delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
SEATTLE—Nintendo of America President and COO Reggie Fils-Aime appeared at Seattle's Geekwire Summit on Wednesday to speak broadly about the company's future, and, while the talk didn't include new product reveals, it proved illuminating about what to expect from the big N in the future.

The short version: Nintendo would rather be defined as an "entertainment" company, not a gaming one.

Fils-Aime says the company currently has three "pieces of business": a dedicated video game business ("the way most of our consumers interact with us"), a mobile gaming business, and "leveraging our intellectual property (IP) in a variety of ways." The latter includes previously announced plans for a Universal Studios attraction in Osaka, Japan (still slated to open ahead of Tokyo's next Olympics hosting run in 2020) and a Super Mario film produced by Illumination Entertainment (Minions, Despicable Me).

When asked about how long Nintendo took to embrace smartphone platforms, Fils-Aime admitted that the company's slow mobile rollout—and lack of direct ports of classic games—was intentional. "We needed to create unique experiences," Fils-Aime told the Seattle crowd. "Home system games, if transplanted to a mobile device, wouldn't transfer as well. We needed to work through monetization... as we're driven to make money. And we needed to work through how to be effective on platforms and marketplaces that we ourselves don't own. That took time."

Bishop directly asked Fils-Aime about issues that Nintendo Switch Online users are facing with its peer-to-peer approach to online gaming as opposed to connecting to central servers. Fils-Aime did not answer this question and instead offered his take on why the service relies on a smartphone app for voice communication: "Nintendo's approach is to do things differently. We have a much different suite of experiences than our competitors offer, and we do that in a different way. This creates a sort of yin and yang for our consumers. They're excited about cloud saves and legacy content but wish we might deliver voice chat a different way, for example.

"What we see is a situation where we know that Nintendo Switch is being played in the open, at a park, on a metro bus," he continued. "We believe the easiest way for you to connect and have a peer-to-peer experience with voice chat is with your mobile phone. It's always there, it's always with you."

Other tidbits included Fils-Aime confirming several things: that his famous E3 speech ("I'm about taking names, and we're about making games") was carefully crafted by the worldwide Nintendo team, particularly through "constant communication with our global president at the time, Mr. Iwata"; that he personally meets with "every group of new employees" to deliver an introduction of the company's philosophies and strategies; and that the company's first reveal of a Zelda game on the Wii, at E3 2006, was indeed footage of what eventually became Twilight Princess (and that, according to Fils-Aime, the sequence "literally made people cry").

Source:

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2018/10/nintendo-president-our-future-is-as-an-entertainment-company/

Close if I'm too late.

Spine Crawler

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
he is not wrong. basically all entertainment companies, be it netflix, disney or nintendo are competing for time.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
You should really use the quote feature...this is all from the article and you should put it in quotes.

TrickyAssist

Banned
Nov 19, 2017
Still disagree, honestly. They make, develop, and sell Video Games. Playsation and Xbox are competitors regardless of whether or not they choose to recognize them as such(failure to seems like a bad idea, though.)

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
It's true, I think Sony's said something similar in the past, too -- might have been Jack Tretton. At the end of the day, you can spend your free time doing any number of things, so games companies are competing against movies and concerts and stuff like that -- as well as, of course, each other.

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
"What we see is a situation where we know that Nintendo Switch is being played in the open, at a park, on a metro bus," he continued. "We believe the easiest way for you to connect and have a peer-to-peer experience with voice chat is with your mobile phone. It's always there, it's always with you."

You know what also is always with people when they play their Switch? The Switch.

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand
What is that Twilight Princess comment referring to? Twilight princess came out in 2006, and when it was revealed everyone already knew it was twilight princess? Very confused.

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
Still disagree, honestly. They make, develop, and sell Video Games. Playsation and Xbox are competitors regardless of whether or not they choose to recognize them as such(failure to seems like a bad idea, though.)

It's just narrow-minded to see Xbox and PlayStation as their only or biggest competitors. They're competing for time and money of consumers to entertain themselves. They're trying to convince people to buy and play a Switch instead of just watch Netflix after work or do something else with their time and money.

Ironically though, they also consider themselves "just about games" and they use it to justify not offering other services, so tbh I think Reggie just talks out of his ass

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
I get what they're saying, but Sony and Microsoft are also bidding for my time, so technically speaking they're still your competitors, Nintendo.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Competing with everything is not a new concept for them.
They've always tried to compete against the most successful entertainment products.
I remember an interview with a spokeperson from Nintendo saying that they wanted Mario 64 to compete against tamagochi for example.
I mean sure they're competing against Sony and MSFT but it goes beyond that frankly and it shows in their strategy.
that's why they went with the DS or Wii, it's also how they envisioned WiiU as well.

