• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

OsakaDon

Oct 29, 2017
Osaka, Japan
I saw a news story that was talking about Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo.
It was about their game machines, and in the headline there was a graphic with the Playstation logo, the Xbox logo and then a Switch logo.
iha66vkro4c5p7tumrxe.png

Then I was thinking, wait is there no Nintendo logo icon besides the company name that represents Nintendo?

They have the Mario hat icon, but that isn't really used to represent the company. So do they really not have a singular icon that represents all of Nintendo as a company besides the company name logo?
nintendo-6-282132.png

Am I the only one that finds that surprising?
Do you think they should have one, for ease of use and for situations where space is limited and you want to quickly represent the company by an icon.

Anyone have any creative ideas of what it could look like?

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sorry what? You want something less recognizable but more recognizable than the Nintendo logo?

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
They should take the Nintendo logo you posted and scale it down to just the N in a little loop. Boom.

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
It's cause mostly, they tend to create one logo per console/generation, and change it radically* on the next

*Except on the Wii > WiiU transition

Seiniyta

Oct 25, 2017
Uh, neither of those 3 logo's are company logo's.

Sony -> Playstation icon logo shown
Microsoft- X-box logo
-Nintendo - Switch logo

The only difference is that Nintendo tends to change the name/logo per hardware generation. But otherwise it's the same lol.

Trrzs

Oct 29, 2017
In fact the Nintendo logo can't be red since the Wii era, that's why they use the typography in white with a red background.

PopsMaellard

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

Microsoft- X-box logo
-Nintendo - Switch logo

Yup. And the PlayStation icon is really the only one which has remained consistent over the years; Xbox has also had a new icon attached to each new generation of hardware. Additionally every PlayStation and Xbox since release has retained the core device naming convention, whereas each Nintendo console has had its own unique branding.

Nintendo hardware is more distinct as post-SNES they've all had a unique feature, for the most part, which justifies notably different iconography.

Oct 25, 2017
You want like a Nintendo Gaming Division logo? Because that's what the PS and Xbox logos are.
But Nintendo is purely a gaming company. So the company logo already fills that role.

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Yep as others have mentioned here, all 3 of the icons in the example are specifically for the consoles, not the company.

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
Sony doesn't have a logo icon. PlayStation does.

Microsoft doesn't have a logo icon. Xbox does.

Nintendo doesn't have a logo icon. The Switch does.

KoolAid

Oct 25, 2017
Those logos are representing the console, not the console maker. So using the Switch logo is perfectly fine and what should be done.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
It's because they keep changing the brand of their console with each generation. Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, etc. They come up with a new name every single time.

Although I expect "Switch" will become Nintendo's "Xbox" or "Playstation" in the sense that they keep using it (ie, Switch 2).

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Uhhhh, your post points out that none of the other companies do either

JB2448

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Florida

Yep. PlayStation and Xbox exist as brands for their respective company's forays into gaming. Nintendo is a gaming-focused company, which means that it doesn't need a gaming-focused brand outside of the company itself. The Switch logo works fine in this case.

Pop-O-Matic

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Difference is that the PS and Xbox brands have endured for literal decades. By comparison, only one Nintendo home console brand had it's name and iconography carry over to it's next gen successor (Wii->Wii U), and even then it didn't represent the whole of their hardware/software output considering their handheld division.

neon_dream

Dec 18, 2017
"Why doesn't Nintendo have a company logo other than the company name logo that they do have?"

Because the company name logo they have is fine. I dunno. I don't see a problem here.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
I saw a news story that was talking about Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo.
It was about their game machines, and in the headline there was a graphic with the Playstation logo, the Xbox logo and then a Switch logo.
iha66vkro4c5p7tumrxe.png

Then I was thinking, wait is there no Nintendo logo icon besides the company name that represents Nintendo?

