• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
They suck for me, the DS, wiimote and vita dpads feel much better, the ds4 d-pad feels terrible to use regardless if people won titles with it or not
Just going by the evidence on a genre that really puts the D-pad through its paces. A shame it doesn't feel right for you, it's served me well for several platformers and a few indies.

Kitten Mittens

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 11, 2018
They're available right now on Target.com to order for delivery via UPS or for store pickup tomorrow morning.

toph

Oct 28, 2017
It seems odd to me that they would keep the same button layout when the whole reason it was there to begin with was using the joy-cons as separate controllers.

The original Switch is just so uncomfortable. I wish they could have adjusted it to avoid hand cramps.

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017
I mean to be fair has any Nintendo handheld had built in rumble?

Not a huge turn off for me either way, but who cares what old devices had? One typically expects progress and improvements over time. It's not like Nintendo isn't a company open to trying new things.

It seems odd to me that they would keep the same button layout when the whole reason it was there to begin with was using the joy-cons as separate controllers.

The original Switch is just so uncomfortable. I wish they could have adjusted it to avoid hand cramps.

Agreed. That's a gripe of mine as well.

Hermii

Oct 27, 2017
I hope they release a dock eventually. I understand branding it as cheaper, but there was no need to remove docking. A smaller universal dock, travel dock, or dock cable would sell great for all switch owners and could be separate from Lite.

They could sell a $99-$129 Lite Dock (that fits regular switch) and a controller for huge profit. Many USBC to HdMi docks/cables are sub-$30, so I doubt a dock costs much more than $10-$20 max to make.

Of course if the Lite doesn't have the USBC port power delivery necessary for that than its moot and a weird, odd choice to limit it. Save a dollar or two off costs by downgrading the USBC port but then limit yourself to not be able to sell a $100 dock at a later date, idk seems odd.

As is the unit is beautiful and if it could dock, I would upgrade.
Your forgetting about dock clockspeeds that has higher thermal/ cooling requirements. They could just run it at regular handheld speeds, but I doubt they would.

AlsoI believe theswitch has its own chip to convert the signal to HDMI which I guess this is lacking.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
Yeeessss. I love it. Looks perfect, feels perfect, and the size is perfect. Very light, too, but not to the point that it feels low quality.

But the dpad...it doesn't feel good, it's small, and possible the mushiest dpad I've ever used. Someone compared it to the 8bitdo pads. I can only compare it to the SF30 Pro I have, which I think feels much better than the Switch Lite dpad. The handheld this is really replacing for me is the Vita, and the Vita's dpad is sooo much better. I would say pretty confidently that it's Nintendo's worst dpad (though I don't know if it has the button mispresses the Pro Controller has. It may technically be better than that one if it doesn't have the mispresses, but the Pro Controller dpad still feels a lot better).

But it's better than the four separate buttons. And I still love the thing.

48762790788_b17a48b9a0_h.jpg
48763111116_7f54a6b7a1_h.jpg

48763111186_4def8d350a_h.jpg
48763299012_ffb1759f85_h.jpg

48763298802_5b22ee58a0_h.jpg
48762790453_5833730161_h.jpg

Kitten Mittens

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 11, 2018
Can't wait to pick mine up in the morning and then play the Ori demo tomorrow night. I've got a lot of Switch gaming to catch up on. Lumines, Tetris 99, Celeste, Hollow Knight, a bunch of Picross games, and SNES titles. Whoooooo. Haven't been this excited for a handheld since the DS Lite.

Tommyguns

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Target website finally has these available for store pickup! Just placed my order for pickup for the grey one! Can't wait to pick up in the morning.

Also placed a store pickup order for the links awakening amiibo and official carrying case for switch lite at bestbuy.

