• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Does Switch need folders?

• Yes

Votes: 177 35.0%
  • JackNicholsonYes.gif

Votes: 127 25.1%
  • Yes... And themes, don't forget the new themes.

Votes: 212 42.0%
  • I like to live in the chaos.

Votes: 95 18.8%
  • Folder 2: The Dark UI

Votes: 59 11.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ninjadom

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
PS4 version is 30fps as well, but has better visuals.
...Oh. I had assumed it'd be 60. 99% of the time I couldn't care less about 30 vs 60 but this seems like a game that would benefit from a full 60. Guess that means I'll get the Switch version. I don't care about the loss of shadows at all.
Now where's Hydra Castle Labyrinth, Super 1001 Spikes EX and and 90s Super GT?
Seriously. I need these.

Last edited:

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished Mark of the Ninja Remastered. It was my first time with the game and really enjoyed it, I can see why people talk so highly of it. I really want to try Starlink but I'm going to be getting Diablo 3 in a couple of weeks so I think I'll hold off for now.

It's Ubi so I wouldn't put it past them to put the game on sale for a Black Friday sale. Honestly pretty excited about the sales this year, got a lot of eshop credit and a big vacation in December.

Deleted member 3700

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
Dark Souls broke street date in some places. Many people are saying that it is smoother in handheld mode than docked. Hopefully Digital Foundry will cover it.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure how this is possible but I'll take it :)

There are a couple other games that have this problem given the docked scaling increases the resolution and can thus impact performance. Forgetting which games off the top of my head but a couple do.

I would assume it is running at 1080p on the tv and some sub-hd resolution on the handheld.

Dranakin

Oct 27, 2017
Wasn't planning on buying Jackbox Party Park 5 at launch, but the sale on the eShop made this an instant purchase. I won't get to play it for awhile, but hopefully it'll be a big hit the next time I have friends over.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Uh. So it's been a month since Nintendo Online Services launched and I couldn't help but notice two things:

Still no info whatsoever on those "Special Offers." Really cool to sell a service with a promise and not deliver before a 1 month sub expires.

Number two, I guess NOS had nothing to do with MyNintendo rewards on Switch because still no Switch rewards.

Oct 27, 2017
NYC
People, Starlink is great! I read TheMoon's OT here but didn't go beyond his 1st post- just wanted a refresher as the mega 6gb Day 1 update was downloading.

After 5 hours of Undocked only, it's been a fantastic experience! Ubi style action RPG player stats are abound with their trademark informative (sometimes too much so) menus. Pilots have unique skills trees, ships have varying stats, & weapons can be upgraded & modded too. The graphics look wonderful & performance has been fine for me. 1x personal peeve are the English voice talents... I'm not fond of it, though the sound design & the OST are good enough. I'm actually listening to the French dub with subs & wow, what a difference! Unfortunately, there isn't a Japanese track.

Further,

The physical Starfox set is unwieldy because you'll need to occasionally sync the toys you Own to play Starlink in handheld mode (without using the ship, partial controller, + Joycons). So, purchasing other toys, weapons, & pilots will require synching & re-synching should you wish to load a different ship + another pair of weapons before launching/replaying a mission. Obviously, this is to discourage gamers to "share" these toys & to purchase their own models.

A cool but imo, ultimately cumbersome gameplay mechanic is- you can swap weapons in real-time during missions too. But to do this, you'll need to use Ubi's controller with ship attached.

I have never played a Starfox title but, none of the other usable pilots caught my attention. A talking French Fox wins everyday haha...!

In terms of the toys, one of the wings on my ship is loose but attached. The pilot models are decent, though the connecting tech seems to be hard electrical foam...? Idk how many inserts/reinserts this can take. I am definitely more interested in the weapons & ships on the eShop. I'm conflicted to buying more physical toys even when their on sale because using this clunky controller in the heat of battle is a pain.

If interested in Starlink, definitely consider the Digital Deluxe Edition.

Another fact I've learned from the OT is, there's local co-op... Docked. Wow, if it's a fun mode... I may double-dip on the PS4 version!

