• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

For how long will Nintendo drink our tears?

• Until March 2020

Votes: 1,043 53.8%
  • Until April 2020

Votes: 207 10.7%
  • Until E3

Votes: 244 12.6%
  • Forever (no more Directs)

Votes: 444 22.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

4CornersTHSA

Jun 13, 2019
I agree with what a poster said in OT3, how the mods should set up a single account that multiple insiders could contribute to, so you guys don't have a target on your back constantly.

Agreed 100%, could allow for plausible deniability and share fun stuff with fans/enthusiasts.

Regardless, thank you to those that do share and hint, it makes the wait more (less?) bearable.

AllEchse

Oct 29, 2017
Hype cautiously rising?
These days it feels like all 3rd party exclusives are just timed, and go to other consoles or atleaast PC after a while.
I mean look at Travis Strikes Again, Daemon X Machina, even Death Stranding comes to PC.
If there's an exclusivity deal with Sony I expect it to be timed only, because it feels like they only add fuel to the fire which they started with Joker in Smash and then Persona 5 Scramble.
People wouldn't craave for it as much if they hadn't put him there.
Maybe they want people to double dip?
They also seem to be done with most of the things they planned for shortly after Persona 5 as the only domains left are P5U (which is very likely Fighting game in the Persona Arena series) and P5AG (whatever that is).

No one, not even the most renowned insiders and journalists, has been able to prove there's a Persona deal with Sony. And even if there is, it's unlikely to be permanent.

We'll probably see Persona on Switch at some point, but it won't be until late in the system's lifecycle. Atlus is slow at adapting to new platforms.
Yeah, that's what I'm thinking too.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Persona 5 - 2 is coming to Switch this month in Japan. Pretty sure that if a deal existed, it was only on P5 (and P5R which builds on P5).

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
You got it mixed up with Catherine

Possible. I think i wanted to throw that in there due to that but decided to stay with P5R and forgot that ...

Persona 5 - 2 is coming to Switch this month in Japan. Pretty sure that if a deal existed, it was only on P5 (and P5R which builds on P5).

I think that Scramble is releasing on Switch is more on KT than on any decision by Atlus or Sega. I think most that Atlus did was just not saying no to the Switch version.

Velezcora

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Jason responded below that tweet that he doesn't know for sure if there is an exclusivity deal. I seriously doubt there is. The new Persona 5S is positioned as a sequel and surely would be considered mainline and not be allowed to come to Switch if that was the case.

The simple reality is that Atlus is stupid when it comes to platforms. Sony isn't paying them to keep Persona exclusive to PS4. People aren't going to stop buying Playstation if Persona comes to Switch.

Zalman

Oct 25, 2017
Jason responded below that tweet that he doesn't know for sure if there is an exclusivity deal. I seriously doubt there is. The new Persona 5S is positioned as a sequel and surely would be considered mainline and not be allowed to come to Switch if that was the case.

The simple reality is that Atlus is stupid when it comes to platforms. Sony isn't paying them to keep Persona exclusive to Switch. People aren't going to stop buying Playstation if Persona comes to Switch.
Yeah, this pretty much builds on my previous post. Atlus has historically made questionable platform decisions. This is just an extension of that.

trestres

Feb 11, 2019
I think we may scratch MK 9 from our lists, and expect a slower pace for new releases, since Nintendo wants to focus on expanding the sales of already released games as much as they can:

"On the software side, in addition to continuing to
release new software, we believe that it is also essential to continue our efforts to extend sales of already-released software for a longer period than before."

"Making sales continuously strong sales for titles we have already released is one way we are able to maintain high operating profit ratio, because research and development costs are expensed as selling, general and administrative expenses at the time incurred."

Velezcora

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Yeah, this pretty much builds on my previous post. Atlus has historically made questionable platform decisions. This is just an extension of that.

