• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Last_colossi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Samsung does have one!!!

Samsung-Logo-1979-1993.png

Also sony does too - see above!!!

Aaah yes the well known.... star?.. thing. 😂

(I think I've seen the Sony one before but I barely remember it)

Derenden

Oct 30, 2017
You're really thinking Isotype, and not icon, as In Logotype, Isotype, imagetype, etc.

csjHSib.png

Nintendo uses a Logotype, just like Coca-Cola, and they don't really need an Iso because they're really iconic on themselves (Coke does has an Iso, but you really don't think about it when you think Coke). It's like with Nike: they saw that the Iso was more recognizable than the logo, so they just started to use it primarily.

And as others have said, Nintendo is the company AND the brand, while PS is a brand from Sony and Xbox from MS.
You can compare the Switch logo to the PS5 logo, and they both have an Iso, it's just that the PS5 uses the same one as the PS brand.

Nintendo did have an Iso at some point in 1972, but somewhere along the line, they decided to simplify.

dise%C3%B1o-logos-videojuegos-4.png

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah they do a new one for every new hardware

I think it's fine that way. Switch icon looks clean.

Catshade

Oct 26, 2017
I hate the switch logo because it looks symmetrical, but it really isn't. Gives me a figurative itch everytime I see it.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
The 'NINTENDO' is their icon.
Outside of that it's whatever is their major system at the time, currently the Switch logo.

Sort of like how Samsung has 'SAMSUNG' as their brand logo which you find on a lot of their electronics

Last edited:

LegendofLex

Nov 20, 2017
Nintendo is the brand, dude, lmao. It's not the Wii, the Wii U, the Switch, it's specifically the Nintendo Wii, Nintendo Wii U, the Nintendo Switch. Nintendo is just as much the brand name as Xbox and Playstation. It just happens to also be the same name as the company itself.
I agree that it's also their brand.

but the reason why there isn't a logo is because it's the name of the company.

The "Nintendo" mark is usually not actually part of their platform-specific branding, even when the name is used as part of a product name.

you will NEVER see Nintendo call any of their products "a Nintendo" like you see Sony refer to PlayStations as an item that you can buy.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
You're really thinking Isotype, and not icon, as In Logotype, Isotype, imagetype, etc.

csjHSib.png

Nintendo uses a Logotype, just like Coca-Cola, and they don't really need an Iso because they're really iconic on themselves (Coke does has an Iso, but you really don't think about it when you think Coke). It's like with Nike: they saw that the Iso was more recognizable than the logo, so they just started to use it primarily.

And as others have said, Nintendo is the company AND the brand, while PS is a brand from Sony and Xbox from MS.
You can compare the Switch logo to the PS5 logo, and they both have an Iso, it's just that the PS5 uses the same one as the PS brand.

Nintendo did have an Iso at some point in 1972, but somewhere along the line, they decided to simplify.

I love all of this. The current design has basically survived their entire time as primarily a videogame company.

Radarscope1

Oct 29, 2017
A logo can be a word mark. You don't need a logo mark if the typography is done well enough to stand on its own. In the case of Nintendo, their word mark is a timeless design. Like the Coca-Cola logo.
This. Their word mark logo is great. Goes all the way back to before the Game & Watch and has been used in every era since.

n_than

May 29, 2019
Nintendo is the brand, dude, lmao. It's not the Wii, the Wii U, the Switch, it's specifically the Nintendo Wii, Nintendo Wii U, the Nintendo Switch. Nintendo is just as much the brand name as Xbox and Playstation. It just happens to also be the same name as the company itself.

You are wrong about Wii and Wii U.
"Wii" is a standalone brand. It's not Nintendo Wii, it's just Wii.

Most of the early Wii commercials even use "Wii from Nintendo" as a tagline.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
I mean that applies for all 3 imo

Not really. Series X still shows the 'Xbox' wording in additions to the logo.

Switch shows the 'Nintendo Switch' wording during startup.

Not for the Playstation consoles though. It's been just the logo with no playstation wording since the PS4 and now PS5.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
I miss the old PlayStation logo, the current one is just so boring.

788px-Playstation_logo_colour.svg.png

Where did the fun go?

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
It's because Nintendo constantly changes the name and branding of every new console they release.

Sony and Microsoft just release new consoles in the "Xbox" or "Playstation" line. Meanwhile Nintendo goes from the SNES to the N64, then GameCube, Wii, Wii U, and now the Switch. Not to mention all of the handhelds with their own names and branding.

Nintendo for once just needs to make it easier on themselves and call their next console the "Switch 2". Take a note from Sony. The Switch brand is already viewed quite positively and is widely beloved. There's no reason to completely drop it all again and try to introduce everyone to yet another new brand and platform.