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Uh. So it's been a month since Nintendo Online Services launched and I couldn't help but notice two things:

Still no info whatsoever on those "Special Offers." Really cool to sell a service with a promise and not deliver before a 1 month sub expires.

Number two, I guess NOS had nothing to do with MyNintendo rewards on Switch because still no Switch rewards.

We've known what the Special Offers are since before launch. The first two are the option to purchase the NES Controllers and the exclusive Splatoon in-game gear. There will be more things like this in the future. "Special Offers" doesn't refer to game discounts, as the Gold Coins already accomplish this (in Nintendo's view, at least).

Baladium

Banned
Apr 18, 2018
Sleep Deprivation Zone
Still nothing about Phantasy Star this week? I'm in the middle of TWEWY Final Remix, but I kind of also can't wait for the game to come out so I can play through it.

Nope, nothing. Checked the Japanese eShop a few hours ago just in case there was an unlikely stealth release. You would think next Thursday would be the day, but there's a real possibility it slipped to November.

"Special offers" (lol): https://www.nintendo.com/switch/online-service/special-offers/

And pretty sure the redeemable gold coins for eShop credit is the extent of what we're getting instead of Switch game rewards. I'd guess they'll just cycle old 3DS and Wii U discounts in and out of rotation for the next year or so before dropping those and offering only wallpapers and rewards for their increasing library of mobile apps (although oddly they don't have any for Dragalia Lost despite promoting it on the front page).

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
Knock-knock is coming to Switch and it's only $/€6.66.

Day one for me. I have this game on at least two other platforms, but I'll finally play it on Switch. At least that's far less painful than the fact I'm doing the same with Civ VI and Diablo III.

Yomawari is also on the coming soon page in US now, and Gal Metal is there for EU.

Have there been any impressions for Gal Metal? Intrigued.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Well let's just agree that an upsetting number of Switch ports, whether they be big studio efforts or little indies, are frustratingly sub-par and fail to meet expectations.

Mark of the Ninja runs at 30fps, for chris's sake.

When the issues are that wide spread it's pretty clear to me that optimization on Switch is difficult, not that developers aren't trying.
Agreed on that.

On that note, what the hell is up with Klei not addressing this Ninja issue and that 60/30 bug which clearly is a bug (one way or another since the game does run at 60 until hitting a load screen).

But isn't it complete package with no micro transactions? I don't think these games should be compared to their free to play mobile versions.
Yes. As all these mobile-to-Switch ports are. There's also a sequel coming soon that is exclusive to Switch/PC.

Herb Alpert

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Paris, France
I'm looking forward to seeing what people think of Black Bird (comes out tomorrow). I actually picked up Million Onion Hotel on iOS earlier in the week and it's really fun and does a good job of working the bizarre worldbuilding into its mechanics, and the trailer for Black Bird looks really promising in a similar way. The humor in Onion Hotel is uhhhh very hit-or-miss for me though, like it's almost mid-00s Newgrounds type stuff at times.

20 dollars puts it slightly outside of a 'just try it' price range for me, so I'll probably wait for others' impressions.

Very interested by this game too. Looking forward for impressions, I hope it isn't too short and that is some variety in the art.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Hope that Okami sale will be available in Europe. Want to play that finally and see what the fuss is about.

Epilexia

Jan 27, 2018
A friendly reminder that if Rockstar announces at some point 'Red Dead Redemption' for Switch, they are a company with hundreds of millions of dollars to invest in marketing.

We will read the news in every single web, we will have dedicated threads in Era, every single Nintendo web will publish a review of the game in the release week.

But these eShop threads were created to talk and give visibility to small games, made by small developers, normally with zero dollars to invest in things like marketing.

At this point, for most of the new Switch releases, it's almost impossible to find online reviews in the release week.

So it will be cool if we don't derail these eShop threads talking about unannounced games, and try to focus instead in some of the amazing releases this month.

This week, we have a landmark in video game history with the release of 'Black Bird': the first console release made by Yoshiro Kimura in the last 12 years.

253572-Kimura.jpg

It has been a long time, we have missed you, Kimura-san.

