nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Grown men complaining about a VR solution for kids - the thread xD

Kids don't exactly see different to adults. If it's blurry as hell and hard to focus on for you, it's going to be blurry as hell and hard to focus on for your kids too.

travisbickle

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
BUT, I also said that the one product that was perfect for the Oculus Rift DK1 was Dolphin. Gamecube games are perfect for a 3DOF, 720p VR headset. Dolphin in VR was by far the most use my DK1 got as far as playing actual games.

How does this work if the games aren't designed with VR in the first place?

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

There are actually some pretty legit cardboard viewers. The Viewmaster one was made for kids in mind, but this one:

SCuEufl.jpg

is the one my niece and nephew have, that they like and use. With this type of setup, you can seriously get very close to what the DK1 was, especially with modern phones.

The main problem with this kit will be the weight. The Switch is just too heavy to use with an actual head strap, these viewers will always have to be handheld, which will slightly limit the utility. A game like Rez Infinite, however, is totally doable on such a system.

Judging from the announced "modes", though, this sounds remarkably similar to the Cardboard demo app that comes with the Cardboard SDK download. When you first use cardboard for the very first time, it takes you a on a virtual safari.

Piggus

Oct 27, 2017
Oregon
I don't understand the complaints on the first couple pages? This seems right in line with Labo.

$40 is a high price to pay for what will no doubt be terrible VR even compared to Google Cardboard or other cheap options. I had an original Oculus Rift devkit, so I can tell you firsthand just how atrocious and nausea-enducing VR is with a 720p screen and no motion tracking... and that's not even accounting for the fact that the old Rift was relatively light and comfortable compared to some cardboard monstrosity.

I shudder at the fact that this will be some people's first VR experience. VR is genuinely incredible so long as everything powering it is purpose-built. I tried the latest version of the Rift recently and it was mindblowing. But when you take devices that weren't meant for VR and strap lenses to them, the results are predictable.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
$40 is a high price to pay for what will no doubt be terrible VR even compared to Google Cardboard or other cheap options. I had an original Oculus Rift devkit, so I can tell you firsthand just how atrocious and nausea-enducing VR is with a 720p screen and no motion tracking... and that's not even accounting for the fact that the old Rift was relatively light and comfortable compared to some cardboard monstrosity.

I shudder at the fact that this will be some people's first VR experience. VR is genuinely incredible so long as everything powering it is purpose-built. I tried the latest version of the Rift recently and it was mindblowing. But when you take devices that weren't meant for VR and strap lenses to them, the results are predictable.

This isn't $40 for just a viewer, though. Presumably part of that price is the price for actual nintendo VR software. I'm certain the actual VR "viewer" here costs literal pennies, it's the software that is being bought.

Once you bought Google Cardboard for $1 or so, you still had to pay money to buy actual apps afterwards. The Free google cardboard demo app would otherwise hold your attention for maybe 5 minutes.

LordOcidax

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Grown men complaining about a VR solution for kids - the thread xD
Every LABO related thread....

What could be a great VR experience for a $40 VR and a $300 console?

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
Could your post have set back ERA as a whole? It was a fairly subpar post, so if this is people's first foray into ERA it could color them unimpressed or associate it with being hyperbolic or whatever.

:P
Hey you're a real stinko you know that?

STINK

O

:p

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Every LABO related thread....
What could be a great VR experience for a $40 VR and a $300 console?

well, I honestly think this would be a better product if it was one of Nintendo's mobile phone products. If I'm being realistic here, I'd have much rather seen Nintendo throw software support behind Google Cardboard, than create their own separate immitator. It'd further lower barrier to entry, and it'd be neat for all these really cheap headsets that have already proliferated to have Nintendo-quality software all of the sudden. But whatever, anything that gets more people into VR is a good thing. At least the hardware in the switch is way beyond what is in most cricket phones.

Vert1

Banned
Sep 1, 2018
Oddly the product imagery of VR looks more appropriate with the toy aesthetic.

Last edited:

julian

Oct 27, 2017
Absolutely not! That game's rendering resolution is already horrendously low in handheld mode (hell, it can't even maintain 720p in docked mode, let alone handheld!). It would be a good candidate for VR support on a hypothetical Switch Pro though.

