• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Alright gang, how does the Pokémon Direct affect our chances?

• #TeamAppetizer (a Direct will come between 1/14 and 1/17)

Votes: 806 70.6%
  • #TeamEntrée (this is the main course; another Direct won’t come until later)

Votes: 237 20.8%
  • I'm on #TeamAppetizer, but I don't necessarily think it will happen next week.

Votes: 99 8.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Pikmin 3 and 3D World are definitely a matter of "when".

Only other ports I think seem likely are the two Zelda remasters and Yoshi's Woolly World.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
Uhh, most Wii U games aren't bad, and W101 and XCX are in no way classics. I'd take 3D World, Pikmin, etc over those any day.
there's a 90% chance those ports are Pikmin 3 and 3D World, not bad games by any mean.
I didn't include Pikmin and 3D World because it's basically a given at this point that they're getting ports. Really good games, but we know all they'll get a port someday whatever happens anyway.
Can't say the same about games like W101, XCX, or Fatal Frame...

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely, I think 2020 will be just as good as 2017 and 2019.

In 2017, I said Switch will go down as the greatest software library that Nintendo ever had. And I've stuck to that belief every year. I don't say it to be a delusional Nintendo fangirl. I genuinely believe that -- in the very end -- Switch's software library will wipe the floor with SNES, GameCube, DS, 3DS. And it won't even be close. Not even close at all.

There's still a ton of unannounced games. Switch owners will continue to be bombarded with software (first party, third party, indie).

Big words, this makes me excited but I'll doubt it still. Switch will only come close to GCN and SNES when it gets Metroid, F-Zero and a true Paper Mario game to me. If it somehow revives those along with Golden Sun, Custom Robo, and Wave Race then all that we will need is for Sega to stop dicking around and give us Skies of Arcadia again. GCN is the only one who had all of those games save for Golden Sun, so the switch still has big shoes to fill when it comes to the more often ignored franchises from Nintendo. For those few of us who are nintendo fans but don't care about Zelda it is a punishing existance.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Pikmin 3 and 3D World are definitely a matter of "when".

Only other ports I think seem likely are the two Zelda remasters and Yoshi's Woolly World.
I don't think Nintendo or Good-Feel will be interested in porting over Woolly World; they already ported it once to the 3DS, and they already have a Yoshi title out on the Switch.

Don't get me wrong, i'd like a Woolly World port that gives us the best of both versions (HD visuals + the 3DS exclusive content), but i'm not so sure about it.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Big words, this makes me excited but I'll doubt it still. Switch will only come close to GCN and SNES when it gets Metroid, F-Zero and a true Paper Mario game to me. If it somehow revives those along with Golden Sun, Custom Robo, and Wave Race then all that we will need is for Sega to stop dicking around and give us Skies of Arcadia again. GCN is the only one who had all of those games save for Golden Sun, so the switch still has big shoes to fill when it comes to the more often ignored franchises from Nintendo. For those few of us who are nintendo fans but don't care about Zelda it is a punishing existance.
The Game Cube library is overated and that's from someone that adores Path of Radiance and Paper Mario, and that lived my time with it.

The Wii had a better library than the Gamecube imo.

Switch is in another league in sheer number of high quality games and this is only three years in.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Game Cube library is overated and that's from someone that adores Path of Radiance and Paper Mario.

The Wii had a better library than the Gamecube imo.

Switch is in another league in sheer number of high quality games and this is only three years in.
the Wii U had a better library than the GCN

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think Nintendo or Good-Feel will be interested in porting over Woolly World; they already ported it once to the 3DS, and they already have a Yoshi title out on the Switch.

Don't get me wrong, i'd like a Woolly World port that gives us the best of both versions (HD visuals + the 3DS exclusive content), but i'm not so sure about it.

I don't expect it anytime soon since Crafted World just came out in 2019.

It would make sense though near the end of the Switch's life, around 2022 or so. Especially if Good Feel does move onto something new other than Yoshi, just to keep the series going in the meantime.

Luke88

One Winged Slayer
Dec 29, 2018
Italy

I think if we (hopefully) get a game that isn't Yoshi next from Good Feel (crossing fingers for Wario Land) I could see them porting over Woolly World in the final years of the Switch lifespan since Crafted World wasn't met with much excitement.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Assuming we are only talking first party games.

Wii-U>GCN=Wii

I know it might not be a popular opinion, but for me when you line up both systems, Gamecube and Wii are pretty much even for me with their first party lineups.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I don't expect it anytime soon since Crafted World just came out in 2019.

It would make sense though near the end of the Switch's life, around 2022 or so. Especially if Good Feel does move onto something new other than Yoshi, just to keep the series going in the meantime.

I kinda hope that Good Feel makes a new Wario Land game and save Yoshi for the next system. One game/system is perfect for the green dinosaur.

Mr.Fletcher

Nov 18, 2017
UK
I think Monolith is working on Xenoblade DE right now but some think otherwise, who would be able to handle this Remake if this was the case ?

you mean Gatch removal, right ? Btw yes, I also thought about a Xeno 2 revision sometime in the distant future

I don't hate the gacha system - though I understand why some people do - and appreciate the desire to make individual playthroughs unique.

I think you can preserve that aspiration while sanding off some of the rough edges.

Increase drop rates, extend the pity system (which stops after four guaranteed rare blades at the moment) and allow players to purchase overdrives.

With a few small changes you could keep the intent behind the mechanic, but make it so you're getting rare blades faster, while also being guaranteed to eventually complete your collection.

If you could combine that with a reduction of field skill requirements and cutting out some of the irritating menu navigation associated with field skills, I think you could smooth the overall experience out.