Phife Dawg

Oct 27, 2017
A friendly reminder that if Rockstar announces at some point 'Red Dead Redemption' for Switch, they are a company with hundreds of millions of dollars to invest in marketing.

We will read the news in every single web, we will have dedicated threads in Era, every single Nintendo web will publish a review of the game in the release week.

But these eShop threads were created to talk and give visibility to small games, made by small developers, normally with zero dollars to invest in things like marketing.

At this point, for most of the new Switch releases, it's almost impossible to find online reviews in the release week.

So it will be cool if we don't derail these eShop threads talking about unannounced games, and try to focus instead in some of the amazing releases this month.

This week, we have a landmark in video game history with the release of 'Black Bird': the first console release made by Yoshiro Kimura in the last 12 years.

253572-Kimura.jpg

It has been a long time, we have missed you, Kimura-san.

Yeah, loved Little Kings, cool dude. Bought Black Bird blindly on the trailer alone. Will give some impressions later.

Epilexia

Jan 27, 2018
Yeah, loved Little Kings, cool dude. Bought Black Bird blindly on the trailer alone. Will give some impressions later.

If Satoru Iwata was alive today, he will be very proud of seeing 'Black Bird' and 'Work x Work' released in the same month.

This is the Japanese independent video game industry that the envisioned.

OP
OP
tolkir

tolkir

Oct 25, 2017
Game of the Day

va05ustg7x8nevde6rtr0yydqn.jpg

The metal wrecking, robot hacking shooter you've been waiting for!

Blast your way through insanely spectacular battles in this hard, fast & hilarious action game. Better than ever on Nintendo Switch™!

"Some of the most memorable moments in a shoot-em-up in years" – GameSpot

Exclusive to the Ultimate Edition on Nintendo Switch:
  • Play with a friend in Copilot Mode
  • HD Rumble effects let you truly feel the action
  • More achievements: 48 and counting
  • Loads faster, plays smoother, tweaked to perfection
About RIVE:

Pilot your spider tank as it runs, jumps and shoots its way through hordes of mechanical enemies on land, underwater, in zero gravity and even on a moving train.

RIVE is a modern ode to classic shooters, pumping megapixels at a deliciously smooth 60 frames per second!
  • Hack and control your enemies
  • Upgrade your special attacks, armor and loot magnet
  • Quirky story featuring robot butlers, space loot and clean teeth
  • Daily Challenges and infinite Battle Arenas
  • Speedrun and Single-Credit modes
  • Online leaderboards for all modes and missions
RIVE is Two Tribes' last game ever, so we hope you appreciate this Ultimate Edition as much as we appreciate our loyal Nintendo fans… that's YOU!

giphy.gif
giphy.gif

$14.99/€14.99/£13.49 - NA web - EU web - Trailer

10/17 - Layers of Fear: Legacy (Recommended by tolkir)
10/16 - Flinthook
10/15 - Lumo
10/14 - Thimbleweed Park
10/13 - Toki Tori
10/12 - Just Shapes & Beats

Lite_Agent

Oct 26, 2017
Somewhere. I think.
NA:

• Nintendo eShop on Nintendo Switch
    • DARK SOULS: REMASTERED – Re-experience the critically acclaimed, genre-defining game that started it all. In this beautifully remastered game, return to Lordran in stunning detail. DARK SOULS: REMASTERED includes the main game plus the Artorias of the Abyss DLC. The DARK SOULS: REMASTERED game is available Oct. 19.
    • Zarvot – This is a game of cubes – tiny, adorable cubes with hopes, dreams, unrequited loves … and unlimited destructive power. In Story Mode, you'll follow the adventures of Charcoal and Mustard as they search for the ultimate birthday present to cheer up their best friend, Red – who is feeling quite blue. In Multiplayer Mode, invite your friends and challenge them to cutthroat competitive cube combat.
    • Just Dance 2019 – The Just Dance 2019 game features 40 hot tracks from chart-topping hits to family favorites, including "Havana" by Camila Cabello, "I Feel It Coming" by The Weeknd ft. Daft Punk and more. Your Just Dance experience is now personalized as the game learns your dancing habits and suggests content. Just Dance 2019 launches Oct. 23.
Nintendo eShop sales:
Activities:
  • Luigi's Mansion My Nintendo Platinum Points – Can you help Luigi find the FOUR hidden Boos on the Luigi's Mansion website? You can earn 25 My Nintendo Platinum Points* for each Boo you find.
  • Nintendo Account Linking Event! –You can redeem 300 Platinum Points within My Nintendo before 11 p.m. PT on Oct. 22 for 20 Leaf Tickets that can be used in the Animal Crossing: Pocket Camp app! Details can be found by visiting https://my.nintendo.com/news/18e13ab8c6e6e2bd.
Also new this week:

