• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
Horizon Chase seems to be going down well. Had my eye on it for a while, but it's going to have to wait. Too many games to save for next month.

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
Yeah I was asking because someone mentioned wanting to use this method for future AGES releases in the OT, and when I looked up some games on the JP eShop that I had purchased on the US one, I noticed they were marked as "purchased"... Except I'm actually using different accounts, so using the same doesn't seem to be a requirement.

It will show them as purchased because you're accessing the eShop with the same flagged Switch console that you used to purchase the games on a different region but it won't allow you to re-download them from a different eShop/account. You'll need access the eShop with the specific account you've used previously to finalize the purchase to be allowed to re-download and such.

Where is the best place to order the Hori joycon in the UK?

I grabbed mine from Amazon.es but I think every Amazon have them nowadays

ThankDougie

Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Buffalo
So I finally put a nail in Steredenn and made it through at least one loop (phew!). I have Doom and Curse of the Necrodancer on my plate next, but I'd love to play something kind of chill on my Switch. Been playing a lot of roguelites and slightly more difficult games with a lot of hard grinding... anyone have any suggestions for something cheap and relaxing (say... $25 and under)?

I like all kinds of games, but have found myself enjoying platformers and lite RPGs or Metroidvanias lately. Bloodstained, Hollow Knight, Steamworld Dig 2, Steredenn, and Enter the Gungeon have all been great... I just want something that doesn't increase my heart rate two-fold!

I'm looking at Rayman Legends, Moonlighter, Mario + Rabbids (on sale), Lumines, and Gorogoa, but I'd love to hear other suggestions!

Edit: I have Stardew on my PC, but never really got into it. Everyone says it's chill, but it looks like the game runs on a schedule and you have to run around town a bunch and hope to hit deadlines? Am I just getting that wrong? Would be willing to double dip, but had a bad first impression of this one.

Deleted member 16753

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So I finally put a nail in Steredenn and made it through at least one loop (phew!). I have Doom and Curse of the Necrodancer on my plate next, but I'd love to play something kind of chill on my Switch. Been playing a lot of roguelites and slightly more difficult games with a lot of hard grinding... anyone have any suggestions for something cheap and relaxing (say... $25 and under)?

I like all kinds of games, but have found myself enjoying platformers and lite RPGs or Metroidvanias lately. Bloodstained, Hollow Knight, Steamworld Dig 2, Steredenn, and Enter the Gungeon have all been great... I just want something that doesn't increase my heart rate two-fold!

I'm looking at Rayman Legends, Moonlighter, Mario + Rabbids (on sale), Lumines, and Gorogoa, but I'd love to hear other suggestions!

Edit: I have Stardew on my PC, but never really got into it. Everyone says it's chill, but it looks like the game runs on a schedule and you have to run around town a bunch and hope to hit deadlines? Am I just getting that wrong? Would be willing to double dip, but had a bad first impression of this one.

A turn based strategy game would be my recommendation, one of the following:
- Mario + Rabbids
- Steamworld Heist
- Into the Breach

Alternatively if you like engaging your grey matter try:
- Human Resource Machine
- 7 Billion Humans

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
For anyone else wondering whats going on with the Atelier Arland Trilogy release next week , I just got a reply from Koei Tecmo EU confirming that it's still happening, but they haven't announced a price yet.

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
Finally grabbed Rayman Legends, I already own it on Xbox One and PS4 but I didn't play it much, tho I knew it was gonna be my jam and €13 was a great deal for digital.
What was wrong with the Switch port? Iirc it was loading times but maybe they've been fixed since they're perfectly normal now, they're like 5/6seconds (of course it's too bad it does have loading at all, unlike PS4/xbox).
One thing I want to compare tonight with PS4/Xbox is controls lag, I don't remember the characters being this heavy but I'm probably misremembering.

Game is packed with content and looks phenomenal on handheld mode btw.

