• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AquaWateria

Oct 25, 2017
Also, it seems like Japanese publications are posting their previews of SMT V.

Western previews could happen soon.

SammyJ9

Dec 22, 2019
Hilda joined the Black Eagles and left the loser Claude behind.

Claude is a lot like Ted Cruz. When things get tough, he flees the country.
loooool, Oh Ted Cruz. Can you just... go away? Forever?

One day I will play the Black Eagles route and see if it changes my mind about Edelgard. But... I really doubt it.

b3llydrum

Feb 21, 2018

Some more gameplay of SMT V without anyone speaking over it.

Awesome, thanks!

You know, interestingly, I just learned by doing a little nighttime math, that right now is the longest Nintendo has EVER gone after launching a console without revealing the existence of the next console. Not even a hint of a next console, and now they're trying to shut down rumors of a simple mid-gen upgrade. Crazy times we continue to live in.

This is a great observation. People are rabid for what's next for Switch.
🥵

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
loooool, Oh Ted Cruz. Can you just... go away? Forever?

One day I will play the Black Eagles route and see if it changes my mind about Edelgard. But... I really doubt it.

Well, it will give you a more sympathetic version, at least. There's a reason the version of a character everyone likes tends to be in their routes and not in other routes.

Kanhir

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

You know, interestingly, I just learned by doing a little nighttime math, that right now is the longest Nintendo has EVER gone after launching a console without revealing the existence of the next console. Not even a hint of a next console, and now they're trying to shut down rumors of a simple mid-gen upgrade. Crazy times we continue to live in.

Makes sense. The Wii was consistently successful all through its lifetime, and then they completely slammed the brakes on its momentum by launching the Wii U.
I can see that they'd want to milk the Switch for all that it's worth until it's showing signs of no longer being profitable.

Also, the count is 1948 days for the DS* and 2063 days for the 3DS, so I guess we're looking at a portable lifecycle here.
*would have been 2032 if not for Nintendo heading off a 3DS leak

Last edited:

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017

What about when you consider handheld consoles? I think people overlook that the Switch is also the successor to the 3DS, and not just the Wii U.

Polynaut

Oct 27, 2017

this is a great observation and breakdown. thanks for posting!

SammyJ9

Dec 22, 2019
Well, it will give you a more sympathetic version, at least. There's a reason the version of a character everyone likes tends to be in their routes and not in other routes.
Very true! I'm looking forward to it, I just need more space after my last playthrough first. I do think she's an interesting character, so it'll be good to learn a bit more of her side.

And RE: the character versions being better in their routes: This is mostly true, although funnily enough from what I can tell Claude seems to be about the same, at least in Blue Lions and Golden Deer. He's still pretty much the same low-key, likable guy in both

Ibrahim

Feb 1, 2020
The point of the article isn't so much new information as it is to show proof that the reports of a 4K DLSS Switch were always legit via citing nearly a dozen companies with dev kits & naming one of them. Somehow people will still argue the kits don't exist and the info was fake, though. Embarrassing.
Nate's redemption

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
I still maintain Edelgard should've gotten into Smash over Byleth. Her character is the centerpiece of Three Houses.

Sakurai taking the easy way out and not having to pick between lords

ozeiyo

Feb 12, 2020
Eh, I guess I'm just feeling some Marvel fatigue after a decade of constant multi-media bombardment. So it would have to carry me through on gameplay alone. Is that relevant here?

I played the first one back in the day on a rental whim and thought it was decent, but nothing that I really wanted to go back to. To be fair, I barely gave the game a quick glance, but I felt like it was mostly just leaning on the license "hotness" for the refresh without really doing something new. Is the third game significantly different enough to warrant a closer look?

I hated MUA 3. Playing it solo, I felt the gameplay was samey, boring, and the whole experience was way too grindy. The story was also pretty dull. I never played it co-op, which is apparently the way to go, though.

MarcyPoos

Oct 25, 2017
Makes sense. The Wii was consistently successful all through its lifetime, and then they completely slammed the brakes on its momentum by launching the Wii U.
I can see that they'd want to milk the Switch for all that it's worth until it's showing signs of no longer being profitable.

