• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
TheMoon

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Looking at the latest update, is the assumption EPD 8's 3D action adventure game they hired for was simply Bowser's Fury, rather than a new game? (Edited phrasing to be clearer)
I don't remember when they hired for this, but assume that all this Mario stuff has been finished for quite some time. The only reason 3D World+BF releases in 2021 is covid.

EAD Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Oct 27, 2017
Also
Looking at the latest update, is the assumption EPD 8's 3D action adventure game they hired for was simply Bowser's Fury, rather than a new game? (Edited phrasing to be clearer)

3D World + Bowser are done. There was an initial 3D hiring contract position in Tokyo last October. That was probably the extra staffing for Bowser.

Then Tokyo started a second recruitment for permanent 3D game staff a few months ago - which is likely for their next project.

EAD Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Oct 27, 2017
Looks like EPD Production Group No. 04 (Labo, 12Switch, Ring Fit Adventure, Miitopia, etc) were behind Jump Rope Challenge (WFH side project) and Swapdoodle.

Rbz

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Also

3D World + Bowser are done. There was an initial 3D hiring contract position in Tokyo last October. That was probably the extra staffing for Bowser.

Then Tokyo started a second recruitment for permanent 3D game staff a few months ago - which is likely for their next project.

How do we know that 3D World + Bowser are already done? Is that obvious from the released materials, or did they say so in an interview?

MisterSpo

One Winged Slayer
Feb 12, 2019
Also

Does that mean it'll be a little while before we get a new game from EPD Tokyo?

OP
OP
TheMoon

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Miitopia -- are they Tomodachi as well?
look at the OP :)
TL was 7, that's Sakamoto's gang.

How do we know that 3D World + Bowser are already done? Is that obvious from the released materials, or did they say so in an interview?
there have been zero interviews about anything other than paper mario recently.

all that mario stuff was obviously supposed to be out this year, only reason 3DW+BF comes out next year is covid. plus we know they get their stuff done early, they didn't have anything since Odyssey and we've been hearing about 3DW being ported for around two years now already.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Looks like NoE has a new building in the typical Nintendo style.

Oh, they moved from Großostheim to Frankfurt am Main.

www.colliers.de

Nintendo of Europe mietet neuen Hauptsitz in Frankfurt am Main

Hersteller von Videospielen und Spielkonsolen mietet rund 15.000 Quadratmeter in Niederrad Frankfurt/Main, 19. Oktober 2018 – Nintendo of Europe hat über

Before anyone asks, says nothing about game production takin place at the new HQ.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
about six years ago, yea

Completely missed that somehow. I guess this was the building they were in before:

c54iynbvngw41.jpg

OP
OP
TheMoon

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Completely missed that somehow. I guess this was the building they were in before:
what the hell, looking at this photo makes my head hurt oO lol

edit after mild recovery: that's when they moved from the Großostheim location to FFM City (Herriotstr.) and laid off most of their internal localization department in a switch to outsourcing. It was quite a big deal and the end of an era since Großostheim had been memorialized into actual game localizations back in the day (Secret of Evermore's intro is explicitly set in Großostheim, Germany in the German localization).

Last edited:

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
So, if i'm understanding the details on the two main platformers from the Mario Direct:
  • 3D All-Stars was overseen by EPD Group 8, with work on the remasters was split between 1-Up Studio, NERD (?) and iQue.
  • 3D World was ported over by NST (like Captain Toad was), while EPD Group 8 worked on Bowser's Fury themselves.
Based on that, can we assume that the EPD Tokyo job listing for a level designer on a "3D action game" (first posted last October) was for Bowser's Fury, and not anything like Odyssey 2? Are we expecting the 2D project from them next following 3D World?

OP
OP
TheMoon

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
So, if i'm understanding the details on the two main platformers from the Mario Direct:
  • 3D All-Stars was overseen by EPD Group 8, with work on the remasters was split between 1-Up Studio, NERD (?) and iQue.
  • 3D World was ported over by NST (like Captain Toad was), while EPD Group 8 worked on Bowser's Fury themselves.
Based on that, can we assume that the EPD Tokyo job listing for a level designer on a "3D action game" (first posted last October) was for Bowser's Fury, and not anything like Odyssey 2? Are we expecting the 2D project from them next following 3D World?
EAD Ninja addressed that first question a few posts up.