Delroy

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle

I've played all the games you're looking at, my personal ranking would be:

Moonlighter - I really dig this game and the flow of it. It's fairly easy-going, there's depth, and you're supporting a small dev.
Rayman Legends - Pretty game, not sure what the cost is but super fun from when I played it back on Xbox 360/One.
Gorogoa - Great 2-3 hour experience. I'm not very good at puzzle games, this one was challenging for me but incredible to see how it was designed.
Mario + Rabbids - I liked it ok, feels a bit overhyped to me.
Lumines - Never really got into this despite trying. Just not my thing.

One you might not have played that would be a decent pick-up on sale is Bomb Chicken.

Seafoam Gaming

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
Meant to ask this before but forgot: How do you know they're different SKUs? (outside of Lightening Force). Would this mean that if I buy Outrun or Phantasy Star on the Japanese eShop, it won't automatically grant me access to the western versions once they're out?

For Phantasy Star, I know you won't get the western version as they don't match, despite both having English.

Tebunker

Oct 25, 2017
Everspace had a 20% preorder bonus. Man I really want this to run well on Switch. It looks like they have Pc screens in the shop page which is always concerning, the last shot is of the menus on the Switch but I want to hear that it runs well.

It is play anywhere and X enhanced on Xbox but I realy want that portability.

Merton

Oct 25, 2017
I got my fill of the free mobile game, also have it on Apple TV. I'm not getting the Switch version. I think that there isn't really enough variety in the game. I got really bored of it really quickly. It looks great though. Lovely 60fps graphics and real nice music.
That's why I'm asking, I really like the mobile version, but whats the incentive to spend 20$ if it's marginally different, I don't know, that's why I'm asking

Discokuningas

Banned
Jan 18, 2018
Mud Runner is great! It doesn't have perfect frame rate or resolution but honestly this is enough for this kind of a slow game. All physics are really amazing! There is a challenge mode where you have missions where you can do different objectives and bonus objectives. Then there is the main game which is a very free form game on an open world map which you can choose from different alternatives. And I had no idea before buying this game that it actually has an online co-op up to four players! Tested with some strangers and it worked as good as single player game. You can create a friend or public lobby.

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
ors1vofoe.png

ors2hxcqi.png

So delighted to have this on Switch. I was satisfied enough with the 3DS version, but this is as close as it gets to a perfect home conversion for my money.
I'm simultaneously pleased it turned out so good (no doubts with M2) and jealous as hell! One of my favourite games of all time.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I bought SteamWorld Heist Ultimate Edition on sale yesterday.

I would like to take this opportunity to say that this game is freakin' awesome.

I would also like you all to know I am hitting myself for not playing this game THREE YEARS AGO on 3DS. WTF was I thinking

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
I don't mean to say that it's a bad game or anything, but even though I'm all digital on Switch, I have this weird tic that I like to curate the library of games that I own to my specific tastes/identity. Kind of akin to a well thought-out book or record shelf. So when I look at my digital "shelf" of games, it's all stuff that's "me" -- mostly Nintendo, retro, experimental games and indies.

So, in the case of Spintires, it looks interesting and I'd like to try it, but I don't really want to commit to giving it a space on my shelf (or dropping full price on it). Which is why it makes me wish rentals were still a common thing.

I'm not saying it's not weird.
Just so you know, you can fully delete a game's icon from your library when you're done playing it.

OP
OP
tolkir

tolkir

Oct 25, 2017
Game of the Day

c81070be5a7defb0aaf2267ftj.jpg

Become Victor, hunter of demons. Forge your own hero on a quest to liberate the cursed city of Zagoravia. Explore 'Motörhead: Through the Ages' - a wild tour through the mythos of the loudest band in the world, and enter the Fractured Worlds, a dimension formed from the fragments of broken realms.

Change how you play at any moment, even in the heat of battle. Modify your demon slaying loadout as you dodge deadly attacks, leap from towering locations and take on hordes of hideous beasts and cunning boss monsters. Fedora or no fedora, you decide!