Also, the count is 1948 days for the DS* and 2063 days for the 3DS, so I guess we're looking at a portable lifecycle here.
*would have been 2032 if not for Nintendo heading off a 3DS leak

That isn't true actually. The Wii was extremely front loaded and fell off a cliff in terms of sales far in advance of the Wii U launch. Switch is in a very different product cycle.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Switch Pro/Plus/Super/2 being delayed from this year to the next (or beyond) is something I assumed but it's still a little sad to read about it again. Wonder how it has affected their software slate as well.

ozeiyo

Feb 12, 2020
I'm probably going to get buried by the legitimately huge news from the Bloomberg article, but I just found out my joycons are practically unusable a few minutes ago. I was already suffering drift, but now the A button is dead and the drift is out of control. Is there a decent, cheaper replacement for the joycons or should I just pay the $80 to get new ones? I do like the purple and yellow, but my budget is already tight with Metroid and a few other PS5 games coming out soon.

There are a few cheaper alternatives, but I'd say none are decent enough. The Hori left joy-con is fine (and it has an actual d-pad!) but then again if you're having issues with the A-button I'd say just go buy another pair. Maybe set alerts on your phone if they go on sale or something (I've seen joycons for sale in Amazon for 60-65€, which is 20€ less than normal)

Depends are you playing handheld or docked. Cause you could get one of the power a wired/wireless controllers.

Don't get PowerA, though. They are trash. I've had two different ones go unusable due to drift in a few months. If you're looking for a decent replacement for a pro controller that's also cheaper, the 8btdo SN30 pro2 is like 50€. Maybe you can find the one I have, the Pro+ (an earlier model) for cheaper than that.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Switch Pro/Plus/Super/2 being delayed from this year to the next (or beyond) is something I assumed but it's still a little sad to read about it again. Wonder how it has affected their software slate as well.

Not at all because a switch 2/super was never going to launch in the 4th year of the consoles life, lol. That's 2023 at the absolute earliest

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Not at all because a switch 2/super was never going to launch in the 4th year of the consoles life, lol. That's 2023 at the absolute earliest

Bloomberg began reporting on details of the product more than a year ago, including the bigger OLED display, the fall release and the higher price. It was also supposed to contain a faster chip from Nvidia Corp. that would enable 4K graphics when connected to a television, people familiar with the plan said in March. Nvidia declined to comment.

But the 4K capability didn't come to pass. It's unclear exactly when the design changed. The reason, according to a person familiar with Nintendo's hardware planning, was component shortages, a far-reaching problem born out of the Covid-19 pandemic. After unveiling the Switch OLED, Nintendo said it had "no plans for launching any other model at this time."

Bloomberg seems to believe otherwise.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Bloomberg seems to believe otherwise.
I specifically highlighted the Super/2 part because *maybe* a DSi XL / New 3DS model happens, but even then, barely any games will make use of it, and there will be hardly any exclusives (just like the n3DS).

The mere idea that Nintendo would replace the Switch with its successor in barely longer than or potentially even less time than it took to replace the Wii U (1,566 days, switch is at 1,672 days now, will be 1680 when OLED releases), while the Switch is still extremely successful is rather humorous, at least.

The Switch is going to have a similar life to the DS /3DS , which were 2,288 days / 2,197 days respectively before a successor launched, with still some signfiicant continued support afterwards.

MisterSpo

One Winged Slayer
Feb 12, 2019

I remember repeatedly quoting Nintendo's "longer than usual" and "unprecented" lifespan talk for Switch at people and still being shut down with expectations they'd drop Switch in 2022.

That being said, a potentially iterative approach would certainly complicate how we talk about successor systems and the like.
So, um, do I cancel my OLED now? I've already sort of "sold" my regular switch lmao
My assumption is that the improved model is at least a year away - parts shortages make this unpredictable. It's not just availability that'll affect Nintendo's plans - the component cost is going to be vital for them getting this out at an acceptable price.