The performance might've improved since the demo. It's also possible they have a separate VR minigame you can play rather than the whole game. I'm still betting on Yoshi.

Isn't that game Unreal engine? Does Unreal have a VR mode? I assume it does so it probably wouldn't be.....oh my god shitty resolution fortnite.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
"Poisoning the well" was an early concern and talking point in the Cardboard and (to a slightly less extent) GearVR days and I would say they did indeed do a lot of damage to people's perception of VR. I've tried to sell a dozen or so close/regular PSN/XBL friend's on PSVR or PCVR (bullseye target audience, higher than average tech literacy), and virtually all of them reference having tried a Cardboard or GearVR and thinking it was somewhere between shit and meh. So many are convinced that's what VR is and will ever be. The damage done by low res Youtube videos (most of them 2D) and zero-budget amateur mobile apps is far more extensive than people give it credit for (as evidenced by the responses you received). The populous at large just sees two big lenses and a glowing screen, oblivious to the profound differences resolution, field of view, refresh rate, 3DoF Vs. 6Dof, etc... has on the VR experience. These aren't just nerd specs where VR is concerned, they're about getting closer to fooling your brain what you're seeing is real.
This was the sorta thing I was getting at but I thought it was better to just apologize and take the lumps for bringing up the thought.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This was the sorta thing I was getting at but I thought it was better to just apologize and take the lumps for bringing up the thought.

I've always thought this was nonsense. If anything, things like cardboard makes the value proposition that much more apparent. It gives a baseline to compare to. I.e. "If this is what a $1 viewer does VR like, it's easy to imagine how much better a viewer that is literally 800 times more expensive would be"

One other thing to say -- even if there is way, way better VR out there, when I demoed Cardboard way back in the day, it still made jaws drop. The vast, vast majority of people still haven't tried any sort of VR, at all. Never forget how potent the very first taste of VR is, even if it's on a weak platform.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
I've always thought this was nonsense. If anything, things like cardboard makes the value proposition that much more apparent. It gives a baseline to compare to. I.e. "If this is what a $1 viewer does VR like, it's easy to imagine how much better a viewer that is literally 800 times more expensive would be"
That's true, it probably depends on the individual though, I could just as easily see someone not very tech-savvy feeling unimpressed, like the people who say they can't see a difference between DVD and Blu Ray enough to upgrade (or the investment isn't worth it for them), or 1080p and 4k I guess.
no more than reality is.
*Golfclap*

jman2050

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

One other thing to say -- even if there is way, way better VR out there, when I demoed Cardboard way back in the day, it still made jaws drop. The vast, vast majority of people still haven't tried any sort of VR, at all. Never forget how potent the very first taste of VR is, even if it's on a weak platform.

I still remain adamant that the fundamental problem of requiring a headset of some kind is going to remain a major barrier for future VR adoption. The proliferation of the cheap low-end options is encouraging but that's still a long way before it becomes the one true "future" that a lot of its proponents are expecting. As I sort of implied in a previous post, turning the headser iteself into part of the play experience is exactly the kind of interesting lateral move I would expect from Nintendo to create value in their product, but I remain skeptical that that will do anything substantial to break through that major barrier.

I'd like to be wrong, as I think VR needs a true mainstream breakthrough to finally start getting the content it needs to be more than an occasional curiosity, so we'll see what happens I guess.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I still remain adamant that the fundamental problem of requiring a headset of some kind is going to remain a major barrier for future VR adoption. The proliferation of the cheap low-end options is encouraging but that's still a long way before it becomes the one true "future" that a lot of its proponents are expecting. As I sort of implied in a previous post, turning the headser iteself into part of the play experience is exactly the kind of interesting lateral move I would expect from Nintendo to create value in their product, but I remain skeptical that that will do anything substantial to break through that major barrier.

I'd like to be wrong, as I think VR needs a true mainstream breakthrough to finally start getting the content it needs to be more than an occasional curiosity, so we'll see what happens I guess.

