Status
Not open for further replies.

Samus_Aran

Jan 22, 2018
Eight weeks to go until the next first party Switch release.

Actually I would be cool with the next Direct not happening as long as there are games in the pipeline. I hope there will at least one cool title for February.

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
I still feel way too many people imagine Star Fox GP to be a racing game like Mario Kart or F-Zero when in reality it'll be a normal Star Fox game with an evolved formula where you race to the end of a normal Star Fox stage with normal Star Fox gameplay + the extra layer of competition.
Yeah I feel the same. I think a traditional "on rails" Starfox wouldn't really do well in the current market. A racing game that focuses on speed and multiplayer seems like a better fit. I imagine it will still have a traditional Starfox feel with enemies and stuff but with an added layer of racing to pump up the adreneline.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
so metroid restarted, a very disappointing q1 and the new main dragon ball skipping the switch at the announcement

yep, always the same situation. unless next direct deliver 5-6 big games
They're probably doing the smart thing. Bring a Switch version later that will sell a lot and get more people to double dip.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
I can't wait until we can finally stop calling it "Grand Prix". That's a VERY boring subtitle for a racing game.
I just read comments about Donkey Kong being in Star Fox GP and I'm like... What do you even think this game is going to be!?
Ah, you're referring to my post. What do I think the game will be? Exactly how you described it before. My question is: why exactly wouldn't DK be able to fit within a Star Fox style game? While the gameplay in GP would likely be just like a regular Star Fox game, i'm expecting the tone to be a bit different, and I could easily see a few guest characters sparingly make it in. As fellow animal characters, DK would be the easiest series to include.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
They're probably doing the smart thing. Bring a Switch version later that will sell a lot and get more people to double dip.

Nah, that's something I could begrudgingly accept for games in the first year or even second, where they may have legitimately not planned a switch version early enough in development to get them out day and date, because the Wii u bombed so hard.

Companies have absolutely no business pulling that nonsense routinely now to treat switch owners as an afterthought. Could you imagine how the industry treating Sony releases the same way, getting games many months late because they might buy it twice would be taken by players?

If they don't want to release day and date, the games can bomb for all I care. People wanted dark souls 1 for switch and when that couldn't make it, the game failed to meet expectations everywhere.

@dedmunk

Banned
Oct 11, 2018
Wasn't there an interview a while back where they said they expected more third party games to drop day and date on Switch now that it's two years into its life?

I guess 1 is more than 0

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I can't wait until we can finally stop calling it "Grand Prix". That's a VERY boring subtitle for a racing game.

Ah, you're referring to my post. What do I think the game will be? Exactly how you described it before. My question is: why exactly wouldn't DK be able to fit within a Star Fox style game? While the gameplay in GP would likely be just like a regular Star Fox game, i'm expecting the tone to be a bit different, and I could easily see a few guest characters sparingly make it in. As fellow animal characters, DK would be the easiest series to include.
Do you have a better name? Star Fox Fucking Retro Garbage sounds better to me.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Such a cool looking Nintendo character.

latest

They really should do something to help his publicity.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"Star Fox but with some Racing-y Bits" sounds like a shitty racing game. Which is bad if you're pitching this with racing terminology like "Grand Prix".

Seriously, I can't wrap my head around this in a way that makes it sound good. Kinda like how people were seemingly confused at OnRush at the start

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
"Star Fox Racing" is fine, just like "Diddy Kong Racing" was fine. For a spin-off like this being descriptive is more important than being "unique."

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They're clearly saving Dillon for Diddy Kong Racing 2. Right alongside Rusty and Mallo.

It's totally happening, right?
We (mainly I) discussed this on GAF. At the time I was wondering if Retro was working on Diddy King Racing 2.

They worked on Mario Kart 7. I figured to get some experience. Diddy Kong was missing from Mario Kart 8. I think there was something else too I can't remmeber.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
We (mainly I) discussed this on GAF. At the time I was wondering if Retro was working on Diddy King Racing 2.

They worked on Mario Kart 7. I figured to get some experience. Diddy Kong was missing from Mario Kart 8. I think there was something else too I can't remmeber.
Yeah, I remember reading a few threads about some old DKR2 rumors when I lurked on Gaf. There was some speculation about Monster Games and Retro working on it together, as the former worked on the DKCR 3DS port and assisted Retro with Tropical Freeze.

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
look at these guys. that's a full Space Animals team ready to go
aVqiXWD.jpg

looking forward to the intense rivalry between Nomad and Octoman

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I remember reading a few threads about some old DKR2 rumors when I lurked on Gaf. There was some speculation about Monster Games and Retro working on it together, as the former worked on the DKCR 3DS port and assisted Retro with Tropical Freeze.
There was this.

https://kevincallahangames.wordpress.com/2014/07/09/the-strange-development-of-diddy-kong-racing-2/

Kensuke Tanabe, the producer of Donkey Kong Country Returns and Tropical Freeze, pitched the idea of Dillon (from Dillon's Rolling Western) to be one of the racers in the game. Tanabe was the producer of Dillon's Rolling Western, and he liked the idea of having a roster of lesser known Nintendo characters.

