• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

jariw

Oct 27, 2017
Finished it a few months back, my GOTY so far, loved it! Kind of disappointed we didn't hear anything from Image & Form in any of the recent directs as I'm itching for a Steamworld Dig 3!

There are lots of info about games that doesn't appear in the Directs. A remake/rerelease of Anthill seems to be Image & Form's next game appearing on Switch:

OP
OP
tolkir

tolkir

Oct 25, 2017
Game of the Day

mgqoa1ojxlvniisxs04y_lodln.jpg

Unwind and enjoy the slow life in Yonder: The Cloud Catcher Chronicles, a relaxing open-world adventure game.

Yonder is set in the world of Gemea. A natural island paradise with eight distinct environments ranging from tropical beaches to snow-capped summits.

But Gemea is not as perfect as it seems. The mysterious Murk has taken hold of the land!

As the hero of Gemea, you can seek out the hidden and whimsical creatures known as Sprites. Use their power to clear the Murk and restore nature's beauty.

As you explore Gemea, you can barter with friendly locals, discover unique materials to craft with, befriend the adorable wildlife and even create your own working farm.

Yonder offers a world to lose yourself in; a world filled with the wonder of discovery and the spirit of adventure.

giphy.gif
giphy.gif

$23.99/€19.99/£18.39 (20% off sale until 09/24) - NA web - EU web - Trailer

Last 6 GOTD
09/16 - Aegis Defenders
09/15 - The Banner Saga
09/14 - Teslagrad
09/13 - Pato Box
09/12 - Inside
09/11 - Worms W.M.D

Oilvomer

Banned for use of an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What an absolute brilliant game Yokus island express was, finished it in one day...hope it sold well for them as it deserves a sequel

Heisenberg

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't know where to ask this question, so I'll post it here haha.

I just bough a Switch with a Breath of the Wild and Mario Odyssey. My TV broke last week and I'm not planning on buying a new one until sometime in October, when I have some money saved to buy a nice one. Is it a good idea / playable to play both of these games soley in handheld mode? I have a really nice pair of Bose QC 35's, so I feel like it would be a pretty cool experience. Any opinions or experience playing Zelda or Mario in only handheld mode would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Dee Dee

Nov 2, 2017

I just bough a Switch with a Breath of the Wild and Mario Odyssey. My TV broke last week and I'm not planning on buying a new one until sometime in October, when I have some money saved to buy a nice one. Is it a good idea / playable to play both of these games soley in handheld mode? I have a really nice pair of Bose QC 35's, so I feel like it would be a pretty cool experience. Any opinions or experience playing Zelda or Mario in only handheld mode would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I personally don't care about graphics or big screens, but there are some areas with slowdown in Zelda which I think perform even worse in docked mode - so yeah, handheld is actually a good experience here. (They fixed some of the slowdown in a patch, so not sure how it compares now.)

For Mario Odyssey keep in mind that handheld mode won't let you use motion controls - unless you play in tablet mode, which is also an option.
Some moves can only be done via motion controls, some people say it will be hard to get 100% moons without them.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games

Go for it. Great either way.

Youabra

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Spain
I haven't played that much of FF15PEHD (Try to say that 3 times in a row) but from what I've played, either i should be using a better sd card, or the loading times are quite longer from what I expected.
I seriously thought it the game froze or something due to how long it stayed on a black screen the first time booted it up.

That aside, I really like it. The combat is simple enough for everyone to jump in. I also like that when in a 'Choose a dialogue' moment, you get small rewards depending on what you chose. Shame about the faces not having any emotions ("OH NO, THIS BAD THING HAPPENED" Noctis: >:I). I know this a port of a mobile game, but couldn't at least animate them for the HD version?

BTW, do you need to do something in order to use magic? I've unlocked the abitity to use Fire+, Ice+ and Thunder+, but it doesn't show up during battle.