I also suspect that the second hand market for Switch will remain strong. If there is a more powerful model in 12 months, then I can always sell my OLED and a handful of games to help cover the cost of upgrading, if I need to.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I specifically highlighted the Super/2 part because *maybe* a DSi XL / New 3DS model happens, but even then, barely any games will make use of it, and there will be hardly any exclusives (just like the n3DS).

The mere idea that Nintendo would replace the Switch with its successor in barely longer than or potentially even less time than it took to replace the Wii U (1,566 days, switch is at 1,672 days now, will be 1680 when OLED releases), while the Switch is still extremely successful is rather humorous, at least.

The Switch is going to have a similar life to the DS /3DS , which were 2,288 days / 2,197 days respectively before a successor launched, with still some signfiicant continued support afterwards.

I think whatever they decide to name the system is going to be motivated by marketing more than anything. I don't expect a Switch 2 to "replace" the current system either but to start an extended cross-generation period. But yes, 2021 would have been too early for a traditional successor.

Homura

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 20, 2019
My theory is that Nintendo DID plan an iterative successor (Switch Pro) for this year. It fits perfectly with the Iphone stategy Iwata mentioned and it would be the best moment to release it as Switch is in the middle of its life cycle.

In 2020 Covid19 happened causing lockdowns and a global chip shortage though. This of course made everyone in the gaming industry (and society in general) delay their projects. On the other hand, the lockdowns meant a massive raise of sales of games AND consoles: Switch sold 28 million units in one year, which is more than a new revision could ever boost.
This sales momentum is continuing as Nintendo is reportedly producing 30 million Switches this FY.

The point is, Covid19 boosted sales so much Nintendo doesn't really have to make an iterative successor to maintain momentum anymore. Their new best course of action would be to focus all their resources on a normal Switch 2 successor to release in 2022/2023.

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
Shame, the Swoled featuring more potent hardware would've been a slam-dunk in my book. I mean, I'm looking forward to it regardless, I like what it is right now already. But more power would've been very nice, too, obviously.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
Why does the juicy stuff always happens when i'm not online. ;_;

Anyway, i feel like Mochi is *absolutely* certain of all this when he actually says how many sources he consulted, and even flat out NAMING one. That's a balls of steel ³ move.
And of course, Nintendo should and would shoot this down, they're launching a new premium model next week.

I think it's just a bad timing for the article. During summer or after holidays wouldn't make Nintendo move at all about it.

Finally watched Dune and as a fan of Villeneuve's previous work I have to say

ehh

My opinion, SPOILERS of course:

I absolutely hates these hard and fast cuts between very dark and extremely bright sceneries. It hurt my eyes and i'm glad i didn't see it in 3D because that would've been even more uncomfortable.

And i think they ended the movie at a strange spot in the story. Imo way too early to finish the whole story in a second movie, there's so much stuff left.

Imo, Villeneuve overshot himself with this movie. Curious how he handles the rest.

ozeiyo

Feb 12, 2020
My assumption is that the improved model is at least a year away - parts shortages make this unpredictable. It's not just availability that'll affect Nintendo's plans - the component cost is going to be vital for them getting this out at an acceptable price.

I also suspect that the second hand market for Switch will remain strong. If there is a more powerful model in 12 months, then I can always sell my OLED and a handful of games to help cover the cost of upgrading, if I need to.
Guess so, yeah. Or, who knows, maybe I will end up tinkering with the switch. Just with a new, better switch.

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
Imagine the 4K switch comes out without an OLED screen
Hmmm, not sure how I'd feel about that. I did go from OLED Vita to LCD Switch, so it's not like a good LCD can't offer a decent experience even compared to an OLED. Then again, going back from OLED to LCD on the same platform with seeing the same games being less vibrant again ... eh, doesn't sound great, haha.

Kattbuss

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
They should just stop putting out games for Switch for a while. My wishlist is getting out of control! Who has time for all these games??