They have the Mario hat icon, but that isn't really used to represent the company. So do they really not have a singular icon that represents all of Nintendo as a company besides the company name logo?
nintendo-6-282132.png

Am I the only one that finds that surprising?
Do you think they should have one, for ease of use and for situations where space is limited and you want to quickly represent the company by an icon.

Anyone have any creative ideas of what it could look like?

Uhh that's that correct logo. The 3 you posted as platform logos, not company logos.

Sony's icon isn't a PlayStation logo either. Nor is Microsoft's an Xbox logo
All 3 companies have their official logos that all are left to right, text logos.

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
Difference is that the PS and Xbox brands have endured for literal decades. By comparison, only one Nintendo home console brand had it's name and iconography carry over to it's next gen successor (Wii->Wii U), and even then it didn't represent the whole of their hardware/software output considering their handheld division.
That's not what the OP is concerned with, though. The Switch is the current Nintendo brand for videogames, just like PlayStation and Xbox are for Sony and Microsoft, respectively. They're equivalents.

OP
OP
OsakaDon

OsakaDon

Oct 29, 2017
Osaka, Japan

Microsoft- X-box logo
-Nintendo - Switch logo

The only difference is that Nintendo tends to change the name/logo per hardware generation. But otherwise it's the same lol.

I'm aware that those are the Playstation brand and Xbox brand logos.
I just think it's interesting and a little strange that Nintendo creates a new logo icon for every system they release. They don't have a single consistent logo icon to use across all products besides just the name itself.

Pop-O-Matic

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
That's not what the OP is concerned with, though. The Switch is the current Nintendo brand for videogames, just like PlayStation and Xbox are for Sony and Microsoft, respectively. They're equivalents.
The PS and Xbox logos represent the entirety of those brands, the Switch represents only a small portion of Nintendo's brand. How you can not realize that is beyond me.

Sparks

Senior Games Artist
Verified
Dec 10, 2018
Los Angeles
I think the issue is that, Playstation is Sony's console brand. Xbox is Microsofts console brand. Switch is not Nintendo's console brand, it's their current gaming device.

They never had a name that represented their console division I guess.

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
I'm aware that those are the Playstation brand and Xbox brand logos.
I just think it's interesting and a little strange that Nintendo creates a new logo icon for every system they release. They don't have a single consistent logo icon to use across all products besides just the name itself.
Nintendo uses their company name as part of the branding, so have to have a subtitle to their products. "Entertainment System", "64", "Wii", "Switch", and many others, are all subtitles, in the context of Nintendo branding.

SleepSmasher

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I guess that's more than just the Windows logo nowadays, yeah. Still, that's a recent development.
that's the windows brand.
That is the old windows logo, not MS.
This is the current Microsoft logo and it has been like that for quite some time. There are a few variations of it like the single-coloured one on the back of Surface devices and other Microsoft hardware like mice, keyboards, etc.

The Windows logo nowadays is the one you can see as the start menu button from Windows 8 and above and Server 2012 and above.

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
The PS and Xbox logos represent the entirety of those brands, the Switch represents only a small portion of Nintendo's brand. How you can not realize that is beyond me.
I'm perfectly aware of what each brand entails. Are you arguing just for the sake of it? Nintendo simply operates differently than Microsoft or Sony because they switch things up with each new system instead of going Nintendo 1, Nintendo 2, etc. That doesn't change the fact that the Switch logo is Nintendo's current equivalent to Xbox's logo.

But if the intent is to be meticulous, then neither of those logos represent the entirety of each "brand". The logo in the OP doesn't represent the PS1, for example. This one does:

XPkRfkK.png

OP
OP
OsakaDon

OsakaDon

Oct 29, 2017
Osaka, Japan
I'm not pointing this out as a problem or something that needs to be fixed.

I just thought it was interesting that they didn't have a universal icon that is instantly recognizable with Nintendo, besides their name itself.

As some have pointed out, it probable is the fact that Nintendo have changed the name of each of their systems every time. Where Sony and Microsoft have not.