• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

When is the next General Direct?

• This Week

Votes: 230 14.0%
  • Next Week

Votes: 557 34.0%
  • April

Votes: 192 11.7%
  • Never

Votes: 419 25.6%
  • OT8

Votes: 241 14.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

stan423321

Oct 25, 2017
Fire Emblem But There's Only One Unit sounds like it wouldn't even work as a WarioWare joke without injecting some other genre into it.

Plum

May 31, 2018
In terms of 'characters a few people (in the West) really want despite not being known by a fair majority of people," Geno is definitely the hardest one to justify:

Dragon Quest Hero:
The main character of one of the biggest JRPG franchises out there that is stronger than ever. There are 4 unique forms all showing off different sides to the franchise's history.

Terry:
The mascot of one of the most prolific fighting game developers out there; was a staple in arcades around the world. His inclusion allows representation for an entire litany of arcade franchises from fighters to beat-em-ups to sidescrolling shooters.

Geno:
A side character in a 24 year old Mario RPG game.
That Mario RPG game wasn't even the Mario RPG game to garner any sequels
His singular appearance afterwards was removed in a remake

I understand some people love the guy for some reason but, damn, I and I'm sure many others will be very disappointed if he gets in. That's because, honestly, Geno's popularity is only there because of fan desire for him in Smash; he holds no weight outside of the fact that people just keep on requesting him.

Give him a Mii costume, definitely, but when there are still so many genuinely iconic non-meme characters that can still be included it would just seem like a waste to include him as an actual fighter.

Mar 2, 2020
Brazil
Having an unknown, dead character become the face of the fighter pass would be a terrible idea. That's not how you sell DLC.

Joker sold the first FP. Geno would not sell the second.

The vast majority of people who bought Smash have no idea who he is or where he's from. It'd be better to start of the pass with someone like Dante, Crash, Heihachi, or Lara Croft.
Yeah you're right. I still think he is in tho. Now that you said that, I would love it if Lara was in. She would make a great first fighter too. I think Lara Croft in smash is a matter of when and not if.
I'm here to confirm that Nintendo will be announcing Fire Emblem: Three Houses 2 featuring Edelgard and no one else
I sure as hell will love to see that. I'm still bummed Byleth got in instead of her :(
That's not really a reason for him to be the first fighter. If anything they would want a popular character to be the first fighter so they can sell the pass.
Yeah, thinking how've they got the hype characters before and left Byleth as the last in FP1, it's fair they will probably get someone really strong as the first announcement again.
I would disagree. Based on the first pass and Nintendo's greediness, I would say it is in their best interest to get the most popular characters in as soon as possible so that people will buy the Fighters Pass as soon as possible. Geno is not really a popular or not even really known character outside the Smash fanbase.

Even within the Smash fanbase, there is a lot of rejection towards the idea of Geno getting in instead of other more iconic characters. I think there are a bunch of other potential fighters that would be more fitting for the first spot in this pass.
Yeah, they'll probably let him for later and choose some icon as the first slot.

HumanCentiPad

Mar 17, 2020
I think Capcom should get the Disco Elysium devs to reboot the Ace Attorney franchise. It is highly likely that this collaboration will be announced at this week's Direct.

No, but seriously, how awesome would that be?

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
This is basically Geno's lynchpin at this point

ZPFSnS4.jpg

That and the missing Mii outfit

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Y'all looking at patterns and didn't notice the 1st Fighter's Pass began and ended with Cassandra Lee Morris as the character's sidekick thus proving that the first character of Fighter's Pass 2 is obviously either Akira Howard or Elma.

The last character is Edea Lee, Cassandra Lee Morris herself

stan423321

Oct 25, 2017
well obviously. Married queens ruling over Fódlan together, what more could you need in a game?
FoV slider, plum juice, rabbits, Psycho-Locks, sudoku generator, narration by Ross Scott, keyboard controls, lynxes, constant luminance filters, exit button, a 20th Century Fox logo on startup, cloud save permission, pudding pops, dinosaur ponies, ten foot laser poles, cyborgs under my command, and I could go on and on and o-

MusicProposition

User requested ban
Banned
Aug 21, 2019
has any Nintendo Direct already been announced on wednesday ?
I don't remember, but they shifted to announcing a general direct one day prior last year. Back then, every Direct was on a Wednesday, so the general Directs got announced on Tuesday. With this one being on Thursday (like the other ones this year), it's not just wishful thinking but by far the most likely scenario that it will get announced tomorrow. Or next Wednesday - if its next week.

Plum

May 31, 2018
Intelligent Systems and Alpha Dream's faces when some random party member from a game that Square didn't even allow a sequel to is included in smash before any of the characters from their two popular, generation-spanning Mario RPG franchises that have been staples of Nintendo's lineup for decades:

Untitled-5-440x240.jpg

jdstorm

Jan 6, 2018
Fighter pass 2 should be "Ladies Night" to try and bring back roster balance.