If anyone doesn't believe that they can look at Catherine too. I highly doubt Sony paid Atlus for exclusivity for New Body. The original came out on PS3 and 360 but the re-release came to PS4 and... of all systems... Vita. That just goes to show Atlus has a warped understanding of what the consumer wants.

Plum

May 31, 2018
Random Gaming Website: "This thing could be coming to Switch!"

Jason Schreier:
34yx3j.png

Magic-Man

User requested ban
Feb 5, 2019
Epic Universe
I think we may scratch MK 9 from our lists, and expect a slower pace for new releases, since Nintendo wants to focus on expanding the sales of already released games as much as they can:

release new software, we believe that it is also essential to continue our efforts to extend sales of already-released software for a longer period than before."

"Making sales continuously strong sales for titles we have already released is one way we are able to maintain high operating profit ratio, because research and development costs are expensed as selling, general and administrative expenses at the time incurred."

I wouldn't say that, but yeah, I think this could rule out a Mario Kart 9 on the Switch. Just give us DLC or Diddy Kong Racing, Nintendo.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Hot prediction for an announcement somewhere this year: I think they'll release a new pack of DLC for MK8D that won't add kart or racers but at least one brand new multiplayer mode, in a way to drive forward NSO subs and further monetize a game that almost half the userbase already owns.

That being said, clearly Nintendo has already plans to monetize on the long-term pretty much all of their big releases now.

Magic-Man

User requested ban
Feb 5, 2019
Epic Universe
Hot prediction for an announcement somewhere this year: I think they'll release a new pack of DLC for MK8D that won't add kart or racers but at least one brand new multiplayer mode, in a way to drive forward NSO subs and further monetize a game that almost half the userbase already owns.

Does it add tracks? Cause if it doesn't, I don't think a ton of people would buy it.

Magic-Man

User requested ban
Feb 5, 2019
Epic Universe
I don't think more traditional tracks are really necessary at this point considering the base game already has 48. It might have new tracks or arenas built for that new mode though, like Battle Mode has.

I like your idea, but I still think that the best course of action here is two new cups. Four retro tracks, four new tracks, two of each in each cup. Base them around other franchises. Add a new item (the item is either free or is only available on the new tracks), a couple of new characters, a couple of new battle arenas, and maybe the new multiplayer mode you were talking about. 20 USD for current owners, upgrade the current SKU to include it.

MusicProposition

User requested ban
Banned
Aug 21, 2019

Don't jump on conclusions based on something like this.

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA

The issue is they're doing that through updates and DLC, and from the looks of things so far they have no plans to add anything substantial to Mario Kart 8 Deluxe. If they were then we probably would have seen it by now.

Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere in Zanarkand
I like your idea, but I still think that the best course of action here is two new cups. Four retro tracks, four new tracks, two of each in each cup. Base them around other franchises. Add a new item (the item is either free or is only available on the new tracks), a couple of new characters, a couple of new battle arenas, and maybe the new multiplayer mode you were talking about. 20 USD for current owners, upgrade the current SKU to include it.

You changed your avatar!

And yep - that DLC sounds perfect. Easy way to maintain sales over the next few years.

Magic-Man

User requested ban
Feb 5, 2019
Epic Universe
The issue is they're doing that through updates and DLC, and from the looks of things so far they have no plans to add anything substantial to Mario Kart 8 Deluxe. If they were then we probably would have seen it by now.

*stares at the Animal Crossing New Leaf DLC update that came three years after launch, and the extremely high current sales* Yeah, I think it's still possible.

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
*stares at the Animal Crossing New Leaf DLC update that came three years after launch, and the extremely high current sales* Yeah, I think it's still possible.

Yup. For extremely longterm evergreen, releasing DLC in the middle of their life cycle is actually the planned date in order to reinvigorate sales at the moment they're projected to decline.

That'd be cool too but the main attraction would have to be the multiplayer mode. It's really what Nintendo should push forward, for most of their MP focused titles.