• Experience the complete award-winning action RPG
• Hunt in over 50 locations including whole worlds inspired by Motörhead
• 10 distinct weapon classes including Guitars and Revolvers
• Unlimited gameplay in the Fractured Worlds
• 10 breeds of demon stand in your way
• Face off your enemies in Dynamic Combat
• Choose from 12 game-changing outfits
• Build your own class with combat defining loot
• Summon 19 different demon powers to crush your enemies
• 4 player online, and 2 player couch co-op
• Become the Victor in The Circus PvP arena
• Original soundtrack PLUS music by Motörhead
• Guest starring legendary director Lloyd Kaufman

ss_182256274a6a5c9473c6fa98cb0b466294aa54e4.600x338.jpg
ss_9c8152d7aa6140cd48dc900192fa689a3e738ac1.600x338.jpg

$39.99/€39.99/£35.99 - NA web - EU web

11/27 - West of Loathing
11/26 - Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes
11/25 - Iconoclasts
11/24 - Pocket Rumble
11/23 - Banner Saga 2
11/22 - N++

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
Out Run is the dayest one release ever for me, and I already have the 3ds version.

Fighting the urge to import. Made easier by the extortionate price of jpy eshop credit.

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
I put so much time into the 3DS version. It was a brilliant release (as were all of their efforts), bought the physical collection just for Power Drift, and bought Thunder Force IV on Switch. The Phantasy Star US release in a couple weeks can't come soon enough!
Lol - I also bought the physical collection just for Power Drift!

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
I dearly hope the work they've done with resurrecting decades-old shmups for PS4/XO makes it across to Switch in some form or another. A home conversion of ESP Ra.De. is finally happening and it's in the hands of M2. I couldn't be happier.
Oh wow, I didn't know about that. That's awesome! And yes, I hope for the same things. I have Garegga for PS4, but would buy again to play it in tate mode handheld with that flip grip. I might never get out of bed if that happened. LOL

Baladium

Banned
Apr 18, 2018
Sleep Deprivation Zone
I'm pleasantly surprised we're just now starting to see advance reviews roll out for the Switch version of SEGA Genesis/Mega Drive Classics. Thought for sure we wouldn't get them until the 7th or later, but the embargo (if there was any) was lifted today:

https://www.metacritic.com/game/switch/sega-genesis-classics

Worth noting that the GiaG review (which happens to be the most negative one) doesn't seem to be accessible on their site anymore so who knows what the deal is with that.

And some other reviews I found:

https://www.cnet.com/news/sega-genesis-classics-on-nintendo-switch-is-handheld-sega-perfection/

https://www.finder.com.au/sega-mega-drive-classics-switch-review

https:///game-review-sega-genesis-classics-switch/

https://m.vidaextra.com/analisis/se...ndo-switch-analisis-review-precio-experiencia

The latter review via Google Translate:

"In short, beyond the undeniable quality of many of the games included in SEGA Mega Drive Classics, based almost exclusively on its potential to enter us by sight with that recreation of our childhood room and Challenges that will challenge us . Here at least beat PS4 and Xbox One thanks to that option to play the classics in portable mode. But little more."

Luchadorable

Jan 14, 2018
Quick question about the eshop sale:

It ends tomorrow (29th)

Does that mean that the sale ends midnight tonight, midnight tomorrow, or at some other time during tomorrow

Sorry if I've worded this badly

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It will show them as purchased because you're accessing the eShop with the same flagged Switch console that you used to purchase the games on a different region but it won't allow you to re-download them from a different eShop/account. You'll need access the eShop with the specific account you've used previously to finalize the purchase to be allowed to re-download and such.
Yeah you were right, I deleted one of my games to see if the JP eShop prompted me to download it but nope, it only shows it's purchased.