Why the question mark next to NERD, though? If you see something emulated or something regarding re-releases of old games that aren't remakes, your first thought should go to NERD these days.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Why the question mark next to NERD, though? If you see something emulated or something regarding re-releases of old games that aren't remakes, your first thought should go to NERD these days.
It's not entirely clear if any of the games included in 3D All-Stars are emulated; not that I doubt their involvement though.

Oct 26, 2017
I'd only consider that for 64 anyhow, they definitely don't have GCN and Wii emulation in the cards for a Switch.

You think they native ported over Sunshine to the Switch and didn't even bother changing the UI buttons after reworking a lot of the code for the Switch?

Or that they native ported Galaxy and failed to hit consistent 720p on the Switch?

These are definitely dumps to the Shield emulator.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
You think they native ported over Sunshine to the Switch and didn't even bother changing the UI buttons after reworking a lot of the code for the Switch?

Or that they native ported Galaxy and failed to hit consistent 720p on the Switch?

These are definitely dumps to the Shield emulator.

The UI is higher res so they've swapped the asset either way.

Also I'm fairly sure dynamic resolution would point more towards a port than emulation if anything.

Tialo

Dec 4, 2019
It is clear that EPD Tokyo had some resources on 3D Allstars and on 3D World Deluxe, but I can not imagine that so many staff members from them were involved into these projects. 3D Allstars doesn't seem to have much development effort and a lot of work should be done by NERD and iQue there.
The bonus content of Mario 3D World should have been more effort, but I think its clear that this new conent will rely on the excisting structure and mechanics of 3D World. So from a developments perspective, this could be seen as some kind of DLC.

I would expect that not more than 60-70 members of EPD Tokyo have been busy with the involvment into these two games. So most of their staff should have been busy over the last years with a big main project that is still unknown to us. This game has a high chance to be released somewhen in 2021 and I am very curios what kind of game this will be.

morromocotudo

Nov 19, 2017
- NERD was involved with Mario Kart Live: Home Circuit:

YzAr7SR.png

Source: https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2020/200917e.pdf

- Super Mario 3D All-Stars doesn't seem to have credits, but according to this interview, Kenta Motokura (director of 3D World and Odyssey and Assistant Manager of EPD Group No.8) acted as a producer:

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/09/14/tech/super-mario-bros-35th-anniversary-nintendo/index.html

"I hope that people who played these games before will play them again, like I'm doing. It not only brings back some nostalgic memories, but it may allow them to find there are plenty of fun things they haven't yet discovered," said Kenta Motokura, who directed "Super Mario Odyssey" and produced "Super Mario 3D All-Stars."

olobolger

Oct 31, 2017
Andalusia
Not a first party news, but I don't know if it was known, and I guess someone might be tracking this.

Retail edition of Minecraft Dungeons (european version at least) for Switch is distributed by Nintendo.

EAD Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Oct 27, 2017
Looks like Hyrule Warriors 2 and Fitness Boxing 2 are the November and December First-Party titles outside of Japan.

Japan might still get Detective Club as their closeout.

morromocotudo

Nov 19, 2017
A game designer who previously worked on God of War and God of War: Ascension at Santa Monica Studio is now working on Metroid Prime 4 as an environment designer.

NAQrrow.png

Plankton2

Dec 12, 2017
I sort of get the feeling Prime 4 is shaping up to be more cross gen than anything. I dunno once we get the specs details of what the switch pro/revision is and if it'll be a major change or not we'll get a better idea.

But that's just the impression I get with how the language and how they've been approaching their hirings.

N75

self-requested temp ban
Oct 25, 2017
Since this is another Vanpool project + Tadashi Kawai, it looks like most of the other leads behind Rainbow Curse and Battle Royale are still unaccounted for.

www.resetera.com

Nintendo First Party Thread |OT3| Internal x External x Publishing - What's cooking? Nintendo - OT

I should clarify that Tadashi Kawai, the Battle Royale director did actually work on Super Kirby Clash. However, the title is an enhanced version of the Planet Robobot subgame from the mainline team. Other leads in the spinoff team (Kazushige Masuda, Takashi Hamamura, Megumi Ohara) haven't...

Zoantharia

Oct 30, 2017
Man Mario Kart Tour just seems like such a massive waste of EPD9's talent and resources. Hopefully it didn't take too much away from them.