If there ever was any truth to this it looked like it would been a collaboration with Retro and Monster Games, like you said.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
There was this.

https://kevincallahangames.wordpress.com/2014/07/09/the-strange-development-of-diddy-kong-racing-2/

If there ever was any truth to this it looked like it would been a collaboration with Retro and Monster Games, like you said.
Yeah, that blog post is exactly what I based my earlier post on (it also mentions Mallo and Rusty).

The "obscure Nintendo characters" idea is super interesting. They should revisit the idea again (and definitely include Captain Rainbow. I mean, his game is based around that very concept).

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
It sounds so right too. Those types of characters are who you would represent in a Diddy King Racing game.
I really hope they revisit that idea in the future. Gimme a Nintendo roster with charcters like:
  • Dillon
  • Mallo
  • Chibi-Robo and Telly Vision
  • Wonder Red
  • Nick / Captain Rainbow
  • Rusty
  • Starfy
  • Vince
  • Orange Star Commanders (Andy, Sami and Max)
  • Doshin
  • Lip
  • Savvy Stylist
etc.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
what great games? I've already played nsmbu on wii u and vesperia back in the time

Since Dec 7th until March 28th a ton of quality content is releasing. There's Monster Boy, Katamari Damacy, Travis Strikes Again, Wargroove, Gris, Desert Child, Onimusha, Caligula Overdose, Dragon Marked for Death, AWAY, Blazblue Central Fiction, the Liar Princess, Fate Extella Link, Trials Rising, Princess Guide, Atelier Nelke and many more that I didn't think of or that haven't been dated yet. There's a ton of games to play this Q1, both retail or not, both indie or not.

Kiraly

Oct 30, 2017
Since Dec 7th until March 28th a ton of quality content is releasing. There's Monster Boy, Katamari Damacy, Travis Strikes Again, Wargroove, Gris, Desert Child, Onimusha, Caligula Overdose, Dragon Marked for Death, AWAY, Blazblue Central Fiction, the Liar Princess, Fate Extella Link, Trials Rising, Princess Guide, Atelier Nelke and many more that I didn't think of or that haven't been dated yet. There's a ton of games to play this Q1, both retail or not, both indie or not.

You cannot possibly for a moment think any of those games have widespread appeal.

Nov 3, 2017
Serious question: do people in Sony First Party threads also go "ugh now that Detroit is out there's nothing to play until Spider-Man" or something along those lines?

Deleted member 36622

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
it's a shame that you're not interested in all the great games releasing in that period then

February is disappointing no matter how you put it. It would have been relatively easy for them to stick a Wii U port, and i still hope there is a Direct coming soon cause it would solve this issue.

If you want to keep a platform alive and growing you have to space your releases better and avoid droughts as much as possible, that's a lesson i hope they learned from Wii and other previous consoles. Maybe you think they don't need it now, but if you start to do this every year, consumers will notice and then you create the stigma of most of their previous consoles ("Where are the games?").

I hope Nintendo doesn't fall again in their old behaviour of "oh we did extremely well for the first 2 years, so now we can slow down everything".

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Serious question: do people in Sony First Party threads also go "ugh now that Detroit is out there's nothing to play until Spider-Man" or something along those lines?
The vast majority of Sony games go for exactly the same type of audience, which is exactly the kind of audience that abounds in forums like this one. It is difficult that if you like TLOU you do not like God of War or you are not interested in Horizon Zero Dawn.

On the other hand you can be a Smash Bros fan and not interested in Animal Crossing or enjoy as a child with Super Mario Party and hate Xenoblade.

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017

I can't really answer the question because I don't visit the Sony threads but I assume that they are not doing it simply because the PS4 has fantastic 3rd party support. Eventhough Sony has not nearly the same amount of 1st party stuff as Nintendo they at least have 3rd parties they can rely on.

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
February is disappointing no matter how you put it. It would have been relatively easy for them to stick a Wii U port, and i still hope there is a Direct coming soon cause it would solve this issue.

If you want to keep a platform alive and growing you have to space your releases better and avoid droughts as much as possible, that's a lesson i hope they learned from Wii and other previous consoles. Maybe you think they don't need it, but if you start to do this every year, consumers will notice and then you create the stigma of most of their previous consoles ("Where are the games?").

I hope Nintendo doesn't fall again in their old behaviour of "oh we did extremely well for the first 2 years, so now we can slow down everything".

If you're worried sales wise, then don't unless you're a shareholder. You shouldn't give a fuck about the reputation of a console on hardcore niche gaming sites unless you're financially invested in the console.

Your only worry should be if you're playing the games you want on it and if they're good.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
This is just dishonest.
Is it a lie that most of Sony's big games go for the demography of the adult core audience that wants games with realistic graphics and weight in the story?

I know they have things like PlayLink and Ratchet and Clank but most of the marketing is not in those games. Most big games are usually PEGI 16 or PEGI 18, which makes it clear that they are aimed at an adult audience.

Jonneh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
UK
I don't get it. Are you trying to prevent backlash if it's not true or something? Many have said they heard it. Is there some new info you have that they're not working on Star Fox?

Someone from GameXplain said they heard it. Damiani said from his source he also heard it (Easy Allies). Liam said he heard it. He said he spoke with an employee at/near Retro and they were ecstatic to be working on Star Fox. He still stands by it.
I don't recall any of us confirming it

Not to say it isn't real

Status
Not open for further replies.