Just to be clear, I don't think nintendo is going to be leading VR anything. They're very much behind, and this is positioned more like an e-reader type of peripheral than even something like the virtual boy. I view this very much as them dipping their toes, and doing what has already worked for others, not so much driving the medium forward.

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
In theory, there could be outside-in VR tracking with a right Joycon sensor as the camera and reflective tape on cardboard Joycon holders, for a PSVR-like set up.

Also, I think the Labo Robot kit is an interesting lo-fi way of tracking what your arms and even legs are doing, something other VR solutions don't have a good (let alone in-expensive) solution for currently. It may not be able to straight up offer a "room scale" experience, since it can't tell the positioning of your hands, but similar to how the Labo Robot software could tell if you were punching or walking or squatting, you could certainly build a game around what are still analog inputs that tell the game how far your limbs are outstretched.

I could see a lot of potential for Nintendo to make specific VR accessories since the cost is relatively low for Labo which could make interactivity something beyond even what we get with VR right now.

brainchild

Independent Developer
Banned
Nov 25, 2017
Honestly, the Camera Toy-Con could be legitimately useful for any game that has a picture mode. It doesn't even need to be stereo 3D. The fact that it gives you manual/analog control over the aperture would be incredibly useful for taking better shots in-game, provided the game had DOF/f-stop settings that could be mapped to the aperture controls; literally a point and shoot camera for games. I'd use it just for that. A high-end version would be even better.

Vert1

Banned
Sep 1, 2018
Just to be clear, I don't think nintendo is going to be leading VR anything. They're very much behind, and this is positioned more like an e-reader type of peripheral than even something like the virtual boy. I view this very much as them dipping their toes, and doing what has already worked for others, not so much driving the medium forward.
What are your thoughts on Mario Kart VR?

Oct 27, 2017
I can see an option being added to swap the robot kit visor for the vr and make the robot kit totally "portable".

Every Labo kit has worked great, looking forward to this one too.

Seafoam Gaming

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
Toy-Con 01 and 03 refute your point. 01 is literally what you put into it because it is a full programming suite, people have made insane shit with that kit so it absolutely was worth the value to them. 03 is basically Nintendo Labo Presents GTA and if a full fledged open world adventure game. I'll give you that 02 is light on content for how much it costs but you are flat out wrong about the other two.

This has been in development for far, far longer than that strategy. As others have pointed out, the strings for VR has been in the Switch since the beginning. The Switch and Labo were literally developed in tandem, and as soon as it was announced and people could dig into the patents, they found Nintendo had patented a VR headset for the Switch that looks not unlike the cardboard one they just announced. That said, this is very likely the final Labo kit.

Toy Con 1 is what I consider a YMMV though. If you don't want to use your stuff after building them, then it's pitiful. My friend built a few things and had nothing else to do afterward after he made a few things, and he's the type who's super creative in minecraft. TC3 I will say i'm uncertain on due to a bunch of conflicting reports. People on this forum were really mad at it and I saw several who claimed it got boring and they 100%ed it in just a few hours after setting up the kit, while some say it's a lot better than TC1/2 like you do, so I don't really know what to think on that outside on how I don't know why it was made or what purpose it serves, and I don't think anyone else did if it did poorly

Really the only thing I think this VR may be fun for, thinking back is using this for youtube videos that have a first person perspective or other games that update to support this. It's a wait and see situation but I find these sets ultra frustrating since what started out as a cool premise with Toycon 1 ended up being something that's just filler for the sake of filler. Hopefully TC4 proves me wrong but none of the other Toycons screamed must have to me

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
The only thing that's weird about this to me is the price. At $79.99, the full kit is the same price as buying all the pieces individually (it's actually two cents more!). It's also the most expensive Labo kit on the market now that the Robot Kit has had a quiet official price drop to $59.99.

I get that it comes with the plastic VR lens thing, but it's just a little odd not to offer a small discount to the people who were buying the whole set at once.

That said, I'm sure discounts will be plentiful if this thing doesn't light the sales charts on fire.

L.O.R.D

Oct 26, 2017
The shotgun VR looks good for DOOM, especially with the same way you holding the shotgun in the game.