P-MAC

Nov 15, 2017

I played both switching between modes but probably majority in portable. Zelda makes no difference except the size of the screen, Mario you will be missing out on the motion controls, but they are pretty bad anyway and it feels much better with the normal controls. If you're new to switch it should be pretty novel and awesome.

jariw

Oct 27, 2017
What an absolute brilliant game Yokus island express was, finished it in one day...hope it sold well for them as it deserves a sequel

It doesn't seem like Yoku sold a lot at full price, but the US/EU sales seems to have attracted quite a few new players. I think the word of mouth for the game has generally been very good, so it will probably continue to sell in the future.

fourfourfun

Oct 27, 2017
England

I switched between both. Having Zelda, while curled up on a chair with a brew next to you or on a train with your head in cans, in portable mode is just as engrossing as big screen mode. I have no idea why, but there is a level of engagement with the portable mode that you just cannot quantify.

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
Oct 25, 2017
I'll just chime in here and say that while SteamWorld Dig 2 didn't blow me away, I also thought it was quite enjoyable. I definitely think the game is way overhyped, but it's still very good.

Primate Ryan

Oct 27, 2017
Well, that second part of Broken Age was a bit harder and more interesting in terms of puzzles.

I had a lot of trouble with one particular puzzle, which is probably the infamous puzzle that is also mentioned in the description on the eShop
I'm referring to the snake.
I actually tried it before as well. Pretty nasty.

Overall a great, well-rounded point-and-click adventure with puzzles that get harder and more fun towards the end. And more games need talking cutlery.

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
I still think SteamWorld Dig 2 and Heist are two of the best eShop games on the Switch.

Any word if the devs are working on the next game for either?

ThankDougie

Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Buffalo
Damn, the really are too many good games available on the Switch right now. I loved Steamworld Heist and am anxious to play Dig 2. But on top of that, I still want to try:

Doom
Wasteland 2
Captain Toad (I played the demo and ... I could see getting addicted to that quickly)
Mario + Rabbids
Ikaruga
Toki Tori 2+
Cave Story+
Dead Cells

AAAAND I think Dust and Yoku's Island Express look super interesting and good.

SEND HALP

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Finished The Messenger finally.

Great game. It took me a bit to get a hold on the second part of the game, but once I did it was great fun.

Lylo

Oct 25, 2017
The Swindle coming to Switch.

This was one of my most-played games on the Vita, a fantastic 2D stealth/heist game. Reviews don't reflect the later update it got that addressed a couple of bugs. Fantastic little game.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...owards_a_brand_new_heist_on_switch_next_month

Oh shit! My wife has an unhealthy amount of hours in this game since we got it for free on PS+, if i buy this game on Switch i can say good bye to it...

Slam Tilt

Jan 16, 2018
The Swindle coming to Switch.

This was one of my most-played games on the Vita, a fantastic 2D stealth/heist game. Reviews don't reflect the later update it got that addressed a couple of bugs. Fantastic little game.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...owards_a_brand_new_heist_on_switch_next_month
I was holding out for Mark of the Ninja, but this looks like it'll scratch the same itch. And having randomly generated levels should mean lots of replayability, yes?

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I was holding out for Mark of the Ninja, but this looks like it'll scratch the same itch. And having randomly generated levels should mean lots of replayability, yes?
Yes- you have 100 days to steal the Basilisk, which means up to 100 heists (although you can extend it a bit). Each heist is one level that takes up one day, with you going to wealthier areas for more ill-gotten gains. I've played it through several times and while you see the same enemies etc, the levels change a lot, and also do so during the game as you blow up walls and take out doors and windows etc. It's very replayable, like the best 'rogue-like' games it's got that built in one-more-run appeal, even more so as your thief only has 1hp, a single mistake can end the run instantly. By the end, runs take longer as you case the joint, looking for weaknesses in the layered defences, but you also have far more tool options to adapt your own style too.

There's some lovely thematic music/ambient noise as the ticking of the clock in the background encourages you to rush, when really the game is a mix of playing slowly until you get spotted, and then everything goes really hectic, really fast! The bonus rewards for a) getting everything in the level and b) escaping without being seen really reward good play too, it doesn't mean you can't still destroy much of the security, it's just a case of not being seen while you do it.

