• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
It's a 3D Mario platformer that a fraction of Switch owners played, on a console built for local multiplayer, and with the addition of online play.

This game is going to be a Mario Kart 8 Deluxe-level seller. I'm talking 30 million+. It still might have that but Nintendo is missing out huge not getting it out for the holiday.

...no.

It'll do well, but let's not get carried away here.

Brewster123

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Charlottesville, VA
I mean they literally just annouced a game 2 weeks before it released, so I wouldn't be concerned about November games until about mid-October. The Switch's momentum also shows no signs of slowing so I wouldn't be worried too much for Nintendo's wellbeing, especially given how big they are.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Or maybe just maybe they have a new IP/Sequel/spinoff planned and they just haven't announced it yet?

Tagg

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's a 3D Mario platformer that a fraction of Switch owners played, on a console built for local multiplayer, and with the addition of online play.

This game is going to be a Mario Kart 8 Deluxe-level seller. I'm talking 30 million+. It still might have that but Nintendo is missing out huge not getting it out for the holiday.
Please tell me you're joking. There's not a chance in hell that the 3D Mario WiiU port sells over 10 million copies.

Loanshark

Nov 8, 2017
Droughts are not exactly uncommon for Nintendo, its been a reality with every console they have released since the N64. Obviously the company is doing well regardless and the Switch would still be considered a huge success even if everything suddenly grinded to a halt, but people shouldnt be upset when somebody is pointing out the general lack of games. This is what you always get with Nintendo.

azfaru

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
November is sooo packed. I guess they just don't want to be loss in the sauce. Next gen console news and content are gonna dominate the airwaves. Best for them to wait it out till next year to be honest.

Sir Hound

Oct 28, 2017
I think it'll be the port bag, Pikmin re-release and one unannounced new game until the new year.

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
Switch is selling like wildfire this year on the back of Animal Crossing, the evergreens, and Covid lockdowns. I think that this momentum will give them a very good holiday even if they don't have a tentpole to launch in November.

Of course it would be better to have a nuke to put up against the new console launches, but I think that a significantly lower price and a significantly more robust lineup of games (which are still popular and very much in the public eye) will fare well against them.

Voke

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Only 1 game purchased on my Switch this year, and it was a remaster if a decade old game.

Very disappointing year from Nintendo

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
Please tell me you're joking. There's not a chance in hell that the 3D Mario WiiU port sells over 10 million copies.

ehhh, new super mario bros. u deluxe is at over 7.5M and still selling, and this has more new content and online play. and the switch is more popular now.

i wouldn't say it's at all guaranteed, but it's not impossible.

30M though, no.

Last edited:

Akita One

Oct 30, 2017
How does today's announcement show that there isn't a November game? Case in point, they literally just announced a game today that is being released in 2 weeks! I don't get the obsession over videogames announcements for the sake of "knowing"...

Deleted member 11626

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They won't just have nothing for November. Not unless they don't plan on selling systems this holiday. If there's something new and original for the holidays, they might just be waiting to drop the news on it after the other two reveal their launch lineups and prices.

They probably didn't adapt to COVID very well though, and don't be surprised if the new consoles are barren for a while too.

Sterok

Oct 25, 2017
What do you think they're holding back 64 DS, Galaxy 2, and 3D Land for? *continues happily dreaming*

spyroflame0487

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
For November I can see them bunding something like Animal Crossing or Pokemon/Mario 3D All Stars together and that's their "big" holiday bundle.
Man the holiday season is gonna be very weird for US retailers this year.

Apr 21, 2018
For November I can see them bunding something like Animal Crossing or Pokemon/Mario 3D All Stars together and that's their "big" holiday bundle.
Man the holiday season is gonna be very weird for US retailers this year.

The fact that they announced Mario 3D All Stars two weeks from release means all bets are off.

Metroid V might be announced Nov.1st and released Nov.18th.

