than the Wii U's in some ways. Fine.

No in system voice chat. Fine.

No media apps besides Hulu. Fine.

Worse activity log. Fine.

Lose Virtual Console. Fine.

These are all things I accepted with little complaint.

But I drew the line at folders because I couldn't imagine an argument against adding such a low bar OPTION, but there's ALWAYS a defense force. Every missing thing is something for someone to needlessly defend because somehow any optional feature is a threat to "snappiness" whether it makes sense or not. "No, I don't want Netflix, I'm actually glad the Switch doesn't have Netflix." actual words I've read on this forum, but a request for folders seems ridiculous because "well, I don't need them, so why do you?" And of course "Switches are selling like hot cakes without them so who cares?" As if that means everyone that owns the device has absolutely no critique of something it can do better.

It's okay to ask for things. SOME things.

I'm not screaming folders because they're important, I'm emphasizing how banal of a request they are in lieu of better features they've offered in the past. Plus, you know, if we're gonna have the "bring everything to Switch" attitude, it'd be nice to keep them organized.

Last edited:

riq

Feb 21, 2019
If you don't care about folders, complaining about people complaining acomplishes nothing except making you seem extremely defensive of a corporation that doesn't know you, as an individual, exists.

Complaining about the lack of features, on the other hand, eventually calls the developers' atention to what people as a colective want, leading to improvements for everyone, like the remapping feature added this time.

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
Since you insist on being THAT guy, I'm type this crap out.

Gonna clarify the folder thing one more time and why people are gonna make a big deal about themes and folders each time we get a new update without them. And I'm speaking as someone who doesn't care about themes personally. This is taking previous update threads and "why doesn't have Switch have x yet" threads over the last three years into account.

My Switch OS experience so far.

Pay for online that's technically worse than the Wii U's in some ways. Fine.

No in system voice chat. Fine.

No media apps besides Hulu. Fine.

Worse activity log. Fine.

Lose Virtual Console. Fine.

These are all things I accepted with little complaint.

But I drew the line at folders because I couldn't imagine an argument against adding such a low bar OPTION, but there's ALWAYS a defense force. Every missing thing is something for someone to needlessly defend because somehow any optional feature is a threat to "snappiness" whether it makes sense or not. "No, I don't want Netflix, I'm actually glad the Switch doesn't have Netflix." actual words I've read on this forum, but a request for folders seems ridiculous because "well, I don't need them, so why do you?" And of course "Switches are selling like hot cakes without them so who cares?" As if that means everyone that owns the device has absolutely no critique of something it can do better.

It's okay to ask for things. SOME things.

I'm not screaming folders because they're important, I'm emphasizing how banal of a request they are in lieu of better features they've offered in the past. Plus, you know, if we're gonna have the "bring everything to Switch" attitude, it'd be nice to keep them organized.
now I'm gonna be that guy, but the Switch has a pretty good YouTube app, gotten some good use out of it

no idea why Netflix hasn't made an app for it yet though

also the full activity log would've been sick to be able to see on your friends' profiles, the current solution is so wack

this post ended up being pretty pointless but I'mma post it anyway

Dec 18, 2018

Don't understand why they didn't keep it. Don't understand why they don't put it back.

Don't even care about themes or folders, and if they ever put them, i want them to go all out like on 3DS

i Didn't know that was a thing. I want all the features they had on 3ds and Wii.

Dec 18, 2018
now I'm gonna be that guy, but the Switch has a pretty good YouTube app, gotten some good use out of it

also the full activity log would've been sick to be able to see on your friends' profiles, the current solution is so wack

I've never been that guy, and I'll leave it at that.

Oct 25, 2017
the lack of a user-accessible web browser is a bigger deal than folders

Okay so clearly none of that sunk in.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah man, and the Wii U had a really good browser apparently (never tried it).

N3DS browser was pretty good too actually, I used to watch anime on it and listen to music.
It was very good. Even had a dev mode and custom hooks into the controller's buttons, gyroscopes and accelerometer. You could make games on your computer, host it locally, then test it on your Wii U. Plus all the nice features like letting you load a video on youtube, push it to the TV and continue browsing on the gamepad. Plus scrubbing the videos is nice with the touchscreen....clearly I liked it.