Lara, Chun Li, Elma Alyx and Lightning

Prof Bathtub

Apr 26, 2018
Intelligent Systems and Alpha Dream's faces when some random party member from a game that Square didn't even allow a sequel to gets in over any of the characters from their two popular, generation-spanning Mario RPG franchises:

Untitled-5-440x240.jpg
Well, more to the point, it was a character made by a lot of the Alphadream staff. Since Nintendo is choosing the characters, it would be pretty callous to pick a character they made if they haven't hired or supported Yoshihiko Maekawa and the other staff members post-bankruptcy.

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
Intelligent Systems and Alpha Dream's faces when memes get some random party member from a game that Square didn't even allow a sequel included in smash before any of the characters from their two popular, generation-spanning Mario RPG franchises that have been staples of Nintendo's lineup for decades:

Untitled-5-440x240.jpg
AlphaDream would love to see their boy Geno hit the big time

or they would, if they still existed

Werhiu

Nov 30, 2018
I don't remember, but they shifted to announcing a general direct one day prior last year. Back then, every Direct was on a Wednesday, so the general Directs got announced on Tuesday. With this one being on Thursday (like the other ones this year), it's not just wishful thinking but by far the most likely scenario that it will get announced tomorrow. Or next Wednesday - if its next week.
thank you ! so the dream is not completely over ahah

Plum

May 31, 2018
Well, more to the point, it was a character made by a lot of the Alphadream staff. Since Nintendo is choosing the characters, it would be pretty callous to pick a character they made if they haven't hired or supported Yoshihiko Maekawa and the other staff members post-bankruptcy.
AlphaDream would love to see their boy Geno hit the big time

or they would, if they still existed

Huh, I didn't realise that Alpha Dream made Mario RPG as well.

That post was just a shitpost, though, so pay no mind. Still don't think Geno should get in however.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Huh, I didn't realise that Alpha Dream made Mario RPG as well.

That post was just a shitpost, though, so pay no mind. Still don't think Geno should get in however.

Specifically, Chihiro Fujioka was the director of SMRPG and later went on to direct the M&L series. Geno actually cameo'd in Superstar Saga when Fujioka learned of his burgeoning internet popularity.

BrucCLea13k87

Oct 27, 2017
The announcement better be fucking tomorrow. I ain't playing AC, WHAT AM I PLAYING IN APRIL and MAY NINTENDO? WHAT?! I'M GOING CRAZY OVER HERE.

MusicProposition

User requested ban
Banned
Aug 21, 2019
thank you ! so the dream is not completely over ahah
No problem. Far from over actually. It's always the same here: it's very clear from the beginning that the chances for an announcement on Wednesday are 95%. Still, people are hyping themselves up for a potential earlier announcement and then suddeny think that if nothing happens on that very unlikely earlier point, nothing would come at all.
If there is a Direct this week, the announcement will be most likely tomorrow. simple as that.

Oct 25, 2017

No it was in 2018
www.polygon.com

Nintendo announces Nintendo Direct for March 8

New details on 3DS and Switch games

nintendoeverything.com

Nintendo Direct announced for September 6

Following up on speculation regarding a new Nintendo Direct, Nintendo itself has now announced the presentation. As was rumored, the presentation will be hosted tomorrow. The broadcast will go live at the following times: – 3 PM PT – 6 PM ET – 11 PM in the UK – 12 AM in Europe Nintendo will be...

Plum

May 31, 2018
Specifically, Chihiro Fujioka was the director of SMRPG and later went on to direct the M&L series. Geno actually cameo'd in Superstar Saga when Fujioka learned of his burgeoning internet popularity.

Huh.

Still, I think that if Nintendo is going to honour Mario RPGs in Smash then a character from one of the other two would be much more fitting imo

Of course that's ignoring the many, many other characters that are more deserving than him in terms of their impact on the gaming industry. Geno getting in as DLC before a single female character gets in (that isn't just a costume swap of a Male default) would be ridiculous tbh.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Geno getting in ahead of Lara Croft or Alexandra Roivas would be a disgrace.

Lara Croft is in Brawlhalla.

Dunno where the Roivas comparison came from though. That game's owned by Nintendo.

Huh.

Still, I think that if Nintendo is going to honour Mario RPGs in Smash then a character from one of the other two would be much more fitting imo

Of course that's ignoring the many, many other characters that are more deserving than him in terms of their impact on the gaming industry. Geno getting in as DLC before a single female character gets in (that isn't just a costume swap of a Male default) would be ridiculous tbh.

Tell ya what if I'm right about Geno I'll use my prophetic superpowers to get Dixie Kong, Hornet and Ayumi Tachibana into the Fighter Pass.

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
I suddenly understood the true significance of Alexandra Roivas' weird last name for the first time in my life and groaned deeply

I hate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.