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
They probably have another Direct in the pipe just ready to go for their other non-Mario releases.

Snake__

Jan 8, 2020
They just announced their game for September......
What about this year makes anyone think that they would have already announced their holiday releases?

lordmrw

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Droughts are not exactly uncommon for Nintendo, its been a reality with every console they have released since the N64. Obviously the company is doing well regardless and the Switch would still be considered a huge success even if everything suddenly grinded to a halt, but people shouldnt be upset when somebody is pointing out the general lack of games. This is what you always get with Nintendo.

There are games released on the eshop and in stores every week. There is no drought.

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
If BOTW2 isn't ready for November, they'll aim for Skyward Sword HD.

If Skyward Sword HD also isn't ready for November, they'll release Wind Waker HD for Switch.

Whatever happens with covid, they've got an easy Zelda November release to pull out of a bag somewhere.

J.Gusto

Oct 25, 2017
Binghamton, NY
Lol i feel like threads like these are made all the time. Always claiming Nintendo or the Switch is going to be doomed because of lack of releases/announcements. Smh

Akita One

Oct 30, 2017
Great consolation to the 61m+ people who've already bought one and want something new to play.
There are plenty of new games that have released on the Switch this year. Geez, every Direct has to have some 1st party AAA new sequel in it? Also, most of that 61 million never had a WiiU.

COVID is a real thing and has affected everyone differently. I don't get the obsession of Nintendo first party games that have to be released like every other month. Zelda is the only game with a real shot at release this year, every other Nintendo franchise has been released or is still in development for 2021 and beyond.

Meanwhile, Sony has only released a game that was delayed from 2019 and another game that was delayed to summer 2020 but announced years before....with only a SpiderMan standalone expansion for the PS5 launch window. Microsoft has only released a Flight Simulator game in 2020.

I don't get the outrage.

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
Don't worry, guys. Metroid Prime Trilogy is gonna hit in November, and then Metroid Prime 4K with New Switch+ next year.

Vorpal

Nov 4, 2017
I don't know what is more frustrating, the fact that threads like this still get made or that I still feel compelled to reply to them.

Dr. Collins

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Animal Crossing and 3D All Stars are going to sell like crazy this holiday, so Nintendo absolutely doesn't *need* a November game, but this is weird that they don't have one. Pokémon Sword and Shield are also gonna do well, especially once the second expansion drops.

Nintendo will do just fine this holiday.

But still, I doubt we've seen the full extent of their plans for the year.

OP
OP
Empyrean Cocytus

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
The Switch will outsell the PS5 and Xbox Series X combined in November and December. Twice or thrice over.

This is almost assured due to stock constraints and shortages that the pandemic is going to make worse. But does that help with regard to revenue? Nintendo definitely profits off of their hardware sold, but the days of selling hardware at a loss are gone in general, and I can't imagine Sony and MS will want to do this either.

Everywhere

Banned
Jun 12, 2019
Metroid Prime Trilogy.

Any chances of the fabled MH Switch releasing in November/December in Japan and getting a worldwide release, similar to World?

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
So
This is almost assured due to stock constraints and shortages that the pandemic is going to make worse. But does that help with regard to revenue? Nintendo definitely profits off of their hardware sold, but the days of selling hardware at a loss are gone in general, and I can't imagine Sony and MS will want to do this either.
So you think people buying a switch aren't also buying software with it? Will Mario kart, Odyssey, Zelda, AC, etc disappear?

New Donker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
They could bundle the Pokémon dlc into an "ultra" version and throw that on the shelf. There's your November game.

Akita One

Oct 30, 2017
I would love to know how you arrived at this incredibly wrong statement lol

They've released like 10 games this year
The person I was replying to was obviously talking about AAA exclusives. I don't think Battletoads fits that.

EDIT: Just realized I left off Minecraft Dungeons, but excuse me for forgetting about Bleeding Edge like the rest of the world did.

Status
Not open for further replies.