Last edited:

chronomac

Oct 25, 2017
Mobile, AL
Ten new eShop pages:

The Swindle (September 17, $14.99)
Tricky Towers (September 17, $14.99)
Debris Infinity (September 21, $4.99)
A Gummy's Life (September 25, $14.99)
Ultimate Chicken Horse (September 25, $14.99)
Snake vs Snake (September 26, $2.79)
Pilot Sports (September 27, $34.99)
Alwa's Awakening (September 27, $9.99)
Demon's Crystals (September 28, $14.99)
LEGO Harry Potter Collection (October 30, $49.99)

Pretty sure Swindle and Tricky Towers hit on October 11. They're just listed as today on the eShop site. The latter has a launch discount ($11.99 is the discounted price).

Last edited:

AerialAir

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Anybody tried Old School Musical yet? I'm very busy with other stuff, but a good rhythm game could do for bus rides and the like.
I just tried for about half an hour, and I must say I was really enjoying it! I'm not even the rhythm game kind of guy, never actually liked any besides Theatrhythm, but I must say, OSM is good.

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Trying to power through Okami HD, but have to admit, I haven't really fallen in love with it yet :/

(first time playing)

Phil32

Oct 28, 2017
Any Yonder players here? I've considered this for ages for a bit of chill gaming. Don't know if it is any good or not.

I second that, those gifs above look lovely !

It's very calming, but it can be a bit overwhelming with all that you can do. Just note that Yonder's core gameplay loop is basically doing a lot of gathering for materials to create things and complete tasks for NPCs. I really enjoyed the game regardless!

GulAtiCa

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Also, long time coming, but will finally finally work on getting my indie game out on NA Wii U eShop (Drop It: Block Paradise!) in next few months. Finally got around to work on it again

fourfourfun

Oct 27, 2017
England
It's very calming, but it can be a bit overwhelming with all that you can do. Just note that Yonder's core gameplay loop is basically doing a lot of gathering for materials to create things and complete tasks for NPCs. I really enjoyed the game regardless!

I played No Man's Sky, I think this can fit what I want! :D

Is it---and this comes from a lack of knowledge of both titles---like a 3D Stardew Valley? I have that and keep meaning to get stuck into it.

Youabra

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Something tells me I should get a new SD card ASAP.
When installed on the SD card, FF15 wasn't running that great, but now that I've redownloaded it this time on the Switch itself, it goes way faster than before.
Which is weird, because it's a 10 Class SD card. Yes, it's only 16gb and I had for a few years, but I'm surprised it gave me problems when playing ff15. Didn't have problems when i used with my 3DS/WiiU.

Last edited:

Phil32

Oct 28, 2017
I played No Man's Sky, I think this can fit what I want! :D

Is it---and this comes from a lack of knowledge of both titles---like a 3D Stardew Valley? I have that and keep meaning to get stuck into it.

Well, I have limited knowledge on Stardew Valley due to not having played it yet (and not wanting to lose my social life to it, ha), but there is some farming you can do in the game. It's much less involved and much more basic than I imagine a Harvest Moon-inspired game like Stardew Valley would be.

There are also Sprites to collect in Yonder, which are hidden all over the place, found from solving simple puzzles, completing quests, and just discovering them through exploration. There are patches of dark miasma that require a certain amount of Sprites to clear up. Once you do so, you gain access to new areas of the map, as well as new farms to put buildings on (crafted through the materials you find throughout the world).

That's the bare basics of the game. I do have a review I wrote on my solo gaming site that I could give you if you have an interest in reading in-depth thoughts. (I'm in the middle of writing an article for a different site, or I'd go into further detail on the game right now. ha)

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games

GulAtiCa

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I was confused because I thought Antipole DX came out and I never heard about it and now they're removing it already but then I realized they're removing the original game, Antipole. So Antipole DX is completely dead, I assume ... :/

edit: okay their twitter implies it's still alive ...oO
It's alive, but cancelled for Nintendo platforms. So, if you have Steam or PS4, get it there.