• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Absolute Zero

User requested ban
Banned
Sep 1, 2019
This is pretty major for the UK. People are averse to anime style games here, Nintendo doesn't do as well as in other places, and the number 1 is typically a Rockstar game, Call of Duty, Fifa or something equally generic. Quite an achievement.
It's basically a rounding error, it's only 1,400 copies more sold than #4 (Control)

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
It's basically a rounding error, it's only 1,400 copies more sold than #4 (Control)
That's not rounding error when total sales are below 10k most likely.

But the ranking is always a superficial way of analysing sales. The reality is that Control probably dropped 70% from Quantum Break, which was already not a big hit for Remedy. Bad sales in the UK.

Astral Chain is the fourth biggest Platinum launch, behind Bayo 1 & 2 and MGR, and ahead of Vanquish and Nier A. That's a good result for AC.

What I'm curious about is Man of Medan: how does it compare to Until Dawn?

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm quite surprised at how poor Control sold against how well AC sold considering that- anecdotal I know-how but the GAME stores I went to had a big display for the former as is typical for multiplatform games at launch whilst AC just had a few copies placed amongst all the other Switch games. Not even mentioning the extra days on sale...

Fatmanp

Oct 27, 2017
Wreckfest sold more than Control? Are we in BOMBA territory? I hope its good because i get a code with my new GPU tomorrow.

Mezoly

Jimbo Replacement
Oct 25, 2017
Always see posts like this on the back of disappointing performance, and yet the UK videogame market is still growing every year. Also remember these numbers do not include digital.

None of the games in the top 4 were ever going to be selling gangbusters.

The baseline being Bayo 2 and all 4 below that seems weak to me. Control sold less than a 3rd of QB. Granted with less marketing but on more platforms also scream weak to me. No matter how much digital factor in, I think these results would have been better in a more stable UK market.

CarlSagan94

Nov 3, 2018
Very happy for Astral Chain. A bit dissapointed Fire Emblem wasn't able to stay in the top 10 though.

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
Control behind Wreckfest and Man of Medan...Did they even advertise Wreckfest? Feels like it was just dropped, but good for Bugbear.

I guess Remedy just can't catch a break, but I wonder where those fogures about advance sales being good in select markets came from then? US?

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
whoa dude! i didn't expect that. congrats to PG and nintendo.

edit: and CTR falling behind MK8
ouch @ control selling less than man of medan.

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
The baseline being Bayo 2 and all 4 below that seems weak to me. Control sold less than a 3rd of QB. Granted with less marketing but on more platforms also scream weak to me. No matter how much digital factor in, I think these results would have been better in a more stable UK market.

I don't think there's instability in the UK market, more that the games released just aren't appealing to the masses. I'm sure FIFA, CoD, etc will set the charts alight, but those also come with huge marketing campaigns and appeal to a larger audience than something like Control.

Mezoly

Jimbo Replacement
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think there's instability in the UK market, more that the games released just aren't appealing to the masses. I'm sure FIFA, CoD, etc will set the charts alight, but those also come with huge marketing campaigns and appeal to a larger audience than something like Control.

Fair enough. I just expected these games to do better compared to their studios history. Curious to see the numbers for the holiday stables.

Rosur

Oct 28, 2017
Not heard of Man of Medan before this chart so will look into it. That said glad Astral Chain seems to be doing well.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
It's a quiet week of the year in the UK as always and not any reflection of a wider trend - this was bank holiday week for everywhere excluding Scotland and many people away on their holidays. People are back in work/school/etc this week and that's when game sales start to pick up again after the Summer lull. It's the same every year and a typically an unusual week (as is any week in August) to launch games, but clearly done to try and avoid the onslaught from September and beyond.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
The UK is still a major market, you can't just write off the seemingly poor performance because it might have sold better elsewhere.
well tbf UK have been suffering from very weak sales for some time now due to the economic state, sales in that market have been going down significantly in general.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
The UK is still a major market, you can't just write off the seemingly poor performance because it might have sold better elsewhere.
It depends om which one is indicative of overall performance. That said, US on its own is able to make the performance for a game like this, whereas UK is not, so the strong US performance is more weighty imo.

NekoNeko

Coward
Oct 26, 2017
Control might a contender for flop of the generation if those sales are any indication.

Oct 25, 2017

Just wanted to provide a counterpoint to people already declaring it a failure. We've seenin the past that UK performance doesn't say all that much in the grander scheme of things, especially without PC sales.

Mat seems pretty positive about it as well.

That said, go and buy Control people. It's a superb game and if you want more games like it, vote with your wallet.

Control might a contender for flop of the generation if those sales are any indication.

Not even close. It's a mid-range title, it doesn't need to sell massive volumes to be profitable. It also seems to be selling well in the US.
That and Remedy has a couple of exclusivity deals, which will help as well.

Brat-Sampson

Nov 16, 2017
I'll always bet on Platinum to make something great with a new IP. Loving the hot sales but most importantly, loving the game.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
Based on the 10k ish sales estimate for Bayo 2, I'm not sure why this is being hailed as a great performance since it means it sold less than 10k units at retail...and means Multiplatform games like Control and Man of Medan also recorded underwhelming sales.

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
The Switch having 6 number 1 games so far this year is quite impressive in the UK.

Link's Awakening will no doubt be the seventh.