Magic-Man

User requested ban
Feb 5, 2019
Epic Universe
Yup. For extremely longterm evergreen, releasing DLC in the middle of their life cycle is actually the planned date in order to reinvigorate sales at the moment they're projected to decline.

That'd be cool too but the main attraction would have to be the multiplayer mode. It's really what Nintendo should push forward, for most of their MP focused titles.

....what if the DLC was free for Nintendo Switch Online owners?

dedge

Sep 15, 2019
I know people are speculating about a MK9, but I wonder how 8 Deluxe DLC might work if it had a big push behind it. There are just so many copies out there.

MusicProposition

User requested ban
Banned
Aug 21, 2019
MK8D sales numbers speak for themselves. These quotes only reassure that.
We had this discussion already. How are MK8D's sales a sign for Nintendo to rest on it? It's much more likely that they would inspire them to make a proper MK title for switch imo. MK9 would still sell a lot more than....nothing? Or purely digital MK8 DLC.

Looking at the sales now is kind of pointless though, since development probably started years ago. Even if MK9 was much less popular than MK8D (and it won't) it would be a huge hit. They did Mario Galaxy 1+2, even if it was clear that 2 would not sell as good.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Damn imagine being that much of a buzzkill all the time
As opposed to giving people false hope? Nah I'd much rather prefer it being shut down early. It's minor things people take as "hints" that lead people still believing Persona 5 is coming to Switch any day now over a year after the rumors first started.

Renfran

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 28, 2018
As opposed to giving people false hope? Nah I'd much rather prefer it being shut down early. It's minor things people take as "hints" that lead people still believing Persona 5 is coming to Switch any day now over a year after the rumors first started.

Jason isn't holding back either this time. All in all, rumors are fine but when Jason says something, I see it as absolute. He knows more than anyone and he's shutting this one down.

trestres

Feb 11, 2019
We had this discussion already. How are MK8D's sales a sign for Nintendo to rest on it? It's much more likely that they would inspire them to make a proper MK title for switch imo. MK9 would still sell a lot more than....nothing? Or purely digital MK8 DLC.

Looking at the sales now is kind of pointless though, since development probably started years ago. Even if MK9 was much less popular than MK8D (and it won't) it would be a huge hit. They did Mario Galaxy 1+2, even if it was clear that 2 would not sell as good.
Multiplayer games sales die when the newest one is released.

Exactly the opposite happens when a sequel to a single player game is released.

You wouldn't think Nintendo will release another Smash Brothers this gen. It unluckily works that way.

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, that would definitely help increase the subscriber count of NSO, which needs to happen. We also seemingly don't have a major multiplayer game this year, so what will push the sales?

People will buy the DLC if it's attractive enough, the point is to drive monetization and NSO subs. You're missing out on maximizing revenue by doing only one or the other.

Like, it could be a free update adding a MP mode but I'm picturing something bigger that would require being paid.

Magic-Man

User requested ban
Feb 5, 2019
Epic Universe

I know this argument is usually used in me, but Super Mario Galaxy is a single player game. This is a giant multiplayer franchise.

LegendofLex

Nov 20, 2017
Multiplayer games sales die when the newest one is released.

Exactly the opposite happens when a sequel to a single player game is released.

You wouldn't think Nintendo will release another Smash Brothers this gen. It unluckily works that way.

I suppose it comes down to whether Nintendo would rather get just people who don't already have MK8, or get people who do have MK8 to also buy 9 + capture new buyers with the new game and potential DLC.

fleet

Jan 2, 2019
sorry cause this probably isn't the right place to ask but idk any other nintendo-specific threads. does anyone know if the new switch model has a better build quality than previous versions of it? my launch switch has the classic "grease" marks all over the back plate where the plastic has worn down from hours of use. i want to buy the new animal crossing switch but not if the plastic on the back wears down as much as my launch switch did; as there's that cute pattern on the back.

i've tried googling this and found nothing, but some people on era has mentioned that the new model has a more sturdy quality.

Status
Not open for further replies.