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This is exactly why I'm not getting the OLED. I'd rather wait a year or more for the Pro but I'm not gonna get that either because it feels like the Switch 2 is just around the corner but I'm not likely gonna get the first batch when they might have a Mariko-like upgrade but to be perfectly honest at that point I might just go for the Pro 2.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
This is exactly why I'm not getting the OLED. I'd rather wait a year or more for the Pro but I'm not gonna get that either because it feels like the Switch 2 is just around the corner but I'm not likely gonna get the first batch when they might have a Mariko-like upgrade but to be perfectly honest at that point I might just go for the Pro 2.

"News International, September 30th 2031:

Swiss man continues to ask companies to include the Switch, a 2017 launched system, in their development."

;D

Adulfzen

Oct 29, 2017

if the rumored DLSS Switch were to release in 2022 you wont get another generational jump in hardware before 2026 at the earliest

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
"News International, September 30th 2031:

Swiss man continues to ask companies to include the Switch, a 2017 launched system, in their development."

;D

"I played the first Breath of the Wild and it just feels right that I get to play its sequel as well," said the man who wished to remain anonymous out of fear for being called 'part of the problem' by fellow Nintendo fans.

if the rumored DLSS Switch were to release in 2022 you wont get another generational jump in hardware before 2026 at the earliest

I've waited this long, I can wait a little longer.

Deleted member 69942

Banned
May 22, 2020
So, um, do I cancel my OLED now? I've already sort of "sold" my regular switch lmao

In all seriousness the chance of the Switch Pro or whatever it gets called is released next year is not very high. So if you want to play games I would go for an OLED. Especially if you sold your regular Switch.

Currently I am not seeing any reason to get the OLED yet as I am not traveling as much and not playing too much on it either. But I am definitely interested in getting it, haha.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
Never in my wildest dreams would I've expected them to not go back to LCD.
Really, the obligatory backstep is just part of their DNA.

I wouldn't be surprised if they dropped the glas screen or even OLED for a cheaper Switch 2/Pro Lite, if there will be one. It's an easy way to cut cost for a product that's meant to be more durable than a premium Pro/2 model.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
If a switch pro happens next year, it'd be ... something. Given that DSi and n3DS had about 2.5 years of a gap before 3DS/Switch, that'd make the actual Switch 2 launch so late in the PS5 life cycle, ... The moaning about the current Nintendo handheld being underpowered will never end.

Better... NO screen. ^^

Condemning it to being the worst selling switch even during the planning phase would be a bold move.

nocdaes

Dec 6, 2018
UK
My personal take on the Bloomberg article is that Nintendo did plan to have a 4K iteration of existing Switch, but the impact of Covid and subsequent knock on effects of the pandemic resulted in them opting for the OLED iteration instead.

Seems to me this decision would have a limited impact on the existing software development slate - i.e. Bayo 3, Kirby, Splatoon 3, BotW2, MP4, and wouldn't have been particularly difficult nor concerning to them. Switch family continues to sell well, and so does the software - OLED or 4K makes little difference to those sales.

Would 4K sell better than OLED? Gut instinct would be yes, but we're comparing iterations of an already hugely successful console. Nintendo may not care too much on this point - strong sales are strong sales - and they already know they have a Switch successor lined up for when it's needed, which can bring the 4K further down the line.

That's before we even consider the possibility that Switch 2 is an entirely new Switch handheld and Dock. It could just as easily be a new dock, which the OLED would sit in just fine.

Irene

Feb 22, 2021
Bayonetta 3 is going to be difficult to gauge because I'm not sure if you are familiar with the fanbase but Bayo 2 is actually viewed as way worse by the hardcore fanbase of the series due to its combat being less deep than 1.

Bayo 2 is a phenomenal first playthrough. It's gorgeous, colorful, fun as hell, and stylish. But for those who really want to dig deep into the combat and replay for Pure Platinum, it falls short.

It's entirely possible for Bayo 3 to get great reviews and be a great first run single player campaign, but it could fail the test of the hardcore fanbase who are looking for the depth of Bayo 1 in the long run.

I didn't know that about Bayo 2. It could be possible that Bayo 3 goes further away from 1 - what struck me was the emphasis that was being placed on the 'controlling monsters' aspect, or whatever one calls it.I love it personally, but if it turns out to be a bit 'style over substance', then maybe it won't be as well received as 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.