• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Most likely of these Mario games to appear in 2020?

• Super Mario 3D World Port

Votes: 484 73.9%
  • Super Mario Odyssey 2/Next 3D Mario

Votes: 89 13.6%
  • Paper Mario 6

Votes: 284 43.4%
  • Super Mario Party 2

Votes: 113 17.3%
  • Mario Golf

Votes: 120 18.3%
  • Mario Kart 9

Votes: 57 8.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
Just to be clear, we made an intentional effort to cover Zippo first and mentioned that Sabi's Paper Mario statement was in support of the Zippo's claim; if we focused more on Sabi it's purely because they had more to say in relation to both subjects

I really appreciate the manner in which you covered what I put out there.

Always have been a fan, thank you!

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Off topic, but I haven't been in the main Smash thread in a while, is there a bet or something going on for the pixelated face avatars?

Magic-Man

User requested ban
Feb 5, 2019
Epic Universe
I gotta say, the unannounced 2D Mario team game is probably the biggest wildcard for this year. I could kinda see it happening, but it really depends on what it is.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'd actually be pretty hyped for a dedicated Animal Crossing Direct. There's so much we still don't know about the game, that I'm not sure a 5 minute spotlight in a General Direct would do it justice.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
New page bump
Since the Direct has eluded us for longer than expected I can still make this fun little questionaire for 2020 in general:

Will Nintendo reveal gameplay for the next 3D Mario game?

Will Donkey Kong Country return?

Will the next Paper Mario game score above 85 Metacritic on average?

Will Doug Bowser make another Bowser joke?

Will PlatinumGames announce an expansion pass for Bayonetta 3?

Will a Nintendo-published game be nominated for The Game Awards GOTY?

Will a third-party character become playable in Super Mario Maker 2?

Will Shigeru Miyamoto make a guest appearance at Ubisoft's E3 2020 press conference?

Will a first-party character join the fight in Fighters Pass Vol. 2 this year?

Will Nintendo announce and release a major new IP for both retail and digital? (Think Splatoon or Astral Chain, $60 retail with pretty graphics)

Last edited:

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
I will say, the most interesting thing so far this year is that recruitment pamphlet.

2D Mario art has been done by Kotabe for over 30 years. It very much looks like someone else's designs. DK has his classic design for some reason, Pauline and Daisy are present, but Peach and Rosalina aren't, and the biggest question is why Wart is there. He hasn't made an appearance in a game that isn't a cameo in over 30 years.

Not saying It's a big hint or anything but it's certainly interesting.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

AbleTastyHartebeest-size_restricted.gif

BestTestie

Banned
Jan 13, 2020
I will say, the most interesting thing so far this year is that recruitment pamphlet.

2D Mario art has been done by Kotabe for over 30 years. It very much looks like someone else's designs. DK has his classic design for some reason, Pauline and Daisy are present, but Peach and Rosalina aren't, and the biggest question is why Wart is there. He hasn't made an appearance in a game that isn't a cameo in over 30 years.

You got a link to the recruitment pamphlet?

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

There's a lot of images from the handbook that weren't shown at first when the news got out.

Search this on Twitter "任天堂 会社案内" ...to find them.

EOZ8xaLUcAEBwjs

EOVFt1JUEAEuUDK

EOZ8xaNUUAEfXgV

Magic-Man

User requested ban
Feb 5, 2019
Epic Universe

2D Mario art has been done by Kotabe for over 30 years. It very much looks like someone else's designs. DK has his classic design for some reason, Paluine and Daisy are present, but Peach and Rosalina aren't, and the biggest question is why Wart is there. He hasn't made an appearance in a game that isn't a cameo in over 30 years.

That and the job recruiting that took place a few months back are what make me wonder if we're looking at a big 2D Mario game this year. It seems a little too early after the 2D Mario fest last year, but Nintendo has done weirder stuff.

In that case, the 2020 lineup would probably look like...
  • Tokyo Mirage Sessions
  • Pokemon Mystery Dungeon
  • Animal Crossing New Horizons
  • Pikmin 3 Deluxe
  • Super Mario 3D World Deluxe
  • Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition
  • Splatoon spin-off
  • New IP (Mario Kart team)
  • Bayonetta 3
  • New New Super Mario Bros
  • 2D Metroid
  • Paper Mario
  • BOTW2
That certainly fits the big year mindset that we've been hearing about from insiders, but it sounds too ambitious and big on paper. Wish we had Emily available to tell me if my scope is too big or not.

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017

Deleted member 43657

Banned
May 19, 2018
How many Nintendo games do you think are already complete and just waiting to be surprise-published a la The Stretchers?