Serenitynow

Oct 25, 2017
I'm confused about the part where he "confirms" the Zelda footage at E3 2006 would eventually become Twilights Princess. Like, yeah, that's Twilight Princess...

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
What is that Twilight Princess comment referring to? Twilight princess came out in 2006, and when it was revealed everyone already knew it was twilight princess? Very confused.
I don't get this either, we knew about TP since e3 2004, we knew by the end of 2005 that it was delayed to be on Wii as well.
I mean sure we got footage of TP on Wii at e3 2006 and not before....because Wii was unknown at e3 2005 anyway.
This part makes no sense.
We even got footage of Twilight Princess on DS to showcase how DS was good at playing movies.
I really don't get what they're going for in that part.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is pretty spot on by Reggie.

We have a much different suite of experiences than our competitors offer, and we do that in a different way. This creates a sort of yin and yang for our consumers. They're excited about cloud saves and legacy content but wish we might deliver voice chat a different way, for example.

gordofredito

Banned
Jan 16, 2018
i compete for cheese curds
tenor.gif

Deleted member 25108

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
He isnt wrong.

But time spent on competiting platforms is still an issue you have to address.

Still dont understand why someone would want to play a AAA title on switch if they have a competing device outside of possible portablity.

Maybe that is enough for some. Not for me.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
and that the company's first reveal of a Zelda game on the Wii, at E3 2006, was indeed footage of what eventually became Twilight Princess (and that, according to Fils-Aime, the sequence "literally made people cry").

What was this about? Makes no sense. In 2006 TP was known for 2 years. Wii was getting a cross-generation port.

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
He counted the exact number of minutes per day and said that outside of the time a consumer spends eating, sleeping, working, and going to school, "all of the rest of that time is entertainment time. That's what I compete for, minute by minute. That time you spend surfing the Web, watching a movie, watching a telecast of a conference: that's all entertainment time we're competing for. My competitive set is much bigger than my direct competitors in Sony and Microsoft.

In what way exactly?

Sony and Microsoft are clearly competing with different forms of entertainment too, which is why they give their boxes robust multimedia options. You can watch movies and conferences on a PlayStation or an Xbox. You can stream music on them. What's Nintendo's edge here? The portability?

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Not acknowledging that you are in fact in competition with Microsoft and Sony, regardless of whether you think you are or not, is exactly how I've always thought Nintendo handles understanding their competition in Microsoft and Sony.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
Nintendo always gives these type of answers when they're not happy with sales. Maybe third times the charm.

elzeus

Oct 30, 2017
His answer on the state of their online gives me no hope for the future. Hopefully they set aside a little bit of system resources in the new Switch revision for chat and party systems. I can't see them having a 20 year partnership with Nvidia and still lacking features that we're in built in 2005 consoles.

truly101

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
It sounds like a Vince McMahon quote, just substitute gaming for wrestling. All companies move those goalposts whenever it suits the narrative they want to convey.

Metaldeer

Oct 28, 2017
Genuine question, do people actually go through the hassle of trying to play multiplayer games off their mobile data connection?

My data limit and phone battery weep at the thought. Not to mention the inevitable lag...

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Isn't it meaningless to ask Reggie questions like why Voice Chat is limited to the app?

Surely he's not making those decisions, as evident by his answer which basically was "Because Nintendo does things differently!".

Raysoul

Fat4All Ruined My Rug
Oct 26, 2017
I agree with him except for the voice chat part. You can't really defend that one with a solid argument.

Peleo

Nov 2, 2017

I get what they're saying, but Sony and Microsoft are also bidding for my time, so technically speaking they're still your competitors, Nintendo.

This thread title is slighly misleading, here is the quote:

"My competitive set is much bigger than my direct competitors in Sony and Microsoft. I compete for time. When I do that, I have to be creative and innovative in order to win that battle."

He is just highlighting Nintendo competes for the consumers free time against a larger subset of entertainment companies, not exclusively Sony and Microsoft which are the direct competitors.

tomofthepops

Oct 27, 2017
You know what other device you have with you whenever you want to play nintendo switch online ? Your Nintendo switch. So maybe use that for voice chat hmmm ?