• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What would upset you most about an upcoming Direct?

• More Wii U ports

Votes: 290 18.8%
  • No Breath of the Wild 2

Votes: 565 36.7%
  • No Smash

Votes: 473 30.7%
  • Yes Smash

Votes: 302 19.6%
  • Heavy third party focus

Votes: 347 22.5%
  • No new games until June

Votes: 213 13.8%
  • Other

Votes: 76 4.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

stan423321

Oct 25, 2017
Introducing cardboard rejection theory

You know the "you wouldn't get something else on E3 2018 if Smash wasn't there" setup? Well, what if that's happening right now with Labo, and WeWere supposed to be getting a Labo Direct with 8 new Labo games in January, but then they canned it and tried to salvage some of this stuff with regular Asian factory accessories, but THEN virus?

(Note: theories that need introduction as theories are very theoretical.)

DXB-KNIGHT

Oct 27, 2017
We waited from January till March,
Beyond Animal Crossing there is nothing.
Give me mah Xenoblade Nintendo

stan423321

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think sales success of Odyssey (1) guarantees 3D Mario team went straight for Galaxy 2 style Odyssey 2. Galaxy 2 supposedly happened since the team was full of unrealized ideas. It's hard to say whether Odyssey team has similar sentiments.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think sales success of Odyssey (1) guarantees 3D Mario team went straight for Galaxy 2 style Odyssey 2. Galaxy 2 supposedly happened since the team was full of unrealized ideas. It's hard to say whether Odyssey team has similar sentiments.
i can't look at the post-launch support of pretty much all of nintendo's switch games and think they didn't have some other ideas and kingdoms in mind for DLC which have now been moved to a sequel.

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
Oh, don't worry, I have a lot to say about Sega and Nagoshi regarding Switch support, too. I complain about Vanquish and Sakura Wars skipping Switch like once a week. And don't get me started on Atlus.
Yeah, Yakuza, Sakura Wars and Vanquish are the big ones that should and could be on Switch I agree.

Shenmue 1&2 too like Chackan said, I'm sure there's a lot more.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
i can't look at the post-launch support of pretty much all of nintendo's switch games and think they didn't have some other ideas and kingdoms in mind for DLC which have now been moved to a sequel.
Plus you have a direct sequel to Breath of the Wild, which is both a series that has only one other direct sequel AND also has post-launch DLC.

Deleted member 51691

Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Yeah, Yakuza, Sakura Wars and Vanquish are the big ones that should and could be on Switch I agree.

Shenmue 1&2 too like Chackan said, I'm sure there's a lot more.
Shenmue lol

I blame Sega Europe

Don't know if they are filled with Nintendo haters or what but when something skips Switch that really shouldn't it can usually be traced back to those guys

RainRainRain

Jan 15, 2018

Odyssey 1 has already sold far better than Galaxy 1, had no substantial DLC included at all (despite potential evidence that more kingdoms were planned at one point, such as Delfino island) and the art book of the game which was released recently shows so many unused ideas, concepts, and costumes that it would be a crime to not make a sequel.

That's how I feel, anyway

Magic-Man

User requested ban
Feb 5, 2019
Epic Universe
Odyssey 1 has already sold far better than Galaxy 1, had no substantial DLC included at all (despite potential evidence that more kingdoms were planned at one point, such as Delfino island) and the art book of the game which was released recently shows so many unused ideas, concepts, and costumes that it would be a crime to not make a sequel.

Any photos of those concepts?

SammyJ9

Dec 22, 2019

Agreed. It makes a lot of sense, even if there's not a lot of actual evidence for it. I would love for it to be true, at least!

RainRainRain

Jan 15, 2018
Any photos of those concepts?

I don't own the book myself, here's a small taste

images

9781506713755_Interior_Image_4_179987.jpg

Banner-SuperMarioOdyssey-ArtBook-Rosalina-Toadette.jpg

DqR9EJEU0AAyiRc

DqR91sXUcAEuQR-

There is sooooo much i'm missing.

LegendofLex

Nov 20, 2017
There are several direct sequels: MM, PH, LBW, maybe something else I'm forgetting
Depends on how you want to look at sequels.

from a story perspective, Zelda II, Link's Awakening, Majora's Mask, Four Swords Adventures, Phantom Hourglass, Spirit Tracks, and A Link Between Worlds (and Tri Force Heroes, although less explicitly) all pick up in some direct way from where the last game left off

from a gameplay perspective, Majora's Mask, Oracle of Seasons/Ages, The Minish Cap, Spirit Tracks, and Tri Force Heroes all followed up previous games on the same platform and used a similar game engine/art style.