Phife Dawg

Oct 27, 2017
If Satoru Iwata was alive today, he will be very proud of seeing 'Black Bird' and 'Work x Work' released in the same month.

Yes, the scene is is thriving, I for one am very glad.

Quick Black Bird impressions: so this is basically Fantasy Zone super whack edition. You control a raven of sorts that spouts...balls I guess. You can level up speed etc. You got bombs (can be leveled too) and life points (only one life though). You can fly left or right and have to shoot spawn guys and keep your combo up. Then you face a boss - pretty straight forward. The music is great - kind of like a love child of Mr Bungle and opera. Only scratched the surface but I like it, you unlock rankings and practice after your first run.

smisk

Oct 27, 2017
Really don't think it's likely that we'll get RDR.. It's never been re-released on PC or anything and I remember hearing rumors that the source code is a mess.

Anyone have the Hori Dpad Joycon? Just saw it's been released in the US and is only $25. Can't say I love any of the designs but the lack of a real dpad has been bothering me lately so I might grab it.

KingDrool

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, the scene is is thriving, I for one am very glad.

Quick Black Bird impressions: so this is basically Fantasy Zone super whack edition. You control a raven of sorts that spouts...balls I guess. You can level up speed etc. You got bombs (can be leveled too) and life points (only one life though). You can fly left or right and have to shoot spawn guys and keep your combo up. Then you face a boss - pretty straight forward. The music is great - kind of like a love child of Mr Bungle and opera. Only scratched the surface but I like it, you unlock rankings and practice after your first run.

I was already sold on this game, since it's made by the Chulip guy. But these bolded parts just made it more exciting for me. Thanks for the impressions!

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished Mark of the Ninja Remastered. It was my first time with the game and really enjoyed it, I can see why people talk so highly of it. I really want to try Starlink but I'm going to be getting Diablo 3 in a couple of weeks so I think I'll hold off for now.

It's Ubi so I wouldn't put it past them to put the game on sale for a Black Friday sale. Honestly pretty excited about the sales this year, got a lot of eshop credit and a big vacation in December.

Same reason why I held off on Starlink. This time of year, it'll be half off in a month of two. Even still, it's still tempting.

Oct 30, 2017
WORKxWORK isn't an indie game and, sadly, seems pretty mediocre from what I've read and seen these past few days. Some funny dialogues and crazy characters, cute art style, but extremely limited in terms of scope and gameplay. Loadings get a tad annoying, too.

ryushe

Oct 27, 2017
Man, despite 100% it on console and PC, these Dark Souls reviews are getting me hyped again for that game.

The thing is, I really don't want to bother with some of those bosses/areas again. That and the last 3rd of that game kind of suck.

Jazzem

Feb 2, 2018
Grabbed Ikaruga and End is Nigh in the EU eshop sale!

Ikaruga (in tate mode at least) might have the best image quality I've seen on an undocked Switch game, looks super clean with whatever AA they've used. Can't wait for the flipgrip to arrive for this <3

End is Nigh is absolutely sublime! No idea why I didn't get to this sooner as a huge Super Meat Boy fan. Alas I'm put off on getting the SMB Switch port due to the different soundtrack, happy to go with the spiritual successor in TEIN

Last edited:

Gong

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
Kinda tempted by The Binding of Isaac+ from the EU eshop sale, seems a bit daunting but looks so good. Decisions, decisions...

Bazry

Oct 30, 2017
Mega Man X games are on sale in UK, can anyone check if the 30th Anniversary bundle is up?