• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What form will the first Nintendo Direct of 2021 take?

• Nintendo Direct

Votes: 247 20.0%
  • Nintendo Direct Mini

Votes: 131 10.6%
  • Nintendo Direct Mini: Partner Showcase

Votes: 269 21.7%
  • The Legend of Zelda Direct

Votes: 176 14.2%
  • Pokémon Direct

Votes: 352 28.5%
  • Mr. Sakurai Presents

Votes: 26 2.1%
  • Other

Votes: 36 2.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Clov

Oct 25, 2017
I can see it being a partner direct.

Also, Fortune Street's Anniversary is in March. I'm almost certain well get an announcement.

With how popular Momotaro Dentetsu has been, I wouldn't be surprised to see a new Fortune Street announced either. Not sure how far along it would be, though.

New Donker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
That "I only recommend the Switch to non gaming friends" thread is goofy, but the posts in the thread are even worse. What's with the constant hate on the switch in other threads? There also seems to be a misunderstanding about how MOST people play games. I'd wager the average person plays like 1-3 games a year on their console. They're not jumping into tons of different games and genres. I see it across both my Switch and PlayStation friend list. You have people like me that will try everything, but the majority are just playing a very small handful of titles throughout the year. Hell, I have one guy I know that just uses his PS4 to play assassins creed games each year and that's it.

Onix555

Apr 23, 2019
UK
Choose you poison:
  • My Switch is collecting dust.
  • Nintendo should buy x studio.
  • X publisher should buy a studio that has a long history of working closely with, but not necessarily exclusively for Nintendo, i.e. Intelligent Systems, HAL, GF.
  • The inevitable whining that will come with the Switch Pro because it's too weak, too powerful, has too many/too few/no exclusive games, etc.
  • The same 5 people posting "Directs are dead" every time we get a Partner Showcase or Twitter info drop.
/s, maybe.

Aether

Jan 6, 2018
Can't wait for this to finally be announced.
So that the discussion about the Switch 2 can start? =P
It's the same dilemma of choosing a $300 Switch vs. a $400 PS4 for the last few years; it all comes down to how much you value portability. I think the past four years Nintendo has proven that portability and exclusive software negates how close in price Switch was to the much more powerful PS4.
Not quite.
If you dont have a switch at all, shure. It you have one, then the pro will (presumably) not add new games to play that your old one cant,
while the ps4 will. The more apt comparison would be havign a ps4 and thinking if you should buy a switch or a PS4 Pro

The biggest challenge of 2021 is going to be companies managing expectations. I still can't believe some companies still do the random "tune in tomorrow for a special surprise!!" announcement and then then people get hyped for what ends an announcement of a clothing line or something. Now that all announcements are handled online, companies need to start getting better at reading the room and quit baiting their customers into overhyping themselves.
Yeah they wont. And even nintendo kinda missed oned aspect of directs: those smaller anouncements that peope are not that interested to be hyped for could be delivered next to bigger ones, so that a lot of people see them and think "hey, thats cool", and not "ok, not what i have expected".

One of the most famous Apple leaker tweeted this:

I'm pretty sure he got these informations from one of the manufacturer in China, which means the console already entered in the production phase.

Suspicious about the new Joy Cons... but shure, now entering production with foxcon to release it in the summe rsounds about right.
man, i really really hope the joycons are just a revision that is interchangable with the old ones, and does not really add features.

OP
OP
MondoMega

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
We taking about Fortune Street? I'd like one on the Switch, please. Maybe make this one a full Nintendo x Square Enix crossover rather than just Mario and Dragon Quest or Final Fantasy.

Definitely curious about what's in the Switch Pro's dock, if that's what's giving it 4K output.
Probably a HDMI 2.0 out, a USB C slot for the AC adaptor and three USB slots.

Seriously though; the thing about Aula that makes me skeptical about it being the actual revision is that putting an additional chip in the dock seems like it'd be more pricy than just including a 4K-compatible SoC in the handheld unit!

We'll have to see what Nintendo do though. They're never totally predictable!

Last edited:

drunkpacman

Jun 10, 2020
Get ready for Summer Game Mess 2021.

Honestly, we all just need to accept that there will no longer be an equivalent of an E3 week from now on. Each company will just do their own thing and Nintendo will go down the road of holding announcements until a few months before release and keep most of their future slate a mystery to us all.
Unfortunately, you may be right. I do think there is a place for it though.

New Donker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Lmao, yeah, got a friend as well who buys literally every Xbox (revision) to play the new AssCreed and ports of older ACs - and that's it.