Oct 30, 2017
Tonight I dreamt that I was watching the new direct. Freud would be proud of my subconscious. First there was this game called Super Mario Heroes where up to 4 players would tackle enemies like Goombas in a Wonderful 101 style and then there was an onslaught of Mario Kart titles as 9,10,11 and 12 would all be included in one package. Then there was this break for commercial where Japanese people would thank us Greeks for the yoghurt that we export. Then my daughter woke me up before seeing the last title of the direct. I am done. I think.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
Shenmue lol

I blame Sega Europe

Don't know if they are filled with Nintendo haters or what but when something skips Switch that really shouldn't it can usually be traced back to those guys

Blame the tan maniac Nagoshi. He literally thinks Switch had different audience than other platforms. "There's no Yakuza audience on Switch". Just who does he think own Switch? 50 million six year olds? What makes Switch different than PlayStation? PSP and Vita could only have dreamt the genre diversity Switch is having right now.

I really want to say "his loss" but nah, it's our loss. Yakuza games and Sakura Wars are pretty lenghty games and handhelds might be the only way for some people to finish the games (like me). I hope Switch sells even more this year and changes Nagoshi's mind.

Deleted member 51691

Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Blame the tan maniac Nagoshi. He literally thinks Switch had different audience than other platforms. "There's no Yakuza audience on Switch". Just who does he think own Switch? 50 million six year olds? What makes Switch different than PlayStation? PSP and Vita could only have dreamt the genre diversity Switch is having right now.

I really want to say "his loss" but nah, it's our loss. Yakuza games and Sakura Wars are pretty lenghty games and handhelds might be the only way for some people to finish the games (like me). I hope Switch sells even more this year and changes Nagoshi's mind.
Yeah Switch is doing great without Sega support while Sega faced lower-than-expected revenues last quarter.

AllEchse

Oct 29, 2017
Shenmue lol

I blame Sega Europe

I mean Valkyria Chronicles pretty much got a PC port because of them and then that got ported toa ll oother platfroms including Switch.
And then 4 was got a Switch version on release in the west (was post launch in japan)
So you sure?

Chackan

Oct 31, 2017

Just like me, also :|

SammyJ9

Dec 22, 2019
2018 made a lot of sense, though. It seemed like (at least from my perspective) that Nintendo really went all out to make 2017 a good launch year for the Switch, and they clearly planned well in advance to have so many games launch by the end of the year. So 2018 being a bit of a down year in the first half seemed logical as a sort of "recovery period", and the year was pretty down as a whole until Smash.

I think a lot of us thought that with the Switch now in full swing and the 3DS dead, though, that those kinds of lulls would be a thing of the past, and 2018 was just a remnant of the console transition and such. We may have been overly optimistic, but 2019 Nintendo certainly seemed to be back in full force

karmitt

Oct 27, 2017

If Nintendo was genuinely undecided in 2017 about axing their dedicated handheld / DS line I don't know that we'd have seen much benefit from the consolidation by 2018.

As for this year, Nintendo did leave Jan/Feb mostly empty, but we've yet to see April onward - this year could still be quite the doozy

BloodshotX

Jan 25, 2018
Perhaps that other thread on Capcom having 4 big titles and another not quite so big title?

sad that if any are for Switch, my money is on the not so big one :P
Capcoms trackrecord for switch leads me to believe that it basically gonna run on the MHGU engine, and it will probably not look any better than that. OR even worse its MH hunters for switch (<---i would honestly cry if that where true tbh)

Guaraná

Oct 25, 2017
brazil, unfortunately
the thing is, if you don't like AC, when it comes to Nintendo game, you have no idea what to look for right now.

i know shit about the gaming market and this industry, but this doesn't make sense at all.

Ozzie

One Winged Slayer
Jan 12, 2018
Capcoms trackrecord for switch leads me to believe that it basically gonna run on the MHGU engine, and it will probably not look any better than that. OR even worse its MH hunters for switch (<---i would honestly cry if that where true tbh)
To be fair, MHW and MHGU run on the same engine: MT framework.

stan423321

Oct 25, 2017
We have already seen benefits of division axing, we are just unaware how bad situation would be if it didn't happen. Switch games of the, erm, highly polished visual quality take way more effort than their 3DS equivalents. (Wii U required similar effort to Switch.) It's kind of unpredictable what exactly the hypothetical 3DS successor would be; 3DS was really close to Wii with its expected visual quality, so the situation would likely keep getting worse unless Nintendo went and made a really cheap machine. The additional workforce is working, but there just is more work per game now.

Deleted member 51691

Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Can you tell me why?
Perhaps that other thread on Capcom having 4 big titles and another not quite so big title?

sad that if any are for Switch, my money is on the not so big one :P
Pretty much. If there was one franchise Capcom would look at the Switch's success and decide that they would lose out on too much potential sales by ignoring the Switch, it would be Monster Hunter. Resident Evil and Devil May Cry would do fine enough on Switch to justify the porting costs, but it wouldn't make them much money since those franchises have always been stronger on PlayStation anyway whereas Monster Hunter had a long stint being Nintendo exclusive.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.