All of this+I took the day off of work. Should be a great day

Trrzs

Oct 29, 2017
For the guys who game share in Switch I would like to ask something: I already have a Switch but I would like to buy a Lite model in the future, I understand that I need to put the Lite as a primary console so I don't need to be online for the check in, but, what about If I want to travel with the regular model for some multiplayer gameplay and I don't have an internet connection, can I change the regular Switch to primary console easily? I mean I just need to change a setting in my account or the process is more tedious like redownload all my data again? Thank you in advance for your response guys :)

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
For the guys who game share in Switch I would like to ask something: I already have a Switch but I would like to buy a Lite model in the future, I understand that I need to put the Lite as a primary console so I don't need to be online for the check in, but, what about If I want to travel with the regular model for some multiplayer gameplay and I don't have an internet connection, can I change the regular Switch to primary console easily? I mean I just need to change a setting in my account or the process is more tedious like redownload all my data again? Thank you in advance for your response guys :)
I deregistered my Switch as primary (your profile page in the eShop) and after that I added my account to friend's Switch and it automatically became primary. My saves and games didn't go anywhere on my now-secondary Switch, so you shouldn't worry about that, at least. I haven't checked how setting to primary works on a system that already has the account, but I suspect that I'd just have to deregister the primary and then the next console to go online with my account would become primary. Don't feel like calling up my friends to test that, although I'm sure someone out there has detailed how that actually works.

chadskin

Oct 27, 2017
I just can't warm up to any of the colors, and the white buttons looks hideous. The Vita's design hasn't aged all that well but it makes the Lite look like a toy.

Rox

Dec 13, 2017
Mine is arriving today and I can't wait

Selling my OG console and keeping the Lite. J never play docked and I want a new warranty too so figured why not?

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yeeessss. I love it. Looks perfect, feels perfect, and the size is perfect. Very light, too, but not to the point that it feels low quality.

But the dpad...it doesn't feel good, it's small, and possible the mushiest dpad I've ever used. Someone compared it to the 8bitdo pads. I can only compare it to the SF30 Pro I have, which I think feels much better than the Switch Lite dpad. The handheld this is really replacing for me is the Vita, and the Vita's dpad is sooo much better. I would say pretty confidently that it's Nintendo's worst dpad (though I don't know if it has the button mispresses the Pro Controller has. It may technically be better than that one if it doesn't have the mispresses, but the Pro Controller dpad still feels a lot better).

Damn, it looks good. I can't justify getting one but I convinced my brother to get the turquoise and Link's Awakening from the Currys/PC World deal so I can experience it vicariously...
Looking like a toy is probably the point.
Also why I love it.

Yes, I've been loving Nintendo's use of colour since the N3DS. It's fun rather than classy, and I think it makes their hardware stand out in an age of very homogeneous looking devices. PS Pink+Green Neon Joycons are the best.

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
Damn, it looks good. I can't justify getting one but I convinced my brother to get the turquoise and Link's Awakening from the Currys/PC World deal so I can experience it vicariously...

Yes, I've been loving Nintendo's use of colour since the N3DS. It's fun rather than classy, and I think it makes their hardware stand out in an age of very homogeneous looking devices. PS Pink+Green Neon Joycons are the best.

Really all their handhelds have gotten nice colors. At least after initial revisions.
My absolute fave system/design though was the DSi (looks way better in person).

Jy2WQH0.png

ku6xUoH.jpg

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Really all their handhelds have gotten nice colors. At least after initial revisions.
My absolute fave system/design though was the DSi (looks way better in person).

Jy2WQH0.png

ku6xUoH.jpg

DSi pics are cheating, what a beautiful device.

I do like having the buttons a different colour to the device though. It worked well with the SNES colours on N3DS; and the N2DS, Joycons and now Switch Lite all going with block colours looks really good.

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well, congrats to Nintendo for finally catching up with the times, I guess.
switchlitebox-5.jpg

I look forward to holding one in my hands, but for now I'll just suggest it could've been a bit smaller from the pictures I've seen.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Nihongogamer d pad impressions

So according to the video, there seem to be two problems:
the d-pad positioning is pretty low, there's not much space between it and the bottom of the console, which is way different from a regular switch/hori fake joycon. (this would also be an issue with the right joystick I would think)
The d-pad is very shallow, which may be the problem with the diagonal, so you have to push really really hard to get diagonals.