I don't think a hypothetical rerelease would scrap major mechanics - as much as some would like - but I think the existing systems can be improved.

Ryng™

Nov 2, 2017
Italy
GC is one of my favourite console ever and used even to be my favourite for a while. But i'll admin that's mostly because of third party.

Playing all Nintendo exclusives AND than playing all Splinter cell, Prince of Persia, Spiderman, Resident Evil, and many other but mostly these, and with a better PS2 graphic was awesome.

But in term of first party, GC was worse than Wii and Wii U.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
I want a good wrestling game on my Switch, preferably with at least AA budget and not carrying WWE license.

AEW or NJPW.

Come on, Ninty, you know your portable local multi machine isn't complete without a good wrestling game.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
I want a good wrestling game on my Switch, preferably with at least AA budget and not carrying WWE license.

AEW or NJPW.

Come on, Ninty, you know your portable local multi machine isn't complete without a good wrestling game.
Somewhere within the depths of EPD, a reimagining of NES Pro Wrestling is currently being crafted.

FrakEarth

Oct 25, 2017
Liverpool, UK
I always think of GameCube as having great "second party" titles. Although some of those you could probably consider first party or as good as.. it was all about the trio of Nintendo AAA first party, gems like Luigi's Mansion and Wave Race, Star Wars, Rareware's final games for Nintendo, and awesome stuff like Donkey Kong Jungle Beat, GBA Player, MGS TS, Eternal Darkness, The Capcom 5... Able to be enjoyed alongside great games like Burnout 2, Beyond Good & Evil, etc. Very underrated at the time, but people seem to appreciate it today.

The Wii U was more enjoyable / useful to me than the GC and Wii for me personally, but largely owing to great backwards compatibility alongside great exclusive games.

I need 3d World and Art Academy again.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
GameCube library is better than Wii and WiiU, sans Mario. Too much quality 3rd party support, particularly exclusives, and the first party output hit a lot of notes that Nintendo has since gotten away from.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Going back to the earlier discussion about Platinum co-owning the IPs they made for Nintendo, it was something I remember talking about in the Smash thread but the whole shared IP ownership seems to have been a "thing" with Nintendo's semi-autonomous studios and even development partners ever since the 90s. That's how Rare managed to slip into Microsoft while still holding onto Banjo (which is when the rights went from being co-owned to all rights reserved).

teFJMm8.jpg
h67S4xH.jpg

Nintendo are probably a bit more "protective" of their IP now than they might've been back then but even Monolithsoft owns some portion of the Xenoblade rights on their own, since they're credited the same way (and hence why Monolithsoft show up as a unique company in Smash's character copyright listings among multiple others like Ape/HAL for Ness/Kirby etc.). You can also tell that isn't just some courtesy developer nod given that Bayonetta 2 doesn't list Platinum as a rights owner.

So yeah, TW101 and Astral Chain are - likely to a small extent - owned by Platinum, at least enough that Nintendo would have to credit them if they use the properties in anything else.

FrakEarth

Oct 25, 2017
Liverpool, UK
How much time would this need to become abordable enough for a 299$ machine ?
Ampere is an architecture rather than a product as I understand it... There will be many ampere products. The X1 in Switch is Maxwell based I believe, coming from 2014, and switch launched about 3 years later. Doesn't necessarily follow that there would be a similar distance in time, but you're right, any product would need to meet the right cost and thermal requirements for Nintendo. I'd be curious to know what's actually likely in a successor, the decision could well effect whether the successor enjoys as good a software eco system as we enjoy now..

Deleted member 43657

User requested account closure
Banned
May 19, 2018
Super Mario Sunshine HD CONFIRMED
I hope this happens. I love this game despite its flaws and I think it would be stellar with a few tweaks here and there. I would love the option to have "normal" camera controls, and it would be great if they fixed some of the unintentionally frustrating levels.

I love the summer vibes of this game, and the soundtrack.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017

AEW or NJPW.

Cody Rhodes has been in contact with Style Savvy and WWF No Mercy creators Syn Sophia. I think a game will definitely happen and since Syn Sophia is a Nintendo associate and Cody is a gigantic Nintendo fan, Switch will get that game. Maybe even as a exclusive?

laziboi

Alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2019
Your Anus
GameCube library is better than Wii and WiiU, sans Mario. Too much quality 3rd party support, particularly exclusives, and the first party output hit a lot of notes that Nintendo has since gotten away from.

Wii is honestly better than the Gamecube from a first party standpoint, save for a few misfires. When you consider Japan only games, it has more variety and new ideas than the endless Mario Spin-offs the Gamecube ended up getting towards the end of its life.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
You were pointing at the screen.

I can't for the love of me imagine a cursor based lightgun-esque thing not being utter ass to control with a stick. Was that an option? How does even remotely match the speed and accuracy of IR.
It doesn't that's how lol. And that's what took me out of it. A personal problem I will acknowledge, but I don't have any love for that darn Wiimote.

I know the truth hurts, but that's what it is :P
I just didn't find waggle controls to be fun. I just want a normal controller to play my games man.

Wii is honestly better than the Gamecube from a first party standpoint, save for a few misfires. When you consider Japan only games, it has more variety and new ideas than the endless Mario Spin-offs the Gamecube ended up getting towards the end of its life.
You say that like it's a bad thing. GC got debatably the best Mario Party games, and many often prefer the GC iteration of Mario Sports games over the Wii's.
Once you look at third parties it's a wash for GC for the most part. Wii often either had completely inferior versions or gimmicky spin off versions of its third party releases.

Status
Not open for further replies.