Melpomene

One Winged Slayer
Jun 9, 2019
I'm reeeeally hoping we get some Animal Crossing news sooner rather than later. I know it'd annoy some folks to get a third focused Direct before getting a General one, but we haven't had a serious chunk of news on the game in months, and it's much better for everyone if they just compartmentalize it to its own larger event rather than having it take up eight minutes of a General Direct again.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm reeeeally hoping we get some Animal Crossing news sooner rather than later. I know it'd annoy some folks to get a third focused Direct before getting a General one, but we haven't had a serious chunk of news on the game in months, and it's much better for everyone if they just compartmentalize it to its own larger event rather than having it take up eight minutes of a General Direct again.
I'll be happy if they do an AC direct. I want them to get this stuff out of the way. Only makes me feel like they have so many announcements and they don't want a crazy long direct so give these other series their own directs.

AC deserves its own direct anyways. It comes off as boring too people and there's a lot to go over. It's already had its own directs in the past.

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
That and the job recruiting that took place a few months back are what make me wonder if we're looking at a big 2D Mario game this year. It seems a little too early after the 2D Mario fest last year, but Nintendo has done weirder stuff.

• Tokyo Mirage Sessions
  • Pikmin 3 Deluxe
  • Splatoon spin-off
  • Bayonetta 3
  • 2D Metroid
  • Paper Mario
  • BOTW2
That certainly fits the big year mindset that we've been hearing about from insiders, but it sounds too ambitious and big on paper. Wish we had Emily available to tell me if my scope is too big or not.

Nah. Wart might be a hint of what they're doing going forward but I do not see a 2D Mario this quickiy after NSMBUD and Maker 2 just last year. No way.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

• Tokyo Mirage Sessions
  • Pikmin 3 Deluxe
  • Splatoon spin-off
  • Bayonetta 3
  • 2D Metroid
  • Paper Mario
  • BOTW2
Nah. We just had 2 2D Mario games in 2019. Any 2D Mario would be a late 2021 or later title. Next year is the 35th anniversary? I believe

Lintendo

Sep 11, 2018

Nintendo be like.....
"Tune in sometimes for a Nintendo Direct featuring around 40 minutes of information on upcoming #NintendoSwitch titles, including new details on #AnimalCrossing New Horizon"

You will see they gonna make it like that... I hope so

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
With Wart and Birdo appearing in that recruitment pamphlet, I think it would be really cool if there was a new Subcon-themed world added to 3D World Deluxe. The game already has a couple nods to SMB2 USA so it would fit naturally.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Also, if EPD is doing a 2D DK game I'll have low expectations for it. They don't make the 2D DK games I like (DKC). They'll probably do another "take" on 2D DK.

Mario's 35th anniversary is the year of Odyssey 2 and a 2D game.

That's what smart people like me say.
At least Odyssey 2 I see and yeah it can tie in with "celebrate Mario's 35th anniversary!"

Magic-Man

User requested ban
Feb 5, 2019
Epic Universe
Nah. Wart might be a hint of what they're doing going forward but I do not see a 2D Mario this quickiy after NSMBUD and Maker 2 just last year. No way.

There was recruiting last year for the 2D and 3D Mario games, and I believe people brought up the fact that the type of recruiting that they were doing normally takes place when the games are 12-18 months out. Keep in mind, it was the same recruitment ads for both the 2D and 3D titles, and the 3D title has clearly been in the works for a while now.

We probably won't see it this year, but the next game definitely isn't too far off.

ThisIsBlitz21

Oct 22, 2018
Put me on #TeamMarch for the direct.

We got a pokemon direct, new smash fighter announced (and second fighter pass), Fire Emblem DLC trailer, Metro Redux for Switch, and possibly Bioshock and Saints Row too.
Since the Direct has eluded us for longer than expected I can still make this fun little questionaire for 2020 in general:

Will Nintendo reveal gameplay for the next 3D Mario game?

Will Donkey Kong Country return?

Will the next Paper Mario game score above 85 Metacritic on average?

Will Doug Bowser make another Bowser joke?

Will PlatinumGames announce an expansion pass for Bayonetta 3?

Will a Nintendo-published game be nominated for The Game Awards GOTY?

Will a third-party character become playable in Super Mario Maker 2?

Will Shigeru Miyamoto make a guest appearance at Ubisoft's E3 2020 press conference?

Will a first-party character join the fight in Fighters Pass Vol. 2 this year?

Will Nintendo announce and release a major new IP for both retail and digital? (Think Splatoon or Astral Chain, $60 retail with pretty graphics)
1) A new 3D Mario will NOT be revealed, or released, in 2020.
2) No, it wont return this year specifically. But I do expect to see it an couple or so years.
3) The question right now should be "Is paper Mario dead or not" lol.
4) ???
5) I'd take a guess and say no.
6) Yes, Bayonetta 3 will be nominated for GOTY this year.
7) You never know, but I'm leaning towards no.
8) He's gonna be in the audience for sure, but he may or may not be shown on camera.
9) Yes, without question, a generation 8 pokemon will take one of those 6 slots.
10) No.