Advc

Nov 3, 2017

Awesome pics! I honestly prefer the aesthetic of the Lite more than the Vita. Never liked the look of the Vita anyways. You're in for a great weekend with the Lite and Link's Awakening! Enjoy!

Hucast

alt account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
So according to the video, there seem to be two problems:
the d-pad positioning is pretty low, there's not much space between it and the bottom of the console, which is way different from a regular switch/hori fake joycon. (this would also be an issue with the right joystick I would think)
The d-pad is very shallow, which may be the problem with the diagonal, so you have to push really really hard to get diagonals.
Yeah. You have to press with a bit more force to get a consistent diagonal press in moves that requiire it.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Yeah. You have to press with a bit more force to get a consistent diagonal press in moves that requiire it.

It's weird, though, it seems more like a design flaw than anything else. Like the plastic is getting in the way of the d-pad because it's too shallow, if it were elevated even a little it seems like you'd be able to do diagonals no problem.

I would say they should have caught this in QA but a ton of early reviews seem to not even notice this, so maybe not.

thebishop

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
I really want one, but it feels like a mistake to buy into the Switch ecosystem without being able to play stuff like Mario Kart and Splatoon in splitscreen. On the other hand, I don't like the original Switch hardware design.

I think it's a wait for the 3rd redesign for me, friends.

GokouD

Oct 30, 2017
I really want one, but it feels like a mistake to buy into the Switch ecosystem without being able to play stuff like Mario Kart and Splatoon in splitscreen. On the other hand, I don't like the original Switch hardware design.

Splatoon doesn't have split-screen, if that helps.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017

Splatoon has no split screen (my kids would love it if it did) and Mario Kart can still be played splitscreen, you just have to prop it up and squint.

lenovox1

Oct 26, 2017
Splatoon has no split screen (my kids would love it if it did) and Mario Kart can still be played splitscreen, you just have to prop it up and squint.

Both games do offer ad hoc mode/local wireless multiplayer.

Yes, you'll have to have multiple systems, but that is exactly how multiplayer works on every other portable console.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Both games do offer ad hoc mode/local wireless multiplayer.

Yes, you'll have to have multiple systems, but that is exactly how multiplayer works on every other portable console.

Caveat is that someone mentioned a while ago you seemingly can't play local co-op with one digitally purchased game across two switches, even with different accounts playing. You can play online, just not locally.

pariah164

Oct 25, 2017
I traded in my launch Switch for a turquoise Lite and I couldn't be happier. I ordered a grip for it off Amazon that's coming tomorrow, but even without it, it's a decent fit even in my big hands. The light weight is such a relief on my tired hands and arms, and the display being smaller doesn't affect any gameplay at all. It's a wonderful system, and so far, I'm absolutely chuffed with the trade. It's great.

Going back to play some Link's Awakening now...

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
I traded in my launch Switch for a turquoise Lite and I couldn't be happier. I ordered a grip for it off Amazon that's coming tomorrow, but even without it, it's a decent fit even in my big hands. The light weight is such a relief on my tired hands and arms, and the display being smaller doesn't affect any gameplay at all. It's a wonderful system, and so far, I'm absolutely chuffed with the trade. It's great.

Going back to play some Link's Awakening now...
could you link the grip you got?

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
Well, congrats to Nintendo for finally catching up with the times, I guess.
switchlitebox-5.jpg

I look forward to holding one in my hands, but for now I'll just suggest it could've been a bit smaller from the pictures I've seen.

What times are you referring to?

The size is commensurate to its power and function. Same with the Vita and PSP.

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
Ugh gamestop lowered the trade-in price right as this came out. Was planning on side-grading but now if I do it I have to come up with an extra $25 + tax.