• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Silent

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I personally don't see a huge problem with this information. You stop paying for the service, you lose the cloud saves. Your local data is still intact. Even if circumstances cause your subscription to lapse unexpectedly, you can just renew your subscription and back everything up again. The only way your saves are gone is if your Switch malfunctions in that window between renewals, right?

That said, it's stupid that they lock cloud saves behind a paywall in the first place. That is probably the biggest problem people have with infrastructure, especially with no way to back up your saves locally. But I think people are wasting time being angry at this specific point of the service when the fact that cloud saves are behind a paywall is the bigger problem.

OryoN

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
The entitlement in this thread is absolutely insane. Like..if you want them to maintain your cloud saves, you stay subscribed. It's not that complicated. Sure, it would be "nice" if they kept them after you cancel, but they have zero obligation or requirement to do so. Not like your local saves are going to disappear when you cancel. This is part of the online service, so this seems completely logical.

The very concept of cloud saves is to protect you against realistic worst case scenarios. So when Nintendo's may not protect you in a realistic worst case scenario (barring further Nintendo clarification) that undermines the point of the service in the first place.

In a very general sense, you'd be right, but in a specific case relating to Nintendo's online service, you're basically suggesting that; this undermines the point of a paid service... of which the consumer stopped paying for! Andre, that logic kinda proves his point about entitlement.

The argument concerning not knowing how long you can lapse payment is valid(whether it's 0 days, infinity, or anything in between), as the terms between merchant and consumer need to be made clear. However, the bulk of the arguments in the thread(edit: relating to entitlement) wasn't to adress that - recently updated - development.

Deleted member 12186

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They should make games with online that came out before this free because it's weird to have been playing something for a year and what not and then have there be a pay wall to go through to experience the same thing.

AndreGX

GameXplain
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
San Francisco

In a very general sense, you'd be right, but in a specific case relating to Nintendo's online service, you're basically suggesting that; this undermines the point of a paid service... of which the consumer stopped paying for! Andre, that logic kinda proves his point about entitlement.

I don't consider wanting a clearly defined and reasonable grace period for a service in which losing it through unintentional means can undo its entire purpose up to that point as "entitled," especially when that's exactly what most similar services already do.

Last edited:

Deleted member 27751

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Actually thinking about it overnight it's hilarious that Microsoft are the best at providing an online service despite all the shit they got for an online OG Xbox One. Can companies just look at how they do cloud saves please? I lost all my Bloodborne save data now plus a ton of other games because I had no point in keeping PSPlus.

Deleted member 1849

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

The argument concerning not knowing how long you can lapse payment is valid(whether it's 0 days, infinity, or anything in between), as the terms between merchant and consumer need to be made clear. However, the bulk of the arguments in the thread(edit: relating to entitlement) wasn't to adress that - recently updated - development.
Steam, GOG, Uplay, Origin, Microsoft, Sony - Gaming companies who do not delete backups on short notice, either because their service is free to begin with (all except for Sony) or because they have a guaranteed grace period where your data is protected in the unlikely event of a missed payment.

Dropbox, iCloud, Google Drive, One Drive, Amazon Drive - File backup services with either a free/premium model, or are premium only. The premium version of which does not delete backups even after a lapsed payment. They just don't sync up with new files. These are professional backup facilities which take on far, far more storage than a tiny save game.

It's not entitlement to assume a new competitor will at least get close to the baseline quality of service set by other players in the same market.

If Nintendo clear up the grace period situation then they are at least on parity with their worst competitor, great. They are still behind on not allowing for local backups.

If they can't even guarantee that, then they are a failure of a backup service.

Last edited:

RionaaM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It sucks not having a local alternative, but a cloud storage for 20 dollars / year is one of the cheapest i've ever seen. (let alone 20 dollars are also for the Retroflix collection and that stupid app)

Google Drive entry level subscription is $1.99 or $2.99 / month

One Drive $1.99/month

Dropbox $8.25/month

I believe only iCloud does better with $0.99/month

Though all these services do have a free limited option which is absent here.
The difference is that Google Drive or Dropbox are completely optional. You have a thousand different ways to backup on PC or phones, and you only pay if you want to. On Switch you don't get that choice, it's either pay or be screwed. And that's bullshit.

