• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ckareset

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 2, 2018
Nintendo has been working to eliminate droughts since the N64 and they struggle all of the time. The latest solution is the switch and the combination of their console and handheld teams. But so far it doesn't seem like it's working as intended. Was anyone else hoping for lower budget games made by past DS developers? Are these feasible in todays market? Indies tend to sell pretty well on switch.

We got Pokemon let's go for $60. Do people consider that a low budget "handheld" game? Not trying to get into a Pokemon debate. 2D Metroid? Zelda? Mario and Luigi series? Are we gonna get games like this? What about Professor Layton, Ace Attorney?

Basically it feels like we are just in another Nintendo console gen, which is characterized by droughts. Have they once again failed to address their main flaw?

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
Droughts, yeah, meanwhile I'm having loads of fun with all the games I bought and I have a ton of games on my eship wishlist. I'm already worried about there being too many games I would like to play in 2019.

Sovan Jedi

Oct 30, 2017
Southampton, UK
I assumed that all the third party and indie games releasing each week on Switch would alleviate the need for them to fill in the gaps on the release schedule with their own stuff.

plufim

Sep 29, 2018
I survived the WiiU, N64 and gamecube. You know nothing of droughts.

The eshop provides.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I dunno, bud. If you think the Switch of all platforms has a content drought, that's a you issue. There is literally so many quality games to play on this thing, it's actually a bit silly.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
I always enjoy how it takes less than a month after a flurry of releases for people to start drought talks.

Deleted member 32018

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
I'm not sure this is really a good time to make this kind of thread with a direct coming and many hints from the usual insiders saying this will be a good year for the Switch, both 1st and 3rd party (including a 2D Zelda).

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Droughts lol

The majority of Nintendo's Switch output will cost $60, handheld-style game or not. Consumers have shown they're more than willing to pay these prices for Switch software.

Seedy87

Jan 4, 2018
What. Have you not seen what's already scheduled for this year? How is that a drought?

Sure, we need release dates for them, but the Nintendo Direct (whether it be this week or whenever) will start lining them up over the coming months leading to E3 2019.

I do miss Nintendo's budget games (BoxBoy, Pushmo etc), but, clearly, there's far too much coming out on the Nintendo eShop, and I think Nintendo is more than happy to see indie developers finding success.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Switch threads these last couple days have been weird.

OP they are like dozens of great games of that kind on the eShop.

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
On the 3ds, where it belongs.

There is no such thing as a cheap and good hd game.

The narrative that the switch would be the better of both worlds came from people that don't understand game development. Switch is a home console. Period.

@dedmunk

Banned
Oct 11, 2018
I wouldn't have minded some good 2d RPGs like Golden Sun etc. Whenever I load up the eShop I am put off by all the junk though.

Vinnk

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
Professor Layton, Ace Attorney?

Professor Layton is already out in Japan, Ace Attorney is coming February 21st.

As for "Handheld style" games the indie scene has that covered pretty well for most genres that were popular on handhelds.

If the premise is a drought of 1st party games on Switch, or AAA 3rd party games on Switch, I could see that. But in general I already have 50+ games for my Switch and more coming than I can possibly afford. I don't see any drought.

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
Those lower budget games you want are still being made... on 3DS. Wait till the 3DS dies out and you'll see those coming over to Switch.

Though, I still think there's plenty of them on the Switch right now, just not many developed by Nintendo.

OP
OP
ckareset

ckareset

Banned
Feb 2, 2018
I'm not sure this is really a good time to make this kind of thread with a direct coming and many hints from the usual insiders saying this will be a good year for the Switch, both 1st and 3rd party (including a 2D Zelda).
Is there anything more unreliable than a switch insider lol

Elven_Star

Oct 27, 2017
I don't understand what this thread is about, hoenstly. Switch is getting all types of games all the time. What drought?

Oct 30, 2017

Who is stating a direct is coming with of all things a 2d Zelda?

Not angry, just where is this noise coming from?

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
Dafuq OP.

10l.jpg

We've known for a while 2019 is the year for handheld style games in Switch. We're getting AC, Pokémon, Fire Emblem and Luigi's Mansion. Also a new 2D Zelda is rumored.

Ace Attorney is also coming to Switch this year.

OP
OP
ckareset

ckareset

Banned
Feb 2, 2018
I dunno, bud. If you think the Switch of all platforms has a content drought, that's a you issue. There is literally so many quality games to play on this thing, it's actually a bit silly.
I mean if I pull up a wii u thread, you'll see this exact same comment

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
Banned
Jul 14, 2018
I always enjoy how it takes less than a month after a flurry of releases for people to start drought talks.
I also like how apparently every user has played every single game from the past two years. If there was an actual drought, there'd still be enough to fill the gap.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Last year had several quality "handheld"-tier releases from indies. This is an area they've done exceedingly well at with several success stories to boot.

This isn't the type of game that is experiencing a "drought".

Mcjmetroid

Oct 28, 2017
Limerick, Ireland
For God's sake there is no drought. Smash was released about a month ago.

As for handheld games look to the Indies. There is truly a variety of games on the Switch more than any other Nintendo console. Hell there's even civilisation V.

If it's lacking something it could be decent realistic racing Sims but give it time.

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
Is this a troll thread? I have like 60 games in my wishlist. I cant even keep up.
I decided not to buy anything until I finished what I have which is like 15 games.

Procheno

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 14, 2018
We are literally going into the Switch's best year so far with tons of handheld 3ds franchises like Animal Crossing, Luigi's Mansion, a probable 2D Zelda, high profile new gen Pokemon. Capcom already talked about AA coming. Not including the increasing 3rd party support with franchises that have never been on a Nintendo system in decades or ever, as well as exclusive games from Nintendo and 3rd parties. Did you even think before posting this?

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I mean if I pull up a wii u thread, you'll see this exact same comment
Yeah, but those people were delirious. Switch has decent third party support, and potentially the best indie support for a console in the industry. There is absolutely no shortage of quality games on the Switch. If you're lacking for games, that means you're only looking for official, first party Nintendo titles, and that's a you problem. No console can thrive on first party offerings alone. Play some of the other stuff.

Porygon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mexicali
Yes, it's a troll thread, don't bother with op, he will skip reasonable posts and just reply to some particular ones

Deleted member 36622

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
Less droughts than before if you look at what's coming this year.

The handheld games are coming Nintendo-side, third parties is a bit weird with Level-5 doing the proper next gen work for Yo-Kai Watch 4 which it means it will take time to come out here, Capcom made everything multiplatform, Atlus is a bit late compared to what they did on 3DS, again i think that's because they want to give you the proper jump in visual quality.

At the same time it's not entirely a fair argument cause Switch is getting a lot of console games, previous handhelds didn't get.

AlanOC91

Owner of YGOPRODeck.com
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
Yes, it's a troll thread, don't bother with op, he will skip reasonable posts and just reply to some particular ones

Came in ready to post some responses to the OP, see plenty of people making good valid responses only to see the OP reply to none of them. Huh. It's definitely one of those threads...

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, yeah, I hope we see stuff like 2D Metroid/Zelda and other such usually handheld Nintendo franchises on the switch in the coming years. But these things come with time. I assume the drought angle was brought up so people would click the thread?

Oct 29, 2017
Plot twist: The OP can harness the power of the Speed Force and can play through entire games in a matter of seconds.

Stealth brag thread confirmed.