Madao

Avalanche's One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Panama

csjHSib.png

it's pretty funny how the first logo lasted more than every logo between 1950 and 1983 combined. also, the 1982 one has been basically the same one until now just with colors changing.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
I mean those are just console logos. The other two have just been reiterating consoles, whereas Nintendo switches (heh) it up more. SNES, N64, GC, DS and Switch have all had their own icons. Nintendo itself isn't a console it's a company, Xbox and PS is a console brand.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
Samsung does have one!!!

Samsung-Logo-1979-1993.png

Also sony does too - see above!!!
Be honest…you just Google Image Searched "Samsung logo," didn't you? You don't actually recognize this logo and associate it with Samsung from seeing it in the wild?

Samsung is a chaebol of multiple businesses, from construction to insurance. They used to have a variety of logos. As far as I can tell, none of them have used that icon for decades – the entire conglomerate standardized on first the oval wordmark and then the current wordmark sans oval.

And the Sony icon you posted is just the Sony Pictures logo, as others have mentioned. The Sony logo is just a wordmark, with no icon.

Many, many brands have a wordmark logo with no accompanying icon. Coca-Cola. Visa. For years and years, Microsoft and Google. Their square and "G" icons are recent additions, perhaps brought on by Apple envy.

There is nothing unusual about Nintendo's logo simply being the word "Nintendo" in a holding shape.

Res-bot

Nov 11, 2017
Notice how the PlayStation and Xbox console branding try to stay on point with 'playstation' or 'xbox'. Nintendo tend to mix up their console names more until they find a successful brand (think how Wii led to WiiU and the DS iterations but there was no GameCube 2) and stick with it but even then its not for that long.

MegaRockEXE

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017

csjHSib.png

Thank you.
Yes, this is the answer. I've seen in called wordmark as well. Think Yahoo, Capcom, Netflix. Though even with wordmark logos, they sometimes find a way to make it more "iconographic" for it to look good in small, square situations like as an app icon, or a social media avatar. Yahoo I think still does the Y! thing, Capcom does the capital C, Netflix does the N. Apparently Nintendo doesn't do any of that, opting to use the whole logo everywhere. Their website uses the classic Mario sprite and all their accounts use the full logo. I think I remember them using just the N before without the container shape though.

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo for a very long time has used it's name as an icon. It's one of their consistent logos on consoles, merchandise, and software. Depending on what we're talking about a Nintendo product may have it's own logo too.
I think Nintendo is very aware that your mom will call your Xbox a nintendo, that in itself is powerful branding

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

csjHSib.png

Seeing that 1967 logo gives me a feeling of dissonance because it's a font I associate so much with the 80s

Rocketjay

Apr 30, 2018
It's because Nintendo constantly changes the name and branding of every new console they release.

Sony and Microsoft just release new consoles in the "Xbox" or "Playstation" line. Meanwhile Nintendo goes from the SNES to the N64, then GameCube, Wii, Wii U, and now the Switch. Not to mention all of the handhelds with their own names and branding.

Nintendo for once just needs to make it easier on themselves and call their next console the "Switch 2". Take a note from Sony. The Switch brand is already viewed quite positively and is widely beloved. There's no reason to completely drop it all again and try to introduce everyone to yet another new brand and platform.
Especially when they have stated multiple times last era where they said that development for two different consoles at the same time became harder as video games got more expensive to produce. You can see it in their game production from both of those consoles.

evilmonkey

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Canada

csjHSib.png

The very first logo is still being used today.

666204_back.jpg

It's near the bottom on the left side.

RowdyReverb

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I miss the old PlayStation logo, the current one is just so boring.

788px-Playstation_logo_colour.svg.png

Where did the fun go?
The cool thing about the original logo is how the color contrast adds dimensionality to the design. The red P is so clearly standing up in front of the S, and that 3rd dimension was exactly the PS1's selling point. The current logo works only because people became familiar enough with this design

Deleted member 5491

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo is a company, Xbox and PlayStation are brands.
Nintendos consoles have logos, just like their competitors.

unicornKnight

â–² Legend â–²
Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
images

playstation-logojpg.jpg

nintendo-logo.original.jpg

Do you notice anything strange (see: missing) with nintendo's branding?

THEY HAVE NO ICON!!!! OMG IVE NEVER NOTICED THIS!!!!

It's just "nintendo". Not a red "N" or something. Aint that weird? That's weird and you know it!!!! Playstation has the playstation font text and then the logo. Xbawks has the Xbawks font text and then the "X" logo. Nintendo ONLY HAS THE NINTENDO BRAND TEXT?

I just have one question: Why?

Thanks.
Do you realize Nintendo is a company and the other two are product brands?

Dec 21, 2020
We already know what the next systems are, XBox 5, PlayStation 6 and NIntendo 8

Just Nintendo 8

It is Nintendo, that is the icon

But really, when you said icon I thought you meant a character that represents the brand and was gonna ask who you had in mind with Sony since Master Chief is to Xbox what Mario is to Nintendo, but PlayStation depends on who you ask and from what era.

You mean logo