Pablo Mesa

Banned
Nov 23, 2017
Actually thinking about it overnight it's hilarious that Microsoft are the best at providing an online service despite all the shit they got for an online OG Xbox One. Can companies just look at how they do cloud saves please? I lost all my Bloodborne save data now plus a ton of other games because I had no point in keeping PSPlus.
Microsoft as a tech company leaves PS and Nintendo on thr dust

Why does sony dont copy em: beats me

Why does Nintendo not copy em: cause they are hellbend that everything they provide (or most of it) has to be created by em from the grounds up

DJ88

Oct 26, 2017
The entitlement in this thread is absolutely insane. Like..if you want them to maintain your cloud saves, you stay subscribed. It's not that complicated. Sure, it would be "nice" if they kept them after you cancel, but they have zero obligation or requirement to do so. Not like your local saves are going to disappear when you cancel. This is part of the online service, so this seems completely logical.

It's not about entitlement. No one is trying to argue that it's their right to have their saves stored.

But they can sure as hell be unhappy about a company making a decision that's worse than what their competitors are doing.

A company doesn't HAVE to do anything. At the end of the day they're trying to make money, but at the same time keep their customers happy.

The ones that go above and beyond to make their customers happy, even if it doesn't always make the most sense financially, usually earn those customers' trust and favor.

Nintendo is sending a message that does not convey that, so naturally, people are upset.

Tart Toter 9K

Oct 25, 2017
Guess i'll keep using homebrew applications and save 20$ a year. I might just donate the 20$ to some homebrew devs instead!

Chrono

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
blink.gif

Zelas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Folks are entitled for expecting Nintendo to provide a minimum standard, that literally all of their competitors have achieved, after they opted not to allow the most accessible backup option in manual saves? A company not being obligated to provide a good product doesnt excuse them from the criticism they're receiving. And I like how you insist that people can be 100% assured nothing will happen to their local saves if they find themselves in a position where they cant renew. Entitled for wanting peace of mind for a platform that carries more risk than one that sits at home, what the fuck lol.

-Peabody-

Oct 29, 2017
I honestly didn't know Sony only keeps them for half a year. Huh.

Well whatever that's shitty but it isn't like I'm gonna unsubscribe any time soon for 4 dollars a month.

Lwill

Oct 28, 2017
I mean, does that makes sense? If you don't pay for your services, why would Nintendo guarantee to keep that data you're not paying for?

In practice, though, there will likely be an official (or unofficial) grace period before your stuff is wiped out.

Last edited:

RedAhmed

Jan 9, 2018
Instead of selling me on the online service, they're giving me more reasons not to subscribe.

There is no other way of backing up my saves, only with cloud. And they don't even know if they can keep it secure after my subscription expires? What? I mean, they're the ones who created the service, why can't they guarantee it?

This is a portable console, the chance something happens which will lead to lost data is bigger than a stationary home console. This is a big issue, they should have given us as many options as possible to keep our data save. Instead, they're going a few steps backwards compared to 3DS and Wii U. WTF

Once I have access to homebrew, I'm saying goodbye to this. I'm really considering dropping all games I (want to) play online because of this. I hope enough people speak against this to make them realise they need to improve this ASAP.

principal

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Feb 14, 2018
Or at least allow users to make a back up. This is basic consumer needs Nintendo.

ngower

Nov 20, 2017
The outrage in here seems absurd. Cloud save BACKUPS will be deleted if a subscription lapses...I don't think it's all that ridiculous to expect to maintain a paid subscription to be able to store your BACKUP saves on a cloud server...the people who let a sub lapse then lose any save data if a system fails seem to have some misguided anger.

I do think local backups would be nice to have but it seems like Nintendo are still trying to figure out how to achieve that while avoiding exploits in games like Pokémon.

Risq

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Wait does this mean if my subscription is cancelled they wipe the saves off my system and then when I renew they can't be uploaded again?!

Another storm in a tea cup because it's about Nintendo I guess.

Phil Good

Apr 25, 2018
The thing that I hate most about Nintendo is how they like to punish literally all of their customers for the tiny subset of them that hack their systems.

Nintendo functions like this : There is a problem ? -> find solution that benefits only the company and hurts the customers. They want zero part in the pain. In my book, that's called anti-consumerism.

mnemonicj

Oct 27, 2017
Honduras
All news coming out for this service is making me stay away, considering what the other offerings bring to the table.
I could give Nintendo the benefit of just starting out, but who knows if they'll turn their service around.

Dragonyeuw

Nov 4, 2017
Honestly, I don't see anyone acting "entitled" at this point. The discussion seems to be primarily based on wanting to know how long Nintendo will hold your save backups after your subscription lapses.

It's definitely a granular detail, but it's just peace of mind on top of a service that's supposed to give you just that.