Last edited:

Magic-Man

User requested ban
Feb 5, 2019
Epic Universe
Put me on #TeamMarch for the direct.

We got a pokemon direct, new smash fighter announced (and second fighter pass), Fire Emblem DLC trailer, Metro Redux for Switch, and possibly

1) A new 3D Mario will NOT be revealed, or released, in 2020.
2) No, it wont return this year specifically. But I do expect to see it an couple or so years.
3) The question right now should be "Is paper Mario dead or not" lol.
4) ???
5) I'd take a guess and say no.
6) Yes, Bayonetta 3 will be nominated for GOTY this year.
7) You never know, but I'm leaning towards no.
8) He's gonna be in the audience for sure, but he may or may not be shown on camera.
9) Yes, without question, a generation 8 pokemon will take one of those 6 slots.
10) No.

Man, you're pessimistic 😉

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017

Will Nintendo reveal gameplay for the next 3D Mario game? No, maybe in 2021

Will Donkey Kong Country return? Yes, most definitely. DK is huge in Europe, it needs a new title.

Will the next Paper Mario game score above 85 Metacritic on average? I expect it to be in line with Mario & Luigi, so no.

Will Doug Bowser make another Bowser joke? We'd be lucky if we see him talk again.

Will PlatinumGames announce an expansion pass for Bayonetta 3? No, but they'll definitely announce another Switch game to be released in 2020

Will a Nintendo-published game be nominated for The Game Awards GOTY? Most definitely, Bayonetta 3.

Will a third-party character become playable in Super Mario Maker 2? Nope

Will Shigeru Miyamoto make a guest appearance at Ubisoft's E3 2020 press conference? Let the man finish Pikmin 4 in peace.

Will a first-party character join the fight in Fighters Pass Vol. 2 this year? Yes, Rillaboom

Will Nintendo announce and release a major new IP for both retail and digital? (Think Splatoon or Astral Chain, $60 retail with pretty graphics) Not just one but multiple, I expect. One of them will be from Platinum.

Here are my answers.

Magic-Man

User requested ban
Feb 5, 2019
Epic Universe
That I sure am.

Seriously, I think this year is gonna be like 2018, and people will be disappointed. While next year is when they come out with the heavy hitters (Mario 3D, BOTW sequel, Pokémon D/P remakes). 2020 is more of a stop gap year.

Nah. There's no way this year is that bad, they're going up against new consoles. They'll be blown out if they have nothing to combat them.

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
Yep sadly. Oh well, I guess it's hoping for a Direct announcement like most MH games on Nintendo platforms now...

Not to say it's a definite thing by any means, but I like the way old boy Gaijinhunter thinks:

If they really wanted to save such an announcement for E3, and after the "roadmap" for this period is over, that's entirely Capcom and Nintendo's prerogative. It would possibly mean we then wouldn't get the game likely until Q1 2021, but whatever.

Deleted member 51691

Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Here are my answers.
I think expecting another big new IP from Platinum so soon after finishing Astral Chain is too much. I'd be happy if Bayonetta 3 makes 2020. (Speaking of which I need to buy Bayo 2 on Switch eventually. That thing will never go on sale anyway it seems.)
Not to say it's a definite thing by any means, but I like the way old boy Gaijinhunter thinks:

If they really wanted to save such an announcement for E3, and after the "roadmap" for this year is over, that's entirely Capcom and Nintendo's prerogative. It would possibly mean we then wouldn't get the game likely until Q1 2021, but whatever.

We can only hope. If you believe Zippo he said good things from Capcom are coming.

Magic-Man

User requested ban
Feb 5, 2019
Epic Universe
To be fair this thread has only been open a week and already has 5K posts and I assume it'll blow up if a direct is announced.

If it's a general Direct, this thread will get shut down.

The real fun begins afterwards, when people....
  1. Begin to think that BOTW2 isn't coming this year because it wasn't shown
  2. Worry that there's going to be too many ports and remasters this year
  3. Insult leakers like Zippo and Emily because the games they hinted at weren't announced just yet
  4. "NINTENDO HATES US! THEY REFUSE TO BRING BACK DEAD, UNPOPULAR FRANCHISES LIKE EARTHBOUND, 3D DONKEY KONG, AND F-ZERO! WE'RE DOOOOOMED!
That last part is an exaggeration... Sorta.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
I think expecting another big new IP from Platinum so soon after finishing Astral Chain is too much. I'd be happy if Bayonetta 3 makes 2020. (Speaking of which I need to buy Bayo 2 on Switch eventually. That thing will never go on sale anyway it seems.)

Platinum has already teased that there will be announcements in 2020 in their new years message. There guys are big enough to work on 3-4 games at once, I wouldn't be surprised if there is one more game they have for Switch this year.

I also don't expect them to work on next gen right away. Maybe Nintendo could ink an exclusive deal with them? That would totally worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.