Yup and it's like, do you and be happy. I'm not trying to bring any cross drama here, it's just really weird to see some of these posts and feels like we're approaching the Wii days where the Switch doesn't count as a console. I have a PS5 and I still play the Switch more 🤷🏻‍♂️

Homura

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 20, 2019
Suspicious about the new Joy Cons... but shure, now entering production with foxcon to release it in the summe rsounds about right.
man, i really really hope the joycons are just a revision that is interchangable with the old ones, and does not really add features.
Why?
The only way to fix Joycon Drift is a complete redesign of the controller. I would rather have completely new Joycons that might not work with some games than a fully compatible Joycon revision that doesn't fix drift.

Aether

Jan 6, 2018
Why?
The only way to fix Joycon Drift is a complete redesign of the controller. I would rather have completely new Joycons that might not work with some games than a fully compatible Joycon revision that doesn't fix drift.
Its just the stick.
Buttons, HD rumble, IR camera, gyro, etc can stay the way they are. Heck, HD rumble coudl be improved without lessening the quality of the older joy cons, since it would not lead to games that dont work with the old ones.
And im not against say a slight bump to add space for a different stick design, im talking about redesigning them in a way that they
a) dont work with old switches
b) have features that new games use that don't work with old ones

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA
We taking about Fortune Street? I'd like one on the Switch, please. Maybe make this one a full Nintendo x Square Enix crossover rather than just Mario and Dragon Quest or Final Fantasy.
I'd love that honestly but I'm sure it'll be Dragon Quest x something because it's also DQ's anniversary this year too and Horii has teased announcements.

I could see a quick port of 30th Anniversary (PS4) with DLC and released in English, an HD Remake/ Remix of the Wii game or something completely new.

OP
OP
MondoMega

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Speaking of digital board games, it's a shame the new Dokapon game (themed after Utawarerumono) that released on Switch/PS4 last month probably won't be localised; i'd love to end more friendships with Dokapon!

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a way to gift a code for a specific game via giftbot? Or is that something I'd need to get from the publisher of the game?

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
We need a new Chibi Robo

RIP Skip
full

Muffin Awesome

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
Oct 30, 2017
After switching SD card, it crapping out, and invalidating original SD card, I am currently on Zelda BotW #9 of 37 digital download reclamation process...

Why oh why is Nintendo's storage process so damned archaic (more just overly obtuse and locked down) that I can't just copy these files over and it just authenticate I own them :(

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
Why oh why is Nintendo's storage process so damned archaic (more just overly obtuse and locked down) that I can't just copy these files over and it just authenticate I own them :(
If you're very specific in how you copy the files you can. For future reference, what computer platform did you use? You can get it to work on pretty much anything

edit: Basic process is:
- copy entire folders from SD card to PC
- insert new SD card and format for Switch
- replace contents of Switch formatted card with those of folders copied to PC

patientx

Oct 26, 2017
(talking about hitman 3 cloud version coming to switch)
Up to date none of the cloud ver. games worked steadily -demos- on switches in my country -turkey- so all this cloud versions of games are worse than not coming out on switch for us , we will never be able to play it knowing there is version on it somewhere. Btw there are very few official servers for mmos or fps games on Turkey, we mostly use european servers and mostly that turns out to be OK, so I actually hoped these steaming company whoever they are, doesn't see a future for countries like us to invest on some servers around ...

Muffin Awesome

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
Oct 30, 2017
If you're very specific in how you copy the files you can. For future reference, what computer platform did you use? You can get it to work on pretty much anything

edit: Basic process is:
- copy entire folders from SD card to PC
- insert new SD card and format for Switch
- replace contents of Switch formatted card with those of folders copied to PC

I took a usb c dongle and copied all from source card to new one popped it in the switch after transfer and got the beautiful message of please turn off switch and check card.

Same process I performed going from 64gb card to the 400...

just a bit bummed, poor little guy has been downloading all night, just chugging along collecting those bytes.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I just want to put on record that I would do awful, unspeakable things for a new Fortune Street.

Onix555

Apr 23, 2019
UK
Started Secret of Mana.

The menu system is weird, combat feels janky, and the story is kind of incoherent so far.
I guess the graphics are nice though.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I would, especially if several of the sprite-based characters were made of clay like the friendly monsters in Moon!

I dunno, I don't think I want Chibi-Robo to get even further away from what made the original game special. It's one of those series that I'd rather stay dead than come back with another experiment that is bound to disappoint in some way.

Clov

Oct 25, 2017
I dunno, I don't think I want Chibi-Robo to get even further away from what made the original game special. It's one of those series that I'd rather stay dead than come back with another experiment that is bound to disappoint in some way.

Would it really be that far from it? Moon plays very similarly to Chibi-Robo in the first place. Instead of electricity, you have activity points. Instead of outlets, you have beds. Instead of Happy Points, you have Love. Even Tao is there! I don't think it's as big of a departure as Zip-Lash, at least!

Status
Not open for further replies.