Oh well, still got Outrun, no way I'm waiting.
For Phantasy Star, I know you won't get the western version as they don't match, despite both having English.
Oh I meant how do you know that. Did you get a review copy already? Not that I'm doubting you, just want to make sure it'll be the case (it's okay if you can't talk about it tho).

Drizzy Finks

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Horizon Chase Turbo is awesome, so far seems to runs at 60 FPS both docked and handheld with not a single stutter.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I want to know how you folks feel about comments made by Reggie in a recent Kotaku interview with regards to classic Nintendo titles on Switch.

According to Reggie, there's no plan to release a N64 Classic Mini anytime soon and they seem dead-set on leaving it at NES games for Nintendo Online Services for the foreseeable future. He says that they see that as the primary means of providing classic titles going forward while also implying they are in no rush to get to the later generations of hardware.

https://kotaku.com/nintendo-s-reggie-fils-aime-on-hopes-for-an-n64-classic-1830465672
"We've also now been very clear that as the consumer looks forward to engaging with our classic content that is going to happen more and more with the subscription service.

"Would you rule out an N64 Classic coming?" I asked.

"I would not ever rule something out," he said, "but what I can tell you is certainly that's not in our planning horizon."

"As we look to the future," he said, "our subscription service, NSO, Nintendo Switch Online is going to be the place where you can play our classic content…"

"Beyond NES?" I asked.

"We'll see what comes next," he said. "As you have already pointed out, we haven't even made the full library of NES games available yet. So this content has to be optimized for the Switch environment. That's something we're working very hard to do. Like you, I look forward to playing Metroid through the Nintendo Switch Online service and we'll be continuing to release content that way."

So that's grim.
Worth buying if you have the 3DS version already?
How much do like OutRun?

I'm sticking with the 3D, it looks amazing.

May 5, 2018
Beat Gorogoa today. Great game! The way you have to solve puzzles by moving pictures around whether it be to find out which image connects to another as well as drag a picture away to get a new one is really novel. A fresh take on the puzzle genre and found myself going "Ah Ha!" plenty of times when I finally found the solution to either obtain a fruit or move on within the puzzle. Now it will be onto Bloodstained as I'm going from one game I bought on the sale to the next!

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
Beat Gorogoa today. Great game! The way you have to solve puzzles by moving pictures around whether it be to find out which image connects to another as well as drag a picture away to get a new one is really novel. A fresh take on the puzzle genre and found myself going "Ah Ha!" plenty of times when I finally found the solution to either obtain a fruit or move on within the puzzle. Now it will be onto Bloodstained as I'm going from one game I bought on the sale to the next!
I absolutely adored Gorogoa. I had to ration my playing of it to prevent it from being over too quickly.

Lizardus

Oct 25, 2017
I've played through the tutorial and the first challenge, and it's a nice surprise for the Switch. It's certainly not glorious to behold, but it controls really well, has not overly intense rumble, and overall just seems polished. This series initially had issues running on pc years ago, so to me this is quite the feat!
Yeah I'm going to get the physical version. I remember playing the original on release and it gave my PC at the time quite the workout so I'm excited to check it out. Thanks for the impressions.

HeRinger

Oct 28, 2017
I want to know how you folks feel about comments made by Reggie in a recent Kotaku interview with regards to classic Nintendo titles on Switch.

According to Reggie, there's no plan to release a N64 Classic Mini anytime soon and they seem dead-set on leaving it at NES games for Nintendo Online Services for the foreseeable future. He says that they see that as the primary means of providing classic titles going forward while also implying they are in no rush to get to the later generations of hardware.

https://kotaku.com/nintendo-s-reggie-fils-aime-on-hopes-for-an-n64-classic-1830465672

So that's grim.

How much do like OutRun?

I'm sticking with the 3D, it looks amazing.
I wonder if the lack of VC is a means to give Indies a bigger fighting chance. If that's the reason, then I'm all for it. The competition with Nintendo titles was always fierce on their platforms.