It's not a proper gaming discussion until the world 'entitled' crops up at some point.

Deleted member 4413

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm really frustrated that my last 5 posts in the last 10 minutes has been spent in different Nintendo threads calling them on their bullshit.

Get your shit together Nintendo. I really hope their subscription numbers are abysmally low. They need to know how shitty their service is that nobody is willing to pay for it.

Change only happens when it hits their shareholders wallets.

Megatron

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, I don't see anyone acting "entitled" at this point. The discussion seems to be primarily based on wanting to know how long Nintendo will hold your save backups after your subscription lapses.

It's definitely a granular detail, but it's just peace of mind on top of a service that's supposed to give you just that.
What difference does it make? You can't use the service if you aren't paying for it. Why would Nintendo keep your saves after you drop the service? Re-sub and they will back your saves up again.

Deleted member 9857

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm honestly at a loss for words to react to this, it's just so astounding how it's 2018 yet you'd think from this service Nintendo was at least a decade behind the times with online

Deleted member 43077

Banned
May 9, 2018
Classic Nintendo

voice chat via phone app, cloud saves behind a pay wall AND lost after cancelation but they will give you some NES games and the chance to buy $60 NES controllers. cmon bruh

KoopaSwitch

Banned
Jan 17, 2018
I'm really frustrated that my last 5 posts in the last 10 minutes has been spent in different Nintendo threads calling them on their bullshit.

Get your shit together Nintendo. I really hope their subscription numbers are abysmally low. They need to know how shitty their service is that nobody is willing to pay for it.

Change only happens when it hits their shareholders wallets.

Plenty of people will pay for it. The people complaining are a very small fraction.

SoftTaur

Oct 25, 2017
What difference does it make? You can't use the service if you aren't paying for it. Why would Nintendo keep your saves after you drop the service? Re-sub and they will back your saves up again.
Your switch gets stolen or breaks so you unsub for a month or two until you get the money to buy a new one and redownload your saves. It takes like 3 seconds to think of a reason why virtually every cloud service offers this.

Megatron

Oct 27, 2017
Your switch gets stolen or breaks so you unsub for a month or two until you get the money to buy a new one and redownload your saves. It takes like 3 seconds to think of a reason why virtually every cloud service offers this.

It's less than $2 per month. No reason to cancel if you know you are getting a new switch soon.

Pablo Mesa

Banned
Nov 23, 2017
So people really expect nintendo to save em their data for X time when they did not lay for said time?

Lets say. Intnedo gives a 6 months grace period?
What woukd keep someone from paying a 1 month sub, then did not pay for 5 months and then pay again 1 month sub, rinse and repeat, you saved your Cloud Data for 12 months and only needed to pay for 2.

Giever

Oct 25, 2017
So people really expect nintendo to save em their data for X time when they did not lay for said time?

What woukd keep someone from paying a 1 month sub, then did not pay for 5 months and then pay again 1 month sub, rinse and repeat, you saved your Cloud Data for 12 months and only needed to pay for 2.
Then they would still be missing out on the other benefits and Nintendo would probably still be making a profit off of that person. Plus, not trying to stop the tiny minority of people who would try to game it like that means that they could actually provide a better and more reasonable service to most of their customers.

Deleted member 1849

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

You can already do that on other platforms, you just can't access them or create new cloud saves during the lapsed period since that's part of the service. But your old ones are there.

Actually, if you go to proper backup services rather than just looking at cloud save services. Most even allow you to download your old data during a period of no payment, you just can't upload new data. Premium Dropbox works like this.

Guess what? Very few people try to game the system. It works just fine.

R_thanatos

Oct 27, 2017
Just saw the latest OP edit .
So nintendo NA can't guarantee anything ?
I don't get it , just say if there is a grace period or not .
Or say the requirements for deletion.
Like most cloud services on the planet get it.
I know how long my files will be there after i can't renew the sub... This is a basic info why can't nintendo do this ?

I know storage space can be costly to maintain in many cases , but just state your terms , nintendo . the lack of details is baffling.

Pablo Mesa

Banned
Nov 23, 2017
Then they would still be missing out on the other benefits and Nintendo would probably still be making a profit off of that person. Plus, not trying to stop the tiny minority of people who would try to game it like that means that they could actually provide a better and more reasonable service to most of their customers.
Yeah but, this is Nintendo, all or nothing for em, specially on things that can be exploited (aka no local backup or some games not cloud cause save scumming)
Im just running with what (possible) logic they would be running in case they really (not likely) to run with insta delete back up if the user forgets to renew