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
Okay so clearly none of that sunk in.
lack of a web browser is a big deal imo

you accuse people of not listening to you with such vitriol, but then don't listen to anyone else

if you don't think I'm on your side at this point I guess I ought to just stop posting because you're rightfully mad and you're looking for people tp be mad at

Oct 25, 2017
lack of a web browser is a big deal imo

you accuse people of not listening to you with such vitriol, but then don't listen to anyone else

if you don't think I'm on your side at this point I guess I ought to just stop posting because you're rightfully mad and you're looking for people tp be mad at
I'm not mad tho. Annoyed by Homer, but not mad. If that's how it reads, I can't help that. Just saying things in a matter of fact way.

But the point is I ended my post by saying folders aren't that important, but just a basic request. Then you said web browsers are important (obviously) hence my impression my point didn't sink in.

This is simply bored during the quarantine posting.

The point of the whole post was, so many bigger things have blown over or ignored or done worse, I'm just willing to settle for folders at this point.

Fair enough and I used it on the 3ds/wii u but those consoles also had virtual console and a bunch of other icons that weren't games, both things that are absent on the switch so I just haven't felt the need for folder. They way the games are organized is also different and mirrors the ps4 functionality, I have also never used folders there either.

I get that it's a quality of life thing for some people but it's hardly a critical missing feature. The thing functions perfectly well without it
For you ....

Last edited:

We_care_a_lot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Summerside PEI
I really only used folders to organize my VC games and games I didn't play a whole lot. So for the Switch I am not really missing folders a whole lot.
yah I admittedly used it for the same but that seems irrelevant now for the most part. the 3ds and wii also had all kinds of other little mini apps that weren't games so it was nice to be able to at least move them around. The switch UI isn't perfect but for finding and booting up games it's actually pretty snappy. Folders just isn't something I really miss. I feel for those who do.

Deleted member 9857

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

my Switch is my favorite way to watch Youtube when I'm moving around, I wish I could watch Netflix on it when in the kitchen making/eating dinner

We_care_a_lot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Summerside PEI
It wouldn't be a new hobby as I was able to use folders on their previous systems.
Fair enough and I used it on the 3ds/wii u but those consoles also had virtual console and a bunch of other icons that weren't games, both things that are absent on the switch so I just haven't felt the need for folder. They way the games are organized is also different and mirrors the ps4 functionality, I have also never used folders there either.

I get that it's a quality of life thing for some people but it's hardly a critical missing feature. The thing functions perfectly well without it

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
I'm not mad tho. Annoyed by Homer, but not mad. If that's how it reads, I can't help that. Just saying things in a matter of fact way.

But the point is I ended my post by saying folders aren't that important, but just a basic request. Then you said web browsers are important (obviously) hence my impression my point didn't sink in.

The point of the whole post was, so many bigger things have blown over or ignored or done worse, I'm just willing to settle for folders at this point.

For you ....
I think I've got you, yeah

I think what's particularly annoying about the web browser is that it exists and is used by some applications and system functions, but it's not open to end users

of course, there's the opportunity for hacking with an open web browser that the very basic function of folders wouldn't allow

I don't have much to say, I shouldn't have gotten involved

youtube app is good tho y'all don't sleep on it

We_care_a_lot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Summerside PEI

For you ....

LOL it functions the same for me as it does for you. I don't have special switch firmware.

choog

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
The control remapping is amazingly great for my wife.
She has been a huge Animal Crossing fan since the original US release and has been eagerly anticipating New Horizons.
Last year she had a stroke and lost dexterity in her left hand (getting better through rehab.)

AC uses the left joystick for movement and the right for pretty much nothing (toggle camera modes, actually.) She has been struggling with moving around, often using her right hand on the left joystick. AC has been a stressful experience for her in what could be her best gaming experience in years.
Today I remapped the L and R joystick her Switch and it's really opened it up for her; allowing her to enjoy the game much, much more.

Thank you (finally) Nintendo.

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
The control remapping is amazingly great for my wife.
She has been a huge Animal Crossing fan since the original US release and has been eagerly anticipating New Horizons.
Last year she had a stroke and lost dexterity in her left hand (getting better through rehab.)

AC uses the left joystick for movement and the right for pretty much nothing (toggle camera modes, actually.) She has been struggling with moving around, often using her right hand on the left joystick. AC has been a stressful experience for her in what could be her best gaming experience in years.
Today I remapped the L and R joystick her Switch and it's really opened it up for her; allowing her to enjoy the game much, much more.

Thank you (finally) Nintendo.
That's pretty damn sweet.